Sign in to follow this  
BC

Hawks/Niners to become the next Ravens/Steelers?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will SF/SEA live up to the intensity of a PIT/BAL type rivalry?

• Yes
    • No

There is a story being discussed live right now on www.kjram.com (a Seahawks fan-base led sports radio) about Jim Harbaugh being asked about the Seahawks league policy abuse. Harbaugh remarked about how the game should be played clean, within the rules, and that if you're cheating to win, you've already lost. Also said that when its called "adderall" that it can be absolutely anything. The Seahawks radio station is commenting about how this just proves Harbaugh's and Carroll's hatred for each other that goes back to their college days with USC/Stanford.

With having two teams ranked in the top 3 in the NFL power rankings, and two very hard-nosed defenses and some heated games played last year, and young, talented quarterbacks, these teams look like they could both be atop the league for a good decade.

You decide. Is this going to become the next huge rivalry in the NFL?

As it stands right now, the Seahawks vs 49ers are the best rivalry in football. Will it live up to the intensity of the Steelers vs Ravens match ups with the franchise and historic legends like Big Ben, Hines Ward, Ed Reed, and Ray Lewis? I'm not sure. Those Steelers vs Ravens games were brutal. We are talking broken bones, bloodied noses, tough, knitty gritty, smack mouth football. Steelers vs Ravens games seemed to embody what football really was; a tough and violent sport. You knew you were in for a great football game when they squared off. The Ravens vs Steelers games was a great rivalry for years. You can't just be better than a historic rivalry in just one year. The Seahawks and 49ers are two young and very talented football teams that should be good for a long time. They make for some exciting games but they have some years to go before they can reach the height of the Ravens and Steelers rivalry.

Edited by dutchff7

Both teams have to be competitive at least with one another for a sustained period of time before it becomes a rivalry. Just because they're in the same division and both had a great season last year doesn't make it a rivalry just yet.

I haven't had alot of people agree with me and this will be no different im sure, but to be honest i think this has a chance to be a even better rivalry than PIT and BAL has been. Of course it starts with hard nose D, which these 2 teams have and smack talk? You got the loudest player in the game right now in Richard Sherman and Seattle embraces it and will some what duplicate it and leaders of San Fans D like Patrick Wills will be quite with his mouth and loud with his hits but Navarro Bowman is a pretty chatty guy next to Willis. The skill of both the defenses are amazing and only growing and getting better. Something that Baltimore and Pitsburgh hasn't had was hardnose up the middle running like both teams have in Lynch and Gore. Theres nothiong like running the ball right at the D you despise, taking every hit they deliever and wearing them out mentally and phisically 2 of the best running backs tin the league that do just that. Then you look at the QB position and from last year till the end of their careers and denpending on how they do, post career, Kapernick and Wilson will always be compared. Along with the others but there will be alittle more competition with Collin and Wilson and much more comparison. And as you mentioned the coaches have no love loss between each other since there college days! Another thing this rivarly has that Pitsburgh and Baltimore didn't have was coach haterd. You can't deny that Baltimore and Pitsburgh's games, every game they played against each other, had a playoff feel to it because they knew one of those 2 teams were going to win that division. And it'll be no different with San Fran and Seattle this year and probably the years to come. As a Cardinals fan this pains me, but as a football fan its exciting at the same time. No better teams in the NFC, no bigger rivarly in the game from last year untill..... well, who knows! NFC from worst to first and it'll take alittle while with this being a less talked about division but i believe more people will start to see what you've brought up comparing these rivalries.

I love Jim Harbaugh and I love the 49ers.

I hate Pete Carroll and I hate the Seahawks.

This rivalry is just getting started. Both teams have two young QBs making big strides, both of whom are surrounded by a veritable smorgasbord of talent. The two games from last season were both intense affairs. It's only going to get better. Can't wait for this season!

I love Pete Carroll and love the Seahawks

I hate Hairbag and the niners

But I agree completely, that it's just getting started. To have that kind of rivalry, is going to require season ending/championship run dashing losses on both sides. We have enough regular season angst. We need sick in your guts pain to go along with it. The kind of hatred that stews for 12 months until the postseason next year and isn't washed out until you return the favor. I'm sick to death of hearing '42-13', as if that's any consolation at all.

I so SOO wished Seattle could have held up it's end of the deal and played the NFCC in San Fransisco. That game would have sealed the deal. Maybe this year :)

• Upvote 1

As it stands right now, the Seahawks vs 49ers are the best rivalry in football. Will it live up to the intensity of the Steelers vs Ravens match ups with the franchise and historic legends like Big Ben, Hines Ward, Ed Reed, and Ray Lewis? I'm not sure. Those Steelers vs Ravens games were brutal. We are talking broken bones, bloodied noses, tough, knitty gritty, smack mouth football. Steelers vs Ravens games seemed to embody what football really was; a tough and violent sport. You knew you were in for a great football game when they squared off. The Ravens vs Steelers games was a great rivalry for years. You can't just be better than a historic rivalry in just one year. The Seahawks and 49ers are two young and very talented football teams that should be good for a long time. They make for some exciting games but they have some years to go before they can reach the height of the Ravens and Steelers rivalry.

OkungPancakesSmith.gif

seahawks3.gif

49ers2.gif

Vernon_original.gif?1356322696

Edited by True Blue

OkungPancakesSmith.gif

seahawks3.gif

49ers2.gif

Vernon_original.gif?1356322696

It doesn't equate to the height of the Ravens and Steelers match ups. No where near as brutal. Sorry.

Edited by dutchff7

The point is, there's a lot of bad blood being revealed in interviews. The plots are clearly against each other and each have ill will towards each other, both think they are the best team in the conference, let alone their own division.

Edited by BC

It doesn't equate to the height of the Ravens and Steelers match ups. No where near as brutal. Sorry.

That's only a small portion of the violence in those games, that I could find in gifs. Hell, in the last game alone Vernon Davis, Mario Manningham, and I think one other 49er were all knocked out of the game with injury. The 2011 game in Seattle there was extra-curricular pushing and shoving and near brawls after every play. I'm surprised that no one's been ejected in the last four meetings.

I do believe it will eventually. Don't get me wrong this rivalry is intense now, it has all the makings of producing classic match ups. When these two teams get together, I expect to see a brawl, an all out WAR! This is gonna be fun!

Go Hawks! :Seahawks:

All I'm saying is that it doesn't match the height of the Steelers and Ravens games matchups. yet. It's a building rivalry. It's still fresh. It's going to take a while before any rivalry can match that type of intensity. The 49ers and Seahawks haven't even had a play off game yet. That alone takes rivalries to another level.

• Upvote 1

The 49ers and Seahawks haven't even had a play off game yet. That alone takes rivalries to another level.

This. Until one team ends another's season it's just foreplay. The games are big games but they haven't have a 'big' game yet.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the 49ers and Seahawks could ever match the Steelers and Ravens rivalry unless they had several playoff games against eachother. To me the Seahawks and 49ers rivalry is about the same as the Falcons and Saints. The fans hate each other, the players hate each other for the most part, the coaches aren't fond of one another, but they haven't yet had the big time play off games and rough housing attitude to define them. They're certainly coming though.

Yea, I agree that they have a ways to go. They haven't even squared off in the playoffs yet. The rivalry does have a lot of potential though.

• Upvote 1