Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

TX Sen Wendy Davis currently in 11th hour of filibuster

That's entirely subjective and based on your definition of a human. A fetus grows into a child at some point during the pregnancy, but I don't believe the fetus is itself a child.

One way or the other, it's part of the process, and because of that, pro-life supporters can and always will argue that it is a human life.

The parents of the child are responsible for the conception. They could have been more careful. I don't think it can even be debated that people aren't very careful when it comes to sex.

The "abortion is murder" argument doesn't quite connect with me. As George Carlin said, "If a fetus is a life, why doesn't the census count them?" Granted that comes from a comedian, but its substance has merit. On the other hand, take a look at the ripple effect a U.S. without abortions would create: all the children born into underprivileged homes, the increase in families going on food stamps, the total increase in federal spending necessitated by such socioeconomic factors.

Do I think it's totally okay that abortions go on in this world? No, of course not. I would rather they never happen, but such a concept is a euphoric dream. No matter how immoral I or anyone believes it to be, I do not believe the government has any right to legislate morality.

And perhaps even more importantly, I detest the fact that such social issues are considered political priorities in a country with so many economic problems.

• Upvote 2

The government already runs our lives for us, it's pretty natural that they want to make the decisions and dictate our moral code along the way. You just deal with it.

Am I saying that's right? Nope. But you can't let the government walk all over you and cater to your needs all the time and then just casually shrug them off when it suits you. It's all or nothing. Don't motorboat the tits that feed you. :nope:

• Upvote 1

I actually agree with BWare. Shocking. O_O And using that quote from Carlin is stupid Stevo regardless of you warning us it's from a comedian..

Thanatos and BWare are spot on (Thanatos as usual). People don't give a shit. Kids especially. I know plenty of people that have sex freely without any concerns for future repercussions. They'll just have an abortion and all their problems are solved. God forbid we show any responsibility when we're participating in something important such as sex.

I blame society and media (yet again) for minimizing the importance/responsibility that comes with sexual intercourse. MTV is the only example I need to develop my argument on this matter. No explanations needed.

• Upvote 1

People don't give a shit. Kids especially. I know plenty of people that have sex freely without any concerns for future repercussions. They'll just have an abortion and all their problems are solved. God forbid we show any responsibility when we're participating in something important such as sex.

I blame society and media (yet again) for minimizing the importance/responsibility that comes with sexual intercourse. MTV is the only example I need to develop my argument on this matter. No explanations needed.

You're absolutely right; people engage in unprotected sex without full regard for the responsibilities and potential consequences. But is it the government's job to try and regulate that? Is it the government's job to try and censor the media from conveying such things?

Edited by SteVo

I actually agree with BWare. Shocking. O_O And using that quote from Carlin is stupid Stevo regardless of you warning us it's from a comedian..

Thanatos and BWare are spot on (Thanatos as usual). People don't give a shit. Kids especially. I know plenty of people that have sex freely without any concerns for future repercussions. They'll just have an abortion and all their problems are solved. God forbid we show any responsibility when we're participating in something important such as sex.

Are you saying that you aren't on the Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant bandwagon? lol

As I've said before, if an abortion is murder, then it shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances. Therefore, people who say its only ok if it's rape are full of shit.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm about to get on my soapbox. Feel free to read or skip over, but I feel like this needs to be said.

As I've already said, the abortion debate has become stupid. Or rather, it's always been stupid and hasn't changed in that regard. It's evident in this very thread. We are sitting here debating whether or not we consider a fetus a life, or when a fetus becomes a person, or if cells are indeed people or simply cells that are developing into people. It's absurd. It's as if we are sitting in the room with a pregnant woman who is considering abortion, and arguing with each other about her, without addressing her directly. By doing this we are implicitly making the choice for her. We have removed all meaning from the debate, and we have not even discussed the burden she is suffering. No mention of her physical or psychological burden.

Let's start with the "but the fetus is a life!" crowd. If this is the approach you take then you're already treating the argument as a conclusion. But this argument also whiffs on something very important: What if the fetus is indeed a life and therefore trumps the woman's right to choose? You have framed the argument in terms of life versus liberty, and we as a country choose liberty almost always. There is rarely a commitment to life over liberty in any other issue that's not abortion. If we truly valued life over liberty then we would ban things like alcohol, driving, and smoking because these kill far more people than abortion ever has or ever will. We possess a very strong commitment to liberty and our own conveniences over life. The death penalty is a great example of our choice of liberty over life.

Want some more examples? Let's talk hypotheticals. Suppose Congress tries to pass a law that mandates that everyone in the country give blood once per year. Do you think that would pass? Hell no. If it did, do you think we'd be okay with it? Aagain, HELL NO. Liberty wins over life.

How about mandatory organ donations from live people? That's even worse. Liberty wins. Or to make this point better, how about mandatory organ donations post-mortem? People would STILL say no. But why? You're dead. What use do you have for them? None, and those organs could save lives. But people are far more interested in keeping their dead, rotting corpses intact than in saving lives.

What if there was a monthly drawing and if you "win," the state forces you to give blood continuously to someone for...I dunno, let's say 9 months? That's a gross violation of your rights, isn't it? Do you see where I'm going with this? You wouldn't force someone to donate blood or organs against their will, yet this is what you do to woman when you tell them they can't get an abortion. Asking women to be a blood and organ donor for 9 months against their will is a significant violation of individual liberty. And this violation is only discussed in this manner in regards to mothers & their fetuses.

The "pro-choice" crowd makes a similar mistake when they tell us a fetus is "just cells." In what discussion do we ever refer to fetuses merely as "cells" outside of an abortion debate? It takes a serious moral issue then discounts half of the calculus to justify the decision.

And I don't blame people for the way they debate this issue. The problem was created in the Roe decision when Justice Blackmun failed to ground the right to abortion in anything. He merely gave women the right and then compromised that right immediately. It's an atrocious case and an even worse opinion. If you read it carefully, you'll notice Blackmun actually gave the right to choose to men and the state, and based them on technology and science. Moreover, Roe was overruled in Casey v Planned Parenthood yet how many politicians talk about that case? Not one of them that I've seen. And in Casey the SCOTUS finally did a better job of grounding the right to abortion.

Anyway, my point is this: The discussion should not be about whether the choice exists. It absolutely does. Banning abortion is like banning guns, drugs, or alcohol. It's not going to stop it, or reduce it, but merely results in back alleyway abortions where women are at greater risk of death. It's absurd. Rather, the discussion ought to be about who makes the choice. Why does the state have an interest in regulating an act of sexual privacy that in no way affects anyone else? The woman faces the physical burden, the psychological burden, and every consequence inbetween. The choice ought always to be hers and it is really not anyone else's business. And this "couples need to be held responsible for their actions" argument is ridiculous. Would you hold someone responsible for inciting a riot through exercise of free speech?

And I'm done.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I frankly don't give a damn how irresponsible people are with sex. It's not the government's job to make people responsible, and it's not the government's job to dictate morality or what people do with their body. I realize the "fetus = human" thing is really controversial, but personally it's not something that I buy into. I don't know if I articulated this effectively, but I myself will never encourage my partner to have an abortion. That being said, I recognize that it's not my decision for everyone. No one's decision is going to be the correct decision for someone else 100% of the time. The government's opinion on this should not affect someone's decision. I am morally opposed to abortion, personally, but that does not mean I want the government to dictate who should be able to do what they want with their lives.

Guest Phailadelphia

No one's decision is going to be the correct decision for someone else 100% of the time.

I feel like this isn't talked about enough, and that probably has something to do with abortion being declared a "right." It should merely be a choice, not a right, because each individual case is different. If it's a right then it becomes incorrectly treated the exact same way every time.

I'm about to get on my soapbox. Feel free to read or skip over, but I feel like this needs to be said.

It's as if we are sitting in the room with a pregnant woman who is considering abortion, and arguing with each other about her, without addressing her directly. By doing this we are implicitly making the choice for her.

What you're overlooking is the father. With the exception of special circumstances (papa bear bails on her, is abusive, etc.), whether or not to terminate a pregnancy should not by the woman's singular decision.

Women want equal rights, but then we need to 50/50 split the responsibilities for the child while it's in the womb, as well.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Guest Phailadelphia

What you're overlooking is the father. With the exception of special circumstances (papa bear bails on her, is abusive, etc.), whether or not to terminate a pregnancy should not by the woman's singular decision.

Women want equal rights, but then we need to 50/50 split the responsibilities for the child while it's in the womb, as well.

The father doesn't have to carry the baby to term and deal with the medical consequences therein. And I really doubt there are a wealth of couples who disagree on the topic of abortion. I know it was something I discussed with my girlfriend early in our relationship just incase something were to happen accidentally. This really isn't an issue IMO, even if they disagree about whether or not to keep the baby.

Edited by Phailadelphia

The father doesn't have to carry the baby to term and deal with the medical consequences therein. And I really doubt there are a wealth of couples who disagree on the topic of abortion. I know it was something I discussed with my girlfriend early in our relationship just incase something were to happen accidentally. This really isn't an issue IMO, even if they disagree about whether or not to keep the baby.

So what? There are things that men handle the majority of in other aspects of life. It shouldn't be a woman's choice. It should be a couple's choice.

So what? There are things that men handle the majority of in other aspects of life. It shouldn't be a woman's choice. It should be a couple's choice.

Still brings us to the same conclusion ----> It is a choice.

• Downvote 1

Still brings us to the same conclusion ----> It is a choice.

Yes, but barring special circumstances, it shouldn't be a woman's singular choice. Two people are responsible for a conception.

Yes, but barring special circumstances, it shouldn't be a woman's singular choice. Two people are responsible for a conception.

... I'm not really disagreeing with you. It's a choice, thus it should be personal and not decided by the person who represents your district.

Guest Phailadelphia

Your entire argument is off-base. The reason that abortion is an argument on whether the fetus is a life or not lies in the fact that, if it's a life, it has the right to live and being aborted infringes on that right.

Every example you gave relates to people being forced against their will to do something with their body that they may not want to do. If we're really making that analogy, then we need to ask the child whether or not he wants to be aborted, not the mother. The only way around this is to consider the fetus non-living, "just cells", what have you.

You're making it about the fetus again. It's not about the fetus. It's about the woman and her own sexual privacy.

SteVo, the reason this is viewed as an important issue while we have terrible economical issues is because is because it's viewed as an equality argument. It's not even about the fetuses anymore, for politics. It's become more and more about women, and not the helpless individual they carry.

Sexual privacy. :laugh: Did she get pregnant sitting on the clothes dryer?

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Bware, in theory you're right but thats just not feasible. Obviously if both parties want an abortion, or both parties want to keep it theres no issue. What if theres a debate though? Either you're forcing a woman to have a traumatic procedure she neither wants nor needs, or she is forced to keep a child she does not want because a man decides whats best for her.

edit out before shitstorm

Edited by Vikingfan465