Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Ryan Longwell Retires As A Packer

Today, Ted Thompson announced that former Packers kicker — and yes, unfortunate castoff to Minnesota, has come back home to Green Bay.

Ryan Longwell (1997-2005), the leading scorer of the Packers chose to retire with the organization that gave him an opportunity to kick after he was waived by the San Francisco 49ers. Previously, Longwell kicked at the college level for the University of California.

Longwell finished his tenure for the Packers in 2005, before wrapping up a career with the Vikings that saw him later rejoin with friend and former teammate, Brett Favre through 2011.

With the Packers, Longwell smashed numerous records, including Don Hutson’s scoring record as he accumulated 1,054 points behind 226 field goals and 376 extra points. During a stretch from 1997 through 2005, he also led the entire NFL in scoring on the back of a high-octane Packers offense.

The Pack Mentality.

:rock:

I thought he already was retired.

You are such a major buzz kill to anything Packers related... lol

You are such a major buzz kill to anything Packers related... lol

Well it's not like anything I said was unreasonable... I haven't heard shit about him since... 2011. I kinda thought he called it quits already. Didn't know he was still in the league.

It's a normal 1-day contract, bro. Happens all the time for guys who no longer want to wait around seeing if anybody will call.

Happened with Pat Williams this offseason, too.

• Upvote 1

Not very surprising he retired as a Packer. He was probably the best kicker in the NFL during his years with them.

• Upvote 1

It's nice that Longwell decided to retire a Packer. He had a great career with us and I wish him the best in his future endeavors.