Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

What happens if... (Regarding AP and HGH)

Day after day I continue to hear and see Adrian Peterson on my radio and TV making comments on people believing he's on HGH and how he takes it as a compliment. It seems like every week this off season we've heard something to this note from Peterson. I'm a huge Peterson fan, I think he's spectacular and an absolute freak of nature. The more I hear him though I begin to wonder, why is he disputing and discussing this issue if it doesn't have any relevance to him? I'm not saying he's on HGH, I would say that's a far cry at this point. However, what happens if at some point he does fail some sort of drug testing? What happens to his credibility?

Could you guys imagine the media/fan outburst that would take place after Peterson has been going around tooting his own horn all off-season?

Much more, why has Peterson began talking so much as of late? I mean, just a few weeks ago he was telling members of the media that he plans to break Emmitt Smiths all time rushing record in the year of 2017? Is Peterson becoming an absolute blow hard? I suppose I give him no hard time if he is, he certainly deserves the ability to talk about himself being the Vikings. At any rate, is Peterson getting over his head now?

Nothing surprises me with PEP's any more.

I really have no problem with steroid use when it comes to recovering from injuries.

HGH testing, if and when it happens, is going to be epic.

HGH testing, if and when it happens, is going to be epic.

This!

Wouldn't really be surprised at this point if anyone tested out positive for that stuff. Except Calvin Johnson.

But I am a Lions fan so...

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

He might be a freak of nature, but you don't shred your knee like he did and then come back like six months later hurdling school busses like you never missed a beat. Not naturally anyway. I'm not gonna go as far as to flat out say that he's on them, but I will go so far as to say if he's not I would be very surprised.

He probably did take some kind of PED, but it really doesn't bother me. Many sports athletes and most NFL players are using so it's not a big deal IMO, he is still the best RB in the game with or without peds.

He might be a freak of nature, but you don't shred your knee like he did and then come back like six months later hurdling school busses like you never missed a beat. Not naturally anyway. I'm not gonna go as far as to flat out say that he's on them, but I will go so far as to say if he's not I would be very surprised.

Yeah, I'd have to lean towards "he took 'em" if I'm being honest. And like Bucman, I also have a hard time getting fired up about it if I know it was just to get healthy again. I want players to get over injury, get back to their previous level of ability, and get back on the field as fast as possible. But I also don't see how you would allow for that and still crack down on their use otherwise.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't be surprised if 50, 60, 75% of the NFL is currently, or has used PEDs, whether it be in the pros, college, or high school, especially the newer guys. It's the biggest sport in North America, where there is next to no PED testing. It's a growing trend. Shit, I play varsity high school football in Canada and there's at least 5 kids that are/were on my team that have used PEDs/HGH. You're telling me in a higher pressure situation, like AP, where he grew up with a convict father, and had to make it in football, guys wouldn't do it? Please.

The more he talks about it, the more I realize that I have never, not once, heard an accusation that claimed that AP used PEDs, so it baffles me as to why he feels the need to bring it up. Physically, he's stout, in amazing condition, but there's nothing to suggest that he couldn't do it naturally. He doesn't have massive, obviously PED fueled arms like La'Ron Landry. I mean, hell, why talk about it if no one else is talking about it?

idk if I'd want an asterisk next to stats or anything but it would definitely cheapen his 2k rushing yard season and it would cheapen JJ Watt's incredible year too if he tested positive. I wouldn't blame either of them for using them or think they were terrible human beings if most of or at least a good percentage of the league is using them which it probably is, but there's just something wrong about it. idk players have been using steroids forever though but it still casts a shadow.

The more he talks about it, the more I realize that I have never, not once, heard an accusation that claimed that AP used PEDs, so it baffles me as to why he feels the need to bring it up. Physically, he's stout, in amazing condition, but there's nothing to suggest that he couldn't do it naturally. He doesn't have massive, obviously PED fueled arms like La'Ron Landry. I mean, hell, why talk about it if no one else is talking about it?

I forget who, but one of the players interviewed in the NFL Network Top 100 Players said that there was no way he could have done it without PEDs or something along those lines. Then it took off from there.

For some reason, I just don't care. Maybe its the nature of football as opposed to baseball being nearly completely reliant on your team mates and also stats not telling nearly as much of the story as they do in baseball, but I don't think so. I really don't care that much for baseball players either, tbh.

They need a system where either everyone is doing them, or everyone is not doing them. I am sure many cheat, I am sure many dont. Problem is the people who don't and follow the rules are the ones getting cut and the cheaers are prospering at least in the short term.

It should be mandatory to be tested all year. EVery player every week. Put everyone on an equal playing field

They need a system where either everyone is doing them, or everyone is not doing them. I am sure many cheat, I am sure many dont. Problem is the people who don't and follow the rules are the ones getting cut and the cheaers are prospering at least in the short term.

It should be mandatory to be tested all year. EVery player every week. Put everyone on an equal playing field

To be fair, taking hgh doesn't give you the 'talent' to be a good football player. It helps in enhancing your body and ability to perform at certain levels, but if you lack the talent aspect hgh won't help you much.

I guess if you have two players with talent, one using and one not, then that might give the user an edge, but ultimately someone not using could still out play and be better than someone that is using.

I agree that there should be testing, and level playing field (like you say, everyone uses or everyone doesn't). But my point is that hgh and performance enhancing drugs don't make a good footballer, nor does it keep them on a roster; what makes them a good footballer, and what keeps them on a roster is having the talent and ability to do their job on the field. Sure hgh might help, but without talent you're screwed.

As for those cut, they might use or they might not - either way it doesn't matter because they aren't good enough to earn a spot.

It's gotten to the point where I've almost ruled it out of the realm of possibilities that AP has taken some form of PED (at least knowingly).

I tend to be naive to a point of stupidity so this is probably no different, but there's no way anyone would take it, and then put himself out there like that.

Just wanted to point out currently without often and long term (2x a day, for years, ideally immediately before puberty and then their entire careers) testing, it is impossible to test for HGH. Esspecially within the upper tiers of the mesomorph athlete community where escalated chemical and protein levels are commonplace.

Hypothetically some sort of implant could be devised all would-be athletes are encouraged to get... before puberty.

Or we could all acknowledge we live in an age where this testing is impossible and athletes are at the very least incentivised via fame and fortune to tip the scales.

As for AP? Nah, never.

Edit - forgot about round the clock surveilance by incorruptables. That is also an option.

Edited by the Lions fan

Yeah, I'd have to lean towards "he took 'em" if I'm being honest. And like Bucman, I also have a hard time getting fired up about it if I know it was just to get healthy again. I want players to get over injury, get back to their previous level of ability, and get back on the field as fast as possible. But I also don't see how you would allow for that and still crack down on their use otherwise.

Exactly. You can't say it's okay for one guy for one reason, and then turn around and ban it for everything else. It's either ok or it isn't. Even if it is just to get back from injury, the hangover from it is pretty beneficial. It has a pretty big ripple effect too.

Injuries suck, but they happen. It's a part of the game, and without them we might have missed out on some of the best football players to ever do it. The name Steve Young comes to mind. What if Joe Montana had been allowed to HGH it up and never miss any time due to his injury, Young might not have gotten his shot until his prime was over. He would have never won a Super Bowl ring, and he would have never made the Hall of Fame.

Had Peyton Manning been taking HGH, Andrew Luck might never have become a Colt. While unfortunate, injuries to stars give talented backups a head start on their careers. There are many more examples, but Steve Young just jumped out at me.

Bottom line, imo, is that you keep the playing field level for everyone. Either everyone gets to use it, or no one does. I vote for no one, since we don't want our kids using this shit. I'm pretty sure there aren't too many people out there that would disagree with me on that, and if it was okay on a professional level, no one would be able to stop college athletes, high school athletes, and all the way down to the middle school level athletes from using them. It's a very slippery slope, and I'm of the mind set that just because it's such a wide-spread problem doesn't mean that it isn't a very, VERY serious problem.

Just wanted to point out currently without often and long term (2x a day, for years, ideally immediately before puberty and then their entire careers) testing, it is impossible to test for HGH. Esspecially within the upper tiers of the mesomorph athlete community where escalated chemical and protein levels are commonplace.

Hypothetically some sort of implant could be devised all would-be athletes are encouraged to get... before puberty.

Or we could all acknowledge we live in an age where this testing is impossible and athletes are at the very least incentivised via fame and fortune to tip the scales.

As for AP? Nah, never.

Edit - forgot about round the clock surveilance by incorruptables. That is also an option.

Smart Lions fans are smart. :cool: