BLUE

Reports: Bruno Mars to perform at Super Bowl XLVIII

Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 7, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT

According to multiple published reports, we now know who will be playing the Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show.

The Los Angeles Times and the Associated Press both report that Bruno Mars will perform in between halves during the NFL’s title game, which is slated for Sunday, February 2, 2014 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. The Times first reported Mars’ placement on the halftime bill.

Mars’ latest album, “Unorthodox Jukebox,” is currently No. 9 on the Billboard charts. He’s had four No. 1 singles as a solo artist, per Billboard: “When I Was Your Man,” “Just The Way You Are,” “Locked Out of Heaven,” and “Grenade.” He was also featured on B.o.B’s “Nothin’ On You,” which went to No. 1 in 2010.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

I was dragged by my girlfriend to see Bruno Mars play at the Houston Rodeo, and I was not excited at all to say the least. Honestly guys he put on a pretty good show and I'd go see him in concert again. I hated him at first, but his music has really been growing on me.

Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, but I really like the song "Treasure."

Okay and with all of that said, I'm ready for the onslaught of negs. :laugh:

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 1

I had to Google him, lol.

He sounds like a poor man's version of Michael Jackson. Not terrible, but I'll probably skip the halftime show again.

I think my favorite most recent halftime show was Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. :yep:

Man wtf. Tom Petty was awesome and he didn't have to rely on his tits/ass or gimmicks. Maybe some day they will feature real music again. I can't imagine very many men who watch the NFL religiously are fans of Bruno Mars.

Nothing says football like Bruno Mars.

They could do worse. N'Sync performing together again and the Backstreet Boys returning could have been an option. Or any of the Disney bring-ups or Taylor Swift. Bruno Mars may not be the best choice but he definitely isn't the worst.

Plus, it isn't like we watch the Super Bowl for the halftime show.

Edited by rzb
  • Upvote 1

I like a few of his songs, but I don't really watch the halftime show anyways.

They could do worse. N'Sync performing together again and the Backstreet Boys returning could have been an option. Or any of the Disney bring-ups or Taylor Swift. Bruno Mars may not be the best choice but he definitely isn't the worst.

Ya, Backstreet has actually been gaining some momentum too.. I really thought there was a chance that this announcement was going to be them. Lol

Not a fan of Bruno Mars, but I will watch it. Everyone I've talked to about it so far says he is awesome live and RZB has confirmed that as well. He just better avoid the lazy song... I despise that so much.

Ya, Backstreet has actually been gaining some momentum too.. I really thought there was a chance that this announcement was going to be them. Lol

Not a fan of Bruno Mars, but I will watch it. Everyone I've talked to about it so far says he is awesome live and RZB has confirmed that as well. He just better avoid the lazy song... I despise that so much.

I'm pretty sure he is not going to avoid the song that made him famous.

While we agree he won't avoid it, that wasn't even the song that put him over the top I don't think. Grenade is arguably the most overplayed song of the last decade. lol

I like Bruno Mars. You can tell that he's been inspired by many different musicians. "Grenade" sounds a bit like an old Motown song. "Locked Out Of Heaven" sounds vaguely like The Police. "When I Was Your Man" is like a Billy Joel piano ballad. "Treasure" has sort of a Michael Jackson/Rick James vibe to it. And when I saw him perform at the Grammy Awards two years ago, the song he did sounded like 1950's rock and roll.

And I'm glad that "When I Was Your Man" became a #1 hit. That song was just him and his piano. There's no way a song like that would have been a #1 hit 10 years ago.

Surprised they didnt go with Miley Cyrus. She could twerk for 5 minutes then as a closing act swallow the lombardi trophy with her vagina like Paris Hilton in south park.

• Upvote 1

TBH I had never even heard of him before they made the announcement. I thought that the NFL normally went with long-time established stars or with rock and roll legends. From the few clips I have seen looks like they will put on an energetic show, but certainly not my type of music lol.

TBH I had never even heard of him before they made the announcement. I thought that the NFL normally went with long-time established stars or with rock and roll legends. From the few clips I have seen looks like they will put on an energetic show, but certainly not my type of music lol.

Bruno Mars is pretty well established. He's been around for a few years. That being said, he's probably the most current singer in awhile. The last time they went with a modern act was the black eyed peas, and that was a disaster.

They could have done A LOT worse than Bruno Mars. If it were up to me it would be The National opening up for The Mountain Goats but I can live with this. I don't listen to Bruno but at least it's not One Direction or some teeny-bopper bullshit.

I haven't listened to a lot of his songs but the few that I did hear weren't bad at all. One in particular is the one with him and Eminem. Think it was called "Lighters". He mainly did the chorus but it was good stuff.The state of music in general isn't what it use to be from especially being a kid growing up in the 90s when music great; the golden age of hip hop and r&b. So I don't gravitate towards a lot of the music nowadays and don't look for it. I just get lucky every now and then and accidently stumble across some good songs every now and then. But I am a fan of good music. It's probably not popular to be a fan of female music, but last years Superbowl halftime show was the truth. Beyonce killed it and had an amazing performance. I'm a fan of music, male or female. I don't discriminate and respect talent. I'll check out the halftime show and see what Bruno can do on the big stage.

Edited by dutchff7

Awful awful awful awful awful

What was on Underwood's schedule?

A lot of people probably aren't excited, but I don't mind. He has a few pretty good songs and he's great in concert. At least they aren't giving us another rather terrible Rap concert again. He'll, I thought the Beyonce concert was pretty terrible and horribly vulgar for something like the Superbowl.

Definitely nice to see them go with something a little more family oriented for a change. I'd definitely like to see someone like Eric Church or Luke Bryan there to get the crowd amped up, but today's society is 90% pop culture, no country allowed by the major media lol

BLUE and southgadawg how the hell haven't you heard of Bruno Mars lol? I mean I don't love him but do you guys live under a rock or something? :yao: