AllYouNeedIsLovie

Official 2013-2014 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thread

Season is getting close and I figured we might as well start this annual thread. Use this thread for general information about the Bucs that you don't think is thread worthy. Pretty much like dutch is doing for the Eagles. :yep:

:Bucs:

Things I'm interested in:

-Doug Martin's 2nd year.

-How the Bucs secondary looks mainly Revis and Goldson.

- Josh Freeman. Not gonna lie, some of you may picked it up that I'm not the biggest fan of the guy.

- Bucs front 7, strong run D continuing?

-

The run D should be a strength if Gerald McCoy stays healthy, he is a major difference maker and his impact on the game is huge.

Beyond all the obvious questions like "Can Freeman get it done?" or "Will Revis be healthy and play like his pre-injury self?" I'm concerned about the pass rush, it is a make or break year for both Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers. They were drafted too high to not be getting it done by year 3.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/list-gallery?gid=28993&gf=628

Fox Sports Florida made a list of the top 10 most important Bucs. List went as follows:

1. Josh Freeman

2. Darrelle Revis

3. Vincent Jackson

4. Doug Martin

5. Gerald McCoy

6. Dashon Goldson

7. Mike Williams

8. Mark Barron

9. Carl Nicks

10. Davin Joseph

I think McCoy should be a few spots higher. I also think I would take Barron and Joseph off the list and add Penn and David.

• Upvote 1

The Bucs are a team that has loads of potential in my opinion; both sides of the ball. On the offense, the first player I think about is Doug Martin.

Doug Martin was easily one of the most explosive backs in football last year being a dual threat in the running game and in the passing game. He is a 3 down back that always has to be account for. If he can have a season even remotely close to what he had last year, that is a great plus for the Bucs moving forward.

Secondly, Vincent Jackson was one of the most productive free agents picked up off the Market. V.J was the most dangerous deep threat in the league last year. He was beating defenses left and right deep. He's very hard to defend with the way he attacks the ball at it's highest point. You gotta love the way this guy plays.

Furthermore, the Bucs offensive line should be very solid with Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks coming off injury.

The defense side of the ball looks very scary on paper. They were the worst secondary in the league and they definitely addressed that need in the offseason.

The addition of Darrelle Revis was huge. The thing is if he will return healthy. If he does, what Revis brings to their team is the best insurance a team can have at the CB position. He will be able to follow the opposing teams #1 WR around the field if they choose to utilize him in that manner. He allows so much flexibility for a defense and how they can attack opposing offenses. He will greatly impact this team.

Dashon Goldson was another key pick up. Goldson is a pretty good safety with playmaking ability. He could be inconsistent at times but he still has to be account for when you play against him.

The Bucs run defense was very solid last season. Granted, they didn't accumulate a lot of attempts against them because teams would rather pass and pick on the worst secondary in the league. If they can continue to be dominant in the run game against increased carries, that would be a huge plus for this defense. While the defense did improve the secondary, however, the Bucs pass rush is a problem of concern. There pass rush was almost non-existent last season. Regardless of how good your secondary is, not having a pass rush giving QBs all day to throw the ball can be very problematic. Defensive backs can't cover forever. Not to mention, I will also be having a look out for Lavonte David in year two.

All in all, the Bucs have potential to make some noise. They definitely have the talent but it all ultimately falls down to Josh Freeman. He has been very inconsistent and that has not helped out his ball club. Freeman is going to have to step up and lead this ball club to victories. If he does, I wouuldn't be surprise at all if the Bucs made the playoffs. The pieces to make it happen. It all falls down to execution.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 2

Two issues from last season remain as unanswered questions:

1. Will Josh Freeman get over the hump and start playing consistently great football?

2. Can anyone get after the quarterback?

I thnik the answer to #1 will be yes. He has the talent and the supporting cast to do it. And he's only entering his 4th season. It used to be that QB's weren't expected to be great until about that point anyways. But now, with a lot of talented and pro ready rookies coming into the league, the standard for success has changed. I think he'll be fine.

I'm less optimistic as to the 2nd question. McCoy, as long as he's healthy, will do his part in creating pressure up the middle. Outside of him, however, there are nothing but questions. The DT spot next to him is a mystery and one has to think that the winner will be either a pedestrian vet or a rookie going through the natural adjustments this league demands. At DE, the Bucs are placing their hopes in two players who, while talented, haven't been the most productive or durable. It's not impossible that both have good seasons, but I think anyone who's honest would admit that it's pretty likely that one of the two struggles. My money is on Clayborn to be solid, and Bowers to disappoint.

But as long as Freeman clicks, this is a team capable of pushing for a PO berth.

Freeman and the pass rush are definitely the two biggest question marks this season. But honestly, even if Freeman plays like he did last year, I think we'll make the playoffs. If he can elevate his game though and be consistent, this team can be very, very dangerous. Really hope Clayborn and Bowers can stay healthy and live up to their expectations. Our d-line is so damn injury prone. I can't imagine us getting through the entire season with McCoy, Bowers or Clayborn not getting hurt.

The Bucs should try to put some kind of trade package together for Trent Cole. I'm skeptical about Cole playing LB, and with Graham/Barwin in house I have to think that he doesn't fit into their long term plans. He's 30 and coming off an injury-plagued year, but only one season removed from being one of the top 4-3 pass rushers in the league. That's what I would want as a Bucs fan.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with Trent Cole. We are implementing a 3-4 but won't be exclusively running a 3-4. They are currently trying to transition him to LB but I'm not sure how that will turn out. It was different seeing him in OTA's trying to work in space. He played all 16 games last year but only accounted for 3 sacks. I can only come up with two solutions to explain his low sack count. He fell off or teams adjusted to the wide 9. Our defensive line in general was lack luster in the sack department last year. I think teams figured out the wide 9. Jim Washburn got fired because that was the only trick up his sleeve and immediately after his firing, our d-line broke our sack drought and recorded several the following week; in a conventional 4-3 scheme. Cole also has a pretty sizable cap hit to him as well.

However, if the Eagles do plan to trade him, I want to trade him to Buffalo and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Jairus Byrd. Cole and Mario should do okay together along with Kyle Williams. Jairus Byrd wouldn't resign with Buffalo next year most likely anyway so they should get value for him now while his stock is high.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with Trent Cole. We are implementing a 3-4 but won't be exclusively running a 3-4. They are currently trying to transition him to LB but I'm not sure how that will turn out. It was different seeing him in OTA's trying to work in space. He played all 16 games last year but only accounted for 3 sacks. I can only come up with two solutions to explain his low sack count. He fell off or teams adjusted to the wide 9. Our defensive line in general was lack luster in the sack department last year. I think teams figured out the wide 9. Jim Washburn got fired because that was the only trick up his sleeve and immediately after his firing, our d-line broke our sack drought and recorded several the following week; in a conventional 4-3 scheme. Cole also has a pretty sizable cap hit to him as well.

However, if the Eagles do plan to trade him, I want to trade him to Buffalo and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Jairus Byrd. Cole and Mario should do okay together along with Kyle Williams. Jairus Byrd wouldn't resign with Buffalo next year most likely anyway so they should get value for him now while his stock is high.

Like almost all the 3-4 defenses around the league, I'm sure you guys will have plenty of 4 man fronts- which would allow Cole to be useful if that's what he needs to be effective. Perhaps it would be best to use him that way early in the season, hope he gets some heat on opposing QB's, and in that way boosts his trade value.

But like you said, his experience coming solely in a 4-3, his age, and his cap number would make him a piece that the Eagle's probably wouldn't mind moving. That deal with the Bills would be nice- and you're right, Buffalo doesn't seem keen on resigning him.

As much as I would love a pass rusher like Trent Cole, that won't happen. The Bucs FO seems to be confident in Bowers, Clayborn and the rest of the DE's to get the job done for us this year. This is why we let Michael Bennett walk and didn't express any interest in guys like Freeney and Abraham in FA. It's a very risky approach and something I disagree with because of the injury history of Bowers and Clayborn, but it looks like the Bucs are confident that those two will stay healthy and we have good enough depth if they do go down.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Morgan is gonna be a surprise player for the Bucs. I could see him racking up 6-7 sacks off the bench for us.

• Upvote 1

I'm not interested in trading for anyone unless it is cheap depth with some upside (ala Carimi). We've spent too much money these past two offseasons to add any more high dollar players. The core of our team is set, let's see what happens and adjust on it next offseason to keep improving.

As much as I would love a pass rusher like Trent Cole, that won't happen. The Bucs FO seems to be confident in Bowers, Clayborn and the rest of the DE's to get the job done for us this year. This is why we let Michael Bennett walk and didn't express any interest in guys like Freeney and Abraham in FA. It's a very risky approach and something I disagree with because of the injury history of Bowers and Clayborn, but it looks like the Bucs are confident that those two will stay healthy and we have good enough depth if they do go down.

True! I hope so too..and I love our picks in Gholston, and Means. Both should be major contributors. But, if we get no pressure from that D-line this year, its gonna be like signing a death warrant for the secondary. And that's Revis or no Revis. The man can only do so much. The defense let us down last year more than Freeman. #1 rush defense and #31 pass defense? Where was the pressure on the QB? The secondary wasn't good but the D-Line didn't help at all. If the D-line had given us more QB pressure the scores would have been less against us and we would have won those close games. I know Freeman struggled late in the season but he wasn't given any help and he still managed to set team records in passing yds and td's. I think Freeman will be OK...but our D-Line is still a work in progress. Here's hoping Bowers and Clayborn step it up big time! :beerchug:

• Upvote 1

Aaron Morgan is gonna be a surprise player for the Bucs. I could see him racking up 6-7 sacks off the bench for us.

I also am getting the feeling that Gholston is going to end up giving us somewhat significant help.

We'll see him lined up outside and inside.

• Upvote 1

True! I hope so too..and I love our picks in Gholston, and Means. Both should be major contributors. But, if we get no pressure from that D-line this year, its gonna be like signing a death warrant for the secondary. And that's Revis or no Revis. The man can only do so much. The defense let us down last year more than Freeman. #1 rush defense and #31 pass defense? Where was the pressure on the QB? The secondary wasn't good but the D-Line didn't help at all. If the D-line had given us more QB pressure the scores would have been less against us and we would have won those close games. I know Freeman struggled late in the season but he wasn't given any help and he still managed to set team records in passing yds and td's. I think Freeman will be OK...but our D-Line is still a work in progress. Here's hoping Bowers and Clayborn step it up big time! :beerchug:

I don't think Gholston will every be a great pass rusher, but I think he can turn into a Michael Bennett. Very good against the run and solid at rushing the passer. Means intrigues me as after watching his highlights, he has a nice arsenal of pass rushing moves. He's a little undersized, but he's also really quick and I think he can be able to beat some of the slower OT's in the league. Either way, one of our DE's is going to need to step it up big time this year.

• Upvote 1

I agree with both of you..(RGS & BucD)

What do you guys think about Akeem Spence? Would you compare him to Roy Miller? Or no?

Also did you guys notice on most Bucs depth charts they have Gabe Carimi on top starting at RT? What happened to Dotson? :shrug:

What do you guys think about Akeem Spence? Would you compare him to Roy Miller? Or no?

Also did you guys notice on most Bucs depth charts they have Gabe Carimi on top starting at RT? What happened to Dotson? :shrug:

I think Spence will be even a little better than Miller was. Remember, Miller was very dissapointing before last season and then had a solid season playing NT in Schiano's D. All Miller really had to do was take up blockers and hold his ground, which he did pretty well. Apparently, Spence is extremely strong, so I think he will fit into this roll pretty nicely. Even Gary Gibson had success at NT last year. Seems like you can pretty much plug anyone in there and they'll do a decent job because of how the NT is used in Schiano's D.

I''ve noticed the same thing about most depth charts having Carimi starting over Dotson and I'm assuming that is because most people don't follow the Bucs closely enough to know who Dotson is and just assume Carimi will be starting because they know his name from being a former 1st round pick. Little do they know, Dotson played very solid at RT last year once Trueblood went down and most likely will be starting again for us at RT this year.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

All I've read and seen on Spence is that he's a Roy Miller clone but with longer arms, which in turn, makes him a better pass rusher/better pass rushing ability/higher pass rush ceiling. We shall see.

Carimi and Dotson will be a good battle at RT. If his former coach (Bostad) can get him back into (or similar) form then there's no doubt he'll be the starter. Our OL depth was such a weakness a year or two ago...no it's a strength...

As far as Means goes...he intrigues me too. Looks too have a ton of potential. Not sure he makes the roster right off the bat this year. Probably ends up going on our PS. We have Clayborn, Bowers, DTN, Morgan, Gholston at DE. Don't see Means beating any of those guys just yet.

I think Spence will be even a little better than Miller was. Remember, Miller was very dissapointing before last season and then had a solid season playing NT in Schiano's D. All Miller really had to do was take up blockers and hold his ground, which he did pretty well. Apparently, Spence is extremely strong, so I think he will fit into this roll pretty nicely. Even Gary Gibson had success at NT last year. Seems like you can pretty much plug anyone in there and they'll do a decent job because of how the NT is used in Schiano's D.

I''ve noticed the same thing about most depth charts having Carimi starting over Dotson and I'm assuming that is because most people don't follow the Bucs closely enough to know who Dotson is and just assume Carimi will be starting because they know his name from being a former 1st round pick. Little do they know, Dotson played very solid at RT last year once Trueblood went down and most likely will be starting again for us at RT this year.

Yep...I think so too. And one particular area in which, I think Spence may be better over Miller is on runs to the outside. Cuz virtually all of Miller's 24 tackles a season ago came inside the guard box. But..Spence, this dude is relentless in pursuit, he had like 71-72 tackles last year for the Illini. And he's very close in size to what Sapp was, 6'1 300lbs...we can only hope he can be the same type player. Wishful thinking...

And yeah, I cant see Dotson not starting. Not after the season he had last year. I guess we'll see.

Hey also it looks like the Monday Nighter vs Miami is just about Sold out! Looks like I'm shit outta luck for that one....they retire Sapp's 99 into the ring that night. Dammit!

Just checked Spence's arm length at the combine...33 1/2 inches...

Just for comparisons sake...Johnthan Banks measured in at 33 7/8 inches...JJ Watt measured in with 34 inches even...

That's a big advantage over Roy Miller but with the same body type. Although, Spence might be even stronger than Miller and Miller was considered one of the strongest, if not strongest, guys on the team.

Totally off topic, but D.J. Fluker's arms at the combine were just shy of 37" long... :thththblowup:

Totally off topic, but D.J. Fluker's arms at the combine were just shy of 37" long... :thththblowup:

Damn...that's just unnecessary...

lol

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/source-peyton-hillis-to-work-out-for-buccaneers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=source-peyton-hillis-to-work-out-for-buccaneers

In the wake of Eric Wright’s failed trade with the 49ers and subsequent release, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will bring in running back/fullback Peyton Hillis for a tryout.

:think:

Bucs Bring In Hillis, Shiancoe For Workouts...

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=8989:&Itemid=15

I always liked Hillis, but would he help us? We have absolutely nothing to lose, he's a low risk/high reward signing if he sticks. We are kinda thin at RB and Hillis has proven that he can be a beast...WHEN HEALTHY! Where would he fit best at RB or FB?

I think if he stays healthy he could be the #2 RB on our roster. Very much like Mike Alstott (maybe even a better receiver) and would really add some versatility. And Shiancoe...I just dont get this, when we already have six TE's on the roster. Shiancoe is 33 yrs old, why not just resign Dallas Clark then.