Dutch

Elite Member Voting System Idea

I saw a few people had some issues with the current Elite Member voting system. I think I came up with an idea that may work. I'm still tired so my thoughts may not seem thoroughly consolidated so bare with me. I think instead of having a 3 round 4 person, 2 person, and 2 person induction, we should have 4 rounds inducting 2 people per round. Every 3 months, an Elite Member reelection should still take place. Where it changes is that, the first ballot guys which is the two guys that get selected in the first round get reelection immunity and get automatically granted a second term (6 months) without having their Elite status revoked.

When we reach the 2nd term for reelection, the two first ballot guys will be safe (3 months remaining) as I said in the previous paragraph. So from that point forward after the First election, it will only be 3 rounds inducting 2 people per round (6 guys) and 2 guys safe having immunity. The first ballot guys out of the 3 round election shall get reelection immunity as well and get to be elite for 2 terms (joining the first set of guys having a total of 4 elite members with immunity). So the next reelection after that, the 1st set of guys that had the reelection immunity, their reelection immunity will drop. Then it gives a chance every election for two people to get reelection immunity status and be elite for 2 terms (6 months). So every 3 months, 2 elite members with immunity will drop and the doors will be open for 2 immunity elite spots for whoever gets in the first round and 4 elite members in rounds 2-3 who will be thrown back into the voting pile in 3 months; next term.

FIRST ELECTION

So, the very first election will be 4 rounds 2 people per round. The first two guys (first ballot) get reelection immunity and be safe next term. People in rounds 2-4 get regular elite status and it will be revoked next term and get thrown back into the voting pile.

SECOND ELECTION

3 Months later, the guys that received reelection immunity in the FIRST ELECTION will be safe (3 months remaining). So from this point forward, every election will just be 3 rounds 2 people per round. The first two guys that get selected in the first round get reelection immunity elite status as well (and join the 2 immunity guys from the First Election 3 months prior). People in rounds 2-3 get regular elite status and it will be revoked next term in 3 months. Meanwhile, the guys that got reelection status prior (FIRST ELECTION) to this election have 3 months remaining. So after the first initial election, from the 2nd election and forward, there will always be 4 members with immunity status at all times(two having 6 months remaining and two having 3 months remaining) and 4 members with regular elite member status.

THIRD ELECTION

3 Months later, the guys that received reelection immunity stats in the FIRST ELECTION (6 months prior) immunity status will drop. So 3 rounds, 2 people per round. First round guys get the reelection immunity elite status and rounds 2-3 get regular elite status. The guys that got reelection status in the SECOND ELECTION will have 3 months remaining.

So, the cycle would continue forever like what I said above. I read that people didn't like that every 3 months that their elite member status would be revoked. So I tried to design a system that would allow people to have the chance to be able to keep their elite status and have immunity for their 2nd term. So every 3 months, there will be a chance for 2 people to gain immunity elite member status and the rest just elite members. Immunity last 6 months. The first term you get voted in and the 2nd term you are immune to losing your elite status. The election after that you lose your immunity and go back into the voting pile. So officially after the 2nd term, we will always have 4 elite members with immune status.

I did think about after someone's immunity expires that they would be ineligible to get voted in round 1 to obtain immunity again but be eligible for rounds 2-3; to prevent back to back and consecutive immunities. That would make it guaranteed for everyone to get it sometime down the line. But everyone already has a chance to get elite status every 3 months. The honor of first ballot should be earned in my opinion and TGP should rightfully choose who those 2 people should be regardless if they get voted in consecutive times or not. That should be for TGP to determine. Don't want to make things too easy so when someone does get first ballot and receive reelection immunity, they know that earned it and it was handed to them by default rules. That also gives way for slight competition (you know what coaches say' competition is always a good thing :laugh:) to get that spot whether it be creating good threads, quality post, or simply bonding with people on the board. So when someone topples that immunity king giant that dominated for consecutive terms, they know they earned it and the people of TGP felt as though it was their time. First ballot Elite immunity status would be the ultimate honor and privilege not to be handed to someone due to default rules. If you don't get first ballot, it's not the end of the world. Nothing is preventing anyone from getting voted consecutively in rounds 2-3.

Anyways, just some food for though. Hopefully I made sense. I think it would work out.

Edited by dutchff7

It's really quite simple. Only two things changed. Two people get inducted per round instead of 4, 2 & 2; and every 3 months, 2 people get immunity keeping their elite title for the next elite member election. That's addressing a problem that members had with the current voting system wanting to keep their elite title. This gives them an opportunity to keep their title.

Edited by dutchff7

The only problem I have with the current system is we only got one vote when it came time to officially cast our ballots.

It's really quite simple. Only two things changed. Two people get inducted per round instead of 4, 2 & 2; and every 3 months, 2 people get immunity keeping their elite title for the next elite member election. That's addressing a problem that members had with the current voting system wanting to keep their elite title. This gives them an opportunity to keep their title.

Currently, the number of people who get in for each class will be different depending on the number of total votes and how spread out they are. In Round 1, the votes were very spread out, so I took the top 4 vote getters and they were at just about half the vote. The drop off to the next highest vote-getters was less than 1/8 of the total vote. In Round 2, it was much more one sided. Until the last day, Stevo was actually going to be the only one inducted because he had such a commanding lead. But Bay had a late surge. Together he and Stevo held just over 50% of the vote and no one else was able to secure 1/8 of the vote.

So to get in, you will have to hit at least 13% of the vote, but that won't even guarantee your entry if there are multiple people ahead of you as well. That's the current system and how I determine which members move on and which don't get put in -- if anyone was wondering.

This obviously could get messy if we fall into a bunch of ties, but we will deal with that if it becomes a problem. :D

As for the idea presented, it does seem extraordinarily lengthy and complicated.. But as said before it probably will be changed from now to the next elections -- so all suggestions are appreciated. :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Currently, the number of people who get in for each class will be different depending on the number of total votes and how spread out they are. In Round 1, the votes were very spread out, so I took the top 4 vote getters and they were at just about half the vote. The drop off to the next highest vote-getters was less than 1/8 of the total vote. In Round 2, it was much more one sided. Until the last day, Stevo was actually going to be the only one inducted because he had such a commanding lead. But Bay had a late surge. Together he and Stevo held just over 50% of the vote and no one else was able to secure 1/8 of the vote.

So to get in, you will have to hit at least 13% of the vote, but that won't even guarantee your entry if there are multiple people ahead of you as well. That's the current system and how I determine which members move on and which don't get put in -- if anyone was wondering.

This obviously could get messy if we fall into a bunch of ties, but we will deal with that if it becomes a problem. :D

As for the idea presented, it does seem extraordinarily lengthy and complicated.. But as said before it probably will be changed from now to the next elections -- so all suggestions are appreciated. :yep:

Yeah, I think I over complicated it the way I explained it. I tend not to try and post when I first wake up. The very first election we vote in 8 people; 4 rounds 2 people each. The two voted into the first round get immunity status; 6 months of elite status. The other 6 get regular elite status thrown back into the voting pile every 3 months.

The next election 3 months later, the 2 guys first ballot guys still have immunity and have 3 months left remaining on their immunity; So we do 3 rounds, 2 people per round. The two guys that get first ballot in this election that get get immunity as well. So we have 2 new guys joining the immunity list which now has 4 total (two new immunity guys with 6 months left and 2 guys that got in last month with 3 months remaining and will get thrown out next term) and the guys in round 2-3 get regular elite status; to get thrown out every 3 months.

It's designed so every 3 months, 2 immunity guys will drop opening the door for 2 to get voted in as well; while the other 4 get thrown back into the voting pile every 3 months.

But yeah, I can understand if that seems to complicated and not in favor. As far as the current voting system, I think a way to help spread out the votes is if people could vote for two people. Who knows but if it technically isn't broke yet then I guess it's fine.

it just seems unnecessary to me to have multiple term lengths, that's where I think you add unnecessary confusion

One thing I'd like to see happen in future elections (which doesn't really apply to the first election and may come up for the next election anyway) is to have current elites only eligible for re-election in the first round of voting, otherwise I could see a scenario where you have 5-6 people who are constantly voted in and only two spots rotating, which would defeat the purpose of the new system

...otherwise I could see a scenario where you have 5-6 people who are constantly voted in and only two spots rotating, which would defeat the purpose of the new system

But if those 5-6 are consistently deserving of the title, what's the issue? Are you saying that those 5-6 will be voted in even if they're not deserving? If so, I think that's a fair point, but I trust the masses of TGP to make proper decisions come voting time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, I think it's unfair to elites seeking "re-election," so to speak, and could prevent some deserving elite members from being honored consecutively.

But if those 5-6 are consistently deserving of the title, what's the issue? Are you saying that those 5-6 will be voted in even if they're not deserving? If so, I think that's a fair point, but I trust the masses of TGP to make proper decisions come voting time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, I think it's unfair to elites seeking "re-election," so to speak, and could prevent some deserving elite members from being honored consecutively.

the issue, as I see it, is we have a lot of people (as evidenced by the number of people in the polls) deserving of the elite label, and rotating the title around allows more deserving people to get a chance at having the title, I don't look at it as preventing deserving elite members from being honored consecutively, but as allowing more of the deserving members to hold the title for some period of time

now, it could be that the way it ends up working people will be more likely to vote for people who haven't been elites recently, in which case my suggestion would be entirely unnecessary, so maybe it is better to just watch the process and see how it naturally unfolds

the issue, as I see it, is we have a lot of people (as evidenced by the number of people in the polls) deserving of the elite label, and rotating the title around allows more deserving people to get a chance at having the title, I don't look at it as preventing deserving elite members from being honored consecutively, but as allowing more of the deserving members to hold the title for some period of time

I suppose we will agree to disagree, but I see it as more of an affirmative action system that will nominate newer members at the potential consequence of stripping it from a more deserving member. Once again, I trust TGP to make good decisions with their votes.

now, it could be that the way it ends up working people will be more likely to vote for people who haven't been elites recently, in which case my suggestion would be entirely unnecessary, so maybe it is better to just watch the process and see how it naturally unfolds

I was thinking that as well. It's certainly great to promote as many suggestions as possible now while we're all experiencing the first cycle of voting, but I would wait until the second cycle passes before making any significant adjustments.

I suppose we will agree to disagree, but I see it as more of an affirmative action system that will nominate newer members at the potential consequence of stripping it from a more deserving member. Once again, I trust TGP to make good decisions with their votes.

the way I see it, we had about 20 or so elite members before the change, and logically you would think all of those elites deserved the title, so with the new system it seems that the intent is to move it around, not to reduce the number of elites, and my suggestion would just make sure that's what would happen

I was thinking that as well. It's certainly great to promote as many suggestions as possible now while we're all experiencing the first cycle of voting, but I would wait until the second cycle passes before making any significant adjustments.

yeah, I can agree with that, just figured while suggestions are being thrown around I'd mention something I think ought to be considered, who knows, maybe the second group of elites will naturally end up being an entirely different group of members, we do probably need to see how the system is going to work before we denounce it

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

yeah, I can agree with that, just figured while suggestions are being thrown around I'd mention something I think ought to be considered

Maybe I just enjoy disagreeing with you. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

I dunno. I am not really sure if we want to force new elites to be voted in every cycle. Doesn't that cheapen the title a little bit. Oh, you get to be elite, but only because staff made sure Stevo wasn't eligible this round or something like that? Eh....

And while I agree with you that we have many worthy members, the nomination list isn't necessarily a great example of that. This time around we just took every nomination and threw them into a poll. I don't know if that's how the system will work next time.

I dunno. I am not really sure if we want to force new elites to be voted in every cycle. Doesn't that cheapen the title a little bit. Oh, you get to be elite, but only because staff made sure Stevo wasn't eligible this round or something like that? Eh....

And while I agree with you that we have many worthy members, the nomination list isn't necessarily a great example of that. This time around we just took every nomination and threw them into a poll. I don't know if that's how the system will work next time.

that's why I didn't, and wouldn't, suggest making returning elites entirely ineligible, just make it a little harder to repeat

Maybe I just enjoy disagreeing with you. :laugh:

could be, but it's all in good fun :p

at least I think so ninja.gif

could be, but it's all in good fun :p

at least I think so ninja.gif

Pretty sure I just enjoy being the underdog, having to go against you and Matt Kenseth simultaneously.

it just seems unnecessary to me to have multiple term lengths, that's where I think you add unnecessary confusion

One thing I'd like to see happen in future elections (which doesn't really apply to the first election and may come up for the next election anyway) is to have current elites only eligible for re-election in the first round of voting, otherwise I could see a scenario where you have 5-6 people who are constantly voted in and only two spots rotating, which would defeat the purpose of the new system

First Term

All I'm doing is allowing 2 people to be immune from having their elite title revoked for one election term. All that is doing is allowing them to be exempt for the next reelection and guarantees their elite status for an extra 3 months. So the two people who get voted in first ballot get 6 months of elite status compared to the rest who get 3 months and get put back into the voting pile the next term.

Second Term

When that next term does comes, those two first ballot guys with immunity elite status are exempt from reelection; thus having 3 months left until the next term when they get thrown back into the voting pile. Seeing as though there is already two people with elite status, there will be a 3 round voting process allowing 2 people per round in to equal our 8 elite member voting total. The guys that get voted in first ballot this term will also receive elite immunity status. The reason why I included this is so that it can create a revolving door that every 3 months, there will be 2 spots open for immunity. The guys from the 1st term have 3 months left and the guys from this term have 6 months left. So next term, the 1st guys will be gone and these guys will have 3 months left and 2 more guys will get voted in; and so forth and so forth.

So initially, after the 2nd term, this system is just basically rinse and repeat. It's really not that difficult and an easy concept if you think about it. I just didn't articulate myself very well the first time and could have done a better job in explaining this system.

Edited by dutchff7

I think its a pretty decent idea, actually

I think it's fine the way it is. We don't need to add in safeguards or affirmative actions. It just makes things unnecessarily complicated. Because lets be honest, guys like Stevo and Sarge (for example) will get voted in every single time regardless, because they are two members that have done A LOT for TGP in the past and are still highly valued members around the boards. We don't need to give them immunity status or whatnot, because everyone here will always recognise what they have done and continue to do.

The method we have now, is literally a purely democratic system. Anyone can nominate another member, and each nominated member gets put up for election. Every single person on the site gets ONE vote, and the highest number of vote-getters are elected into their new titles. This ensures that there is no external influence by the staff and every single one of the selected Elite members have truly been elected by the people of TGP.

And don't forget about the new Hall of Fame system. Guys that would actually deserve continuous immunity in your proposed system would logically be shoe-ins for inductions in the next round, and hence no longer stand for Elite nomination.

Edited by RANGA

I think it's fine the way it is. We don't need to add in safeguards or affirmative actions. It just makes things unnecessarily complicated. Because lets be honest, guys like Stevo and Sarge (for example) will get voted in every single time regardless, because they are two members that have done A LOT for TGP in the past and are still highly valued members around the boards. We don't need to give them immunity status or whatnot, because everyone here will always recognise what they have done and continue to do.

Even with or without the immunity, nothing would stop those guys from getting voted back in next term if what you said holds true. The voting system that is now in place allows for infinite and consecutive terms as long as TGP deems them worthy. The same concept applies here. Guys that are held in high regard by TGP should stand as such (in my opinion anyway). Also, it would be 4 members with immunity from 2nd term going forward. That would leave some room for change and diversity if what you said does occur. We have also gotten a good surge of new members who may vote differently (or other members) and effect the outcome which should be considered as well.

The method we have now, is literally a purely democratic system. Anyone can nominate another member, and each nominated member gets put up for election. Every single person on the site gets ONE vote, and the highest number of vote-getters are elected into their new titles. This ensures that there is no external influence by the staff and every single one of the selected Elite members have truly been elected by the people of TGP.

What I proposed does not change this part of the democratic system not one bit. It's essentially the same exact concept; nothing changes. The only thing that changes is the two people getting voted immunity each term (3 months).

And don't forget about the new Hall of Fame system. Guys that would actually deserve continuous immunity in your proposed system would logically be shoe-ins for inductions in the next round, and hence no longer stand for Elite nomination.

That actually seems like a great way to quantify some credentials to get into the Hall of Fame. I assume guys like Stevo and Sarge as you mentioned, who have done a lot for this site are locks in the Hall of Fame at some point in time anyway. Getting immunities seems like a great way to track credentials like in the NFL football Hall of Fame. Regular Elite votes are like "Pro Bowls" and first ballot Elite Votes that gets immunities could be like "First Team All Pro" credentials. (First Ballot Votes)

The system doesn't come off as complicated at all to me. It's basically the same exact concept except the guys that get voted in the first round of elections get to stay Elite for an extra 3 months. That's all; which could possibly appease those members that didn't like the idea of losing their elite status every 3 months. This gives them an opportunity to keep it. It seemed pretty diplomatic without changing how the system works. Just a small fix.

With that being said, I respect and appreciate all comments/feedback/criticism. It will keep me on my toes. However, I just didn't want this idea to be perceived as complicated because it's really not. Fundamentally, it's the same exact system with a small tweak that just gives TGP's most appreciated and recognized members a honor/privilege. Also could add healthy competition and could be very well suited to be a quantifiable credential towards the Hall of Fame System. I think it could be quite beneficial and don't see any detrimental effects it could have on the current system.