Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Geno Skips Sanchez's Jets Offensive Chemistry Camp

New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith will not attend Mark Sanchez's annual "Jets West" camp, a league source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini.

Mark Sanchez may feel confident in his battle with rookie Geno Smith, but the New York Jets' signal caller ranks dead last in passer rating since entering the NFL in 2009.

Instead of attending Sanchez's chemistry-building camp for the Jets' offensive players, Smith is working out in Florida, according to the New York Daily News. Multiple media reports said Smith was not in attendance at Jets West on Thursday, the first official practice in Southern California.

There has been rampant speculation regarding whether Smith would attend Jets West after the rookie issued a "no comment" when asked last month if he'd show up for the Sanchez-organized workouts.

Smith later clarified his "no comment," saying "sure, sure" when asked about attending.

ESPN

Sorry about the title. Trying to figure out a way to explain what was going on in as few words as possible. Obviously Mark Sanchez is awful and I am not a fan by any means... But is Geno really this big of a douche? Mark Sanchez runs a camp to help his offense get in sync (a lot of good this has done in recent years :troll:) And Geno bails to go work out by himself or with whomever it is he is with down in FL?

What do you guys think? Am I just odd for thinking Geno should have been there? Or would you not expect him to show up to a camp organized by his competition for the starting QB gig in NY?

I hope Geno falls flat on his face for being so arrogant, but Mark Sanchez is a bum so I don't really care.

Just setting up a McElroy insurrection.

Ya, it's becoming pretty obvious that the concerns about his character coming out of school are truth and then some. Hopefully he can grow up and mature quickly, but I don't think that will be the case.

Yeah, apparently he's staying in Florida so he can work on what the coaches told him he needs to. But personally I couldnt really care if he went or not. Though he is being criticized now for not going, but if he went, hell there would just have been a controversy about him subjecting to Sanchez. So as long as Geno is working at trying to get better, I dont care where he does it. He should go where he is most comfortable.

What could he possibly learn flying across the country to stand around with Mark Sanchez?

Do you think Sanchez would actually give him reps with the important guys that he is there to gel with? :nope:

Geno is a POS though. I'm counting down the days till he throws his offense/team under the bus.

I'm conflicted...I obviously think his lack of camaraderie poked through there, but at the same time...the Jets O sucks. Does he really want to be taking pointers from Sanchez? Feels like a Catch 22 for a rookie who just wants to succeed.

But yeah, the correct move here would have been to hang out with the team. This is bound to come up later on in the locker room, especially if he ends up starting.

Probably should have at the very least made an appearance. Then again, who cares? It's off-season still last time I checked, last chance to get some light work in before your tough camp days begin. I don't think I can complain that someone isn't working during their off season. As long as he is trying to get better in some sort of way, I don't think it's a big deal. It may show though that he might not mesh with the rest of the team.

Another view, do you really want to go and train and give pointers to the guy you're going to compete against for a starting spot? I wouldn't. Why help a guy that could prevent me from being a starter? Sounds dumb to me!

I don't think it matters honestly, and when you really think about it. What is there to learn from Mark Sanchez...if I were Geno, I'd stay as far away as possible from the atrocity that is Mark Sanchez.

I am not a Geno Smith fan at all (attitude) BUT to be honest, I don’t think that this is a snub at all to the Jets or Mark Sanchez. If Geno is actually working on technique, or learning at some capacity. That's fine. But, if he is just sitting around and staying in shape, then no wrong move. And like others have already said, Sanchez’s camp has not produced any results for the Offense in any way!!

Edited by IndyColt500
  • Upvote 2

Well, considering this has been an annual event, I think the results should be enough to scare the other Jets away too.

Kidding aside though, Rookies have other symposiums and events scheduled around this time as well. I don't think it says anything about Smith that he doesn't attend. It's a long season and I don't see many (any?) other teams scheduling optional player led camps during this quiet time period in the offseason.

Seems most teams do this kind of stuff right before the OTA's. Get them fresh for the OTAs and mini camps. Then get away from the game and recharge. But then again, this is NY. They invent drama for the sake of having drama. One can't even leave the country to get away from that circus.