Sign in to follow this  
MCFLYYY

Packers Season Preview

-RB: I disagree with the 4 star rating. Out of the 5, we've only seen 3 run the ball in the NFL. 2 were awful and the 3rd was mediocre. I understand the Lacy/Franklin combo is talented and I think there's a solid chance they turn the running game around in GB in due time, but giving them the 2nd highest rating based on that is premature.

-WR: I also disagree that RB will be anywhere close to as good as WR in Green Bay this year. I agree that the depth isn't as good as it could be, but Nelson-Cobb-Jones is a great trio. Basically you have 3 vet RB's returning, all pretty bad, and 3 vet WR's returning, all pretty good. So how in the world would RB figure to be the bigger strength? Nelson in particular is being underrated as we come into this season. He's Rodgers' best outside receiver and is due for a huge year, health allowing. And something tells me if they need a 4th receiver to step up, Boykin will do just fine.

-OL: The only thing I'll mention here that I think is overlooked is the potential for a healthy Derek Sherrod to win the RT job and provide an upgrade from Newhouse.

-DL: I think Raji figures to spend more and more time at NT, as the Packers have spent a 2nd and 1st round pick on guys who are DE's only. I'm guessing they view the future as Worthy-Raji-Jones.

• Upvote 1

-RB: I disagree with the 4 star rating. Out of the 5, we've only seen 3 run the ball in the NFL. 2 were awful and the 3rd was mediocre. I understand the Lacy/Franklin combo is talented and I think there's a solid chance they turn the running game around in GB in due time, but giving them the 2nd highest rating based on that is premature.

-WR: I also disagree that RB will be anywhere close to as good as WR in Green Bay this year. I agree that the depth isn't as good as it could be, but Nelson-Cobb-Jones is a great trio. Basically you have 3 vet RB's returning, all pretty bad, and 3 vet WR's returning, all pretty good. So how in the world would RB figure to be the bigger strength? Nelson in particular is being underrated as we come into this season. He's Rodgers' best outside receiver and is due for a huge year, health allowing. And something tells me if they need a 4th receiver to step up, Boykin will do just fine.

-OL: The only thing I'll mention here that I think is overlooked is the potential for a healthy Derek Sherrod to win the RT job and provide an upgrade from Newhouse.

-DL: I think Raji figures to spend more and more time at NT, as the Packers have spent a 2nd and 1st round pick on guys who are DE's only. I'm guessing they view the future as Worthy-Raji-Jones.

A little explanation on the RB/WR grades.

I gave them 4 at RB because they have a bunch of average guys but the ceiling is high because of the 2 talented rookies.

And while they do have 3 very talented WRs, Jones incredibly overreached his talent last year - he was barely top 40 in anything but his 1st ranked TDs - and Nelson isn't exactly a #1 either (more like a very solid #2). Cobb is their best threat but he isn't an outside guy.

I called Nelson and Jones 4 star guys and Cobb a 5 star in the slot. That's pretty good, but absolutely no depth means they're one Nelson/Jones injury away from being forced to start Boykin. The ceiling for WR is 4 stars (in my opinion) as Jones and Nelson aren't dominant WRs and there's no depth, while RB is 3 stars with the potential to be higher if the rookies develop quickly. So... as it stands there is more starting talent at WR yes, but by the end of the year it could shake out because of an injury or a rookie RB developing that RB is the stronger position.

Thanks for the response though.

A little explanation on the RB/WR grades.

I gave them 4 at RB because they have a bunch of average guys but the ceiling is high because of the 2 talented rookies.

And while they do have 3 very talented WRs, Jones incredibly overreached his talent last year - he was barely top 40 in anything but his 1st ranked TDs - and Nelson isn't exactly a #1 either (more like a very solid #2). Cobb is their best threat but he isn't an outside guy.

I called Nelson and Jones 4 star guys and Cobb a 5 star in the slot. That's pretty good, but absolutely no depth means they're one Nelson/Jones injury away from being forced to start Boykin. The ceiling for WR is 4 stars (in my opinion) as Jones and Nelson aren't dominant WRs and there's no depth, while RB is 3 stars with the potential to be higher if the rookies develop quickly. So... as it stands there is more starting talent at WR yes, but by the end of the year it could shake out because of an injury or a rookie RB developing that RB is the stronger position.

Thanks for the response though.

It seems to me like the Packers have never had that dominant "#1." It's not like Jennings was head and shoulders ahead of Nelson athletically or skill-wise. Cobb may even turn out to be better. They just have a lot of good options and Rodgers makes people look good. And while I agree that Jones' was responsible for a fluky amount of the team's touchdowns, I don't think the scores themselves were flukes. I just think that he ended up catching more than his share and that in the future that same amount of passing TD's will be spread out more evenly between the various options. Or another player will have the abnormally high total (like Nelson in 2011). I think it's important to note that Rodgers threw for 4295 yards and 39 touchdowns last year to essentially this same exact group (Jennings only had 366 and 4).

It seems to me like the Packers have never had that dominant "#1." It's not like Jennings was head and shoulders ahead of Nelson athletically or skill-wise. Cobb may even turn out to be better. They just have a lot of good options and Rodgers makes people look good. And while I agree that Jones' was responsible for a fluky amount of the team's touchdowns, I don't think the scores themselves were flukes. I just think that he ended up catching more than his share and that in the future that same amount of passing TD's will be spread out more evenly between the various options. Or another player will have the abnormally high total (like Nelson in 2011). I think it's important to note that Rodgers threw for 4295 yards and 39 touchdowns last year to essentially this same exact group (Jennings only had 366 and 4).

It's difficult for people to dub any Packer receiver a "#1" because only two of them have had outstanding seasons in a combined 13 NFL seasons (6 for Jones, 5 Nelson, 2 Cobb). Jennings was our clear #1 for every season between 2007-2010 (he started in 2006 but Driver was our #1 then). It was only until he got hurt in early 2011 where Nelson became outstanding, then Jones in 2012, where Jennings was hurt the whole year as well. None of the receivers on our roster have displayed continual excellent play like Jennings did.

And I don't see what a lot of people see in Randall Cobb. He hasn't displayed any flashes of greatness, really. There's quite a few "up and comers" at receiver that I would take over Cobb.

It's why I say as a whole, our receiver group is good. B+ grade. But individually, we're average.

Well I'm not going to try to argue a Packer fan into being high on Cobb, lol. But I'll let it play out and we'll see. I was big on the kid coming out of Kentucky. I think he'll be very good this season.

About time you got this up. Anyway...

QB:

No description needed really, and I am not going to argue with you.... Much.

Here's the thing about Aaron Rodgers. You make it seem like is not good under pressure. He is one of, if not the best QBs when facing pressure -- and he faces it constantly. I understand and have actually critiqued Aaron on "holding the ball too long" previously. And while that is an issue at times... That is just what Aaron does. He could be making a bad decision and throwing an INT... Or maybe he eludes the pressure like he does so often and makes a HUGE play downfield.

The issue is a gentle and sometimes unforgiving seesaw. He's gonna take those kinds of sacks sometimes, and it will piss me off. "THROW IT AWAY", I scream. But if you can't erase just those instances and still have all the great moments he has throwing on the run and under pressure. If I have to choose between him never holding onto the ball and throwing it away early on certain downs VS him holding onto it, sometimes taking a sack, and more often making a huge play.... I will take the latter.

RB:

You clearly overrate the current group in Green Bay. I like the potential of a Lacy / Franklin / Harris backfield A LOT. But I don't think potential alone deserves 4 stars. We haven't even seen anything out of them yet. Too early to tell and I am not into junxing any of those three.

Your analysis on last years backs was pretty spot on. Green is awful. Starks is awful in different ways. Benson has been (not by you necessarily) overrated by pretty much everyone. We were a better offense with him, but he didn't really do anything. Which is better than hurting the team like Alex Green did, so... :shrug:

I'd probably go a 3 here, and even that might be generous until we get some PROVEN results. But again, overall, solid analysis. :yep:

WR:

I am going to take what Badgers said and twist it some because he doesn't do a great job of explaining the situation. The reason that these guys don't have endless seasons of 1000 yards and back to back to back to back Pro Bowls is because Mike McCarthy likes to shift the focus of the offense every single season in order to be less predictable. Greg Jennings had a couple nice years, but then it was obvious we had too much talent to waste... Jordy Nelson had his breakout year. James Jones had a fantastic season last year with Cobb jumping in the mix.

This year, I think you may see a shift in Mike's thinking. My guess is he just goes with what is working. And that's the epicness that is Randall Cobb. I think you are going to see HEAVY doses of Cobb with lots of Finley mixed in (if he starts out the season well, they will continue to feed him the ball... If not, who knows what happens). This is Cobb's season to shine, and shine he will.

Having a group 4 deep like this does not scream a "lack of depth" to me, but I suppose that is just my opinion. How many teams WR depth are you actually approving of? Because your criteria seems almost impossible to achieve. Are you expecting starter level talent in the 4th spot on the depth chart at WR? If so, holy moly bro.. Lower the expectations. If not, the Packers have MANY MANY MANY serviceable bodies at WR. I doubt any of them make a huge impact, but I can not wait to see them in the preseason. Who is going to stand up and stand out to coaches and make the team?

We groom WRs like there is no tomorrow. We let Greg Jennings, a talented guy in his own right walk away. And he didn't even want to come back to Green Bay because there were too many talented guys at the same position stealing the spotlight from him.

Even though you didn't speak that highly of the group, you still gave them 4 stars which is solid although I would be pretty close to giving them 5 because overall the group is going to be extremely productive and very few WR corps around the league -- from top to bottom, can match the talent level here. 4.5? :D

OLine

I am really not going to spend much time discussing this pathetic group -- except for the fact that I REALLY REALLY want to see Sherrod play. And Bulaga did regress some but he was hurt all year. While I don't use that as an excuse for his poor play, it does make a little more sense and gives me hope that he can bounce back this year.

Sitton is amazing. TJ Lang is mediocre. And seeing Evan play center should be... interesting.

Dline

Finally, Mike Neal gets the love. He also isn't a bad run stopper like you claim. Good? Eh, maybe not. But saying "poor" is somewhat misleading. Why the hell was he not in there more often? Oh right, because we overrated Jerel DERPY in the draft and thought he should just automatically take the spot. He has the raw talent to be a great player, but he is SO inconsistent. The whispers of him taking off plays in college were so true and it pisses me off.

Mike Daniels I thought was solid, especially for a guy taken in the same draft as Worthy and a couple rounds later. While far from great, he held his own and did his job. I would have been fine with him getting more time as well.

Raji finally returned to form... although maybe that's because he's hungry for a huge contract. I hope he doesn't regress after getting it. Ryan Pickett has always been strong and steady. Love that man. :wub:

It also should be noted Mike Neal has been playing OLB so far. No idea how that is going to work, but good luck bro. I am rooting for you.

LB

I don't really want to address injuries much but.. We lost a very good LB in Bishop and a promising young player in DJ Smith in order to keep Brad Jones from the Titans by overpaying him. While I loved seeing Jones FINALLY play well after being kicked inside, he isn't worth the money we signed him for. Oh well, he played just fine and I expect him to continue it this year.

Clay is a beast. Pretty epic at everything... But he has struggled with hammy issues since we drafted him. STAY HEALTHY BRO.

Nick Perry was very OK in his short time on the field. He needs to utilize a bigger array of pass rush moves and get to the QB more consistently though. He's still very young of course, and I am expecting him to develop into a solid player.

Erik Walden is ass and I literally laughed at the deal the Colts gave him. What a joke. The depth is somewhat concerning here, but as mentioned previously. I am kind of interested to see what Mike Neal can do at LB.. Dude is a big man playing LB. lol

DBs

I love this group. We draft and develop corners like we do WRs.. It just comes easily for the current regime and I enjoy watching it happen. Being 4 deep at corner (Jarrett Bush should never see the field outside of ST) is pretty damn good in my book.

Tramon did get burned a lot to end the year as you mentioned.. Guys would just pick on him over and over because Casey and Sam were so hard to beat - but overall Tramon has a solid year.

Sam Shields was amazing and we need to lock him up long term. We probably won't because we draft so well at this position, and I will cry if he goes to Minnesota or another division rival. I've loved watching this UDFA grow, develop, and shut down WRs. I want to watch him for the next decade.

Casey looked great all year. Can't wait to see how he progresses, but I am keeping my expectations low. Bettering his 2012 season or even matching it will be damn near impossible.

Davon House had some injury problems, but his development has been going nice and steady as well.

Charles Woodson was playing fine at SS while he was on the field, but my opinion on the replacements for him differ from yours. I thought MD Jennings was more than serviceable his time there. You make it seem like Peprah was the first in line... He is awful as a starter, a decent ok reserve guy at best. He actually lost his job coming into the season, was given an opportunity in the middle to reclaim it and sucked massively. He is now gone. :clap:

You didn't talk much about Jerron. There will definitely be a battle for this roster spot between him, Jennings, and Sean Richardson... But Jerron is the best player of the three and was drafted to assume this role eventually. I think he SHOULD beat out the other guys to start alongside Burnett, but crazier things have happened.

The talent and depth are just astounding and we got rid of our biggest liability (Peprah). While we don't have a superstar, I'd really struggle to give this group less than a 5 star rating.

Special Teams

Masthay is a nice, accurate punter as you mentioned. I don't think we need a boomer with the offense we have, but obviously it would be nice to have a guy who can drop punts inside the 10 AND who can hit it 60 yards or whatever. That isn't the case, but I am okay with the position as it stands currently.

Fuck you Mason Crosby. That is all.

I'd really hate to see Cobb returning kicks this year, but there is no doubt he is electrifying. WR Jeremy Ross showed flashes and I hope he makes the team, because I loved watching him play. He did show some hands/fumble issues at one point but he is young and I expect him to get better. He's big, quick, and runs through tackles. He's a big reason I also think you underrate the WR group, but he might not even make the team knowing we drafted 2 more WRs this last draft.

The coverage units have really improved in the last year or two as well. We have one of the best gunners in the league in Jarrett Bush and I am quite content in this department until further notice. If any ST Coordinator can screw things up, it is Mr. Slocum.

Overall

I expect great things out of my Packers this year, and it seems you do as well. :laugh:

While I did disagree on a few big points.... Overall I felt your analysis was spot on. You seemed to have a good knowledge of the team and the payers on the team.

You obviously put a lot of work into this (and all the others you have done) and interjected stats with good analysis and thoughts.

Very well done, sir. And I appreciate you putting this together.