butta54

Which Young QB Would You Build A Team With?

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Young QB Do You Take

• Cam Newton
    • Matt Stafford
    • Andrew Luck
    • Russell Wilson

If you were building a team from scratch which young signal caller would you choose to run your offense and why?

Feel free to take anything into consideration as far as on-field skills, leadership qualities, off-field character, personality, football IQ, and etc....

Edited by butta55

Interesting that RGIII and Kaep aren't even options. But I'd still go with Luck.

• Upvote 2

Interesting that RGIII and Kaep aren't even options. But I'd still go with Luck.

Thought the same thing. Also, surprised Matt Stafford was up there.

But, anyways, I went with Luck. I think he'll end up being the best of these guys and he has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. I wanted to go with Cam, but I wouldn't want my franchise having an ego like Cam does.

Ha I knew people would want to bring up other names which is why I purposely only choose a handful of names to focus the topic on just the list I put out there. Nothing against other guys.

I agree with you Kemp on Cam's ego. I like Staford , I just think injuries will stick with him throughout his career, and the knees are just too big a question mark with RG3, being as I have options. I think Luck does have the potential to truly be great, and the best QB taken last year. so I guess my pick is biased, but I love Wilson's threat to run, but the fact it's not what he looks to first, or even second. Also his mental understanding of the game, at this stage, I feel gives him the edge over Luck in the win now side of the game, or at least I'm hoping.

Edited by 12th Man

Thought the same thing. Also, surprised Matt Stafford was up there.

But, anyways, I went with Luck. I think he'll end up being the best of these guys and he has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. I wanted to go with Cam, but I wouldn't want my franchise having an ego like Cam does.

Luck's arm talent, football acumen, and athleticism are tough to beat. And I love the fact that he can run, but usually doesn't. I think that's going to help keep him healthy over the long term.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you Kemp on Cam's ego. I really like Bradford, I just think injuries will stick with him throughout his career, and the knees are just too big a question mark with RG3, being as I have options. I think Luck does have the potential to truly be great, and the best QB taken last year. so I guess my pick is biased, but I love Wilson's threat to run, but the fact it's not what he looks to first, or even second. Also his mental understanding of the game, at this stage, I feel gives him the edge over Luck in the win now side of the game, or at least I'm hoping.

My bad on the double post. I tried to edit, and the lack of sleep and using the phone combo didn't work right.

I agree with you Kemp on Cam's ego. I like Staford , I just think injuries will stick with him throughout his career, and the knees are just too big a question mark with RG3, being as I have options. I think Luck does have the potential to truly be great, and the best QB taken last year. so I guess my pick is biased, but I love Wilson's threat to run, but the fact it's not what he looks to first, or even second. Also his mental understanding of the game, at this stage, I feel gives him the edge over Luck in the win now side of the game, or at least I'm hoping.

It's Mr. GoodellSucks that you agree with on that first bit, but I hear you. If Luck was off the table, I'd take Wilson.

Since I'm a homer I'm taking Stafford. I've already said I think he's gonna be the best outa all of them this upcoming season.

But the none homer in me is saying Cam Newton. There isn't a QB as physically gifted outside of maybe Colin K, and if I'm starting a new franchise, I'm taking the most physically gifted guy. Stafford being #2 because of arm strength.

Well starting over from scratch is kinda what the Colts did last year. A few key vets remained(Wayne, Mathis, Freeney-now gone) but a ton of names let go......who were not just named Manning either. Clark, Addai, Saturday, Brackett etc...

And almost all the coaches.

And the GM and his son who was his right hand man.

Irsay did serious spring cleaning early.

Plus a fanbase going nuts at times (not all of us ;)) due to the release of Manning and company.

So yeah I go Luck.

Edited by Jules
  • Upvote 1

Well starting over from scratch is kinda what the Colts did last year. A few key vets remained(Wayne, Mathis, Freeney-now gone) but a ton of names let go......who were not just named Manning either. Clark, Addai, Saturday, Brackett etc...

And almost all the coaches.

And the GM and his son who was his right hand man.

Irsay did serious spring cleaning early.

Plus a fanbase going nuts at times (not all of us ;)) due to the release of Manning and company.

So yeah I go Luck.

I think you guys overpaid some of your free agents, but Cherilus and Thomas should still be big upgrades for Luck's protection. If they pan out and Castonzo continues to improve, there could be a big difference in the amount of time Luck has to throw this year. Because no QB in the league, rookie or otherwise, took as much pressure as he did. So for him to have the season he did as a rookie, surrounded by rookies, with next to no time is scary.

• Upvote 1

I consider luck and Wilson 1a and 1b. They have the best understanding of the game and all the tools to get it done. I don't care for the other 2 in the least Stafford especially is totally overrated and would be out of the league w/o megaton. He is very inaccurate and does not read defenses well and has already had several injuries. Cam has the possibility to mature but I don't think he has what it takes upstairs to really lead any team.

Bunch of new faces posting in this thread, I like it! TGP%20Yep%20Gif.gif

I reaaaaly wanted Andrew Luck and wished it was the Browns year to pick first. He has such enormous upside. I have to consider how each QB would fit without their current talent and coaching staff around them. Stafford without Megatron? Wilson without that stellar unit?

It's between Cam and Luck with Luck getting an edge.

• Upvote 2

I reaaaaly wanted Andrew Luck and wished it was the Browns year to pick first. He has such enormous upside. I have to consider how each QB would fit without their current talent and coaching staff around them. Stafford without Megatron? Wilson without that stellar unit?

It's between Cam and Luck with Luck getting an edge.

Basically this. Cam and Luck are easily the best QB's out of the group. Their talent exceeds the rest of the bunch. I give Luck the nod because he's more mature from a mental standpoint.

I consider luck and Wilson 1a and 1b. They have the best understanding of the game and all the tools to get it done. I don't care for the other 2 in the least Stafford especially is totally overrated and would be out of the league w/o megaton. He is very inaccurate and does not read defenses well and has already had several injuries. Cam has the possibility to mature but I don't think he has what it takes upstairs to really lead any team.

Oh my God... Here we go again. The ignorance... Is too real...

Well for every Ngata there's a dud.

• Upvote 2

I think you guys overpaid some of your free agents, but Cherilus and Thomas should still be big upgrades for Luck's protection. If they pan out and Castonzo continues to improve, there could be a big difference in the amount of time Luck has to throw this year. Because no QB in the league, rookie or otherwise, took as much pressure as he did. So for him to have the season he did as a rookie, surrounded by rookies, with next to no time is scary.

Yeah I am unsure about some of our offseason moves but I will wait and see how it works out since I am no expert there by any means. I can't complain, we used to do little to nothing in FA with Bill Polian and we always wanted to. So now we did and everyone I know is still complaining. :rofl:

Absolutely though, Luck needs more time to throw. It will help though if Hamilton can tone down some of his rookie found gunslinger mentality too. :p

Basically this. Cam and Luck are easily the best QB's out of the group. Their talent exceeds the rest of the bunch. I give Luck the nod because he's more mature from a mental standpoint.

Yeah sometimes I feel Cam is a tad immature but I try not to overly judge him too.

Quite a talent though. I hope the Panthers can get into the playoffs in the next year or two since I think they could be a dark horse if they are good enough to get to the postseason. Considering I have relatives in NC who are die hard Panthers fans I REALLY hope they make the playoffs soon since they are getting antsy at times I feel. :p

In terms of teams, I like the entire NFC South if you can believe it.

Andrew Luck would be my choice with no close second.

He has already demonstrated what he can do in leading a team to the playoffs, even if that team is lacking in proven talent comparatively speaking.

• Upvote 1

Yeah sometimes I feel Cam is a tad immature but I try not to overly judge him too.

Quite a talent though. I hope the Panthers can get into the playoffs in the next year or two since I think they could be a dark horse if they are good enough to get to the postseason. Considering I have relatives in NC who are die hard Panthers fans I REALLY hope they make the playoffs soon since they are getting antsy at times I feel. :p

In terms of teams, I like the entire NFC South if you can believe it.

Oh, I don't judge Cam. Luck just showed more maturity and leadership when his team was down. He got his team together and mounted some comeback wins. Cam on the other hand in the beginning of the year had his towel over his head on the sideline. Granted he did get better as the year progressed. Both have an incredible ceiling and carried the weight of the teams on their shoulders. If I really had the choice of picking either Cam or Luck, I would truly struggle with that decision. Luck and Cam are amazing talents. Both with great arms and can make any throw; truly worth the 1st overall pick. Both are mobile but Cam is quite more dangerous as a runner and that's very appealing to me. He's not like a Vick or RG3 runner who runs dangerously either. If Cam progressed a bit more with his leadership capabilities showed a full season of maturity through the good and bad, I'd probably take Cam. But as of right now, Luck slightly has the edge.

Oh, I don't judge Cam. Luck just showed more maturity and leadership when his team was down. He got his team together and mounted some comeback wins. Cam on the other hand in the beginning of the year had his towel over his head on the sideline. Granted he did get better as the year progressed. Both have an incredible ceiling and carried the weight of the teams on their shoulders. If I really had the choice of picking either Cam or Luck, I would truly struggle with that decision. Luck and Cam are amazing talents. Both with great arms and can make any throw; truly worth the 1st overall pick. Both are mobile but Cam is quite more dangerous as a runner and that's very appealing to me. He's not like a Vick or RG3 runner who runs dangerously either. If Cam progressed a bit more with his leadership capabilities showed a full season of maturity through the good and bad, I'd probably take Cam. But as of right now, Luck slightly has the edge.

Good post.

Big year for Cam coming up. Lets hope he has matured into a better all around leader in year 3. He can show his frustration too easily I agree.

Hey everyone, first post on here. Sorry if it's a little long-winded haha.

Anyways, I may be a bit biased here but my pick is my team's QB, Andrew Luck. No young QB has done more with less than him. Sure he threw a 18 picks, but don't most rookies when they are forced to throw the ball 627 times(Wilson(10 ints) and RG3(5 ints) both threw it 393 times for comparison). The supporting cast of the redskins and seahawks is also much better than who Luck had. I think the free agent additions and coaching change is only going to help him even more. Bruce Arians, as great of a coach as he is, put a lot on Luck's shoulders and had a playbook relying on long, deep balls requiring Luck to hold the ball for a long time while play develops, and behind that revolving door of an O-line, you can guess what happened. It scared many of us Colts fans I'm sure as we don't want the future of the franchise getting killed after every play. But hit after hit and sack after sack he got up, patted the tackler on the back, saying "Nice Job" and went back to the huddle never calling out a teammate because they didn't block the guy, a true leader. I think the thing I like most about Luck so far is he's a winner, with so many 4th quarter comebacks and last minute drives, it was truly a thrill to watch. The guy never gives up and always thinks his team has a chance to win, and the best part is the team truly believes in him already, even only after 1 season. I've never seen a player come into the league with bigger shoes to fill and go about his business like Luck did. He exceeded all expectations(even mine, thinking we may go 6-10 if lucky(no pun intended))Not saying I don't like either RG3 or Wilson, but if I had to pick out of any qb under 25 in the league, it's definitely Luck.

Cam Newton would be my #2. He's a physical beast and if that was a "sophomore slump" this next year is about to be crazy for him. I really think the Panthers have done a great job building in the past 3 drafts and continue to gather needs(they still really need a WR though, Steve Smith is getting old and needs an heir to learn under him soon). That defense has vastly improved also with Kuechley, Star, and Kawann Short, that D-line will be scary next year, which will help Cam have better field position. I think Cam is smart enough and athletic enough to be an elite QB in the near future.

If it matters, my #3 is Russell Wilson. I watched many Seahawks games as my roommate is a huge fan of them(I probably know more about Seahawks then most hawks fans haha). He had great accuracy, poise, and a great teammate/person off the field. He's also very smart and doesn't make many mistakes. He does have the best supporting cast out of the 3 I have listed and probably the 2nd best(best being Kaepernick). It will be interesting to see how his 2nd year goes. My other pick here would probably be Kaep, but he didn't play enough games to rate him this high yet, even if he did go to a Super Bowl(49ers are stacked). I'm interested to see how he fairs throughout an entire 16+ game season.

I really think all 3 of these guys will be around for a long time and be top-10 qbs, if not top 5/"elite" in the next few years. I'm definitely going to enjoy watching them all grow up and see how they grow and build from season to season.

• Upvote 2

Hey everyone, first post on here. Sorry if it's a little long-winded haha.

Anyways, I may be a bit biased here but my pick is my team's QB, Andrew Luck. No young QB has done more with less than him. Sure he threw a 18 picks, but don't most rookies when they are forced to throw the ball 627 times(Wilson(10 ints) and RG3(5 ints) both threw it 393 times for comparison). The supporting cast of the redskins and seahawks is also much better than who Luck had. I think the free agent additions and coaching change is only going to help him even more. Bruce Arians, as great of a coach as he is, put a lot on Luck's shoulders and had a playbook relying on long, deep balls requiring Luck to hold the ball for a long time while play develops, and behind that revolving door of an O-line, you can guess what happened. It scared many of us Colts fans I'm sure as we don't want the future of the franchise getting killed after every play. But hit after hit and sack after sack he got up, patted the tackler on the back, saying "Nice Job" and went back to the huddle never calling out a teammate because they didn't block the guy, a true leader. I think the thing I like most about Luck so far is he's a winner, with so many 4th quarter comebacks and last minute drives, it was truly a thrill to watch. The guy never gives up and always thinks his team has a chance to win, and the best part is the team truly believes in him already, even only after 1 season. I've never seen a player come into the league with bigger shoes to fill and go about his business like Luck did. He exceeded all expectations(even mine, thinking we may go 6-10 if lucky(no pun intended))Not saying I don't like either RG3 or Wilson, but if I had to pick out of any qb under 25 in the league, it's definitely Luck.

Cam Newton would be my #2. He's a physical beast and if that was a "sophomore slump" this next year is about to be crazy for him. I really think the Panthers have done a great job building in the past 3 drafts and continue to gather needs(they still really need a WR though, Steve Smith is getting old and needs an heir to learn under him soon). That defense has vastly improved also with Kuechley, Star, and Kawann Short, that D-line will be scary next year, which will help Cam have better field position. I think Cam is smart enough and athletic enough to be an elite QB in the near future.

If it matters, my #3 is Russell Wilson. I watched many Seahawks games as my roommate is a huge fan of them(I probably know more about Seahawks then most hawks fans haha). He had great accuracy, poise, and a great teammate/person off the field. He's also very smart and doesn't make many mistakes. He does have the best supporting cast out of the 3 I have listed and probably the 2nd best(best being Kaepernick). It will be interesting to see how his 2nd year goes. My other pick here would probably be Kaep, but he didn't play enough games to rate him this high yet, even if he did go to a Super Bowl(49ers are stacked). I'm interested to see how he fairs throughout an entire 16+ game season.

I really think all 3 of these guys will be around for a long time and be top-10 qbs, if not top 5/"elite" in the next few years. I'm definitely going to enjoy watching them all grow up and see how they grow and build from season to season.

I agree with your sentiments exactly. Good post and welcome to the boards!