BC

Training Camp

Notes from Jags intra-squad scrimmage:

— lolGabbert and lolHenne are still lolGabbert and lolHenne.

— MJD looks like he's all the way back after offseason foot surgery. He's leaner and quicker than he was last year, and hasn't missed a day of practice.

— Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson each broke off huge returns (Shoelace on a KR, Ace on a PR), both of which may or may not of gone for TDs in live tackling. Needless to say, the Jags have added two game breakers in the return game that they've literately never had in franchise history (except MJD's rookie year when he returned kickoffs.)

— Ace Sanders is a legit WR. He's jumped vets like Massaquoi and Shipley already and is starting next to Cecil Shorts with Blackmon still out. He was the star player of the scrimmage demonstrating the ability to get open consistently, excellent hands, and he even jumped over the much taller (6'2") Alan Ball to pull in one of the best catches of the night on a 25 yard catch.

— Jason Babin seems to fit his new role. He was even giving Eugene Monroe and rookie Luke Joeckel problems in pass rush, consistent pressure (especially with Henne at QB, who holds the ball longer than Gabbert.)

— The DL all around looks much better, Sen'Derrick Marks, Jason Babin, Tyson Alualu, and Pannel Egboh stood out making plays last night.

— This defense will produce more turnovers. They're by far a more aggressive defense, and rookie Dwayne Gratz had a near pick 6 on Henne last night. During the week Alan Ball has had 2 INTs for TD, Dwight Lowery had a FF that was returned for a TD. The defense is much more aggressive, attacking the offense and swarming the ball.

------

So... due to the QBs we're still gonna be bad, but at least we'll be exciting this year. Oh yeah, Jags had their highest attended scrimmage by the fans in team history (19,000 good for 9th in the NFL of the 24 teams who've already had their mock game or released attendance numbers.) All after a 2-14 year.

BQyGcZzCEAIggpx.jpg

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I haven't been keeping up with the Minnesota TC; how has Ponder been doing overall?

Word out of Mankato is both Ponder and Cassel look pretty bad, specifically Ponder's accuracy. McLeod Bethel-Thompson is their sharpest-looking QB right now.

Going to Bills camp today. The bright side to Kolb's injury is that EJ should be getting more reps.

Going to Bills camp today. The bright side to Kolb's injury is that EJ should be getting more reps.

Is it bad that I'm still tickled on how Kolb got injured?

The entire offense for the Titans has looked pretty good so far in training camp, haven't heard a ton of great things about the D though.

This is uplifting though:

@DanoFox17

#JakeLocker's been impressive so far in training camp. He's a different guy than the last 2 years. I've been VERY critical of his play too

Maybe Jake isn't a colossal failure after all. Guess we'll just have to see, but outside of the first day of training camp, he's played very well.

Reading about how Eddie Lacy is next-to-impossible to tackle at Packers camp right now. He broke off a string of nice runs during a scrimmage and everyone is raving.

So much for all that being out of shape stuff.

One of the words out of Denver camp is that Sylvester Williams has been close to unblockable, he brings a massive amount of agility and our pair of talented guards have bad a hard time blocking him one on one. He even whipped a spin move on Zane beadles and left him blocking air

Reading about how Eddie Lacy is next-to-impossible to tackle at Packers camp right now. He broke off a string of nice runs during a scrimmage and everyone is raving.

So much for all that being out of shape stuff.

Yup, he had an amazing scrimmage last night exhibiting both the explosion and raw power we drafted him for. If he can play like that during the season, we struck gold. I am not holding my breath, however.

Johnathan Franklin wasn't nearly as impressive as he started off in camp. Carrying 7 times for under 3 YPC and fumbling a KR.

The Packers coaches are also very quietly excited about RB Angelo Pease. While James Starks has had a nice camp, and Alex Green is making cuts he has never been able to before... Pease is the guy to watch. He could leapfrog both of those guys, especially if one is traded, and has apparently already jumped D. Harris who hasn't been able to practice at all this year with an injury. It pains me to say because he looked to be so full of potential, but Harris probably isn't making this roster -- not if he can't get on the field.

Datone Jones has been unstoppable early as well and 2nd year DT out of Iowa, Mike Daniels, has been tearing up the Oline (not that difficult, lol) and it's said he is becoming a young leader on the team. He exhibits a lot of emotion and isn't afraid to talk a little smack on the side. A big mouth with the talent to back it up? Just what the "soft" Packers D needs. So excited for that young man, especially after watching him at Iowa for many years.

We have multiple DB injuries and there are young guys all over the roster making big plays. James Nixon who was on the practice squad last year is looking REALLY GOOD. Brandon Smith, who was a WR for the Panthers and Seahawks and hasn't played football for 2 years has converted to CB and has also looked very good... All things considered -- with two very nice INTs so far this year.

Bryan Bulaga has been dominant at LT so far, after completely healing from his injury last year. Also, rookie David Bakhtiari is turning heads with his play at RT, possibly unseating Marshall Newhouse for the starting gig.

Mason Crosby still sucks ass. He is competing against some Italian kid with little leg power to clear FGs beyond 50ish yards, yet he (Crosby) still has trouble beating him. He went 3/8 on FGs in our scrimmage the other night and I am not sure coach is going to be as patient with him this year.

Edited by Favre4Ever

:Eagles:

- I'm eager to see who wins the Qb competition out of Vick and Foles. Probably won't find out until after the 3rd preseason game or before our Redskins game.

- Curious to see who will step up and take the #2 WR position since Jeremy Maclin tore his ACL.

- Earl Wolff is showing off his athleticism. I hope he shapes out to be a good safety because we haven't had one since Dawkins left.

- Brandon Boykin is turning some heads at camp with some great plays playing as an outside corner. He played slot corner last year so this is definitely interesting.

- Hearing Trent Cole has shown some fluidity in moving backwards and in space. That would be awesome if he transitions to OLB smoothly.

- Brent Celek camp hasn't been all that great so far. A lot of dropped passes and inconsistencies that seem to be lingering from last year.

Other players I'm interested in:

Mychal Kendricks progression from year 1 to year 2. Amazing athlete and showed some flashes last year but wind up struggling with consistency and missed tackles. I hope for a better sophomore campaign.

Brandon Graham was simply a beast and dominated last year with limited opportunities. I think he has a breakout year and flourishes in his transition to OLB like he played in college.

Damaris Johnson and his increased role. He put on a good show as our slot receiver last year. Showed much quickness and put up some good YAC. I think he will have a good year.

Brandon Fletcher a corner from the Rams is someone that I've grown some interest with. I can't wait to see him play. For some reason I think he will be a better asset than Cary Williams.

Curtis Marsh our 3rd year corner has shown some great flashes with his very limited opportunities being buried in our depth chart under star cornerbacks. I'm really eager to see what he can do given more opportunities.

Zach Ertz our 2nd round TE who I believe will be a problem. I think he leads our TEs in TDs this year.

EJ didn't look very good today. He threw a few picks, but one was an amazing play by Gilmore. I really think he's gonna do well this year.

Fan of Gilmore and Earl Wolff. Glad to hear.

EJ needs to get used to NFL speed, it's going to be a huge hurdle for him as he already struggled reading defenses at the college level. I can only imagine how it would be in the NFL with much faster athletes all around.

I just read a blurb mentioning that the Raiders had to forego practicing in pads yesterday because twelve linemen are injured.

!!!

Are you kidding me? I mean, they're starting with one of the worst rosters in the league, and TWELVE of their freaking guys are out right now along the line??? AND they had to give up a precious padded practice? That SUCKS. I can't stand the Raiders, and even I feel sorry for them right now.

Per Rotoworld:

Texans UDFA Dennis Johnson is considered the favorite for the No. 3 running back job.

Arian Foster (calf, back) remains on active/PUP and Ben Tate is nursing a minor groin strain. That's left Johnson with plenty of first-team reps as he battles fellow UDFAs Cierre Wood and Ray Graham. Johnson goes just 5'7/196, but is strong in blitz pickup and fits the zone-blocking scheme well.

Source: CSN Houston

I'm really pulling for Dennis Johnson to beat out Cierre Wood for the 3rd RB spot. Love his bulldozing running style! I'm actually excited to see how he does in the preseason games.

I just read a blurb mentioning that the Raiders had to forego practicing in pads yesterday because twelve linemen are injured.

!!!

Are you kidding me? I mean, they're starting with one of the worst rosters in the league, and TWELVE of their freaking guys are out right now along the line??? AND they had to give up a precious padded practice? That SUCKS. I can't stand the Raiders, and even I feel sorry for them right now.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are more injuries then normal this early already?

Went to Browns camp last Wednesday and had a blast.

Dd04H59.jpg

As for what I saw, the receivers looked good and the quarterbacks didn't. Too many false starts on the line, but at least it's only camp. And I already miss Phil Dawson.

Everyone is saying that Reiff has looked great so far in camp. DE isn't really our strong point at this moment to I'm really looking forward to seeing him against the Jets.

Word out of Mankato is both Ponder and Cassel look pretty bad, specifically Ponder's accuracy. McLeod Bethel-Thompson is their sharpest-looking QB right now.

515.jpg

I haven't been keeping up with the Minnesota TC; how has Ponder been doing overall?

He started off really poorly the first few days, but he's gotten alot better since then. Word is that Ponder has been challenging himself to throw the ball with more velocity and further downfield. DailyNorseman.com offers awesome Vikings TC coverage if you're looking for updates.

Apparently EJ struggled at first yesterday in the first scrimmage, but picked it up and was making great throws by the end. Also, our UDFA qb Jeff Tuel looked great too. If he keeps it up, it wouldn't stun me if we make him the backup instead of Kolb.

Tyrann Mathieu earns praise at Arizona Cardinals camp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226507/article/tyrann-mathieu-earns-praise-at-arizona-cardinals-camp

Perhaps Dez Bryant knew what he was talking about when he declared in April that Tyrann Mathieu was the best player in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Entering training camp, general manager Steve Keim complimented Mathieu on an "outstanding" offseason.

A week later, it's obvious that the NFL game already is slowing down for Mathieu. One scout told Ron Wolfley of Arizonasports.com that Mathieu has been "pound-for-pound, the best player on the field." An offensive assistant added that the third-round draft pick is "going to change the team."

Translation: The "Honey Badger" is undersized but still highly impressive.

Draft analysts praised Mathieu for his natural football instincts, so it should be no surprise that he's already comfortable at cornerback, safety and nickelback in coordinator Todd Bowles' defense.

"Tyrann is getting his hands on a lot of balls," quarterback Carson Palmer said recently. "He's so quick and explosive in and out of breaks and reading concepts and knowing coverages and weaknesses in where we're trying to throw the ball."

The early signs suggest the Cardinals might have the steal of the draft. Mathieu has the look of an NFL-ready playmaker, which should lead to a major role in a secondary that lost Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes and Greg Toler from last season's roster.

The Honey Badger could prove to be a great value. It will be nice to see how he develops and if he can add to a secondary that already has a Patrick Peterson.

Mark Sanchez will start N.Y. Jets' preseason opener

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226816/article/mark-sanchez-will-start-ny-jets-preseason-opener

Mark Sanchez is the first man up at quarterback for the New York Jets.

Rex Ryan announced Tuesday that Sanchez will start the Jets' preseason opener Friday against the Detroit Lions. Ryan said Geno Smith will get some work with the first team as well.

Ryan hopes Smith will face the Lions' first team defense, though he acknowledged that will determined by how long Jim Schwartz sticks with his 1s.

Jones: Key to the Jets' QB battle

With Geno Smith on the rise, is Mark Sanchez throwing away his chances to be the Jets' QB? Kimberly Jones reports. More ...

"The preseason doesn't end after this first preseason game," Ryan said. "We'll take it through as much as possible, we said this is going to be equal competition and it is going to be a competition and I think that's exactly what it is."

It's an expected decision by the team. Sanchez is the veteran incumbent set to earn $8.5 million this season. He's expected to beat out the rookie, which explains why Sanchez will get the first chance to make an impression.

That said, don't be surprised if Smith starts the Jets' second preseason game next Saturday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The starter the following week -- on Aug. 24 against the New York Giants -- will likely be the quarterback who takes the field on Sept. 8 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Campin mad :yep:. No, in all seriousness though, a lot can change from now until regular season. I will be keeping an eye out for when Geno hits the field though. I also want to see the affect Marty Mornhinweg can have on that abysmal offense.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

Brian Cushing 'ready now' for Houston Texans games

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226910/article/brian-cushing-ready-now-for-houston-texans-games

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing joined teammates in 7-on-7 drills last week for the first time since tearing his ACL last October.

Schein: The big question in Houston

Is Matt Schaub capable of taking Houston to the Super

Bowl? Adam Schein says the Texans QB must erase a certain stigma. More ...

Cushing insists his knee is back to pre-injury form, which matches what NFL.com's Ian Rapoport is hearing at Texans training camp.

"He's ready now," a source who sees Cushing regularly told Rapoport. "He has no soreness, he accelerates, he can run."

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips also confirmed that everything is copacetic with Cushing's knee so far.

"He looks good," Phillips said. "You can tell he can still really run. That's the first thing you look for."

The importance of a fully healthy Cushing cannot be overstated. The Texans' defense allowed 25-plus points in five of the last 11 regular-season games following Cushing's injury last year. The Denver Broncos were the only team to top 17 points in five games against the Texans with Cushing in the lineup.

Texans fans should be excited about this news. Cushing is one of the top ILB in the league when healthy. Hopefully he makes a full recover.

J.J. Watt, Houston Texans steadily rolling along in training camp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226835/article/jj-watt-houston-texans-steadily-rolling-along-in-training-camp

HOUSTON -- In the sweltering heat, with 8 a.m. practice being the best option for creating a productive environment, the Houston Texans toil away.

"It's the dog days of camp at this point," general manager Rick Smith told me, before we both took a stab at cooling off.

Aside from the temperature, the Texans have little to worry about. A few nagging injuries, maybe, but who doesn't have those? No, the NFL's most low-key and under-the-radar winners are plugging along productively -- same as always.

In fact, the only controversy came a few days ago, when star defender J.J. Watt showed up with his elbow brace (ack!) again ... an elbow brace that helped him pile up 20.5 sacks and 16 pass deflections last season. Yup, all is well in Houston.

Here are five things I learned during my day at training camp:

1) Even when he's not on the field, Ed Reed makes a huge difference: Reed was the Texans' highest-profile free-agent signing, and having him miss time in camp with an injured hip -- on Monday, he told NFL Network's Deion Sanders that he's at 75-80 percent and wouldn't play if the season started today -- isn't ideal. Yet, Reed's contributions off the field have been just as notable as what he hasn't been able to do on it. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips told me that Reed has been invaluable in meetings, making suggestions and offering tips. Sometimes, Phillips will go, "OK, let's do it that way." While on the sideline at practice, Reed will holler to the youngsters about how a receiver is leaning or what a split means. Safety D.J. Swearinger -- one of two Texans rookies who might start in Year 1 -- has been the biggest beneficiary. When Reed does make it on the field, Phillips explained, the goal will be to take advantage of his uncanny instincts. "With Ed Reed, he's going to have the same assignment as the other free safeties have," Phillips said. "But he's going to have a little more latitude as far as what he does with it. So, that's the way we always approach it. Any time you get good players, you got to let them play. Got to try to utilize them."

2) The Texans like their rookies: Houston's main goal heading into April's draft was to find a complementary piece to veteran receiver Andre Johnson, a threat on the outside. Based on what has transpired thus far in camp, the Texans believe they've found that in first-round pick DeAndre Hopkins -- the other rookie with a good shot to start. The big, athletic Hopkins boasts a simple ability: He can catch. "Whether it's a one-handed grab where he comes out of the break or a contested catch or something, he continues to show that he has a chance to really help us this year," Smith told me. Hopkins has also learned from Johnson. The story told to me was that one day, Hopkins saw Johnson in the hot tub before practice and asked him if he did that every day. Johnson said he did. And since then? Hopkins hasn't missed a day yet. "Obviously, when we talk about DeAndre," Smith said, "you're going to have some rookie experiences, and he has to go through them at the position. But just from an athletic standpoint, he makes plays every day." As for Swearinger, he simply carries himself like a veteran. "He's got such savvy and instincts," Smith said, "and awareness, and he's tough. It's showing up in the pads." Perhaps Houston can withstand the wait for Reed to return. Of course, Swearinger likely will find his way on the field regardless of Reed's status. Looking for two more players ready to burst onto the scene? How about receiver Keshawn Martin, who is making a big second-year leap, and rookie tight end Ryan Griffin from Connecticut.

3) In Houston, Matt Schaub is the man: Nationally, there are still questions about the starting quarterback. Locally -- and especially among team personnel -- there are not. The Texans believe Schaub is the guy to lead them to the next step after making progress toward that goal each year. It's why they found him help in Hopkins, while also solidifying his offensive line. Much like Joe Flacco before he won the Super Bowl, however, Schaub must accomplish something if he wants to gain respect. "He just has to continue doing what he's done," Smith said. "He's got to play better in those critical situations, and he knows that. He's a great leader for our football team; our guys believe in him. We just gotta keep grinding." Having running back Arian Foster fully healthy would make life a bit easier, though his calf and back injuries have given the team time to look at Foster's backups, including undrafted Arkansas running back Dennis Johnson. After coming out of nowhere to impress, Johnson is a player to watch.

4) J.J. Watt's elbow brace merits a big, fat "meh": The fact that Watt's elbow is back in the brace that helped him become Defensive Player of the Year in 2012 isn't a concern, not to me and not to the Texans. Watt is a bit annoyed -- he'd like to shed it, but that's not realistic. What is realistic is that Watt is primed to build on last season's heroics, with Phillips putting his stamp on the 2012 contributions. "Nobody's ever had a better year than he had last year," Phillips told me. "This is my 37th year. I remember a lot of them. Nobody's had a year like he had. Tackles for loss, tipped balls, almost the most sacks ever, almost the most tackles behind the line, most hits on a quarterback -- it was phenomenal. He's going to make all the plays. He's going to be a star player for a while. He works at it and he's gifted and knows when to go inside or around the block and make the play, when to rush the passer and get to the quarterback, when to pull up and knock the ball down. He's got some innate qualities that most guys don't have. He looks great in practice." Helping Watt on the line: quick and unheralded nose tackle Earl Mitchell, who is coming on strong, and veteran Antonio Smith. That's a formidable group.

5) Brian Cushing is ready -- now: Cushing is being eased back onto the practice field as he continues his rehab from an ACL injury, but this isn't a bad sign. Just the opposite. It shows how valuable he is. Of course, this became abundantly clear after he went down last season, judging by how much the defense suffered in his absence. Once Cushing shows he's back to being his old self on the field, the Texans will attempt to reach an agreement on a long-term extension with him. (He's on the last year of his rookie contract.) A source who sees Cushing regularly told me this: "He's ready now. He has no soreness, he accelerates, he can run." In other words, he's primed for a big comeback. The best way for Phillips to tell is to watch Cushing move on the field -- and clearly, he likes what he's seen. "He looks good," Phillips said. "You can tell he can still really run. That's the first thing you look for." And adding Joe Mays to the linebacker group should pay dividends in terms of depth; it's rare to find a player that good so late in free agency. With Cushing, Mays, Tim Dobbins and Darryl Sharpton in the fold, the Texans should be able to withstand an injury.

It will be interesting to see if Deandre Hopkins can step up and be the much needed #2 guy for the Texans. That would help out that team so much having another viable target other than Andre Johnson. But they definitely need Matt Schaub to step up. I still expect them to run the ball a lot with their offense being predicated off the run. However, they may want to give Tate some more carries though (assuming he wasn't injured last year). Foster was very effective in the redzone but hit a wall in his average yards per carry and his been a workhorse the last 3 years having 956 carries.

Daryl Richardson likely starting RB for St. Louis Rams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000227102/article/daryl-richardson-likely-starting-rb-for-st-louis-rams

Coach Jeff Fisher told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport last week that the St. Louis Rams will likely go with a committee of two or three running backs this season.

But Fisher suggested Tuesday that second-year pro Daryl Richardson already has emerged as the leader of that backfield committee. "I think Daryl comes back as our starter," Fisher said Tuesday, via the Rams' website. "He played significantly more last year than anybody."

The Rams essentially relegated Richardson to outside runs, pitches and receptions last season in an effort to get him in space as a complement to Steven Jackson. After outplaying the more highly touted 2012 second-round draft pick Isaiah Pead, Richardson now has the experience edge entering preseason action. It doesn't hurt his case that Pead is suspended for the first game of the season.

"I'm a good quality back," Richardson said Tuesday, via Rams insider Tony Softli. "I feel I can do it all, be an every down back."

While it's noteworthy that Fisher has endorsed Richardson with more than a month to go before the season opener, there's no reason to believe the Rams will back off their intention to use two or three tailbacks. If Pead or Zac Stacy develops the hot hand, Richardson could still take a backseat.

It's going to be weird not seeing Steven Jackson in the backfield. It's going to be interesting to see how they fair without him.

Mark Sanchez will start N.Y. Jets' preseason opener

Campin mad :yep:. No, in all seriousness though, a lot can change from now until regular season. I will be keeping an eye out for when Geno hits the field though. I also want to see the affect Marty Mornhinweg can have on that abysmal offense.

I wonder if Sanchez will play it safe in preseason so he doesn't cough up turnovers and lose the job to Geno by being himself. :yep: Gonna be tough to win the gig when the coach has his wife tattooed wearing the other guys' jersey though.

iseeu.png