Sign in to follow this  
BucMad

Buccaneers: Off-season grades

How would you grade the Bucs' offseason? It's essentially over, the draft is done and the Bucs will almost surely stand pat on their roster, barring injuries. They've mainly upgraded their defense, with some minor additions on offense. The secondary in particular has undergone a large scale makeover. The Bucs have been active for the second straight season -- but activity isn't always a positive. So give your grade. How have they done so far? What do you think they should have done, if you're not satisfied?

As a reminder, the Buccaneers' most significant moves:

Trading for Darrelle Revis

Trading for Gabe Carimi

Trading LeGarrette Blount for Jeff Demps and a seventh-round pick.

Signing Dashon Goldson

Signing Kevin Ogletree

Signing Jonathan Casillas

Signing Derek Landri

Signing Tom Crabtree

Letting Michael Bennett walk

Letting Roy Miller walk

Drafting Johnthan Banks, Mike Glennon, Akeem Spence, William Gholston, Steven Means and Mike James

GO :Bucs:

I'll give them a B+. The only reason it isn't an A is because I don't like how little we addressed the d-line. We have very little depth and our 3 good starters on the line are all injury prone. We let Bennett walk, who was our best DE last year and Roy Miller, who was solid and we could have brought him back for cheap. Hopefully Gholston and Spence can play well but that is asking them to do a lot for mid round rookies.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

We acquired the best player in the league at our biggest position of need...it is an A. :shrug:

Sure, there are some other things we could've done, but you can only do so much in one offseason and you have to be careful with the cap. Adding two All Pro players to our secondary looks good to me.

We acquired the best player in the league at our biggest position of need...it is an A. :shrug:

Sure, there are some other things we could've done, but you can only do so much in one offseason and you have to be careful with the cap. Adding two All Pro players to our secondary looks good to me.

There was no reason in letting Bennett go. I can understand Miller because I think we can really plug in just about anyone into his position, and they would play just as well, but Bennett was a headscratcher. He was our best DE last year, and he only got $5 mil from Seattle. Sorry, but I just don't trust Bowers and Clayborn at all to stay healthy and neither has shown they can be a good pass rusher.

There was no reason in letting Bennett go. I can understand Miller because I think we can really plug in just about anyone into his position, and they would play just as well, but Bennett was a headscratcher. He was our best DE last year, and he only got $5 mil from Seattle. Sorry, but I just don't trust Bowers and Clayborn at all to stay healthy and neither has shown they can be a good pass rusher.

I didn't like losing Bennett, but after getting Revis and his big contract it makes sense why they didn't want to tie up all that money when the cap will be tight with decisions to make. It sucks, but it depends on Bowers how well that decision pans out. But his loss doesn't drag the offseason down too much, Bennett did have a knack for getting most of his sacks against shitty OLs.

As for Miller, I was originally disppointed they just let him walk but it isn't a big deal or anything. Especially after drafting Spence. There is no reason to believe that Spence can't be as good, if not better than Miller was. It wasn't like he did a whole lot, he was considered a borderline bust until Schiano found a role for him that turned him into a productive run stuffer. If Spence is smart enough to learn what Schiano wants him to do, I can see him doing just fine for cheaper.

I think I would give them an A-. They definitely had the best off season in the NFC the way I look at it. Don't think they should have let Bennett walk, but it had to be done if they were to get Revis on that big contract. We'll see how it all shakes out. If it doesn't turn out well, you can't say they haven't tried.

When you nab the best CB in the league,along with an all-pro safety you have to get an A. Quality, not quantity, was the BUCS MO in this offseason.

Good points there! Personally I didn’t want Bennett to go either, but there was actually a reason behind it, he had a torn rotator cuff and he is just now starting to participate in Seahawks off-season activities. So I really didn't see it as a big deal, even more so now. I think he would have cost us too much money for a player that could still be struggling with an injury come this fall, even though he signed for less with Seattle. And really no one else was healthy then either. Now that Bowers and Clayborn are both healthy, I think that made Bennett expendable. So I would say his loss is entirely nullified by their health.

Revis and Goldson are going to make that secondary a lot better plus they drafted Johnthan Banks. I like what they did except letting Michael Bennett go. So it's an A-.

Good points there! Personally I didn't want Bennett to go either, but there was actually a reason behind it, he had a torn rotator cuff and he is just now starting to participate in Seahawks off-season activities. So I really didn't see it as a big deal, even more so now. I think he would have cost us too much money for a player that could still be struggling with an injury come this fall, even though he signed for less with Seattle. And really no one else was healthy then either. Now that Bowers and Clayborn are both healthy, I think that made Bennett expendable. So I would say his loss is entirely nullified by their health.

Good post and welcome to the boards.

Clayborn and Bowers are both currently healthy, but I don't trust that both of them will be healthy for all 16 games this year. It would be one thing if last year was their first big injury of their careers, but both of these guys had injury concerns in college as well. I just am really concerned if one of these guys goes down because we don't really have any depth behind them now that Bennett is gone.

From a Saints fan,

I give you guys a A! Just because you upgraded your major weakness and turned it into a strength. IMO it's more or less a wait and see thing, if the talent comes together you guys are a playoff team. If Josh Freeman can be more consistent, you guys are a playoff team. Also the ball is in Schiano’s court now, cause these off-season grades won’t mean JACK if he can’t get these guys on the same page. Just Ask Andy Reid.

Good luck this season!