Vin

49ers @ Seahawks

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20130915026&home=26&vis=25

(AP) -- Aldon Smith may think it's just another game, but the verbal sniping between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks proves otherwise.

A primetime matchup between two of the NFL's top young quarterbacks only adds to the attention.

Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are both looking to build on the best statistical performances of their respective careers Sunday night, when the 49ers visit the Seahawks in a meeting of bitter NFC West rivals.

San Francisco has won two straight division titles since Seattle claimed one of its own despite a 7-9 record in 2010. The 49ers edged the Seahawks to last year's crown by one-half game en route to their first Super Bowl in 18 years.

Still, Smith isn't prepared to put any importance on a September meeting between rivals expected to spend much of the season battling for NFC West supremacy.

"Uh, what about it? Just another game," said the Pro Bowl linebacker, who set a 49ers record with 19 1/2 sacks last season.

The Seahawks would seem to disagree after 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh took shots at them during the summer for having five players suspended for performance-enhancing drugs dating back to 2011.

"You always want to be above reproach, especially when you're good, because you don't want people to come back and say, 'They're winning because they're cheating,'" Harbaugh said then.

Harbaugh allegedly further stoked the flames last year, honking his horn at the Seahawks' bus after his team won 13-6 at home in Week 7.

Despite Harbaugh's denials, Seattle is still insulted.

"Of course we'd take it that way," safety Earl Thomas said. "When you carry yourself like a champion on and off the field, good stuff is going to happen for you. ... I don't think our coach (Pete Carroll) would do that."

For Kaepernick, there's a simple solution come Sunday.

"You go out and make plays, the chirping stops," he said.

Kaepernick did plenty of that last week, completing 27 of 39 passes for a career-high 412 yards with three touchdowns to lead San Francisco to a 34-28 season-opening win over Green Bay in a rematch of last season's divisional playoff.

He wasn't nearly that effective in a 42-13 loss at CenturyLink Field in Week 16 last year, going 19 of 36 for 244 yards with one TD and one interception.

Wilson, meanwhile, had a career-high four TD passes in that meeting.

His start to 2013 was a bit shaky before eventually leading the Seahawks to a 12-7 win at Carolina last Sunday. Wilson was 1-for-5 passing before hitting 24 of his next 28 to finish with a career-best 320 yards, 43 coming on a go-ahead scoring toss to Jermaine Kearse midway through the fourth quarter.

"We just didn't get it done the way we like. I contributed to that so I've got to make sure I help out and do the right things to make sure we get on track with what is really important to us," Carroll said.

One area in need of improvement is the running game, which produced just 70 yards on 26 carries against the Panthers. Marshawn Lynch was held to 43 on 17 rushes.

Lynch, though, has 321 yards on 66 attempts and three touchdowns - one receiving - over the past three meetings with San Francisco.

Disrupting Kaepernick and the 49ers' offense could be made easier with Cliff Avril expected back from a hamstring injury. The Seahawks, who signed the former Detroit defensive end to a two-year, $15 million contract, gave up 134 rushing yards and registered only one sack last week.

Seattle finished last season tied for 18th with 36 sacks, but eight came against the Packers in Week 3.

Avril's 39 1/2 over his first five seasons led the Lions, and he got 20 1/2 over the past two.

Brandon Browner, suspended four games in December due to PEDs, is listed as doubtful with a hamstring injury. One of his three INTs last year came at San Francisco, but Walter Thurmond is likely to make a second straight start if Browner can't go.

Fellow cornerback Richard Sherman picked off Kaepernick in Week 16 and now will have to account for Anquan Boldin, Kaepernick's favorite target last weekend. The veteran wide receiver grabbed 13 passes for 208 yards and a score in his Niners debut, and credits the performance to his rapport with the signal caller.

"The more we play together the better we'll be," Boldin said. "The great thing me and Kap have is communication. We've been able to communicate throughout the entire camp on every play."

Smith could play a major role if he can pressure Wilson. He sacked him once in two meetings last year, but had 1 1/2 versus Green Bay.

Despite Smith's feelings on the game's importance, a victory Sunday will provide an early edge in the division before the Week 14 rematch in San Francisco.

"They think they're the best, we think we're the best," 49ers running back Frank Gore said.

Definitely the game of the week and it can go either way. I think the Seahawks secondary make the difference. I'm taking the Seahawks in this one.

:Seahawks: 24

:49ers: 21

Edited by dutchff7

Seahawks at home? Give me the 12th man anyday. It'll be a good game, but I don't doubt the Seahawks here.

:49ers: 17

Browner is still doubtful. Thurmond has to step up again, will likely move inside to play Boldin (who played a lot in the slot last week.)

EDIT:

Forgot...

:Seahawks: 23

:49ers: 20

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Both of these teams are excellent. This should definitely be the game of the week.

Going with San Fran, even in Seattle's house.

:49ers: 20

:Seahawks: 17

:49ers: 10

:Seahawks: 23

Was our best all-around game last year. Hopefully our O-line can play well. Can't wait to see the crowd attempt to blow out eardrums and Russel Wilson pick apart that D

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Give me the Seahawks for 2 reasons:

1. Game is in Seattle.

2. I think the 49ers may struggle on offense. Sherman is going to keep Boldin on lockdown. Someone else is going to have to really step up at receiver for the Niners and I don't trust that anyone will.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

1. Game is in Seattle.

2. I think the 49ers may struggle on offense. Sherman is going to keep Boldin on lockdown. Someone else is going to have to really step up at receiver for the Niners and I don't trust that anyone will.

Walter Thurmond is most likely going to be covering Boldin most of the game, not Sherman.

1. Game is in Seattle.

Walter Thurmond is most likely going to be covering Boldin most of the game, not Sherman.

Who is Sherman going to cover?

:49ers: 14

The Seahawks follow Green Bay's Kaepernick containment plan, but have the secondary to hold down his pass catchers.

1. Game is in Seattle.

Who is Sherman going to cover?

His half of the field.

In all seriousness though, Seattle doesn't rotate their corners from side to side. There's a first time for everything though. And Seattle does have a new DC so that could be a possibility. Thurmond is an outstanding cover corner however. Seattle has no problems lining Thurmond up against any WR in the league. In fact Sherman and Browner both have conceded on multiple occasions that Thurmond is the best cover man on the entire team.

The only reason Thurmond would go in the slot would be if Browner's ready to play. Otherwise it'll be Byron Maxwell or Jeremy Lane covering the slot, and Thurmond on the right side where Browner would normally be.

Also, yeah. What Attyla said. We don't play "X DB On X Reciever" coverage. They have their parts of the field and cover whoever lines up on them. All our guys can cover and Thurmond is a better cover DB than anyone else back there.

Edited by Jayrus

Seahawks declared RB Christine Michael, DE Chris Clemons, OT Alvin Bailey, CB Brandon Browner, OT Michael Bowie, DT Jordan Hill, and SS Jeron Johnson inactive for Week 2 against the 49ers.

Michael is a healthy scratch after not playing a single offensive snap last week. Clemons is still dealing with a knee injury and remains week to week. Walter Thurmond will start in place of Browner, with Byron Maxwell playing in sub-packages.

LaMichael James (knee) is inactive for Sunday night's Week 2 game against the Seahawks.

James didn't practice all week and was never expected to be available despite being listed as questionable.
The rest of the 49ers inactives are WR Jonathan Baldwin, QB B.J. Daniels, WR Chris Harper, OG Joe Looney, DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, and LB Nathan Stupar.

All I can say is that was one of the single best defensive performances I've ever seen. People can blame the wet conditions, They can blame the weather delay. But at the end of the day the Niners got rocked by a brick wall...not to mention I doubt any of them can hear right now. Phenomenal performance :clap:

• Upvote 1

Finally the defensive depth in the secondary getting the credit it needs. It was really impressive that Maxwell and Thurmond both played so well that there wasn't even room for Antoine Winfield.

809084759.gif?1379306914

• Upvote 1

The Seahawks made a huge statement with this win blowing the 49ers out. I picked the Seahawks to win this one feeling that it could still go either way but didn't expect a blowout and for the 49ers only to manage 3 points. I think the Seahawks message was that the 49ers are going to have to step up in order to take the division this year. Also, Marshawn Lynch continues to own the 49ers.

And lol @ Sherman getting his T.O on.

ShermanDance_original.gif?1379304304

Edited by dutchff7

Interesting that Sherman lobbied for and was allowed to shadow Boldin for this game. Who was then completely shut out of the game. This was a deviation from how the defense was run last year however we have a new DC in Dan Quinn who is clearly putting his own stamp on this defense.

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Earlier in the year it had been submitted that Sherman may be less than the best because the scheme doesn't ask him to shut down the opponents' best receivers. It appears that limitation may be lifted on him.

It's going to take a good week for my voice to come back. That game is always just completely nuts. It'll be hard to raise that kind of effort against Jacksonville.

Did you feel the migraines? I'd occasionally be grabbing my head from trying to be louder than I'm even capable of in between plays.

This was an awesome game to watch, and not just because we won. Both defenses were crushing the life out of each-other's offenses early on. We made adjustments and started slowly gaining ground. It wasn't until San Fran started making big mistakes that the game got out of hand. So yeah, as much as I love the win, taking out a division rival at home should be expected of you as a contender. The real test will be when we fly down to San Fran in week 14 and play them in their own house. Most people still view us as that team that can't win big games on the road. So that's a perception we still need to break.

Edited by Jayrus

This team is scary right now. They aren't close to full strength, missing their two most productive pass rushers. This team is going to trickle in starters over the next few weeks. When Harvin comes back it's going to be nuts.

The most telling thing I noted last night, was a Niner fan who was all class, giving Seattle their props. He basically said, "What scares me the most, was that we played you almost perfectly defensively. You guys looked like garbage offensively and you beat us by nearly 4 touchdowns. We had more turnovers than points and you left turnovers on the field. Your team can pretty much dictate the score of the game at will and can win, and win big, even when you're having a bad game in one phase."

I couldn't agree more. This team can win in a variety of ways. This team is possibly the best slop team in the league. They are so comfortable in the tight 4th quarter games. And they're about to start getting back key players. I said last year, that Seattle was a team that reminded me of the '91 Cowboys. Both teams had to shrug off some monkeys (road and playoffs woes) and both had similar years, both regular season and post season. They both knew they had a chance to be special with good, very young emerging stars on both sides of the ball. Both teams faced a sort of 'prove it' situation the next season.

Seattle has the opportunity to follow in that team's footsteps this year. I think they've clearly ascended beyond the mental hurdle of believing they belong. It looks like the team is poised to really make their mark this year and methodically exorcise the on paper doubts for the team.

• Upvote 1