Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How many games do the Panthers win in 2013?

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do the Panthers win in 2013?

Well the Panthers also finished last in the division.

The Panthers, who finished second in the division, have the most ground to make up in the division?

I don't get it.

7-9 with three other teams doesn't exactly constitute as a second place finish to me. The Bucs were a 9 to 10 win team last season. Josh Freeman was hot as hell during the middle of the season and he actually showed everyone what kind of potential he possesses as an NFL quarterback if he can find some sort of consistency in his game. If Freeman can play at even half that potential and have consistency with it, the Panthers are no where near that offense (Or defense for that matter).

The Saints have Drew Brees. Need I say more? That defense was terrible and I'm accounting that to Spagnuolo completely misusing the players. They quit on him, he quit on them shortly after. Getting Payton back is a huge deal and that team will be completely different moving to a 3-4. I don't think you'll see some great defense, but they aren't going to be the worst in the league again. At any rate, with Brees leading the offense they will be one of the best in the league.

I can pick the Falcons to win the division all I want, but at the end of the day the Saints are probably going to be right on their tail in the race. I don't usually homer around and smash down a team just because I dislike them. If I thought the Panthers were a team capable of winning the division, I would say that. I don't think they are.

7-9 with three other teams doesn't exactly constitute as a second place finish to me. The Bucs were a 9 to 10 win team last season. Josh Freeman was hot as hell during the middle of the season and he actually showed everyone what kind of potential he possesses as an NFL quarterback if he can find some sort of consistency in his game. If Freeman can play at even half that potential and have consistency with it, the Panthers are no where near that offense (Or defense for that matter).

The Saints have Drew Brees. Need I say more? That defense was terrible and I'm accounting that to Spagnuolo completely misusing the players. They quit on him, he quit on them shortly after. Getting Payton back is a huge deal and that team will be completely different moving to a 3-4. I don't think you'll see some great defense, but they aren't going to be the worst in the league again. At any rate, with Brees leading the offense they will be one of the best in the league.

I can pick the Falcons to win the division all I want, but at the end of the day the Saints are probably going to be right on their tail in the race. I don't usually homer around and smash down a team just because I dislike them. If I thought the Panthers were a team capable of winning the division, I would say that. I don't think they are.

So basically you are saying these teams woulda, coulda won X amount of games therefore they are better. Yet Carolina woulda, coulda shoulda won X amount of games.

And yes the Falcons are a great regular season team 1-3 playoffs doesn't say much to me. But that is a different topic. The TOP DOG comment included a team we beat last season Twice.

As far as DeAngelo carrying the load. I don't see it as an issue. The man was averaging 5 ypc coming into 2012 and his numbers were more off of a lousy game plan (read option :deadhorse: ). Trivia Question for you. Name the only other Running back in NFL history with a 5.0 Ypc in his first 1000 carries. DeAngelo Williams and ..... Jim Brown. He'll carry the load. See most fans of other teams want to put the load being Stewart's and Williams as a backup. The attack has always been split the load.

As far as what the Panthers lack each team in this division has a major concern. New Orleans has D. Brees and he is a great QB but NO ONE EVER mentions the WORST DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY... THE WORST!!!!. Last I checked Drew Brees doesn't play defense. While I think S. Jackson is a great pick up. Atlanta has some issues of their own. Repeating this division has NEVER occurred and it won't in 2013. TB addressed there Defensive Backfield but without a rush, I believe 28th in the league they still have issues.

Our secondary is questionable but was addressed in Free Agency so just like Jackson the jury is out. Defensive Tackle is clearly upgraded with the possibility of only 1 DT from 2012 team on the roster. This was a top 10 defense. With more pressure up the middle teams aren't going to have all day to throw as in the past.

So while you can point to an area of two that you hope are weaknesses. I am here to say our weaknesses are far less than others in this division.

I hate our division because we are so competetive. In fact I did this for another thread in a Panther forum.

I did some research. Though it can be looked at many ways. I judged it by how well the division did overall not necessary who won the conference or Super Bowl.

I gave 8 points for having the best season within divisions and 1 point for having the worst. ie(when NFC W was won by a 7-9 team the were still last or 2010 NFC South had 3 teams with double digit wins so they were #1)

These are the totals (number of top spots)

NFC SOUTH 63 (NS) (3)

NFC EAST 61 (NE) (2)

AFC NORTH 55 (AN) (1)

NFC NORTH 52 (NN) (1)

AFC WEST 48 (AW) (2)

AFC EAST 46 (AE) (1)

AFC SOUTH 42 (AS) (1)

NFC WEST 29 (NW) (0)

This is the breakdown

2002 - 8 AW, 7 NS, 6 AE, 5 NE, 4 AN, 3 NW, 2 AS, 1 NN

2003 - 8 NS, 7 NN, 6 NW, 5 AE, 4 AN, 3 AS, 2 NE, 1 AW

2004 - 8 AE, 7 AN, 6 AS, 5 AW, 4 NS, 3 NN, 2 NW, 1 AE

2005 - 8 NE, 7 AW, 6 NS, 5 AW, 4 NN, 3 AE, 2 NW, 1 AS

2006 - 8 AW, 7 NE, 6 NS, 5 AN, 4 NN, 3 AS, 2 AE, 1 NW

2007 - 8 AS, 7 NE, 6 NN, 5 AN, 4 NS, 3 AE, 2 NW, 1 AW

2008 - 8 NS, 7 NE, 6 AE, 5 AS, 4 NN, 3 AN, 2 AW, 1 NW

2009 - 8 NE, 7 AS, 6 NS, 5 AN, 4 NW, 3 AE, 2 AW, 1 NW

2010 - 8 NS, 7 AW, 6 AE, 5 NE, 4 NN, 3 AS, 2 AN, 1 NW

2011 - 8 AN, 7 NN, 6 AW, 5 NE, 4 NW, 3 AE, 2 NS, 1 AS

2012 - 8 NN, 7 AN, 6 NE, 5 NW, 4 NS, 3 AS, 2 AN, 1 AE

What surprised me was how good the NFC East has been. Though Washington was usually on the bottom the rest of the division was pretty tough. All those screaming NFC West. Good lord they were always at or near the bottom perennially. Not even close to the AFC South.

Its objective and you can go to the NFL.com and do your own analysis. You may come up with something different but it won't be too far off

I say they do better than last year, if you noticed at the end of last year they started to pull things together a little more defensively. Their defensive front is easily the strong point of the defense, and all 4 of them are just going to get better. Master Luke is a monster already, sky's the limit for that kid. You can expect the Panthers to be competitive in every game they play in. I still think the Panthers finish 4th in the division...but they're no easy out.

I believe they finish at 7-9.

They need to strengthen that secondary imo. Specifically the safeties, or those guys need to get a whole hell of a lot better and play strong this year. The way they played last year just made them look like 2nd or 3rd stringers that were handed starting jobs.

Godfrey will be a big upgrade at FS, I'm not worried about him at all.

Last year's starting FS will be relegated to ST after taking a pay cut to keep his roster spot this season.

SS is the wildcard. I'm not worried about the secondary.

Godfrey is garbage. The Panthers would do very well to acquire Mikell, Rhodes, or both.

Godfrey will be a big upgrade at FS, I'm not worried about him at all.

Last year's starting FS will be relegated to ST after taking a pay cut to keep his roster spot this season.

SS is the wildcard. I'm not worried about the secondary.

Will be a huge upgrade? What? He started for the Panthers last year... Godfrey was in the bottom half of the league in terms of starting safeties last season, at least in my opinion. He was terrible.

Godfrey had an awful season last year, but by and large he's been pretty decent in Carolina. Last year, I think he felt pressure at being the only real playmaker in the secondary and that affected his play. He definitely has to step it up this year.

And the Panthers sure as hell better sign Mikell if he's interested.

Carolina had the top rated defense in the NFC South last year and they defense got better. While Carolina didn't sign the big name free agent like the rest of the division. The small additions will create a larger sum.

The front seven should be solid and that isn't including the rookies. Cole and Edwards alone make the front Seven nasty. Add Short and Star and the front seven is deep and nasty.

(COLE BTW seems to be back at his pre-injury form of 2010.)

Falcon, Saint and Buc fans want (and hope)that our secondary is as bad as it was last year. Not gonna happen. Godfrey has moved from Strong Safety to Free Safety while DJ Campbell finished 2012 at SS(and played well). Campbell is a very smart player and will compete with Mitchell (fm Oak) along with Lester UDFA from Alabama (might be the UDFA signing of the off season FOR ANY TEAM). Josh Thomas and Florence will be #1 CBs going into camp but they'll have solid competition from Norman and M. White. DJ Moore and Captain will have the slot duties. If we had not addressed the DT spot the way we did. There might be some concern but Brees, Ryan and Freeman are not going to have all day (like before) to pick us apart.

This Division has always fluctuated with no team winning the division title more then 3 times or less than 2 times. Never had back to back. And more worst to first then any other conference.

I am not going to sit here and make some half hearted comment about any other team in this conference based on the love of my team or the hate of another. I can tell you that none of you know anything about the 2013 Panthers if you are baseing your comments off of last season. Which IMO you are.

Go ahead and believe that the 2012 hiearchy of the NFC South will remain the same. If I were a betting man, I won't bet on it.

THE ONLY THING That will keep Carolina from winning the division is poor coaching or lack of execution. Talent wise, Carolina can match up with any team in the league.

Rivera has always had a top notch defense. Between him and McDermott they'll run a tight ship and the defense will finish top 5.

• Downvote 2

We are talking about Sean McDermott here. The one we got from Philly? That Sean McDermott? I just want to make sure you are talking about him having a top-5 defense and actually saying that seriously like it would be because he's a good defensive coordinator.

"None of you know anything about the 2013 Panthers."

"The ONLY THING that will keep Carolina from winning the division is poor coaching or lack of execution."

None of us know anything, but apparently you know that the Panthers are the best team in the NFC South easily and the only thing that will keep them from winning the division isn't the 13-3 Falcons, or the Saints who got Payton back, or the Bucs who swept us last year and got a lot better on paper. Nope, none of those guys will be a problem at all, the only way we can lose is by beating ourselves. From where did you get your knowledge that none of the rest of us knew, oh wise one?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

The Panthers have the most potential for the future, but the NFC South is easily the toughest regular season division, so it's hard to know how many games they can pull off. I like their team. I liked their team last year and picked them to win the division. I don't think they'll beat either Atlanta or Tampa Bay for the division, but they could easily steal the wild card spot from one or the other.

I'm only concerned about the Saints because of Drew Brees, but they really shouldn't be a big factor.

The NFCS head to heads, much like most divisions, are unpredicatable. No matter how good or bad either team is, either can win regardless of the circumstances, so based on that I will assume they go 3-3 in the division.

I dont see them beating Seattle, SF, or NE. And NYJ and BUF should be virtual locks. So that puts them at 5-6. And I can see them going 3-2 with the remaining games, NYG, St Lou, @ Miami, @ Zona, @ Minny.

That puts them at 8-8, but I dont see them being much better then that...simply because they dont have too much talent at the skill positions, especially if Stewart isnt 100%. If they stay healthy on offense, which never happens for any team in the NFL, I can see their ceiling being 9 wins. I see a lot of the new panther fans talking up the new pieces in the secondary, and they very well may be right, but right now the best you can call them is unproven. If theres any position in the NFL outside of QB that takes time to get acclamated too, whether it be college to pros or even a new scheme from an old team, its any of the defensive backs. All things considered Id say 7 or 8 is the most probable.

Of course, what the hell do we know? Theyll probably win 14 losing to only the Jets and Bills lol.

In a very tough Division, with a Brutal schedule. Same as last year 7-9. The offense is loaded with weapons, and have a good defensive front seven, thats getting even better..But the areas of concern IMO are... the offensive line and the secondary. Though I think CB Josh Norman has the playmaking ability to make an impact, he could very well have a breakout year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are talking about Sean McDermott here. The one we got from Philly? That Sean McDermott? I just want to make sure you are talking about him having a top-5 defense and actually saying that seriously like it would be because he's a good defensive coordinator.

"None of you know anything about the 2013 Panthers."

"The ONLY THING that will keep Carolina from winning the division is poor coaching or lack of execution."

None of us know anything, but apparently you know that the Panthers are the best team in the NFC South easily and the only thing that will keep them from winning the division isn't the 13-3 Falcons, or the Saints who got Payton back, or the Bucs who swept us last year and got a lot better on paper. Nope, none of those guys will be a problem at all, the only way we can lose is by beating ourselves. From where did you get your knowledge that none of the rest of us knew, oh wise one?

What is wrong with Sean McDermott? You just threw any credibility you have out the window. Carolina was a Top 10 defense last year with weak play from the defensive tackle position. Edwards being the only decent DT we had. Rivera and McDermott will have a top 5 defense this year. They have so many new ways to run their defense because we have run stopping DTs. I would like to see any DC put his defense in the top 10 with the defensive tackles we had. Everywhere Rivera has gone he has had a top 5 defense. While he is not the DC he has and always has had his hand in the cookie jar as far as defense goes. I and MOST Panther fans, no issues with McDermott. You saying what you just said tells me you know very little about football.

ENOUGH WITH 13-3, SWEEP OR PAYTON. It has no bearing on this season. NONE. The Panthers underachieved last year. Plain and Simple. If you followed them at all you would know this.

God you are the worst kind of Panther fan there is. You live in this fantasy world that because you have posted over 5000 posts you are king of the Panther hill. When really you need a life with 5000 post in 2 yrs, 5.whatever posts a day? WOW!!! YOU THINK because you are the man here anyone who does not believe as you do. Is just a homer. Well you are a hater. A Panther hater fan. You look at everything negatively. Your assessment of our team a couple weeks back tells me you don't know crap. OH lots of words. Your post looked like you knew what the hell you were talking about. When in reality, YOU DON'T. You actually know very little about the Panthers and what a Team is. Have you ever played football? Can you throw a football 40 or 50 yds and hit a trash can? Have you ever lead a team down the field, as a quarterback, and scored a touchdown more than once? I HAVE. Do you know adding one piece to the puzzle could change everything? Obviously not.

The main reason I believe as I do is I pay attention to MY team other than just casually popping off at the mouth as if I know more than anyone else.

Your pissed off because I didn't agree 100% with your assessment of MY team the Panthers. The Falcon and Buc fans that post their comments don't know the Panthers. Their opinion is taken lightly because they don't know MY team. 99.9 percent of the time they are misinformed. They don't know the depth or why we played Cover 3 most of the season last year. Probably couldn't name every starter on the roster without looking. Can you? I Can. I can't name players on their team without looking. I base my opinion based on who they added and lost and if it will address their issues. And naturally a little hate. But I admit it. They don't.

If you think this team doesn't have the overall best talent in the NFC South than I can honestly say you don't follow the Panthers very closely. This isn't to imply the other teams are weak either. Talent wise, both sides of the ball. Atl and N.O. are slightly ahead of us offensively but their defense is behind us. TB offensively is par with us and an awesome defensive backfield but no pressure up front.

So now get your little buddies together, send them your offline post to NEGATIVE REP me cause you disagree with me. It doesn't stop me from posting and truthfully I could give a FK if someone likes my posts or not. Those that know football, Know I know what I am talking about.

I signed up for this site 5 yrs ago. Stopped coming for whatever reason and was RECRUITED to come join this forum (again) because my posts were insightful and I didn't attack people. If I read garbage I call it garbage. I state my opinions and boys like you that don't like it Negative Rep me. I guess thinking somehow you get the upper hand. Well little boys. Go right ahead. I can play the same game. Wonder how fast I can drop that rep level down to zero. Just to show you I can play that game too!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

The NFCS head to heads, much like most divisions, are unpredicatable. No matter how good or bad either team is, either can win regardless of the circumstances, so based on that I will assume they go 3-3 in the division.

I dont see them beating Seattle, SF, or NE. And NYJ and BUF should be virtual locks. So that puts them at 5-6. And I can see them going 3-2 with the remaining games, NYG, St Lou, @ Miami, @ Zona, @ Minny.

That puts them at 8-8, but I dont see them being much better then that...simply because they dont have too much talent at the skill positions, especially if Stewart isnt 100%. If they stay healthy on offense, which never happens for any team in the NFL, I can see their ceiling being 9 wins. I see a lot of the new panther fans talking up the new pieces in the secondary, and they very well may be right, but right now the best you can call them is unproven. If theres any position in the NFL outside of QB that takes time to get acclamated too, whether it be college to pros or even a new scheme from an old team, its any of the defensive backs. All things considered Id say 7 or 8 is the most probable.

Of course, what the hell do we know? Theyll probably win 14 losing to only the Jets and Bills lol.

Skilled Positions? Newton, Smith, Gross, Kalil, Olsen and Double Trouble aren't skilled enough for you? Like I said in my previous post. Most fans outside the Panther nation know very little about the team. This is assessment is exactly what I am speaking of.

It isn't just the secondary additions it is the Defensive Tackle position. Now that we have added defensive tackles to this team. We don't have to play cover 3 anymore. (Majority of our snaps last year) Cover 3 helps the running game but gives up short passes. Cover 3 helps the running game. Good run stuffing DTs change that approach. It opens our possibility to do other things.

Injuries, poor execution or bad coaching will be the only excuse the Panthers will have for missing the playoffs.

And ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. I am excited for 2013.

• Downvote 2

What is wrong with Sean McDermott?

I stopped reading right there.

• Upvote 2

The turn this thread has taken is exactly why I stopped posting on Chargers forums. I would so much rather defend/tout my team to critics on the outside than have to try and wrangle Charger homers who want to crown us 16-0 regardless of circumstances. Good luck Thanatos.

• Upvote 1

Why we got to bring out the GD?

Huh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1