Vin

Jets @ Pats

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20130912017&home=17&vis=20

(AP) -- After each team needed a late field goal to win their respective season openers, the New England Patriots and New York Jets are taking a more businesslike approach heading into the latest installment of a rivalry that has been one-sided of late.

Looking to extend their dominance within the AFC East, the Patriots try for a sixth consecutive regular-season win over the visiting Jets on Thursday night.

Trash-talking from both sides has often preceded matchups between these division rivals, and the image of New York quarterback Mark Sanchez fumbling into the behind of one of his own linemen during last season's 49-19 Thanksgiving night loss to New England is hard to forget. However, neither team has time to bring up the past or focus on anything other than preparing for this quick turnaround.

"It's Boston-New York," New England quarterback Tom Brady said. "It's going to be exciting. Hopefully, we can go out on a short week and win the game."

New England is riding an 11-game winning streak over East teams since a 34-31 loss at Buffalo on Sept. 25, 2011. The Patriots have won 12 consecutive division home games during the regular season since a 34-31 overtime defeat to the Jets on Nov. 13, 2008.

That is the only time in New York's last five regular-season trips to Foxborough that it has prevailed. Perhaps the biggest victory in coach Rex Ryan's tenure with the Jets, though, came at New England in the divisional playoffs following the 2010 season.

"If you want to win your division you have to beat (the Patriots)," Ryan said. "It's going to be a huge challenge without question."

Brady no longer has Wes Welker or Aaron Hernandez as targets and injuries continue to limit tight end Rob Gronkowski, but the Jets know the man they must stop is still on the field.

"Their team is different now," Ryan said. "But again, it's New England. It starts with Brady."

He's completed 67.6 percent of his passes and thrown 13 touchdowns with one interception during the five-game regular-season winning streak against the Jets.

Even with a new - and in some cases less-experienced - supporting cast, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels believes that success can continue.

"Tom has had a lot of games against this defense, a lot of games against coach Ryan's unit, and this is not going to be different in that regard," he said.

Brady was 29 of 52 for 288 yards with two touchdowns and an interception during Sunday's 23-21 win at Buffalo. He completed four passes to Danny Amendola for 26 yards and three to running back Shane Vereen for 10 on the drive that set up Stephen Gostkowski's 35-yard field goal with 5 seconds remaining.

Vereen rushed for 101 yards on 14 carries but will miss at least eight weeks after he broke a small bone in his left wrist. Amendola caught 10 passes for 104 yards, but is dealing with a groin injury and is uncertain to suit up Thursday.

Brady might again look to Julian Edelman, who had seven receptions for 79 yards and two TDs. Rookie Kenbrell Thompkins was targeted 14 times Sunday but caught four passes for 42 yards.

Running back Stevan Ridley likely will start after his playing time was cut following a second-quarter fumble. He ran for 97 yards and a TD on 21 attempts against the Jets on Thanksgiving.

"We know that there are some players on our offense that are gaining experience each week and that there are plenty of players on our offense that have plenty of experience already," McDaniels said. "Our standard is high. We want to play good offense and take care of the football and maintain our balance, score in the red zone and convert on third down.

"Those things are never going to change."

Though the Patriots have averaged 38.0 points and 419.2 yards in the last five regular-season meetings with New York, they could be in for a challenge against a Jets defense that held Tampa Bay to 250 total yards and three second-half points during Sunday's 18-17 win.

Buccaneers star Doug Martin managed 65 yards with a TD on 24 carries.

"We've just got to do our job week in and out," safety Dawan Landry said. "Every week's going to be a challenge. We're going to be up for it, though."

Hours after Geno Smith went 24 of 38 for 256 yards with a TD, interception and fumble in his NFL debut for the Jets, he was studying the Patriots on film.

"We're going to do our best to prepare ourselves, and we will be ready come Thursday night," said Smith, who took a late hit from Tampa Bay's Lavonte David that resulted in a penalty and set up Nick Folk's winning 48-yard field goal with 2 seconds left.

Smith ran for a team-high 47 yards on six carries, but New York needs more production from the tandem of Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory after they combined for 44 on 22 rushes.

New England allowed 136 yards on the ground to the Bills.

Amendola out, Vereen out, only 1 healthy TE... can't believe the Pats are still -12.5. :yao:

:Patriots: 20

:Jets: 17

BARNBURNER.

Without Vereen and Amendola, this game might, (I stress the word might), be actually closer than most think.

Still think the Pats eventually just take it away.

:Patriots: 23

:Jets: 16

Jets D is solid.

:patriots: 23

I'm not taking a rookie QB over Tom brady.

But I might just take Sheldon Richardson.

:Jets: 20

:patriots: 17

:patriots: 17

:Jets: 16

Gonna be a low scoring game for sure. Expecting us to run the ball and play the field position game. Hopefully force some turnovers from Geno and come away with the win.

Edited by BradyFan81

Wish both teams could lose this but, unfortunately it cant happen that way so I am going with the PATS on this to win...

:patriots: 31

I don't believe that the offensive woes will continue for New England.

Jets declared WR Jeremy Kerley, QB Mark Sanchez, QB Brady Quinn, OLB Quinton Coples, G/T Oday Aboushi, OL Ben Ijalana and OG William Campbell inactive for Week 2 against the Patriots.

Patriots declared TE Zach Sudfeld, WR Danny Amendola, TE Rob Gronkowski, RB Brandon Bolden, G/T Will Svitek, LB Steve Beauharnais and DT Chris Jones inactive for Week 2 against the Jets.

WR Aaron Dobson is active. As is RB/KR Leon Washington, who could see some third-down snaps Thursday evening. Michael Hoomanawanui is getting the start at tight end, but shouldn't see more than 3-4 targets. As NFL.com's Chris Wesseling pointed out on Twitter, Hoomanawanui has never cleared 50 yards in a game. Bolden's absence means LeGarrettte Blount could get some pretty decent run behind Stevan Ridley. Slot WR Julian Edelman is a strong bet to lead the Pats in targets this evening.

This is going to be a good game. The Jets D is underrated and the Pats offense is completely deflated right now. Brady is amazing though, so I think he'll manage to squeak the Pats out a win. Can't see them losing in Foxboro to the Jets.

:patriots: 21

The Pats don't look like world beaters anymore, or at least until they can shake the rust off in the wake of all the weapons lost. And Buffalo provided a glimpse at a possible blueprint on how to get to Brady without sacrificing coverage downfield. The Jets had a pretty decent looking pass rush against Tampa, so the keys here will be pass rush, turnovers and field position. Let's face it, Smith is a dynamic player, but only a marginal upgrade over Sanchez right now. He has the physical skills, but the intangibles and IQ need work. He will need all the possessions he can get against one of the most successful TO differential defenses in the game (and some help from Ivory and Powell) to make it work.

I think it stays close for a half, then NE begins to pick the Jets apart thanks to experience and home field advantage...30-17, :Patriots: .

The Pats don't look like world beaters anymore, or at least until they can shake the rust off in the wake of all the weapons lost. And Buffalo provided a glimpse at a possible blueprint on how to get to Brady without sacrificing coverage downfield. The Jets had a pretty decent looking pass rush against Tampa, so the keys here will be pass rush, turnovers and field position. Let's face it, Smith is a dynamic player, but only a marginal upgrade over Sanchez right now. He has the physical skills, but the intangibles and IQ need work. He will need all the possessions he can get against one of the most successful TO differential defenses in the game (and some help from Ivory and Powell) to make it work.

I think it stays close for a half, then NE begins to pick the Jets apart thanks to experience and home field advantage...30-17, :Patriots: .

In hindsight, it looks like at least nailed TOs as a key to the game. I didn't know inept receivers would be one.

Just a hard fought defensive battle in inclement weather vs a fierce division rival. Always good to come away with that kind of W. Defense was outstanding, against both the run and the pass, and make it extremely difficult for Geno Smith to pass the football.

Offense did it's job by not turning the ball over and moving the ball enough to make the Jets drive 80+ yards every time. Got the reps in for the young fellas in Thompkins, Dobson. Not sure how much Boyce played, I did see him on the field a bit though.

I'm giving the game ball to the entire defense. Outstanding work... Ninkovich, Chandler, Wilfork, Mayo, Talib, Dennard, Gregory, and ARRINGTON. WHEN THE FUCK DID ARRINGTON TURN INTO A BEAST??? Blanket coverage in these first 2 games so far and forcing turnovers.

Man, what a great old school field position type game.

Love everyone complaining what a shit game it was. My kind of game. :smug:

These fucking rookie wideouts... my god... if these fuckers just hold on to the ball the Pats win by 2-3 TDs. Atrocious.

Pats defense stepped the fuck up tonight, though. They played well last week, but they played great tonight. A far cry from the Pats defense that we've been seeing the past several years.

These fucking rookie wideouts... my god... if these fuckers just hold on to the ball the Pats win by 2-3 TDs. Atrocious.

Pats defense stepped the fuck up tonight, though. They played well last week, but they played great tonight. A far cry from the Pats defense that we've been seeing the past several years.

I agree that they're better, but they have played two rookie QBs, one of which has no weapons.

• Upvote 1

I agree that they're better, but they have played two rookie QBs, one of which has no weapons.

True, but there's no denying that they're miles ahead where they used to be a couple years ago when they were getting lit up by the likes of Chad Henne and Dan Orlovsky.

Not saying they'll be a top 5 defense, but I like the direction that this defense is headed in. Defense really started looking a lot better when they acquired Talib at the deadline last year. Dude just gives them so much swagger. Entire defense has a new attitude when he's out there.

Love everyone complaining what a shit game it was. My kind of game. :smug:

The game was shitty, bro. I'm all for devensive battles, but that game pretty much sucked. Tons of dropped balls on both sides. Sloppy as hell.

Some terrible picks by Geno in the 2nd half, as well.

Guess I'm weird, but did not mind that game at all.