oochymp

Which division is going to be the best this season?

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which division is going to be best in 2013?

• AFC North
    • AFC South
    • AFC East
    • AFC West
    • NFC North
    • NFC South
    • NFC East
    • NFC West

pretty self explanatory, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought

Personally, I don't see how anyone can not vote for either the AFC North, NFC South, or NFC West, and I'd put them in that order

I'm almost expecting the AFC North to put three teams in the playoffs this year, and the Browns would probably push for a playoff spot if they were in an easier division

The NFC South is deceptively good, the Falcons were one of the top teams in the NFC last year and arguably got better, the Saints will rebound with Payton's return, and the Bucs and Panthers are both young teams that are moving in the right direction, and fun fact, all four NFC South teams were 3-3 in the division last year

The NFC West has two of the best teams in the NFC in the Seahawks and 49ers, the Cardinals have been a QB away from a very good team for a few years and now they have at least a mediocre starter, and the Rams have some solid pieces in place and it's very easy to underestimate a Jeff Fisher team, fun fact, the Rams finished the season 7-8-1 overall but were 4-1-1 within the division, if they can improve their out of division record a little bit they could push for a playoff spot

I'm almost expecting the AFC North to put three teams in the playoffs this year, and the Browns would probably push for a playoff spot if they were in an easier division

Steelers are going to have a tough go of it. That defense got old overnight. They've not really added a lot of good pieces on that side for awhile.

Offensively, it's going to be interesting to see how the loss of Wallace affects that team. In particular, it will bear watching how their sub stars in the receiving corps are affected without the headliner commanding attention.

I think that's just a team that is at best a 9 win club but more likely a 7 to 8 win club. And that's not going to get in if that's the case.

So many split series in that division are going to rob the teams of wins. I'd put Miami or Tennessee as more likely to nab that final spot over Pittsburgh.

Like I said in another thread, AFC North is going to be the most interesting division this season.

We have the reigning Super Bowl champs who definitely got better in the offseason and won't let anyone take the AFC North throne easily. Bengals and Browns are two young teams that will cause a lot of problems in divisional games. Some people even have Bengals as division champs

And Steelers. Well, you can never write us off.

Also, 3 playoff teams from AFC North seems quite possible, but I think that won't happen.

Have to go with the AFC North.

Steelers aren't quite as physical as years past, but they can air it out and are one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Ravens will still be a tough team to play against, I see their defense dropping off a bit but not too drastically, and their offense is very tough to stop with playmakers at RB, receiver and TE, a good offensive line and QB.

Bengals have a very good D and their offense is above average I think. I still don't get why they didn't start to use AJ Green until the 2nd half of that playoff game last year vs Houston and don't like Marvin Lewis much, but they have the talent to make the playoffs again.

Those 3 teams should be in the playoffs next year, and the Browns aren't a terrible team either. They have a good defense at least.

Edited by BradyFan81

Steelers are going to have a tough go of it. That defense got old overnight. They've not really added a lot of good pieces on that side for awhile.

Offensively, it's going to be interesting to see how the loss of Wallace affects that team. In particular, it will bear watching how their sub stars in the receiving corps are affected without the headliner commanding attention.

I think that's just a team that is at best a 9 win club but more likely a 7 to 8 win club. And that's not going to get in if that's the case.

So many split series in that division are going to rob the teams of wins. I'd put Miami or Tennessee as more likely to nab that final spot over Pittsburgh.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the defense, but I think it'll be good enough, offensively I really don't think they'll be too badly hurt by Wallace leaving, I think they'll be fine with Brown and Sanders, the only question mark in my mind is Big Ben's health, but as long as he doesn't miss an extended period of time I think they'll be around 9 or 10 wins and I would call them the favorite for at least one of the wild card spots, and I think it's gonna be a tough three team race for the division

Edited by oochymp

I think you have to throw out the AFCW, AFCS, AFCE, and NFCE right off the bat. Out of the divisions that are left:

AFCN: Obviously this division houses the superbowl champions in Baltimore, a perennial contender (when their QB isn't out) in Pittsburgh, a team loaded with talent in Cincinnati, and only one team that tends to always be towards the bottom of the league in Cleveland. Good to great defenses are pretty much the norm throughout, and two of the teams have solid franchise QB's. Cincinnati may have one as well (I'm not big on Dalton, but I won't say he can't get there). Feasibly three 10 win teams in this division, with the possibility of Cleveland surprising under a very good new coaching staff.

NFCW: This division boasts two teams that are potentially going to be elite in 2013. Behind San Francisco and Seattle, St. Louis has a talented roster but is probably going to be a middling team until Sam Bradford picks up his game (if that ever happens). At the back end, the NFCW includes one of the few teams that I think could be truly bad in 2013. Very good at the top and pretty bad at the bottom (though I know many will probably disagree with my take of the Cardinals). If the Rams played as tough outside of the division as they do inside, it would make this an easier choice for me.

NFCS: The NFC South is a meat grinder that tends to turn over with regularity. Any one of these teams stand the chance of having a good year, and (at least in my opinion) any one of them stands the chance of ending up under .500. The Saints and Falcons have fantastic offenses but could be betrayed by suspect defenses, the Bucs have some issues on both sides and it remains to be seen if they've been fixed, and the Panthers have some elite talent mixed with some glaring holes and little depth. This might be the league's "toughest" division in terms of how difficult it is for any one team to beat the others with regularity, but I hesitate to call it the best.

NFCN: One of the certainties about this division is that the Packers are going to be good. I take that for granted. Beyond that, there are some questions. The Vikings were 10 game winners that a lot of people (including myself) are down on for 2013. The Lions were 12 game losers who a lot of people are high on (including myself) and the Bears are a mystery under a new coaching staff. If Trestman gets the offense clicking, they could be as good or better than they were a year ago.

It's a tough call for me between the AFCN and the NFCN. Because I'm down on the Vikings this season, and I like PIT, BAL, and CIN to all win 10+ games in 2013 (with CLEV improving), I'm going to have to go with the AFC North.

I'm going to back the NFC South. For me, all four teams could end up with .500 or better records:

- The Falcons are the best in the division and are my tip to make the Super Bowl this season.

- The Saints should bounce back under Payton, not sure if they'll be title contenders, but they should have a winning season.

- The Buccaneers have strengthened well this off season and have a lot of potential.

- And the Panthers have a talented team, not a great team, but a team that is on the cusp of being a winning team. We played very inconsistently over the 10 or 11 weeks, but over the last six games they played really well. If we start how we ended, we'll finally get back to .500 or better.

I think the NFC South has generally been a very competitive and interesting division, and has always been tough to win. No team has ever won the division title in back-to-back years. The Falcons should be the first team to do it, but it might not be that easy, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of the other teams won it. For me, the NFC South next season will be the toughest division - though I am a little biased in my opinion on the NFC South! :p

Outside of that I think the NFC West is going to be another tough division. The 49ers should be favorites to reach the Super Bowl again; the Seahawks have strengthened and become even better on paper than last season; and the Rams have been 'quietly' been building a title contender, and if Bradford and co take a step forward in the passing game then a play off trip might be on the cards. Not sure how the Cardinals will end up doing, but the other three in that division are three teams with a ton of ability and potential.

In AFC I think the AFC West could see a revival. The Broncos are Super Bowl contenders; the Chiefs have an excellent head coach in Andy Reid, have got a potentially good QB in Alex Smith, and have generally strengthened well this off season, they could have a winning record this year; and the Chargers have got a new coaching set up, and if they can get Rivers back to his elite form, then with their talent they could be another winning team. The Raiders are probably going to win a couple or so games, but in the other three there is a Super Bowl contender, and two potential play off contenders.

• Upvote 1

NFC West. Every team has a possibly great defense.

Agreed.

1. NFCW

2. NFCS

3. AFCN

Those first three are easy to me and could really be in any order.

I say NFC West. All 4 teams have s legit chance to be at worst .500 and/or make playoffs

I'm going to back the NFC South. For me, all four teams could end up with .500 or better records:

- The Falcons are the best in the division and are my tip to make the Super Bowl this season.

- The Saints should bounce back under Payton, not sure if they'll be title contenders, but they should have a winning season.

- The Buccaneers have strengthened well this off season and have a lot of potential.

- And the Panthers have a talented team, not a great team, but a team that is on the cusp of being a winning team. We played very inconsistently over the 10 or 11 weeks, but over the last six games they played really well. If we start how we ended, we'll finally get back to .500 or better.

I think the NFC South has generally been a very competitive and interesting division, and has always been tough to win. No team has ever won the division title in back-to-back years. The Falcons should be the first team to do it, but it might not be that easy, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of the other teams won it. For me, the NFC South next season will be the toughest division - though I am a little biased in my opinion on the NFC South! :p

Outside of that I think the NFC West is going to be another tough division. The 49ers should be favorites to reach the Super Bowl again; the Seahawks have strengthened and become even better on paper than last season; and the Rams have been 'quietly' been building a title contender, and if Bradford and co take a step forward in the passing game then a play off trip might be on the cards. Not sure how the Cardinals will end up doing, but the other three in that division are three teams with a ton of ability and potential.

In AFC I think the AFC West could see a revival. The Broncos are Super Bowl contenders; the Chiefs have an excellent head coach in Andy Reid, have got a potentially good QB in Alex Smith, and have generally strengthened well this off season, they could have a winning record this year; and the Chargers have got a new coaching set up, and if they can get Rivers back to his elite form, then with their talent they could be another winning team. The Raiders are probably going to win a couple or so games, but in the other three there is a Super Bowl contender, and two potential play off contenders.

I agree...Not only the most competitive, but also for the fact you mentioned, all four teams could end up with .500 or better records! All four teams have made improvements that are expected to improve their win totals. Now Im not saying they'll be great, but I am saying that they will be better. I could see the last place team finishing 8-8.

Can't be the NFCW because while the 49ers/Seahawks/Rams might be good, the Cards are a huge question mark, and I'm not sold on Carson Palmer.

Can't be the NFCN because even though the Vikings went 10-6 last year, AP isn't going to run for 2k this season. Christian Ponder is a huge question mark, and that QB situation is only going to get worse if the Vikings are serious about trotting Cassel out there if Ponder struggles.

Can't be the AFCN because there's far too much roster turnover for both the Steelers and Ravens. And even if both the Ravens and Steelers are fine, you still have the Browns as the weak link (even though I think they're going to be a lot better than people think).

Therefore, for me is has to be the NFCS. The only division in which all four teams are strong, or at the very least, I have fewer questions about the weakest team than I do in any other division.

Best division in the league is going to be top heavy. The AFCN looks good with the defending SB Champs (Yuck), the up and coming Bengals and the always solid Steelers. The NFCW looks good because of the ridiculous talent the Seahawks and 9ers have and the Rams look like they will make some noise.

That said, I think, as Rz mentioned, the NFCS may very well be the most well rounded division. I think the Saints will be back in contention with SP back, the elite level Falcons are very talented on both sides of the ball, the Panthers have a good shot at winning record and Tampa if their offense plays like they did at the end of last year, and if their defense steps up figures to be right in the thick of things with the rest of the division.

who voted for the NFC East? I'm kinda curious as to why, to me all four teams have pretty big question marks

Traditionally it is the NFC South.

I give the West a slight edge because Arizona has a QB now and Rams are up and coming hard.

NFC South is right there. Over the past 3 or 4 seasons. N.O. and Atlanta have been tough competitors. Carolina is going to be a surprise team this year.(Barring major injuries aka 2003). Tampa to me is the question mark. Good Players but seem to lose games they should win.

AFC North. They have the defending Super Bowl champs but they lost some key players, Cincinnati to me, seems to be the new top dog. Pittsburgh has alot of grey in the beards. If Chudzinksi and Turner get their offense going Cleveland is going to suprise someone. AFC North could be as the OP wrote,Top Dawg or be a runaway for Cincinnati.

Just for the record the difference in these three division is so thin that I wouldn't argue one way or the other. The above is my opinion but could be swayed easily with more info.

Edited by DavethePanther

I think it will be hard to find a better division then the 2008 NFC South.

Carolina 12-4

Atlanta 11-5

Tampa Bay 9-7

New Orleans 8-8

I don't know if there has ever been another division (since the 2002 4 division format) to have all 4 teams above .500.

NFC South and NFC West could this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Well since the Saints were actually .500, not even the 2008 NFC South has all four teams above .500. Just saying.

I'm gonna say NFC North. Its really just a shot in the dark anyway but I could see a world in which that whole division is above .500. I think the Lions have a chance to really improve, the vikings seem to be able to ride Peterson's legs and a decent defense to wins and I think the Bears might be better than last year. Green Bay will be the best team in the league, imo. And now that I've said that They will all suck. Sorry for the jinx NFC North fans.

Traditionally it is the NFC South.

Carolina 12-4

Atlanta 11-5

Tampa Bay 9-7

New Orleans 8-8

I don't know if there has ever been another division (since the 2002 4 division format) to have all 4 teams above .500.

Do you ever take your homer glasses off?

Its not very hard to find, just go to the year before the 2008 NFCS

2007 AFCS

Colts 13-3

Jags 11-5

Titans 10-6

Texans 8-8

2007 NFCE (The Superbowl Champion, also came from the division this year)

Cowboys 13-3

Giants 10-6

Skins 9-7

Eagles 8-8

It's the NFC west easy! They are what the AFC north used to be. All defense and power running games. The NFC champion 49ers didn't beat the rams last year and got spanked on national tv by the Seahawks and I fully expect those 3 teams to push for the playoffs this year

Carolina 12-4

Atlanta 11-5

Tampa Bay 9-7

New Orleans 8-8

If that's the way you see the NFC South playing out record-wise, i'd be very shocked if it was the Saints, not the Bucs who finish with the worst record.

It's the NFC west easy! They are what the AFC north used to be. All defense and power running games. The NFC champion 49ers didn't beat the rams last year and got spanked on national tv by the Seahawks and I fully expect those 3 teams to push for the playoffs this year

While I agree with you on the West, IDT I'd call the Rams a power running game. Or at least, a good power running game. lol.

While I agree with you on the West, IDT I'd call the Rams a power running game. Or at least, a good power running game. lol.

They're not anymore. They are going to be a spread team. They basically rebuilt the Oklahoma offense around Bradford and are going to try and sling it this year but they do bring a thumper defense

Seattle lost to Miami and Detroit so shut yer mouth, boy. Stop sucking off your Seahawks and worry about your friggin' Broncos.