Vin

[Official] 2013 TGP ESPN Fantasy Football

this came up last year, so I'm quoting what I had to say about it then, all the numbers are from 2011, but I'm at work and am not going to take the time to look up last year's numbers, but I suspect they're similar and can look them up later if you want

as for not having as many QBs drafted, that's more due to only starting one which means you don't need to draft more than 2, and if you get one of the top guys then you really only need to draft one (FTR, I am NOT advocating making this a two QB league, that just gets stupid especially with 12 teams)

I didnt mean drafting more then one QB. I mean people who havent drafted a QB by a certain round, can wait an extra round or 2, eating up more of the other positions, due to their value being less then any other player on the field. hence leaving the later rounds with guys who dont produce much, if any, meaningful points.

I get your point about the RBs and WRs scoring about half as many TDs, but I think thats irrelevant because you start, in most leagues, 2 WRs, 2 RBs, plus a flex which is usually another RB or WR. Doubling the TD output of WR or RB, equalling that of the QB, where youre only starting one.

I didnt mean drafting more then one QB. I mean people who havent drafted a QB by a certain round, can wait an extra round or 2, eating up more of the other positions, due to their value being less then any other player on the field. hence leaving the later rounds with guys who dont produce much, if any, meaningful points.

then I don't see what the issue is, the reason people wait a long time to draft a QB is because of the relative value to other QBs, if you don't get one of the top 3-4 then the next 8-10 QBs are pretty interchangeable, changing the point production of QBs across the board isn't going to change that

I get your point about the RBs and WRs scoring about half as many TDs, but I think thats irrelevant because you start, in most leagues, 2 WRs, 2 RBs, plus a flex which is usually another RB or WR. Doubling the TD output of WR or RB, equalling that of the QB, where youre only starting one.

so are you saying that a QB should be putting up as many points as both starting RBs or both starting WRs?

then I don't see what the issue is, the reason people wait a long time to draft a QB is because of the relative value to other QBs, if you don't get one of the top 3-4 then the next 8-10 QBs are pretty interchangeable, changing the point production of QBs across the board isn't going to change that

so are you saying that a QB should be putting up as many points as both starting RBs or both starting WRs?

Yes.... I'm saying I, personally, like the fact that the higher points now force you to take those top QBs even earlier, leaving more WRs and RBs to be taken for those who decide to sit on that next tier of QBs. Even the top QBs value drops a decent amount this way. I feel it makes drafts, early on, to bland...it almost makes it a bad pick to draft even one of the top guys in the first round leaving people at the tail end of the first round missing out on the top tier position guys. Either forcing them to take a guy a few spots too early or taking a QB who will put up points, in the 4 point system, barely above that of the top RBs and WRs, do you get what I'm trying to say? I'm having trouble putting it in to text I guess.

Let me try and put it this way. Let's say you picking 11th and the top 5 WRs and top 5 RBs are gone. Now knowing that eventually you're going to need to start at a minimum 2 WRs and RBs it leaves you stuck in drafting either the top QB who theoretically should barely put up more then the top RB/WRs and forcing you to sit on a position like RB where you're going to need 2 starters and you wind up with lesser quality guys. Obviously it snakes around, and its part of a draft strategy, but by lowering the points of the only position you can't start 2 of puts guys at the back end of the draft at a serious disadvantage. In the scenario I just wrote, but with 6 point pass TDs it makes it a little easier to withstand starting 2 RBs you take later on who combined will barely out score the guys who get AP or Ray or Foster etc.

Based on being in both types of leagues, I think the 6 point QB much more so then the 4 point ensures a competitive balance.

Whatever you guys want to do is fine, the thread was asking for input so I'm just throwing it out there that I would much more so prefer 6 point QBs

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

well, I had something long and stat heavy written out, then in my multitasking I accidentally clicked on a link and lost it, so here's the short version:

yes, this thread is for throwing out ideas, and the back and forth helps a lot in making sure we get the best setup for the league possible

I think I see what you're getting at, increasing the value of passing TDs would increase the distance between QBs (40 TDs v. 30 TDs is a much bigger difference when each is worth 6 than if they're worth 4) but I don't think it's worth what that would do to the raw points QBs put up, last year in standard leagues (4pt passing TDs) six QBs put up more points than the top RB (and that was AP's ridiculous season, if you look at #2 then it jumps to 11 QBs) and 17 QBs put up more points than the top WR, that just feels like a position that's already overvalued IMO

5. Draft time: Season begins on Thursday, September 5th. The final preseason game is Thursday, August 29th. If everyone can make it, I'd prefer to have it on a weekday sometime during the end of the preseason/start of the regular season to avoid conflicts with other drafts that are probably going to happen on that weekend.

Ok cool. Any way we can try and nail down a date? I know for certain i will have one, possibly two, other drafts in that same window. The sooner we can set this one in stone the better.

Does anyone have any days in that window that DONT work? We can start with that.

EDIT: I do know I am unavailable Sept 4th.

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

anything from the 2d to 4th works fine for me

Does something like September 2nd at 9 PM work? (Gonna need more than the three of us to chime in...)

Most likely.

Does something like September 2nd at 9 PM work? (Gonna need more than the three of us to chime in...)

Works for me. If the date needs to be changed, that'll be also OK.

If you pushed it back an hour...it'd be better for me. but it's alright.

That would probably work. I know F4E mentioned something about wanting it to be late; but I dunno if that was in reference to time or date. Or both.

I am gonna be crocked up on crutches so it won't matter to me just gimmie a time and a date and I will most probably be there, Unless it's real late my time, then I will be alseep.

I am gonna be crocked up on crutches so it won't matter to me just gimmie a time and a date and I will most probably be there, Unless it's real late my time, then I will be alseep.

We probably need to change the time then. 10 p.m. eastern would be 3 a.m. your time, if I'm not mistaken.

September 2nd at 10pm works perfectly for me :yep:

It's one of the few windows I can actually turn up for the draft, due to the time difference.

Edited by RANGA

I think this'll be our time, then. If anyone has any issues with it, speak up now.

We probably need to change the time then. 10 p.m. eastern would be 3 a.m. your time, if I'm not mistaken.

Yea that should be good for me

Ok chances are I won't be able to make the draft, however I do have a auto pick list in place.

Scoring changes:

Passing TD point value remains at 4

1 PPR

Increased point values for fewer points allowed

Increased point values for fewer yards allowed

-1 point for FG miss 0-49 yards

Any other scoring changes that you guys want to see?

Also, is everyone happy with the way the rosters are set up?

Edited by Vin

Not picky about positions/scoring.

I might miss a couple rounds, MAYBE... But I should be able to make it for a majority barring unforeseen circumstances. Holiday weekends at a restaurant are no joke. :nope::laugh:

That all looks good to me Vinny :yep: