BLUE

NFL adopting 'fantasy-like' Pro Bowl format

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is scrapping the traditional AFC/NFC Pro Bowl format, and will adopt a "Pro-Bowl fantasy-like draft."

"Captains" Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will reportedly choose the squads in Hawaii. This year's game will be played on January 26 in Honolulu, and will not feature kickoffs. It's similar to what the NHL has done with its All-Star game, though Canada's national pastime lets current players choose the teams. Perhaps it's an improvement on the now defunct AFC/NFC format, but the hand-wringing over the league's All-Star exhibition has never made much sense. The game is inherently meaningless. This isn't going to change that, and will likely make the proceedings even more frivolous. Jul 31 - 1:28 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

open-fridge.gif
  • Upvote 1

they need to just bring back the skills competitions

I liked seeing the NHL skills things my 1st year getting back into Hockey. Even a small thing like seeing Gabriel Landeskog hustling the puck to the next set of players, the fastest skater thing which I think Carl Hagelin won.

NFL needs it back...

Specifically remember the 2004 pro bowl skills comp. Fun as hell to watch.

• Upvote 1

I have yet to hear anybody really care about it. Once this idea fails to rejuvenate the game, we'll see it disappear. I'd like to see a skills competition instead myself. I have fond memories of the old NFL QB Challenges that used to be on tv. It'd be nice to see that concept expanded.

• Upvote 1

I agree...bring back the skills competition. They used to have skills competitions, dont know why they stopped it? Wasnt pulling in enough interest back then? I do know the players aren't willing to risk serious injury, or their future by playing in a lackluster, meaningless game. So instead.. have them line up in individual skills challenges where as competitors they'll be motivated more IMO. Plus there's a lower risk of injury.

best part of the skills competitions was the defensive lineman obstacle course, that was so much fun to watch

here's my proposal:

keep the AFC v. NFC set up, voting in full 45 man rosters, then score players in each of the following competitions, after each competition I'm listing the maximum number of competitors each team enters and the number of players who score points for their team:

throwing accuracy 4; 3

throwing distance 4; 3

40 yard dash 10; 5

bench press 10; 5

obstacle course 20; 10

catching 10 (each participant gets to pick who from their team throws the ball to them); 5

corner punting 2; 1

field goal distance 2; 1

field goal horse 2; 1

no restrictions on who goes into what events, players can compete in multiple events, but everyone on the team has to participate in at least one event (there's space for 64 participants) the order of the events doesn't matter except that the obstacle course should be last

EDIT: actually, on second thought, end it with a six man relay with the following tasks:

Player 1: ten yard sled push (won goalline to own 10 yard line)

Player 2: throw a 50 yard pass to player 3 (behind own 10 to opp 40

Player 3: catch pass (must be caught past opp 40) ten yard zig-zag run through cones back toward player 2 (opp 40 to 50) handoff to Player 4

Player 4: tire run across the field (12 tires straddling 50) handoff to player 5

Player 5: 10 yard sideline throw to player 6 (from inside hash marks behind 50 to opp 40)

Player 6: catch pass (must be between opp 40 and opp 42 within five yards of sideline) run to endzone

Any time the ball hits the ground during the process, player picks it up and keeps going but it's a 5 second penalty, same penalty if a transfer (catch or handoff) is made outside of the designated area, each team gets two attempts

Edited by oochymp

I'm still not a fan of doing away with kick returns. It's a huge aspect of the game and a complete load of shit they are doing away with it. This is just the beginning of Goodell trying to completely cancel it out of the game.

It's the beginning of the end. Soon enough we won't see the electric returns of guys the likes of Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs. Plays that were so exciting and such game changers. We'll see teams start on the 25 yard line. Yikes. Disappointing.

I don't care how the teams are chosen. The game has the same meaning, which is nothing. The only way to give the game meaning is to give the players some sort of prize in terms of conference. Much like the All-Star game in the MLB, they need to formulate some way for the All-Star game to decide home field advantage for a conference either the next season or 2 seasons from the game being played. No one wants to play hard just for the possibility of getting injured. It's dumb.

Skills competitions were so badass, I'm still not sure why they did away with them.

If they televise the picking part and play it up, I could see that being entertaining to watch. Rice and Sanders? Could be fun.

Still should just bring back the skills competition, though.

What if Von Miller has to hit Peyton Manning. The format should remain AFC vs NFC, then pick squads from a larger pool.