BC

Training Camp

post-3005-0-90230500-1375320448_thumb.jpgWent to Hawks training camp over at the VMac. Biggest standout was rookie wideout Chris Harper making some catches over Winfield. Russels favorite target out of the healthy ones we have, and when the starting safeties werent in they would connect deep. Russel made no bad throws, which is remarkable against this secondary. Earl Thomas finally signed the jers. Cliff Avril sat our with a mild hamstring, and Clemons, Percy, and Sidney obviously didnt play.

Defense: Tuesday, Pete Carroll offered, “Max is having a great camp.” Today, Max –

Byron Maxwell – continued to play to his coach’s praise.

The third-year cornerback turned in impressive efforts on back-to-back plays in the 7-on-7 drill. On the first, he locked in early on

Brady Quinn’s pass to Golden Tate along the sideline and made the interception. On the second, he arrived at tight end Sean McGrath in the same blink as Quinn’s pass to force an incompletion.

The other DBs celebrated the second play by giving Maxwell helmet slaps, but there was no question which effort he liked best.

“The pick, of course. The turnover,” he said.

And what happened on that play? “I was reading the formation,” Maxwell said. “We’ve been out here for a while, so everything is starting to look familiar. I’m just using my technique. And if the ball comes my way, I’m just trying to make a play on it.”

YOU DON'T SAY

“Wherever (receivers) coach (Kippy) Brown needs me that’s where I go and just try to do my best and compete and do well and make plays.”

Second-year wide-out

Jermaine Kearse, who got reps with the No. 1 offense today because Rice and Harvin are not practicing

Offense: Another two-fer, and from the same period in practice. On the first play,

Russell Wilsondropped a beautiful pass over 6-foot-4 cornerbackBrandon Browner and into the hands of Tate along the opposite sideline.

“You cannot throw the ball any better that,” said Steve Raible, the former wide receiver and now radio voice of the team who was watching practice from the same sideline where Tate made the catch.

On the next play, Wilson used a pump fake to momentarily freeze the defensive backs and then fired another pretty pass to rookie wide receiver

Chris Harper, who did his part to get wide open by running a nice out-and-up route – with the “up” coinciding with Wilson’s pump fake.

“It was absolutely perfect,” Tate said of the pass he caught. “I was in stride. The ball was over my left shoulder where a DB couldn’t get it. It was great pass and Russell has grown a lot with his accuracy. So I’m very pleased with his development since the end of last season.”

Edited by BC

Been keeping up with other team's updates just cause ours has been so anti-climatic.

The Bear's Kyle Long and Wootten have been balling.

Datonne Jones to no surprise to me has been tearing up the Packer's camps. It's training camp stuff so it means very little at most.

Cordelle Paterson doing this:

And Calvin Johnson with this sexy catch...

http://deadspin.com/is-this-calvin-johnson-catch-impressive-933674887

Apparently Nnamdi has looked very good, disrupting the offense n shit.

So far I am hearing a lot of good things from Colts camp about second year TEs Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.

Apparently Nnamdi has looked very good, disrupting the offense n shit.

That comment made me laugh for a good minute

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Word out of camp is that Ponder isn't going to be an MVP candidate this year.

• Upvote 1

:rofl:

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the Miami Herald, Dolphins LT Jonathan Martin has been "owned" by second-year RE Olivier Vernon "since the opening of camp."

Martin was beaten for three sacks by Vernon in Thursday's practice, and two more sacks by Dion Jordan on Wednesday. Per reporter Armando Salguero, Martin's pass pro is "looking problematic at this point." The Dolphins have known this was a potential issue all along, pursuing Branden Albert in trade talks before the draft. Now, they may be stuck with Martin on Ryan Tannehill's blindside. Aug 1 - 11:40 PM

Source: Miami Herald

Wasn't Martin the one who was turned into a human blocking sled by Aldon Smith last year? Or was that Long...

Yeah, Aldon had a rather good day against Martin.

aldon-smith2-12-9-12.gif

Never gets old.

While the veteran steps up in Philadelphia, the opposite appears to be true in New York. Reports regarding Geno Smith's practices consistently have been more positive in training camp than they were in organized team activities and minicamp.

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez went 3-of-10 with an interception in Wednesday's practice. ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini believes Smith has taken a lead in the race. Sanchez was asked if he's leading the competition.

"Um, I don't know. Ask the coaches," Sanchez said, via Newsday. "I don't know. It depends on who you ask. I'm not really worried about it. I feel good. I feel comfortable."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224414/article/michael-vick-geno-smith-taking-lead-in-qb-battles

Emo Geno Emo...

He damn near shoved Martin right into Tannehil.

...rare google chrome hiccup facepalm.gif

Edited by BC

Jonathan Martin :rofl:

Been trashing this guy pre-2012 draft on this other board. Once the Fins reached for him in the 2nd, all the Dolphins fans there would say, "you're a Jags fan, you don't know blah blah blah." Then the season happened. They're still in denial, but it's pretty obvious the guy can't play at LT.

Yeah, Aldon had a rather good day against Martin.

aldon-smith2-12-9-12.gif

Never gets old.

MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY

When the Bills had the 2nd round pick and Glenn and Martin were available, I said I didn't know enough about either to say which one they should take, but that they better take one of them. I'm glad we took Glenn.

In Bills camp news, apparently EJ has looked much better than Kolb. Reporters there say it'd be very surprising if he doesn't start week 1.

I don't know much about EJ Manuel, but I know everyone keeps saying he is still very raw. I saw him on Training Camp live and he took off out of the pocket and went blazing down the side line, it was pretty neat. I'd like to see the Bills start him. Why not? It's not as if their other options are too much better at this point in time.

Not to mention ESPN just reported that Kolb hurt himself slipping on a mat...

Edited by blotsfan

Lance Dunbar has showed more improvement than any of the other Rbs. Hatcher is looking good in 4-3. Rookie B.W. Webb is causing Wr's headaches, looks very confident can't wait to watch him. Phil Costa is doing well, and the biggest surprise........ Doug Free looks 10 times better!

Word out of camp is that Ponder isn't going to be an MVP candidate this year.

I haven't been keeping up with the Minnesota TC; how has Ponder been doing overall?

Edited by Vikingfan465

I have a theory the Bills have been leaving wet rubber mats in front of Kolb's path since the minute they draft EJ. lol

I don't know much about EJ Manuel, but I know everyone keeps saying he is still very raw. I saw him on Training Camp live and he took off out of the pocket and went blazing down the side line, it was pretty neat. I'd like to see the Bills start him. Why not? It's not as if their other options are too much better at this point in time.

Watched every game he's played at FSU in college.

Positives:

1) Smart off the field (learns offenses fast, all around aware guy), 2) Presence in the huddle/on the field (this is what the Bills' coaches meant by the "it" factor), 3) Great size, 4) Above average arm (throws a beautiful post route), 5) Mobility (better on designed runs than scrambling though), 6) Has played well in big games.

Negatives:

1) Streaky (one series he's lights out, the next — balls are in the dirt), 2) Poor field vision (causes him to hold on to the ball, take sacks etc, also why he struggles passing over the middle), 3) Average acceleration (though his mobility is a positive, he's surprisingly slow to get going, he's not a quick twitch runner, he's more of a long strider top end guy), 4) Shrinks in the pocket (this is due to indecision because of his lack of field vision, he'll drop his eye level and hesitate whether he should look back down field or run, causes bad things to happen.)

He's a reach at 16th in the 1st IMO. More of a developmental guy, should sit and get used to NFL speed (gonna be rough for him in the beginning IMO.) The field vision is the scariest trait. If he gets in a rhythm and the plays called go perfect he'll be great, but that only happens 30% of the time in the NFL. Manuel has struggled mightily against the good defenses in college. He's torched the poor ones. Gonna be an adjustment for him. But I hope he succeeds, FSU has a bad track record with NFL QBs. :(

Deonte Thompson is still really fast.

Matt Elam can cover as well.

Our D line is sick.

Receivers are not a strong suit.