Sign in to follow this  
MCFLYYY

Raiders Season Preview

I thought it was a pretty good write-up McFlyyy. My thoughts on a few areas:

QB: I basically agree with your assessment, except that I doubt Tyler Wilson kicks off the season as the starter. I think Flynn holds onto the starting role for at least a few weeks. But hopefully Tyler Wilson can unseat him before season's end. Oakland is going to need to get a sense for what they have in him before the 2014 draft, because there is potential for them to have the #1 overall pick. If he looks likely to develop into a good starter, they can go with Clowney. Otherwise, it will probably need to be Bridgewater.

TE: Nick Kasa and Mychal Rivera were both great value in the 6th round. It's unrealistic to expect much out of 6th round rookies, but long term I can see them as a poor man's Gronk/Hernandez duo. Kasa was likely only available that late because he has limited TE experience, but he has the frame and athleticism that you need in an in-line TE. Rivera is a great movement player who I think will thrive in an H-Back role.

LB: Definitely the strength of the team. Roach and Maiava are both average, but that's a step up from what they had in 2012. And Burnett is a really good player. The whole Wheeler exchange basically amounted to Reggie McKenzie making Jeff Ireland look like an idiot. He allows Wheeler, who is younger but also inferior, to walk. The Dolphins cut the older, but better Burnett so they can then sign Wheeler. And then the Raiders sign Burnett for about 2.5M/season while the Fins are paying Wheeler ~5M/season. Among the youngsters, I think Burris and Moore have a legit future as starters. Moore is going to be a great SAM- he's got a lot of power and is at his best playing downhill. Burris graded poorly in 2012 due to a ton of missed tackles, but he was out of his depth starting right away. He'll improve with experience.

Bottom Line: The Raiders may end up with the worst record in football because they're due to be among the worst in the two areas most vital for success: QB play and pass rush. Their pass D in particular is going to be brutal. Their defensive backs are young, inexperienced, and would struggle behind a good pass defense. And on top of that, no one can rush the passer. But that's probably going to be for the best, because with Bridgewater and Clowney at the top of the 2014 draft they'll definitely be able to upgrade one or the other in a major way.

• Upvote 1

Here's your Raiders preview:

train-wreck.jpg

train-wreck.jpg

• Upvote 2

Raiders just might be the worst team in the league. Things look terrible for us, we have arguably the worst QB situation in the league, but even when we had a decent stop gap QB last year, we struggled just to reach 4-12. The defense is still terrible and as long as we're committing penalties left and right, we either won't be able to sustain drives or we'll keep teams on the field just when our defense was actually about to force them off for a change

Raiders just might be the worst team in the league. Things look terrible for us, we have arguably the worst QB situation in the league, but even when we had a decent stop gap QB last year, we struggled just to reach 4-12. The defense is still terrible and as long as we're committing penalties left and right, we either won't be able to sustain drives or we'll keep teams on the field just when our defense was actually about to force them off for a change

Alright man, you've gotta help me out here because I'm really confused.

You list Vikings as your team and posted a thread about how they should have won the SB.

You have a Rams player as your avitar.

You list Michigan as your home state and you have a signature banner of a Detroit Pistons player (Lions?).

And now you're referring to the Raiders with possessives, like they're your team.

So are you a fan of several NFL teams?

@KempBolt Read my intro, it explains everything lol. I'll list my teams here though:

NFL - Vikings, RaidersNBA - Sonics, KnicksMLB - Mets, Tigers

The avatar is of Isaac Bruce, my favorite WR of all time. I'm not a Rams fan though. The sig is of Brandon Knight for the Pistons. I'm not a fan of the team, but I'm a fan of him as a player. I get it can be confusing to follow my favorite teams, but bear with me lol, I'm actually loyal to my teams

@KempBolt Read my intro, it explains everything lol. I'll list my teams here though:

NFL - Vikings, RaidersNBA - Sonics, KnicksMLB - Mets, Tigers

The avatar is of Isaac Bruce, my favorite WR of all time. I'm not a Rams fan though. The sig is of Brandon Knight for the Pistons. I'm not a fan of the team, but I'm a fan of him as a player. I get it can be confusing to follow my favorite teams, but bear with me lol, I'm actually loyal to my teams

Good enough.

So here's the important question- in the event of a Raiders-Vikings game, who are you pulling for?

Good enough.

So here's the important question- in the event of a Raiders-Vikings game, who are you pulling for?

It's always Vikings at 1A and Raiders at 1B for me, so Vikings take first priority. That would be the 1 day of the year I'm not a Raiders fan haha. I'll always be a fan of both though

While I'm happy the Raiders suck it still kills me that they couldn't hold onto Michael Bush...Run DMC and Bush, with Palmer (or they could've (should've) stuck with Jason Campbell at the helm) would've been a good foundation to build on. They have lost some decent pieces this year too in Heyward-Bey and Huff. Now they really have no clear direction other then to tank for the 1st pick.