Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Philosophical Ramblings

Well, I wasn't expecting that.

Obviously you won't get any crap from here for it, as I think Dmac is the only person here who I'd call religious (unless I forgot someone). I hope your family is ok with this.

And I guess if we're going through religious philosophies, I'm of the belief that if there is a God (and I think there is), simply being a good person should be enough to him. I don't think a God that feels any differently is one thats worth worshipping.

At the end of the day you gotta do whatever is best for yourself... And there's no point in being in a religion if you can't agree with it's morals. No playa hate from me. :p

If you've already shared this with family/friends You've probably heard this a million times and it's probably becoming an old cliche if any of them are Christian, but... Even if I don't know you on any personal level, I'm prayin for you.

• Upvote 2

This is why we need to teach people at a younger age to think deeper about stuff and ask the hard questions. Not only does it help you learn material facts and information in a deeper way, but you also learn about yourself and your real convictions about life. I applaud you for being open-minded enough to come to a turning point in your life and take a new road that makes more sense to you. A lot of people don't have the guts to do it for whatever reason (family, social pressures, afraid to start a new life from an unfamiliar viewpoint, etc...) It's obvious that this wasn't something you decided to do one day out of nowhere. Other people who do a similar amount of soul searching may eventually conclude that they need to stick with their faith in their religion, and that's fine too, because at least they thought for themselves instead of being fed lies and hypocrisy by an entire congregation full of people.

:clap:

• Upvote 2

Good on you, following what your mind knows to be true is more important than societal or familial pressures to believe something else.

I as I am sure many people can relate man, this is not just a Thanatos thing. It is happening more and more as people are becoming more educated about the world in general. Not to say being Christianity ignorant, just a different belief as occurs all the time. First kudos for having enough inner strength to be able to look at your demons and misgivings logically and being able to identify what exactly it was that was troubling you. Even more so for having the strength to say "I will go outside my comfort zone and try something else."

It is weird for me to say I am a Christian, but as weird as it sounds I am. Not in the sense most people think, but in my own way. It is interesting because there are a few things left out like the Gnostic gospels and such that just get ignored. I also believe that Jesus was an actual person. not because the bible says or anything like that, but because of how history unfolds. In general nobody writes a book about something that does not exist and holds it as evidence to a point. What I mean is that there is probably some kernel of truth because not only in the bible but the time of Jesus was documented by many others. Was he divine ? I dont know. Was his following as large as people say and inspire " The Written word of God?" I dont know. Was he ever more than anything but an inspirational guy who lived a wholesome life ? I dont know. Did he perform miracles ? I dont know. What I do know is that not only Christians acknowledge that there was an influential man that held the principles of monotheism and a loving creator as the centerpiece for his sermons. Now was some of that aggrandized so that way it would leave people in awe ? Most definitely. But I believe the man existed.

I can definitely understand where you have shed religion and it is probably going to serve you well as this was definitely thought out. And I completely understand your wrestling with the entire thing itself, because it is hard to believe certain excerpts when the book itself has what I consider to be half truths or stretchs of it at the least if just not outright lies.

I hope your lifestyle changes does you well and the fall out is somewhat mitigated by people already knowing that you are a good dude.

I was raised a Christian and confirmed by the Catholic church at age 13, but between 18 and 19 I had a similar evolution (pun intended) to you, Thanatos, and I think I'm a better person for being able to change my beliefs. I'm definitely not one of those "religion is all evil" people, but I definitely don't think it's for everyone. I could ramble on (another pun intended), but Sarge and Razor summed it up pretty well, I think.

I agree 100% with what you're saying. Like... word for fucking word. If I could give you a +100, I would... bravo, good sir.

Why don't we add some more ramblings.

I was thinking about this recently, but what if an autocrat is chosen by the people of a democracy to rule. Assuming that person was competent and deserved to rule, do you feel like that would compromise everything democracy stood for to let him/her rule indefinitely? It just has me curious, because in this situation, it would be a ruler chosen by the people, but you would be forsaking democratic rights for it.

Damn. I wanted this to be some super deep "meaning of life" kind of stuff. Philosophy = Awesome. Instead, it's a somewhat generic revelation that many young adults are experiencing these days.

While I am disappointed in the thread, I am glad that you have made sense of something in the world. I realize that sounds kind of sarcastic-ish, or it does when I read it to myself. But I mean it genuinely. The more answers we can provide ourselves, the less mystery to shroud our judgement... The better. Kudos.

Why don't we add some more ramblings.

I was thinking about this recently, but what if an autocrat is chosen by the people of a democracy to rule. Assuming that person was competent and deserved to rule, do you feel like that would compromise everything democracy stood for to let him/her rule indefinitely? It just has me curious, because in this situation, it would be a ruler chosen by the people, but you would be forsaking democratic rights for it.

In this case, it's not so much the change in the process that's the problem, it's that you can't guarantee that the ruler wouldn't be corrupted and then turn into a despot. And then, assuming you were to appoint someone who remained good throughout his reign, what are the odds that the next person appointed is the same?

Death ruins everything. If only immortal, benevolent dictators existed,

Another question: Do the details of the process matter if a good ruler is found?

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but Imo you're making a mistake by such a change in belief. I completely understand your reason, but still.

IMO when it gets to the point where you and the congregation that you are with have such differentiating opinions, it's better to leave the church and find another. While I am against "gay marriage" as much as the next Christian, to go as far as to say there's nothing wrong with how far places like Russia is doing... That's another level that I would never agree with. I would of left.

And as far as the OT is concerned, I really do think that when the time period isn't put into perspectives, it really paints a ugly picture. But it should just show how much more we have to be grateful about.

IDK, I know you've already made your decision, and it is what it is. But I have a really bad taste in my mouth, and conscious, with just standing by and not saying anything. A lot of things go through a person's mind as he gets older or starts trying to make sense of things, and there's nothing wrong with that... But to completely turn away is just discouraging stuff to hear.

• Upvote 1

It's not the particular congregation Dmac, it's my understanding of the Bible and interpretation of it leaving very little wiggle room. It doesn't matter what a particular point of view a particular congregation holds when I feel there is no way to read the Bible another way in this particular instance, (such as the thing with gays). Like I said, that wasn't the reason I left. The church as a whole treats gay people very poorly, and I just think that if people didn't look at the Bible first, but asked themselves whether or not it was okay to do and say what they were saying, that they would no longer believe it.

I also feel that the Bible clearly teaches young earth, six-day creationism, and this is in complete contradiction with pretty much everything science says. It's like the Bible is telling me the sky is green when I can look up and see that its blue.

Feel free to try to put the time period in perspective for this:

Exodus 21:20-21 “When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money."

So you can beat your slave as long as he doesn't die as a direct result. If he dies after a few days, then there is no need to punish the slaver because he's already been punished by the financial loss occurred by having his slave die. In other words, this passage treats slaves as less-than-human, which is my issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And it does seem like if God is eternally perfect and wise, his laws shouldn't be based around the morality of a backwards time period.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And he wouldn't participate in the wars and genocide enacted by the Israelites in their quest for the "Promised Land".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mav, I don't know if you intended to do so or not, but your post just stinks of a condescending attitude. First of all, I wouldn't classify a lot of TGP's members as pure atheists. We do have some pronounced atheists, but I also think that TGP has a lot of members who are constantly thinking about and re-evaluating their stance on things. That's a great thing. Like I told Thanatos in my post earlier in this thread, it would have been completely fine if, after all of this pondering, he decided to stick with his religious faith. There are plenty of intellectual people who think day after day about their stance on religion and remain with their beliefs. Thomas Aquinas is a prime example of that.

I think it's unfair to label everyone who thinks outside of religious terms as "atheist." Atheism is simply and clearly the belief that there is no God, and nobody or nothing could convince you otherwise. I think most people here, including Thanatos, are open to the possibility of a God if they were convinced that God exists. Again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but you have to re-read your post and see that it sounds like you're on some sort of high horse talking down to the rest of us.

I also don't think you've given Thanatos himself enough credit. He's an extremely intelligent guy, and it's obvious he put a ton of thought into this new direction in his life. You're treating him like he's some sort of lost sheep who has strayed from the rest of the pack. I don't think Thanatos would benefit very much from speaking with a church pastor. He probably already knows most if not all of what would be said by a pastor. Thanatos used to be very devoted to the Christian faith, so I'm sure there's not much that can be said that he doesn't already know about it. he doesn't need other people to challenge his decision when he himself has probably been challenging it internally for some time now, as he stated in his initial post that this change has taken more than a year to actually occur.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Man, I completely forgot about Mav in terms of religious posters here.

And shocker of all shockers...I agree with him. Look at this thread: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61889-are-you-religious-if-so-what-religion-why/

Having 50% of the people identify as not-religious is a lot more than a normal sample in the US. TGP members are not religious, and the people here having a positive opinion of becoming an atheist isn't surprising. Not that it means anything negative about the people here. Its just like how a Christian would support you agreeing with their mindset.

That poll is an extremely small sample size, so I think it would be wise take it with a fairly large grain of salt. Besides, that wasn't even the most important aspect of my post, either. This is:

I also don't think you've given Thanatos himself enough credit. He's an extremely intelligent guy, and it's obvious he put a ton of thought into this new direction in his life. You're treating him like he's some sort of lost sheep who has strayed from the rest of the pack. I don't think Thanatos would benefit very much from speaking with a church pastor. He probably already knows most if not all of what would be said by a pastor. Thanatos used to be very devoted to the Christian faith, so I'm sure there's not much that can be said that he doesn't already know about it. he doesn't need other people to challenge his decision when he himself has probably been challenging it internally for some time now, as he stated in his initial post that this change has taken more than a year to actually occur.

people judge very harshly in today's society. People make outlandish opinions appear to be facts.

No group of people anywhere on this earth is more guilty of this than Christians.

No group of people anywhere on this earth is more guilty of this than Christians.

You could be right, but many Christians even look down on Catholics too....

I also think there is a misconception often put out there that Muslims hate Christians more then anything. They do not like them but the people they hate the most has always been the Jews.

Religious wars will never be won on this planet IMO.....

Edited by Jules