Sign in to follow this  
MCFLYYY

Jaguars Season Preview

You don't hate Blaine.

I like you.

You don't hate Blaine.

I like you.

Must of just skimmed through the preview:

marking the third time the Jags released a player very early in a deal this offseason. If only they could pull the same trigger with a certain underachieving QB…

He basically says the Jags need to just cut Gabbert. He is better than Henne though (as he said in the preview), so maybe that's where you thought he was saying he liked him. All he said was he was the Jags' best option out of the scrubs they have.

Doing these for all 32 teams - the Jaguars are the first from the AFC South.

http://cappers.forumotion.com/t239-jax-preview

Feedback and critique welcome.

You did a pretty good job for the most part for someone who doesn't follow the team (because since no one cares about the Jags, most people just completely butcher the actual going-ons of the team.) BUT... there are a few notable errors:

• FB: You mention the only FB they have being Will Ta’ufo’ou and that they didn't sign or draft another FB, but they signed college free agent FB Lonnie Pyror out of FSU (who ironically has many similarities to ex-FB Greg Jones.)

• WR: You keep referring to Cecil Shorts as the #2 WR (which means I guess you're saying Blackmon is the #1?) When it's the opposite. Shorts is the #1 big play WR, Blackmon is the #2 possession guy.

• DL: In your defensive line preview you completely leave out their two newest additions, ex-Patriots DT Kyle Love, and DE/DT Brandon Deaderick. Love likely beats out Roy Miller IMO, but we'll see. Also, the reason Alualu is being moved to DE is not to rush the passer. Just like Seattle's defense (hence Gus Bradley), Alualu is being use in the same role as Red Bryant (also a former bust at DT.) I can understand how the move makes no sense if you don't know that Seattle typically lines up 3 DTs and 1 DE (LEO) on rushing/early downs though. Jax will do the same, hence the move (as well as Alualu being a 3-4 DE in College when he actually did produce.) Also, I gotta disagree, reserve D'Anthony Smith in fact isn't worth anything, I'm almost not convinced he even exists :rofl:

• LB: Did you say OLB Russell Allen is top 10 in rushing the passer!? Wow, not sure if I buy that one, but okay, I hope you're right lol.

• DB: You said the Jags signed Marcus Trufant to be their #1 CB, but he's only signed to be depth and compete for the slot job with Mike Harris (a job in which he'll lose IMO.) Dwayne Gratz, the rookie, is the starter from day one it seems. But it does confirm your fear that Alan Ball is lined up to be the #2 CB at this time unless they sign someone cut after camp or preseason.

• ST: You correctly list the joke that was the Jags' returners last year but unlike the other positions you didn't even list their new additions and use them as part of your grading. The new PR is Ace Sanders (who shined in that role in college), the new KR is either Denard Robinson, or if undrafted FA WR Tobias Palmer lights it up in the role he could get on the roster there. Now, KR is obviously a question, but I'd say they significantly improved PR.

All in all though you did a pretty good job. My floor for the Jags is 3 wins like your prediction, my ceiling is 6 wins. I'm no homer, the Jags are rebuilding, they'll have to severely overachieve to get anything more with their current talent level and schedule. As well as have luck on their side. But unlike your assessment that the 2012 team was more talented, I disagree, I feel like they made upgrades and are more talented (especially in the speed department, where they were one of/if not the worst in 2012.) Maybe it's (again) because they signed players to fit their new scheme. If they were playing their old scheme, the DL and DB moves would definitely look like head scratchers to me too.

• Upvote 1

Must of just skimmed through the preview:

He basically says the Jags need to just cut Gabbert. He is better than Henne though (as he said in the preview), so maybe that's where you thought he was saying he liked him. All he said was he was the Jags' best option out of the scrubs they have.

A shot at the QB buried in the DB section. For shame.

At this point, I'm just glad there's someone saying that Gabbert > Henne.

A shot at the QB buried in the DB section. For shame.

At this point, I'm just glad there's someone saying that Gabbert > Henne.

You can't argue that Gabbert has been a good QB. They have to realize that at some point. But he is better than Henne, so until they draft another guy in the 1st round they need to stick to Gabbert and try to build for their future.

• Upvote 1

You can't argue that Gabbert has been a good QB. They have to realize that at some point. But he is better than Henne, so until they draft another guy in the 1st round they need to stick to Gabbert and try to build for their future.

Exactly my thoughts on the QBs. I think Scott's a nice little developmental guy for down the road, maybe you can get some trade value out of him, or at least develop him into a good backup. Jags are most definitely drafting QB next year though, make no mistake about it. There's a handful of guys to choose from too. Gonna be a good solid year to draft QB, unlike last year.

No one's saying that he's been good, I'm just not ready to write him off as someone who will never be good.

No one's saying that he's been good, I'm just not ready to write him off as someone who will never be good.

Yeah, he was a project coming out, which is why I was laughing when the hype machine was claiming he should be the #1 QB over Cam Newton. So many flaws in his game looking at tape. I thought it was hilarious how he shot up boards, and then our idiot ex-GM traded up and took him and I turned off the TV and went on a long walk in depression. He's a project, he made progress in his drop and foot work last year, some progress in sticking in the pocket and trusting (somewhat wrongfully at times) his OL. But he's still got a lot of work to do in terms of reading defenses (why he often shrinks in the pocket, he's unsure of what's happening down the field, EJ Manuel shares this trait), keeping his eye level up away from the rush and down the field, and trusting his WRs to make a play on the ball (which is why he so often checked down and had the laughable YPA stat last year.)

Basically, he's like 2 or more years away. He was always a project. I don't think the new regime is going to wait that long, being they have no ties/stake in him and especially with more polished prospects coming out next year (and the Jags more or less having their pick of the litter.)

I love this gif:

cypplayrmc_medium.gif

Was pissed y'all took him right before we did (5 picks I think it was?). Hope Shawn Williams pans out instead.

Jaguars will be better this year but they wont make any big improvements by any means. Gabbert is still very much a question mark, and though I actually like him more than Jake Locker, that doesn't really mean much at all at this point in time. I expect 4-122 or 5-11 from them, but I don't see them finishing in last place this year. I see the Titans taking the spot in the division basement

Question: If a team finishes 4-122, do they get the #1 overall pick for like ten straight years?

• Upvote 1

Question: If a team finishes 4-122, do they get the #1 overall pick for like ten straight years?

I see how it is lol

I'm actually a little excited to see Gus Bradley's iteration of the Jaguars this year. He's doing a lot of the right things in a rebuild. I think the defense may surprise some people but I don't know that it will be this year. They are really young in the backend.

If he can keep MJD on the field I can see them at 6-7 wins. Blackmon is going to have to keep himself out of trouble as well to keep the heat off CSIII. If not, well, it won't be all that different from last year. I wouldn't mind if they bombed though to keep the Raiduhs from getting Clowney. :panic: