Sign in to follow this  
Mentch

East Coast Rap vs West Coast Rap?

9 members have voted

1. 1. What type of rap do you prefer?

• East Coast
    • West Coast

Easily East Coast. I've always been a huge fan of it. It's based around lyricism, MC'ing, and the art of rhyming. This is what you should truly look for in a rap song

What is West Coast rap about? Smoking weed and getting high all day and talking about "how much better the weed is over there". Seriously, there's some good songs, but it gets old as shit

Guest Phailadelphia

I have no preference. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. It really just depends on my mood. I listened to NWA for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon then jammed to Curren$y for a solid 3 hours late last night.

Easily East Coast. I've always been a huge fan of it. It's based around lyricism, MC'ing, and the art of rhyming. This is what you should truly look for in a rap song

What is West Coast rap about? Smoking weed and getting high all day and talking about "how much better the weed is over there". Seriously, there's some good songs, but it gets old as shit

It depends on preferences IMO... If we're talking about classics and old school, I love the east coast, and I agree with you on what the East coast was about. I think they were the best for most of the 90s and earlier by a good margin. But I kinda disagree with generalizing the west coast stuff from that same period as just those things.

But anyway, right now I think i'll take the west coast by a good margin. The east coast has kinda fallen off with a lot of those legends not producing as much.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

Yeah current day West Coast for sure...it's not even close. East used to be better, but the big names there have fallen off majorly. The more I listen to it, the weaker Jay-Z's latest album sounds.

Kendrick Lamar alone makes West Coast worth listening to these days. Schoolboy Q is another one that's gonna be big soon.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the 90s, when the East Coast vs West Coast rivalry was at its height. I don't listen to much of today's music at all, so I can't form an accurate opinion on that, but I agree with whoever said that Jay Z has fallen off. We can all agree that he's fallen off big time since he "retired"

Kendrick Lamar alone makes West Coast worth listening to these days. Schoolboy Q is another one that's gonna be big soon.

I cannot stand Kendrick Lamar. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's his super annoying voice? It makes his songs unbearable to me.

As for me, it's really a toss up between EC/WC. I'm really across the board in what I listen to.

Take what I say with a grain of salt or if that lol I don't listen to much rap except for NWA and Ice Cube and a few others so I went with west coast

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Just to clarify, I was referring to the 90s, when the East Coast vs West Coast rivalry was at its height. I don't listen to much of today's music at all, so I can't form an accurate opinion on that, but I agree with whoever said that Jay Z has fallen off. We can all agree that he's fallen off big time since he "retired"

I don't mean to draw the angry Jay-Z mob, but MCHG was decent at best imo. For a guy who's always been known for his lyrical skills, it was pretty lacking in lyrical content.

I cannot stand Kendrick Lamar. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's his super annoying voice? It makes his songs unbearable to me.

I hated Kendrick Lamar the first time I heard him about 2 years ago. But now I honestly get surprised when people say they don't like Lamar. Not that it's wrong or anything, but every time he's on a new track he completely changes it imo.

• Upvote 2

Can someone draw the divide for me? I don't necessarily know who belongs where.

Nas (I assume East Coast with all his NY references)

Nappy Roots (I suppose East because they're from down South)

Jedi Mind Tricks

Immortal Technique

That's really all I've ever listened to when it comes to hip hop, but I'm not that exposed to it, either.

I have no preference. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. It really just depends on my mood. I listened to NWA for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon then jammed to Curren$y for a solid 3 hours late last night.

Curren$y is a southern rapper

Can someone draw the divide for me? I don't necessarily know who belongs where.

Nas (I assume East Coast with all his NY references)

Nappy Roots (I suppose East because they're from down South)

Jedi Mind Tricks

Immortal Technique

That's really all I've ever listened to when it comes to hip hop, but I'm not that exposed to it, either.

lmfao Nappy Roots is down south music

I don't give a shit about East vs. West. But for old school, probably West coast with 2Pac, Snoop and Dre. My favorite rapper is always going to be Eminem and he is from Detroit so w/e lol.

I don't give a shit about East vs. West. But for old school, probably West coast with 2Pac, Snoop and Dre. My favorite rapper is always going to be Eminem and he is from Detroit so w/e lol.

Too bad Eminem is fkn trash now

Even his more recent stuff (which is nowhere near as good as his old stuff) is better than a lot of the shit thrown at us today. Em is really just making music just to make music these days, but he still releases some good stuff.

Even his more recent stuff (which is nowhere near as good as his old stuff) is better than a lot of the shit thrown at us today. Em is really just making music just to make music these days, but he still releases some good stuff.

Naw man you guys take the mainstream to seriously , right now Em is the C- level guys like Kendrick Lamar , TI , Jeezy and man other have put out better music than him . Hell even Drake

Naw man you guys take the mainstream to seriously , right now Em is the C- level guys like Kendrick Lamar , TI , Jeezy and man other have put out better music than him . Hell even Drake

Eh, I never jumped on the Kendrick bandwagon. He is good, but nowhere near prime Em. Just lol at Drake though. Eminem's latest work isn't great by any means but the standard for good rap music has been dropped so low that no talent retards like Lil Wayne are among the most popular in the world.

Eh, I never jumped on the Kendrick bandwagon. He is good, but nowhere near prime Em. Just lol at Drake though. Eminem's latest work isn't great by any means but the standard for good rap music has been dropped so low that no talent retards like Lil Wayne are among the most popular in the world.

Drake is way better than Eminem right now , I don't even like Drake

East coast & midwest, no question.

I respect both. Dealing with Pac and Biggie. I dont have a choice for either side, its just more of who do i listen to most.

Kendrick Lamar imo is wack. Sorry to say i dont see the hype everyone buys into. Honestly.

I listen to Cyhi more then anything though. I think hes underrated.

Big fan of Schoolboy Q. THey be like there he go.

For those of you that have not heard him, here is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnYiW5dnhQ

Edited by NaTaS

I don't listen to rap AT ALL any longer, but when I was a teenager growing up in the early-mid 1990's, I listened to West Coast rap almost exclusively. It was kind of strange, seeing as I grew up in and around Washington, DC. In my opinion both coasts rapped about the exact same shit, I just liked the way the WC flowed.