Vin

Texans @ Chargers

Fair result IMO. Scoreline at halftime was deceiving as I thought the game was close and the Texans were playing well. People are going to say Rivers choked but it really comes down to him having no help when it counts. Our run game was shocking, receivers dropped passes and didn't get open. At the end of the day, I can confidently say that w/o Rivers we wouldn't have been in that game. And IMO, his pick six wasn't helped by the terrible play call which left him completely exposed on an obvious blitzing down. Great play by Cushing too.

Lastly, its a tough call to swallow on the field goal but from the explanation it seemed like the right call by rule. Thomas went right over the center from what I saw.

Same old choking Chargers. What a joke.

Bull. We played well and were better than Houston for most of that game. The joke was giving the Texans another shot at a TD when we didn't break the rule that drew the flag. But that's fine- most people are going to talk shit regardless. We were supposed to lose by double digits and we get jobbed by a bad call and lose by 3 and we choked... yeah.

I'd love to hear the reaction if Denver lost a game by 3 when a bad call gifted the other team 4. Guessing it would be more about the officiating than choking.

You were up by 21 points at one point, it was more than just one bad call.

• Upvote 2

I really have nothing to add to this thread. (Because I am stupid drunk) I started drowning my sorrows at halftime, and then all of a sudden the Texans won. My hat is off to the Chargers. They put up an amazing fight, and honestly should have came out as the victors tonight.

All I can say is Chargers fans don't be blue. If this game is any indication of what the season brings for San Diego, then you'll have a very solid team. That young defense has soo much potential, and they're just missing a few playmakers on offense from being legit playoff contenders. The only drawback is that Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates aren't getting any younger.

Chargers fans may or may not like to hear this, but they're at least a legit 9-7 team this year with the arrow pointing upward.

Same old choking Chargers. What a joke.

Bull. We played well and were better than Houston for most of that game. The joke was giving the Texans another shot at a TD when we didn't break the rule that drew the flag. But that's fine- most people are going to talk shit regardless. We were supposed to lose by double digits and we get jobbed by a bad call and lose by 3 and we choked... yeah.

I'd love to hear the reaction if Denver lost a game by 3 when a bad call gifted the other team 4. Guessing it would be more about the officiating than choking.

You were up by 21 points at one point, it was more than just one bad call.

Of course it was. But the Texans are better than us. We all know that. For us to pull out a win, we needed to play really well and couldn't afford for them to get any extra help. Well, they got a little extra help. It happens. And they took advantage, so kudos to them. But otherwise, we played well enough to win that game.

As impressed as I was by the Chargers last night, I think it's time that we just concede that Houston is monumentally overrated. That team isn't winning a Super Bowl.

• Downvote 3

Oh yes. Let's say, in week 1, that that team isn't wining the SB. Are the Patriots also not winning it based on their week 1 performance?

• Upvote 1

Oh yes. Let's say, in week 1, that that team isn't wining the SB. Are the Patriots also not winning it based on their week 1 performance?

I knew they weren't winning a Super Bowl before last night. I don't believe in Matt Schaub, and I don't believe in their defense in the long run.

I knew they weren't winning a Super Bowl before last night. I don't believe in Matt Schaub, and I don't believe in their defense in the long run.

Schaub played out of his mind last night. Scrambled away from pressure and made plays down the field pretty consistently. If Joe Flacco can win a Super Bowl, so can Matt Schaub.

Schaub played out of his mind last night. Scrambled away from pressure and made plays down the field pretty consistently. If Joe Flacco can win a Super Bowl, so can Matt Schaub.

Joe Flacco's a better quarterback with much worse weapons. I'm not sure if that's an accurate comparison.

I don't believe in Matt Schaub in the playoffs. I don't believe in Houston's defense against the elite QBs of the NFL. I don't believe in Kubiak as the kind of leader necessary from the coaching position.

Joe Flacco's a better quarterback with much worse weapons. I'm not sure if that's an accurate comparison.

I don't believe in Matt Schaub in the playoffs. I don't believe in Houston's defense against the elite QBs of the NFL. I don't believe in Kubiak as the kind of leader necessary from the coaching position.

I agree about the weapons, but what really separates the two otherwise?

The clutch gene. The eye test. Flacco's cannon arm. Schaub isn't wielding a droopy Ponder, by any means, but he don't have Flacco's arm.

The clutch gene. The eye test. Flacco's cannon arm. Schaub isn't wielding a droopy Ponder, by any means, but he don't have Flacco's arm.

The "clutch gene" is another way of saying Flacco got hot at the right time. Schaub could do the same thing. And Flacco definitely has more arm strength, but I'd say Schaub is more accurate.

Well goody... looks like the refs really did cost us the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/nfl-says-penalty-on-chargers-for-hitting-texans-snapper-was-wrong/

Getty Images

The Texans come-from-behind victory over the Chargers on Monday night was aided by a bad call.

NFL V.P. of Officiating Dean Blandino admitted on NFL Network that Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas, who was called for an illegal hit on Texans long snapper Jon Weeks, should not have been penalized. The wrongly thrown flag took a Texans field goal off the board and set the Texans up for a touchdown on the next play, meaning it essentially gave the Texans an extra four points in a game they won 31-28.

This was not a correct call, Blandino said. This is not the intent of the rule as it was written. The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or an extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown, forehead, hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play.

Blandino said that when the umpire looked at the play in real time he thought Thomas had roughed Weeks, but when the league office looked at multiple replay angles, they thought the contact was incidental.

Its a judgment call by the umpire, hes looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul, Blandino said. And in our review today, we felt that it was not.

That review came too late for the Chargers.

Edited by KempBolt

The "clutch gene" is another way of saying Flacco got hot at the right time. Schaub could do the same thing. And Flacco definitely has more arm strength, but I'd say Schaub is more accurate.

Well goody... looks like the refs really did cost us the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/nfl-says-penalty-on-chargers-for-hitting-texans-snapper-was-wrong/

Getty Images

The Texans come-from-behind victory over the Chargers on Monday night was aided by a bad call.

NFL V.P. of Officiating Dean Blandino admitted on NFL Network that Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas, who was called for an illegal hit on Texans long snapper Jon Weeks, should not have been penalized. The wrongly thrown flag took a Texans field goal off the board and set the Texans up for a touchdown on the next play, meaning it essentially gave the Texans an extra four points in a game they won 31-28.

This was not a correct call, Blandino said. This is not the intent of the rule as it was written. The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or an extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown, forehead, hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play.

Blandino said that when the umpire looked at the play in real time he thought Thomas had roughed Weeks, but when the league office looked at multiple replay angles, they thought the contact was incidental.

Its a judgment call by the umpire, hes looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul, Blandino said. And in our review today, we felt that it was not.

That review came too late for the Chargers.

Flacco's been clutch in the playoffs and big game situations for 2-3 years, now. It's established itself as one of his big game traits. Doesn't mean that he's going to win every time.

I'm just saying- skill wise, he's right there with Flacco and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hot one of these years and they go on a little run.

Maybe, but that also depends on Foster's continuity, and he already has injury troubles, and Johnson's already aging.

The Chargers blew something like 5 halftime leads last season, it's looking like more of the same here. They had a fair chance to win last monday and they completely blew it. At one point in the game the Chargers had a 97% chance of winning the game. I dunno, I think I'm justified in saying same old chargers even if I am just ribbing you.

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013090901

The Chargers blew something like 5 halftime leads last season, it's looking like more of the same here. They had a fair chance to win last monday and they completely blew it. At one point in the game the Chargers had a 97% chance of winning the game. I dunno, I think I'm justified in saying same old chargers even if I am just ribbing you.

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013090901

I would accept the assessment if we had fairly lost the game. We didn't. We lost by 3 in a game that, by the NFL's own admission, the Texans were gifted 4 points. So while we played much worse in the 2nd (and the Texans played much better), we still did enough to beat a team with significantly more talent than us. The Chargers blew a good portion of their lead, but the refs blew the portion of it that amounted to the difference between a win and a loss. If that call doesn't happen, we're probably talking about a Chargers team that upset one of the best squads in the AFC.

There's no difference between this game and the Fail Mary contest last season. Except that when that happened, everyone just talked about how the Packers got robbed whereas in this case they're just talking about how we choked. I think that's BS and I don't mind saying so.

Maybe, but that also depends on Foster's continuity, and he already has injury troubles, and Johnson's already aging.

Ben Tate is better anyways.

The Packers never had a 21-point lead in the Fail Mary game. They got wrecked by Seattle's defense all game long, and were in fact aided by a very questionable DPI call on their go-ahead TD drive. That game was an extremely close game with a couple bad calls either way.

This game, the Chargers had a 21-point lead and then Rivers just stopped being able to do anything. Threw an INT and then threw the ball into the dirt on a 3rd down conversion they had to have. The Chargers lost because of more than the call. Even if it goes the other way, the Texans offense would simply have had to score a TD instead of sitting on it and hitting the FG. Which, yes, is a big difference. But you can't let a team come back when you have them by 3 TDs. The game never should have been close.

• Upvote 1

Ben Tate is not even close to better than Arian Foster lol

• Downvote 1

Ben Tate is not even close to better than Arian Foster lol

It's my opinion that, at this point, he is lol.

Nice job making your point though.

The Packers never had a 21-point lead in the Fail Mary game. They got wrecked by Seattle's defense all game long, and were in fact aided by a very questionable DPI call on their go-ahead TD drive. That game was an extremely close game with a couple bad calls either way.

This game, the Chargers had a 21-point lead and then Rivers just stopped being able to do anything. Threw an INT and then threw the ball into the dirt on a 3rd down conversion they had to have. The Chargers lost because of more than the call. Even if it goes the other way, the Texans offense would simply have had to score a TD instead of sitting on it and hitting the FG. Which, yes, is a big difference. But you can't let a team come back when you have them by 3 TDs. The game never should have been close.

Yes, there were other reasons. But even with all those self-inflicted problems we would likely have won if not for the bad call. Like I keep saying- the Texans are a better team than we are so we couldn't afford for them to get any help. They got help. We lost. The better the team you're playing, the less margin you have for this kind of stuff. If people want to just laugh because we "choked," then whatever. Cool. But I guarantee if it was your team that lost a close one that was ultimately decided by a bad call you'd be pissed too. When your team executes well enough to beat a more talented squad and you get jobbed by the refs, it's frustrating.

Seems like people have decided that the Chargers suck and nothing is going to change their mind. Basically every prediction for this game was a loss by 10 or more points. So when they lose by 3 in a game where the refs spotted the Texans 4, they're the same old Chargers and they just "choked." Basically it was a foregone conclusion that we would stink and the Texans would win. And since the result is what people expected, they don't care to look into how it happened or consider the circumstances. As if 4 unearned points in a 3 point contest makes no difference.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Downvote 1

It's not an opinion if it's wrong. Arian Foster is unquestionably the better of the two. More physical ability. More production. He's better in every aspect except power, and that's an overrated trait to begin with.

I could sit here and say that the sun isn't a star, and that it's my opinion, but as I would be wrong, it isn't an opinion. Just something I don't seem to understand.

• Downvote 1

It's not an opinion if it's wrong. Arian Foster is unquestionably the better of the two. More physical ability. More production. He's better in every aspect except power, and that's an overrated trait to begin with.

I could sit here and say that the sun isn't a star, and that it's my opinion, but as I would be wrong, it isn't an opinion. Just something I don't seem to understand.

It is indeed an opinion, but it's just hard to realize that someone else has a differing opinion if you're this completely arrogant. Kind of like how it's my opinion that you're too lazy to actually watch the players play and just want to "lol" at me for not agreeing with the status quo on Foster/Tate.

Foster is wearing down. It became increasingly apparent down the stretch last season and it looked the same exact way against the Chargers in week one. At this point in their careers, Tate is quicker in his cuts, faster down the field, and more elusive/powerful when being tackled. That is an observable reality- unlike your ridiculous analogy. There's also the fact that during the one season where Tate was actually given significant touches, he averaged a yard more per carry than Foster.

Now maybe the recent trend will reverse this season and Foster will look more like the 2010 version of himself, but I doubt it. He's coming off a 391 touch season, and 1,115 touches over the past 3 seasons combined. His YPC has gone from 4.9 to 4.4 to 4.1 from 2010-2012. Starting to see a trend? Or are you too busy thinking up quips about the sun and stars?

There's no difference between this game and the Fail Mary contest last season. Except that when that happened, everyone just talked about how the Packers got robbed whereas in this case they're just talking about how we choked. I think that's BS and I don't mind saying so.

except that the bad call in this game came at the beginning of the fourth quarter, meaning the Chargers had plenty of time to make the bad call irrelevant, the Fail Mary last year was literally the last play of the game, it's also worth pointing out that even after the bad call the Chargers still had a seven point lead

• Upvote 2

except that the bad call in this game came at the beginning of the fourth quarter, meaning the Chargers had plenty of time to make the bad call irrelevant, the Fail Mary last year was literally the last play of the game, it's also worth pointing out that even after the bad call the Chargers still had a seven point lead

They're the same in that in both instances, one of the teams received enough points to secure the win due to a failure on the official's part.

Are you saying that if the Titans had lost to the Steelers under the same circumstances, you'd be all good with it?

Edited by KempBolt

They're the same in that in both instances, one of the teams received enough points to secure the win due to a failure on the official's part.

Are you saying that if the Titans had lost to the Steelers under the same circumstances, you'd be all good with it?

No, what he's saying is that the Packers didn't have a chance to alter their fate because time expired as to where the Chargers had an entire quarter to change the outcome of the game. Not to mention that the Texans didn't even take the lead with that score. Timing, when the calls occurred is the big difference here.