Vin

Ravens @ Broncos

How many sacks do we need to get before our pass rush isn't a concern?

Did you watch the first half?

I should clarify- that was a really impressive display. The defense was solid without Von and the offense was a juggernaut as was expected. I'm merely alluding to the clean pocket that Flacco had when the game was still in contention. I understand that Phillips and Co had field days when it was pin your ears back time against Rick Wagner, but what about when the game is still close? I think that's when they'll miss Von and maybe Dumervil. But as I said, it didn't really matter. The Ravens had a crazy number of drops, kept handing the ball back to Peyton with good field position, and Manning did what he does.

Edited by KempBolt

The Browns are going to crush the Ravens, it's going to be a long year for the champs.

Nah. Our defense needs time to gel. We'll be just fine. This was almost expected on the road, in the season opener, in Denver, first game of the season, etc. Despite the excuses there was a huge difference between the first and second halves. We can get it figured out.

The bigger concern is the lack of a real receiver after Smith, especially if Jacoby is out for a significant period of time. We'll rebound. We always do after a bad loss like that. I feel bad for the Browns because we're going to take out all our anger on them.

Did you watch the first half?

I should clarify- that was a really impressive display. The defense was solid without Von and the offense was a juggernaut as was expected. I'm merely alluding to the clean pocket that Flacco had when the game was still in contention. I understand that Phillips and Co had field days when it was pin your ears back time against Rick Wagner, but what about when the game is still close? I think that's when they'll miss Von and maybe Dumervil. But as I said, it didn't really matter. The Ravens had a crazy number of drops, kept handing the ball back to Peyton with good field position, and Manning did what he does.

It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Ayers did get a sack, our DTs were pushing the pocket into Flacco. We may not have got a lot of sacks early on but there was definitely some pressure getting to Flacco.

It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Ayers did get a sack, our DTs were pushing the pocket into Flacco. We may not have got a lot of sacks early on but there was definitely some pressure getting to Flacco.

No one is "making it out to be"- It was as bad as I saw it to be watching it myself. Ayers had a coverage sack after McKinnie beat him soundly and Flacco drifted out of a clean pocket. I know you're smart enough not to hang your hat on that. The pressure got to Flacco in the 2nd half when the receivers failed to separate, it was obvious passing situations on every snap, and Rick Wagner came in for Michael Oher. Good on them. But when the game was even, the running game was still a reasonable expectation, and Jones was in the game, Flacco had a clean pocket to throw from. Even the announcers noticed and commented. The Ravens, OTOH, were getting to Manning early with a more impressive pass rush. It was plain to see.

It's alright, you can admit that much. It's not as though Denver wasn't the markedly better team overall. This is why it's hard for me to compliment the Broncos.

No one is "making it out to be"- It was as bad as I saw it to be watching it myself. Ayers had a coverage sack after McKinnie beat him soundly and Flacco drifted out of a clean pocket. I know you're smart enough not to hang your hat on that. The pressure got to Flacco in the 2nd half when the receivers failed to separate, it was obvious passing situations on every snap, and Rick Wagner came in for Michael Oher. Good on them. But when the game was even, the running game was still a reasonable expectation, and Jones was in the game, Flacco had a clean pocket to throw from. Even the announcers noticed and commented. The Ravens, OTOH, were getting to Manning early with a more impressive pass rush. It was plain to see.

It's alright, you can admit that much. It's not as though Denver wasn't the markedly better team overall. This is why it's hard for me to compliment the Broncos.

Lol the announcers were cracking me up all night, almost every time they said we weren't getting pressure on Flacco we had just hit him earlier in that same drive. On Flacco's first INT Shaun Phillips hit Flacco. On Torrey Smith's first catch Ayers hit Flacco after he beat Oher with a bull rush. We got a good 4 or 5 shots on Flacco before Oher went out. On the coverage sack, Flacco started to roll out because the interior of his o-line was pushed back, he didn't have enough room to step up and take a shot like he wanted to so he had to roll out or the DTs were going to get him. He probably would have had more time if he just stayed in the pocket though. Overall it isn't like we were playing a bad offensive line, this was a very good offensive line and we were a pretty good job before Oher went out, particularly on the interior. We lack a true speed rush right now, but our guys can make QBs uneasy.

Edited by SolomonGrundy

Lol the announcers were cracking me up all night, almost every time they said we weren't getting pressure on Flacco we had just hit him earlier in that same drive. On Flacco's first INT Shaun Phillips hit Flacco. On Torrey Smith's first catch Ayers hit Flacco after he beat Oher with a bull rush. We got a good 4 or 5 shots on Flacco before Oher went out. On the coverage sack, Flacco started to roll out because the interior of his o-line was pushed back, he didn't have enough room to step up and take a shot like he wanted to so he had to roll out or the DTs were going to get him. He probably would have had more time if he just stayed in the pocket though. Overall it isn't like we were playing a bad offensive line, this was a very good offensive line and we were a pretty good job before Oher went out, particularly on the interior. We lack a true speed rush right now, but our guys can make QBs uneasy.

Yeah this is a load of bullshit and anyone who watched the first half knows it. Flacco had time in with a clean pocket in the first two quarters. I swear, some of you Broncos fans think you have to prove Denver is perfect is every single facet in order to claim that you have a good team. This is why I can't take you or Crash seriously- no perspective.

I'm gonna start by saying I hate the media. The talking heads piss me off so much I generally mute the game.

Errors: Both sides had massive brain farts that cost the team dearly.

Welker muffing his punt and attempting to catch it on the 5. Trevathan dropping a ball before taking his pick 6 to the house. Decker dropping an easy TD.

On balts side you got the Friendly fire incident with Jones, Clarks dropped TD, Flaccos 2 picks, the non challenge on the Welker catch.

The media likes to act like Denver was the only beneficiary of good fortune during the game. ESPN's article this morning said that balt died of a self inflicted wound. Not even close to correct. It was a slugging match the first half. The game was shaping up to be a coin flip finish.

Balt ran out of gas in the 2nd half.. They don't have the playmakers on O that Denver does. Thats not being a homer, thats the truth. The O could not sustain a drive to give the D a break. The D got abused and they never got a break. They have a very talented front 7 but even the best need a break. Losing Oher was a bigger loss than Jones. The new RT was abused most of the rest of the night. Balt failed to keep it close enough to utilize rice. Combined I think Pierce and Rice had like 70 yards on the ground. Thats very weak.

Denver played well but people need to calm down. We are still making far too many mental errors (as stated above in my errors section). Phillips looked good yes, but he was abusing the 2nd string RT. He needs to get that kind of rush against starters. Our secondary played lights out for the most part. Our D line was stout and got a lot of push. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Denvers D did overall against the baltimore offense (specifically the run game).

On Offense, Denver looked very good. Very good. The run game was better than advertised against a solid balt front. The WR/TE outside of decker all looked very good. Manning was manning.

I don't expect us to score 7 TDs a weak, but to say we will score 30 pts a week is not a stretch, we are stacked with weapons.

I'm gonna start by saying I hate the media. The talking heads piss me off so much I generally mute the game.

Errors: Both sides had massive brain farts that cost the team dearly.

Welker muffing his punt and attempting to catch it on the 5. Trevathan dropping a ball before taking his pick 6 to the house. Decker dropping an easy TD.

On balts side you got the Friendly fire incident with Jones, Clarks dropped TD, Flaccos 2 picks, the non challenge on the Welker catch.

The media likes to act like Denver was the only beneficiary of good fortune during the game. ESPN's article this morning said that balt died of a self inflicted wound. Not even close to correct. It was a slugging match the first half. The game was shaping up to be a coin flip finish.

Balt ran out of gas in the 2nd half.. They don't have the playmakers on O that Denver does. Thats not being a homer, thats the truth. The O could not sustain a drive to give the D a break. The D got abused and they never got a break. They have a very talented front 7 but even the best need a break. Losing Oher was a bigger loss than Jones. The new RT was abused most of the rest of the night. Balt failed to keep it close enough to utilize rice. Combined I think Pierce and Rice had like 70 yards on the ground. Thats very weak.

Denver played well but people need to calm down. We are still making far too many mental errors (as stated above in my errors section). Phillips looked good yes, but he was abusing the 2nd string RT. He needs to get that kind of rush against starters. Our secondary played lights out for the most part. Our D line was stout and got a lot of push. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Denvers D did overall against the baltimore offense (specifically the run game).

On Offense, Denver looked very good. Very good. The run game was better than advertised against a solid balt front. The WR/TE outside of decker all looked very good. Manning was manning.

I don't expect us to score 7 TDs a weak, but to say we will score 30 pts a week is not a stretch, we are stacked with weapons.

I both agree and disagree. There were definitely some "gift" plays on both sides, but Baltimore also very much died of self-inflicted wounds. That's not to say that they would have or should have won otherwise, but the major turning point in the game was the non-challenge, and the minor turning points to follow were all of the mistakes by Baltimore pass catchers (drops, giving up on routes, not being able to hold on).

I'm not making one of those arguments that Baltimore "lost" as opposed to Denver "winning." Like you said, Denver had the playmakers on offense and Baltimore didn't, making the Broncos a better team and ultimately the winner. But I certainly believe that a good chunk of the reason why the Ravens lost (and probably the ultimate reason why they lost in such convincing fashion) was because of self-inflicted wounds. Because when they weren't screwing up so bad on offense and could actually sustain drives, it was clearly an even contest.

Yeah this is a load of bullshit and anyone who watched the first half knows it. Flacco had time in with a clean pocket in the first two quarters. I swear, some of you Broncos fans think you have to prove Denver is perfect is every single facet in order to claim that you have a good team. This is why I can't take you or Crash seriously- no perspective.

None of it was bullshit, you just don't want to give us credit. It's cool I'd probably be that way if I was a Chargers fan too lol

Yes he was getting a clean pocket quite a bit early, but we got at least one hit on him every drive before Oher went out. No one is saying our pass rush was perfect, but you're making it out like it was garbage, when it wasn't nearly that bad. Idk if you know this or not but teams generally don't get as much pressure in the 1st quarter as they do later in the game anyway. The fact of the matter is our defense made a lot of plays in the backfield. We had 10 TFL, 4 sacks, and 8 QB hits total in the game against a very solid o-line.

The game was a no contest imo. It very easily could've been 60-20 or worse. If Danny Trev scores that TD, that's a 14 point swing. Woodyard doesn't get hurt, then the Ravens don't get to pick on Paris Lennon (yeah, who?) the whole next drive to score. As good as Denver was though, Baltimore was worse. I seriously doubt their ability to play from behind.

@Solomon, the pass rush was bad man. It's easy to look good rushing the passer when you're up by 3 scores. The first half Flacco had no trouble getting the ball out. After they got a little gassed, and were forced to let 5 second plays develop, they didn't stand a chance. Shaun Phillips did impress me though after I bagged on him in the beginning of the game.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

This game was a complete disaster for the Ravens. Their secondary looked completely lost. However, they have some new players in their secondary so it will definitely take some time for them to gel. Also, their first test was against Peyton Manning so that doesn't help. The Ravens offense was definitely underwhelming. They had some injuries with Jacoby Jones and Michael Oher, but their depth is definitely a concern. They are very thin at the receiving positions. Flacco didn't look particularly well at times either but his receivers did have some drops. The special teams was also a disaster and had some costly turnovers. The Ravens defense somewhat reminded me of our secondary last year but worse because we never allowed 7 passing TDs. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back. They definitely have to gel on defense and they need receivers to step up on offense and clean up their special teams.

Edited by dutchff7

None of it was bullshit, you just don't want to give us credit. It's cool I'd probably be that way if I was a Chargers fan too lol

Yes he was getting a clean pocket quite a bit early, but we got at least one hit on him every drive before Oher went out. No one is saying our pass rush was perfect, but you're making it out like it was garbage, when it wasn't nearly that bad. Idk if you know this or not but teams generally don't get as much pressure in the 1st quarter as they do later in the game anyway. The fact of the matter is our defense made a lot of plays in the backfield. We had 10 TFL, 4 sacks, and 8 QB hits total in the game against a very solid o-line.

I don't want to give credit or you don't want to admit a shortcoming? I think it's telling that I've said that the Broncos were clearly the better team, are one of the best teams in the league, are going to make the playoffs despite losing their best player for 6 games, and all of this as a guy who hates Denver because of a division rivalry, and yet you think I don't want to give credit. What a joke. Listen to your Bronco fan compatriots who actually have a clue. We all saw the game and the time Flacco had until things got out of hand. If you want to celebrate coverage sacks and party with Crash over the awesome 4+ second pass rush, go right ahead. Just know what it is you're talking about.

Edited by KempBolt

I don't want to give credit or you don't want to admit a shortcoming? I think it's telling that I've said that the Broncos were clearly the better team, are one of the best teams in the league, are going to make the playoffs despite losing their best player for 6 games, and all of this as a guy who hates Denver because of a division rivalry, and yet you think I don't want to give credit. What a joke. Listen to your Bronco fan compatriots who actually have a clue. We all saw the game and the time Flacco had until things got out of hand. If you want to celebrate coverage sacks and party with Crash over the awesome 4+ second pass rush, go right ahead. Just know what it is you're talking about.

lololololol I never even called our pass rush good, all I said was that it was better than you were making it out to be. You said it was a concern, our pass rush is in no way a concern. That was by far the best offensive line we'll see in Von's suspension and our pass rush was good enough to not cost us the game so how is it a concern? And it isn't like these guys are topped out, a lot of these young players will likely improve as the season goes on. Even if they don't our secondary is good enough to carry our pass rush and get quite a few coverage sacks a game but I bet you think that statement is outrageous too.

lololololol I never even called our pass rush good, all I said was that it was better than you were making it out to be. You said it was a concern, our pass rush is in no way a concern. That was by far the best offensive line we'll see in Von's suspension and our pass rush was good enough to not cost us the game so how is it a concern? And it isn't like these guys are topped out, a lot of these young players will likely improve as the season goes on. Even if they don't our secondary is good enough to carry our pass rush and get quite a few coverage sacks a game but I bet you think that statement is outrageous too.

So you never said they were good even though you said they did a "pretty good job?"

I think we're done.

So you never said they were good even though you said they did a "pretty good job?"

I think we're done.

There is a set standard for what a good pass rush is in the NFL. As a group our d-line comes no where near that, I understand that our top 4 d-linemen will not be a good pass rush. They were better than I anticipated last night so they did a pretty good job. You claimed it was a concern, the only things that concern me are the things that can cost us games and our pass rush wasn't going to cost us this one nor do I think it'll cost us any of the next 5 games. The pass rush was the least of our problems last night. 8 penalties is too much, I think we had 5 dropped passes and that's way too many, Beadles letting Manning get wrecked, these are things that concern me.

Denver's offense is no joke..but the Ravens looked horrible everywhere all game. It'll be interesting to see how they do next week. As for Denver..if they can keep this kind of offense up all year..it'll take less pressure off an unproven secondary and will make Von Miller a happy man

Considering no one else has even played a single game yet, that's a pretty silly statement to make.