HUMCALC

How Did You Become a Fan Of Your Team?

For me it was simple. My mom and dad were fans (He's a 49ers fan, and she WAS a GB fan.) One night, my dad turned on a game, and I saw the QB run out of bounds to avoid being hit. I asked my dad who he was and who did he play for. He told me that it was John Elway of the DEN Broncos. I thought that running out of bounds was smart, and voila, a fan was born

I've been bleeding green since I was born; Born and raised in Philly. I was actually bleeding a little blue as well because Barry Sanders was my first favorite player. I use to watch him play with my older cousin who is probably the biggest Barry Sanders fan ever and turned me into his fan as well. But the Eagles have always been apart of my life since I was a child.

Edited by dutchff7

Born and raised in San Diego so it came naturally. Now I live in Montana, where everyone just picks whatever team they want. Seems unfair...

My grandfather was a pretty big Atlanta Falcons fan. He grew up in Georgia and moved to New York in the later years of his life. Naturally, I followed along and began watching the games with him when I was real little.

Home state team.

Fan of the Titans, Vols, Grizzlies, and if I gave two shits about hockey I'd be a Preds fan.

So original, amirite?

Ok here's my story, I am not ashamed:

My family are all fans of local teams. At a young age I never wanted to root for the same teams as them. I used to love playing as the Bills in Tecmo Super Bowl and even tried to watch them, but we never got the games unless it was vs. the Giants or Jets. Wasn't that big of a football fan at the time. As you might know my one of my favorite players was Nate Clements and when he signed with the 49ers I just kinda fell in love with the team even though they were shit. Been a fan ever since. Call it what you want. :)

Started watching football in 2002 when I was 10. I just hated the Eagles and they were in the NFC Championship at the time against the Bucs. I remember everyone being so pumped and no one really gave the Bucs a shot. I heard the 'Fly Eagles Fly' song hundreds of times at school leading up to the game. I kind of thought the Bucs logo was badass back then with the pirate and everything and I really wanted them to win so I started rooting for them. Once they beat the Eagles and went on to win the Superbowl, I was sold. :yep:

I started watching football at the same time the Panthers came into the league. I was born in SC, though we only stayed there for six months, but that combined with the fact that as an 8-year old kid I thought panthers were really cool, I was on Carolina's bandwagon since the moment they came into the league.

I'm from Buffalo. I live in Buffalo. Shouldn't be hard to piece the rest together.

• Upvote 1

I was born and raised in southwest Florida (2 hours south of Tampa, 2 hours west of Miami.) Grew up hating the Dolphins (specifically Dan Marino) and all his fans around here, and the Bucs were just a laughing stock (creamcicle era.) I wasn't really a fan of any NFL team at first, I was mostly into college football (Seminoles.) I used to follow players like Deion Sanders who is from my hometown. He switched teams every year it seemed anyways in the early 90s so I never rooted for a team just because of him. My dad was a Packers fan, I'd watch games with him but never really bought in even though they were getting good around that time (94-95.)

It really was a sequence of events that made me a Jags fan. In '95 they debuted, and in the video game Madden 95 on sega I used to do the create a player feature. So you would go through training and then get drafted and I usually got drafted by the Jags. So I played with them a lot in football video games, plus it was another new Florida team I had no reason to hate so that was cool too. But I still wasn't a complete supporter in '95 though I did like them.

1996 rolls around and they picked up a player who had my same last name. I started to watch their games. They started slow but when they hit their groove they were flat out exciting to watch. They started thriving once they benched (and later cut) Andre Rison and Jimmy Smith got the starting nod. Brunell, Keenan, Jimmy it was high flying ball. I believe they were the #1 passing team in the league.

Then they railed off wins in 6 of their last 7 games to sneak into playoffs, highlighted by the last game of the year when all hope looked to be lost, Morten's Miss:

@1:58

I was hooked ever since. They then went on to upset Jim Kelly and the Bills in Buffalo (where they had never lost at in the playoffs before), then went to Mile High and shocked the world by upsetting the #1 seeded Denver Broncos and John Elway. I was theirs forever after that.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 1

Madden 01 sort of got me interested in the Jags, despite not really watching or liking the NFL, other than Super Bowls. College football, or more accurately, FSU football was more my thing at the time.

Fastforward to '04. Not sure why, but something clicks NFL-wise that year. I think the Jags being a team on the rise at the time helped quite a bit, plus with my proximity to J-ville I would get most of the games. Anyway, watched the first game of the season against the Bills. Leftwich hits Earnest Wilford in the back of the endzone with time expiring to win the game. Pretty awesome. That excitement carried over to the next week when the Jags beat the Broncos 7-6. At this point, all these late game heroics and close games are starting to hook me. The following week, the Jags beat the Titans on a Freddy T TD with :13 seconds left in the game. After that, I was a fan, and have since watched every game that I've been able to.

• Upvote 1

Born and raised in Cleveland. Lived here all my life, fandom came at the young age of 6.

Madden 01 sort of got me interested in the Jags, despite not really watching or liking the NFL, other than Super Bowls. College football, or more accurately, FSU football was more my thing at the time.

Fastforward to '04. Not sure why, but something clicks NFL-wise that year. I think the Jags being a team on the rise at the time helped quite a bit, plus with my proximity to J-ville I would get most of the games. Anyway, watched the first game of the season against the Bills. Leftwich hits Earnest Wilford in the back of the endzone with time expiring to win the game. Pretty awesome. That excitement carried over to the next week when the Jags beat the Broncos 7-6. At this point, all these late game heroics and close games are starting to hook me. The following week, the Jags beat the Titans on a Freddy T TD with :13 seconds left in the game. After that, I was a fan, and have since watched every game that I've been able to.

OPjCvQs.gif

• Upvote 1

Born and raised in the Houston area, and my dad raised me to be an Oilers fan. When a certain asshole uprooted my team to go to Tennessee, my love for the NFL drifted away quickly.

I would root for the Browns and Steelers since most of my family lived in Cleveland and my grandpa is a die-hard Steelers fan from Uniontown. But it just wasn't quite the same...

Fast forward to 2002 when Houston was awarded an NFL franchise, and I quickly became hooked again. Had a David Carr jersey and everything... :p

Well for one I was born and raised in New York, lived there all my life and I was raised a Jets fan. My father was one, his father was one, both my sisters are, my Uncles are. My brother...he's a Giants fan! So fuck him...dont know what went wrong there. lol.

Now I can remember as far back to the good ol' days at Shea Stadium. Going to games with my father,grandfather and Uncles,when the NY Mets and Jets both shared Shea...With the names of Walt Michaels,Richard Todd,Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Pat Leahy, the NY Sack Exchange(Klecko Gastineau Lyons Salaam)etc etc...and when they moved to Jersey to the Meadowlands, which pissed me off, but I still followed them. And right up to the present day New Meadowlands(Met Life).

j08u0w.jpg

• Upvote 1

Was born in Indiana.

The first season that really caught my eye and got me obsessed with the Colts at times was in 1995 when Jim Harbaugh took over and we made it to the AFC Championship game in my favorite postseason run ever.

Fun fact: Ray Lewis had his first sack vs. Jim Harbaugh.

ray-lewis-first-sack-2.gif

• Upvote 2

First NFL game I ever watched was the Broncos Jets AFC Championship. I guess I decided in my 5 year old mind that the winner of that game was gonna be my favourite team. Lo and behold, John Elway's last comeback, and I'm a Broncos fan.

• Upvote 1

Was born in Indiana.

The first season that really caught my eye and got me obsessed with the Colts at times was in 1995 when Jim Harbaugh took over and we made it to the AFC Championship game in my favorite postseason run ever.

Fun fact: Ray Lewis had his first sack vs. Jim Harbaugh.

ray-lewis-first-sack-2.gif

Captain Comeback. Y'all got robbed by the Steelers that year. I remember that game so vividly. I was on a bus in St. Augustine Florida on a 4th grade field trip and I was huddled around with all the dad's watching that game of a portable TV with the antenna. When that play happened we all erupted in anger :rofl: Then we watched the Dallas-Green Bay game which came on later. Good times.

Most of you know I live on the other side of the world and have basically no connection to USA teams. I just wanted to be different because all my friends talked about was soccer. I started watching baseball,football and hockey when I was 10 (NBA before that). The first game I watched was the Steelers vs Ravens game and I absolutely enjoyed watching young Ben Roethlisberger. He's the one who made me a football and Steelers fan.

Edited by housemd

Captain Comeback. Y'all got robbed by the Steelers that year. I remember that game so vividly. I was on a bus in St. Augustine Florida on a 4th grade field trip and I was huddled around with all the dad's watching that game of a portable TV with the antenna. When that play happened we all erupted in anger :rofl: Then we watched the Dallas-Green Bay game which came on later. Good times.

:yep:

1502%20-%20autoplay_gif%20crying%20gif%20glasses%20nxt%20percy_watson%20wwe.gif

Well all football for me started on the PS2, at 6 years old and i learned everything i needed to know to became a NFL fanatic. But AZ hasn't always been my favriot team but amongst the 3. I Liked Baltimore because they were new to the league and had already won a super Bowl (Just like the Arizona Diamondbacks in MLB. Plus they both were rockin purple at that time and there really weren't any other teams MLB NFL that did) And I LOVE smashmouth defense and thats what they've done really since becoming a franchise. Now with the Eagles im not gonna lie im a big Eagles Fan because of the Video Game 2K5. I played that game so much at many parts of my life because itd reel me back to it and i'd only play as Philly. It just morphed me into a philly fans that just continues to be up and down experince. With Arizona it was hard because im bored and raised in AZ and support all in state teams no matter what the team is. And my team the Cardinals were straight terrible. Queitly i was a fan, but ive been able get alot more louder and have latley kept it at a frustrating tone but through the THICK and thin i will continue to be a #1 Arizona Cardinal fan

I grew up on it. My dad grew up in Stuart, FL and always talked about the Killer B's and Griese and the stacked backfield. As he got older and stopped watching as much, he spread loyalties around a little more...Panthers fan because he lives in SC, Pats fan ( :Suicide: ) because he does his 2 weeks up there and knows a bunch of people, and Texans fan because my step-mom is from Katy. He's still a Phins fan, but he doesn't really follow them as much as I do. I'm always the one giving him updates lol.

Nope...this guy will only be loyal to one team. Although it is nice to live in a winning market ( :Seahawks: ) for a change. I'll root for them, but I won't bleed their colors.