Sign in to follow this  
BC

Manziel may be suspended for season

MIAMI -- The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January, "Outside the Lines" has learned. Two sources tell "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee during his trip to Miami for the Discover BCS National Championship. Both sources said they witnessed the signing, though neither saw the actual exchange of money.

Three sources said Manziel signed photographs, footballs, mini football helmets and other items at the request of an autograph broker named Drew Tieman. Two sources, who are aware of the signing arrangement, told "Outside the Lines" that Tieman approached Manziel on Jan. 6, when he landed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to attend the game between Alabama and Notre Dame the next day.

After that meeting, three sources said, Manziel, accompanied by his friend and personal assistant Nathan Fitch, visited Tieman's residence and signed hundreds of items in the main room of the apartment despite the fact that there were many people in the room. Before Manziel left South Florida, after taking in the title game, he signed hundreds of autographs more, one source said.

The source also told "Outside the Lines" that James Garland, the NCAA's assistant director of enforcement, in June contacted Tieman and at least one person associated with the signings. The source said Garland, who did not return calls from "Outside the Lines" for comment, told the person that he wanted to talk about Manziel signing items that had appeared for sale on eBay. An NCAA spokeswoman cited NCAA policy to "Outside the Lines" and declined to comment.

ESPN's GigEmNation

gigemnation.jpgESPN.com's GigEmNation covers everything Texas A&M, including college football and recruiting.GigEmNation

More:

Recruiting news | Blog

If the NCAA investigation finds that Manziel has violated NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 -- accepting money for promoting or advertising the commercial sale of a product or service -- he could be ruled ineligible.

Attempts to reach Manziel were unsuccessful. Tieman did not return multiple calls and text messages. Fitch could not be reached.

In a statement, Jason Cook, Texas A&M's senior associate athletics director for external affairs, said "it is Texas A&M's longstanding practice not to respond to such questions concerning specific student-athletes."

Texas A&M declined further comment.

But A&M has responded to questions about Manziel and autographs before. On March 6, when ESPN.com contacted the school's compliance director, David Batson, to address a slew of Manziel-signed items that had flooded the memorabilia market, Batson provided a statement:

"Johnny has indicated on numerous occasions and, once again earlier today, that he has never (and to his knowledge, his parents, other relatives and friends have ever) been compensated through cash or other benefits or promises of deferred compensation for providing his autograph," Batson wrote.

While college athletes are frequently asked to sign autographs in public places, and those autographs often end up for sale on eBay, the amount of Manziel product that flooded the memorabilia market overall following the BCS title game was overwhelming, memorabilia dealers told "Outside the Lines."

While Manziel's father, Paul, had alleged that many of the items were fake, two of the leading autograph authentication companies, PSA/DNA and JSA, have authenticated many of the items. Officials with both companies have told ESPN in recent months that they stand by their guarantee that they believe the signatures, some with inscriptions like "Gig 'Em" and "Heisman '12" are genuine. Online verification databases show a single lot of 999 signed Manziel photos numbered sequentially. JSA authenticated 248 items and 376 items that came in in two batches that also are numbered sequentially. Industry insiders say this indicates the signings were done in large quantities intended for wholesale.

Calls and messages to Paul Manziel were not returned.

Even though Manziel is not allowed to generate income from his signature, the Manziel family has sought to protect Johnny's business affairs by starting a corporation, JMAN2 Enterprises, which in February filed for the trademark to use "Johnny Football" when he was ready to leave the college game.

The value of Manziel is clear in the memorabilia and appearance market: Independent merchandiser Aggieland Outfitters recently auctioned off six helmets signed by Manziel and Texas A&M's other Heisman Trophy winner, John David Crow, for $81,000. Texas A&M's booster organization, the 12th Man Foundation, sold a table for six, where Manziel and Crow will sit at the team's Kickoff Dinner later this month, for $20,000.

The school has committed to renovating Kyle Field, which will push seating capacity to 102,500 by the time it is completed in 2015. Texas A&M officials have said that donors, who make annual contributions of $80,000 to $100,000, have purchased all but two of the 144 suites in the stadium.

In the school's first year in the SEC last season, Manziel led the Aggies to an 11-2 season and a top-five finish for the first time since 1956. He and his teammates are scheduled to report Sunday afternoon for the 2013-14 season. He is scheduled to address the media Monday.

Manziel's offseason has drawn heavy media scrutiny. In the past few months, he has been spotted in the front row at NBA games, hanging out with rappers at bars, and has written various headline-starting tweets, including one in which he said he couldn't wait to leave College Station -- the home of Texas A&M. He also was sent home early from the Manning Passing Academy last month.

Paul Manziel recently told ESPN The Magazine that he doesn't like how the school hasn't protected the family from the NCAA and how he believes that school administrators put their motives above his son's well-being.

"It's starting to get under our skin," he said. "They're so selfish."

Manziel also acknowledged that he was concerned about his son's drinking and how he is dealing with celebrity.

"Yeah, it could all come unraveled," Johnny's father told The Magazine. "And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad."

Justine Gubar is a producer in ESPN's enterprise unit.

I think it's pretty predictable Manziel is on a "crash & burn" course. He's very immature off the field and doesn't seem to really take football all that seriously.

That's what happens to pampered brats with a silver spook lodged in their rectum.

• Upvote 1

Its ridiculous. If he was poor and needed the money I'd understand, but he's loaded. I don't get how he thought that this could be worth it.

I think what's really ridiculous here is that any college athlete can't be paid for their own signature, much like many pro athletes are.

I certainly agree that they shouldn't be paid for playing, because most of them already are (tuition is fucking expensive, so they really are getting paid), but I don't understand why they can't earn a little cash for their autograph. Most college athletes don't have enough time to do their studies and work jobs for 25-40 hours a week, which most people at least need to pay all their other bills, so I don't see why the NCAA wouldn't eventually change this rule.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind getting some cash for a signature... but unless I'm misreading this, he was getting payment for a five-digit flat for signing stuff. That is beyond ridiculous.

The NCAA, as a committee, is a joke. They have these outdated, archaic rules that only certain players have to live by. You think this is the only player that does stuff like this? Nope, but he's the biggest threat to Alabama's latest undefeated title bid. Just ask Cam, Teo, and the Honey Badger what happens to those that stand in the way of Nick Saban's legacy.

• Upvote 1

If you don't actually break the rules, then they can't get you with it.

Right?

The NCAA, as a committee, is a joke. They have these outdated, archaic rules that only certain players have to live by. You think this is the only player that does stuff like this? Nope, but he's the biggest threat to Alabama's latest undefeated title bid. Just askCam, Teo, and the Honey Badger what happens to those that stand in the way of Nick Saban's legacy.

You mean won a championship without getting into NCAA trouble, having no NCAA issues whatsoever with just a personal scandal after the championship game, and getting kicked off the team by LSU's coach?

The NCAA is a huge fucking joke. They're some of the biggest thieves and hypocrites in sports. Like Bware mentioned, I definitely think that college players shouldn't be getting paid just for playing the game, but should they be able to sell their memorabilia and be compensated for their signature? Absolutely. These fucks make a killing profiting off of the players. But you sell/trade a jersey for tattoos or make money off of your signature and you're fucked.

Johnny Football did go full retard this offseason by wearing a Tebow Jets jersey and going to a UT frat party, but this? Nah.

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis

You mean won a championship without getting into NCAA trouble, having no NCAA issues whatsoever with just a personal scandal after the championship game, and getting kicked off the team by LSU's coach?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that it wasn't tried. Everyone who comes in Alabama's direct line of fire seems to have skeletons dug out of their closet. I'm not saying that there is a cut and dry conspiracy here. I'm just pointing out a string of coincidences.

Pretty much every sports writer in national media goes on record saying that this stuff happens all the time—players getting paid, getting improper benefits, etc... You might get one big story per year about this shit, and lately it seems like more often than not it just so happens that it's the star player from 'Bama's biggest hurdle. I'm not saying. I'm just saying. Know what I'm saying?

The NCAA is a huge fucking joke. They're some of the biggest thieves and hypocrites in sports. Like Bware mentioned, I definitely think that college players shouldn't be getting paid just for playing the game, but should they be able to sell their memorabilia and be compensated for their signature? Absolutely. These fucks make a killing profiting off of the players. But you sell/trade a jersey for tattoos or make money off of your signature and you're fucked.

Johnny Football did go full retard this offseason by wearing a Tebow Jets jersey and going to a UT frat party, but this? Nah.

I don't really even have a problem with anything Manziel has done this offseason that I think of off the top of my head. I mean really. How big of a rivalry is Florida vs. A&M? If there were no Johnny Football, and Johnny Doe A&M guy was wearing a Tebow Jets jersey, would anyone other than the people there know anything about it? Probably not.

As far as UT goes, what conference are they in again? Who cares, imo. That would be like If I went to Ohio University and showed up at an Ohio State party. It's not exactly OSU vs. Michigan.

That being said, You're absolutely right about everything involving this situation: Fuck the NCAA as a staff, a record label, and as a mutha fuckin crew. (shot out to Pac.) There is no reason that this should even BE a rule on the books. It's just some old school bullshit that makes no sense in this era.

He's in a position that he needs to carry himself with dignity and respect. If he can't do that, he needs to remove himself from the spotlight.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that it wasn't tried. Everyone who comes in Alabama's direct line of fire seems to have skeletons dug out of their closet. I'm not saying that there is a cut and dry conspiracy here. I'm just pointing out a string of coincidences.

Pretty much every sports writer in national media goes on record saying that this stuff happens all the time—players getting paid, getting improper benefits, etc... You might get one big story per year about this shit, and lately it seems like more often than not it just so happens that it's the star player from 'Bama's biggest hurdle. I'm not saying. I'm just saying. Know what I'm saying?

Who do you think is perpetrating this conspiracy? And especially in the case of Te'o who's scandal didn't happen until after his college career was over.

The NCAA, as a committee, is a joke. They have these outdated, archaic rules that only certain players have to live by. You think this is the only player that does stuff like this? Nope, but he's the biggest threat to Alabama's latest undefeated title bid. Just ask Cam, Teo, and the Honey Badger what happens to those that stand in the way of Nick Saban's legacy.

The NCAA does stink... but let's not go overboard. They busted Southern Methodist for accepting improper benefits too. Even more recent than that, Reggie Bush. Manziel is just next on the chopping block because he feels he is above the rules (which probably explains a lot of his actions lately). The NCAA also punished that Tarheel kid and a few others for selling their bowl jerseys. Oh, and your Buckeyes for their tattoos and stuff.. but that's another story. The kid deserves whatever punishment comes his way if it's proven that he did in fact accept payment.

Now, the worst part to me is that the NCAA Shop had a search engine where you could search "Johnny Manziel" and #2 Texas A&M jerseys would pop up for purchase. When they got busted, they erased the search entirely. I hate that a committee that's doing the same thing has the right to stop others.

As far as UT goes, what conference are they in again? Who cares, imo. That would be like If I went to Ohio University and showed up at an Ohio State party. It's not exactly OSU vs. Michigan.

So if Michigan switched conferences, you'd immediately be cool with all their fans? In your town? Texas and A&M may not have had a rivalry as historical as Michigan and Ohio State but it definitely takes more than just one year for the flames to burn out. I know Arkansas fans that still hate Texas to their core and we left the SWC in 1991. Also remember that they're recruiting the same neighborhoods. Players snubbing their team for one down the road definitely doesn't ease tension.

Edited by rzb

Meanwhile the NCAA was selling jerseys of players on the NCAA website :rofl:. If they can make money off it, thats okay. If not, then it becomes a problem.

The NCAA does stink... but let's not go overboard. They busted Southern Methodist for accepting improper benefits too. Even more recent than that, Reggie Bush. Manziel is just next on the chopping block because he feels he is above the rules (which probably explains a lot of his actions lately). The NCAA also punished that Tarheel kid and a few others for selling their bowl jerseys. Oh, and your Buckeyes for their tattoos and stuff.. but that's another story. The kid deserves whatever punishment comes his way if it's proven that he did in fact accept payment.

Now, the worst part to me is that the NCAA Shop had a search engine where you could search "Johnny Manziel" and #2 Texas A&M jerseys would pop up for purchase. When they got busted, they erased the search entirely. I hate that a committee that's doing the same thing has the right to stop others.

So if Michigan switched conferences, you'd immediately be cool with all their fans? In your town? Texas and A&M may not have had a rivalry as historical as Michigan and Ohio State but it definitely takes more than just one year for the flames to burn out. I know Arkansas fans that still hate Texas to their core and we left the SWC in 1991. Also remember that they're recruiting the same neighborhoods. Players snubbing their team for one down the road definitely doesn't ease tension.

First off, very nice post. I'll respond to your points in order of appearance. I'm not denying that it's a rule that everyone acknowledges or that kids get popped for it all the time. What I'm saying is that it's a dumb-shit rule that should, at this point, be stricken from the book. When the system itself is profiting so egregiously from these kids, it should be the inevitable evolution of things that these kids be able to market themselves. I'm strongly against just cutting the players a check, and you can ask the guy from the next quote down about my feelings as far as that goes. The fact that they can't generate their own revenue from their own talents is a travesty though.

They tear an ACL, and then where are they? Probably out of school in many cases with no other skill set to fall back on. A little rainy day fund could really help a kid in that situation avoid the pitfalls of poverty and pressure stacked end to end.

As for the rivalry thing, I get where you're coming from. However, I wouldn't use OSU/Mich as an example. Maybe more like OSU/Indiana? Yeah, same conference, but no one cares about that game unless Indiana can somehow pull off the shocker of a lifetime. Even then, it's forgotten after the next season's drubbing.

It'd be really interesting to see what Mr. Football could become in the NFL if he got his head outa his booty.

Eh, he's making some poor judgement calls I guess, but I think people are making this stuff out to be sooooo much more than it is. He's not out thugging it up or shooting up hospitals. He's wearing the wrong shirts, drinking at the wrong parties, etc... That's some real girl shit. I mean, seriously. When you break it down the way I just did, and you really look at it in black and white print, doesn't that sound like something that "Becky" would say about "Ashley?" lol

No one even cares that the kid is drinking underage. That's okay. No big deal. It's just that he would have the audacity to do it in THAT place, Wearing WHAT?!?!? OMGZ!!! Then he doesn't apologize for his choice of outerwear? How DARE he! He's must be an arrogant prick.

Just to be clear, this post isn't directed at you or anyone else specifically. It's more geared toward the social outcry over this criminal QB.

Meanwhile the NCAA was selling jerseys of players on the NCAA website :rofl:. If they can make money off it, thats okay. If not, then it becomes a problem.

Exactly. Eggs, fucking, Zackly.

I think the NCAA is moving towards compensating the athletes. I know most people probably have a misconception about how much a school actually earns. I can't remember the figures exactly but it was surprisingly low on average. The toughest part is figuring out how to do it fairly. I think it needs to be equal athlete to athlete and sport to sport. I think making the amount dependent on individual performance would be a mistake. It could cause all kinds of resentment and other Bullshit you don't need in a team environment. It could also give birth to a massive PED problem. Here is how I would do it. I would make it NCAA wide. So all the money the NCAA makes would be pooled and disbursed so you don't have the best talent flocking to the big schools for the bigger pay days. I would give every athlete a flat stipend. The amount of the stipend would be dependent upon the revenue generated by the sport you play. Obviously football players would get larger stipends than tennis players. Your parents should have taught you a man's sport. Athletes would also earn X amount of dollars per year of service to the University which would be paid to the athlete upon leaving college. The amount earned per year would vary depending on the revenue of the NCAA that year. They could set it up to where athletes are fairly compensated but also to where the Universities could profit. The Universities do have to profit. It is a business. Of course this is just the basics and there would be a lot more thought put into it. Percentages and all the other bullshit but this is the only way I could think of doing it. If you go pro you still get paid and if you don't you finish your degree and you get a larger check than the guy who left a year early for a chance at the NFL. I'm sure this idea will get shot to shit but its better than nothing.

Edited by ManBearPig

I could see it, despite my misgivings about paying college athletes. I think if its implemented it'll be flat across all sports regardless of how much that particular sport earns. Otherwise you run into Title 9 issues and what not because there is no women's football team and women's sports don't earn as much for the school in general. That's not necessarily fair to the big earning sports but it is what it is. Also, just so I'm clear, I'm not really a fan of paying any college athletes.

• Upvote 1

I could see it, despite my misgivings about paying college athletes. I think if its implemented it'll be flat across all sports regardless of how much that particular sport earns. Otherwise you run into Title 9 issues and what not because there is no women's football team and women's sports don't earn as much for the school in general. That's not necessarily fair to the big earning sports but it is what it is. Also, just so I'm clear, I'm not really a fan of paying any college athletes.

Women can play football though. If they are talented enough to make the team. There have been a couple kickers. However you are probably right. Lawsuits would be made. Its the American way. The problem is once they start people will begin to want want want more more more. Its a tricky situation. One that has to be extremely well thought out.

Texas A&M beat writer Billy Liucci reports redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel will be suspended for the first half of the season opener against Rice.

We are surprised Manziel is suspended at all, mainly because of statements coming from Texas A&M's staff, namely Chancellor John Sharp. Head coach Kevin Sumlin has refused to comment on Manziel or the NCAA investigation the last few days, but obviously this didn't prevent him from taking action. "Still awaiting final resolution (confirmation from A&M or NCAA) but assuming suspension would involve secondary violation of by-law 12.5.2.2," Liucci added. Freshman Kenny Hill has seen the majority of second team reps in practice and will likely start in Manziel's place.

It's all over. Johnny Football Lives. :smug:

@McMurphyESPN

Manziel 1st half suspension "closes the book" on Manziel/autograph saga. NCAA acknowledges Manziel did not accept money, source said

if the NCAA acknowledged that Manziel didn't accept money then what the hell was he suspended for?

Edited by oochymp

There was some other minor infraction that he wasn't aware of or something. Haven't heard what that was but half a game is a joke. Either suspend him or don't.