Vin

Steelers @ Vikings

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20130929016&home=16&vis=23

(AP) -- Since the NFL adopted a 16-game regular-season schedule 35 years ago, less than 4 percent of teams that lost their first three games have qualified for the playoffs.

Neither the Pittsburgh Steelers nor the Minnesota Vikings expected to be in that position heading into Week 4, but each is hoping a trip overseas for Sunday's matchup in London will help right the ship.

Things haven't gone well stateside for either club. Both remained winless last Sunday, when Pittsburgh committed five turnovers in a 40-23 loss to Chicago while Minnesota fell 31-27 at home to previously winless Cleveland.

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder suffered a fractured rib in that defeat, and the team announced Friday that Matt Cassel will start in his place.

No team has made the playoffs after an 0-3 start since Buffalo in 1998, and only five of the 161 clubs to lose three straight to open a season since 1978 have reached the postseason.

Only San Diego in 1992 began a season 0-4 and still made the playoffs.

The Steelers haven't begun this poorly since starting 0-3 in 2000, and coach Mike Tomlin realizes his team has plenty of room to improve.

While Minnesota made the trip to London early in the week, Tomlin chose to keep his team in Pittsburgh until Thursday evening.

"I value normalcy in the early portions of the week from a preparation standpoint and from a practice standpoint - use of our facilities, the comforts of home if you will," Tomlin said. "It's purely a business trip for me personally. This is just a road game for us. We are happy to represent the NFL in international play, but in terms of what it is that we are doing, our level of focus and the things that we need to do in preparation and in play, it's just a road game for us."

Minnesota has dropped its first three games for the second time in three seasons, but Adrian Peterson said the team isn't about to quit after winning its last four games of 2012 to get into the playoffs.

Peterson ran for a 78-yard touchdown on his first carry of the season, but he's since averaged just 2.9 yards per rush.

"I feel like we have a mature bunch here," said Peterson, who ran for 88 yards and a touchdown last week. "We've just got to stay confident. Stay confident and keep swinging, but swinging a lot better. I feel like we will approach it with that mindset and attitude, and we'll be OK."

Peterson could certainly benefit from Cassel providing more support than Ponder, who ranks 30th in the league with a 65.9 passer rating.

With coach Leslie Frazier saying it was "too risky to put (Ponder) out there to take a hit," Cassel gets his first start in a Vikings uniform.

The nine-year veteran had a league-worst 66.7 passer rating last season as he played nine games for Kansas City, throwing for six touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

"I've been preparing for this and I feel like I'm ready to go," Cassel said. "I feel comfortable with this offense. I'm excited about it. That's what you prepare for as a backup."

Fellow 31-year-old quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was solid at times last week for Pittsburgh, but he also threw two interceptions and lost a pair of fumbles that each led to Chicago touchdowns.

The Steelers still racked up 459 yards of total offense - their most in a game since 2009 - after totaling 472 in their first two contests. Antonio Brown caught nine passes for a career-best 196 yards and both of Roethlisberger's touchdown throws.

Roethlisberger finished 26 of 41 for 406 yards, but his turnovers played a huge role in Pittsburgh now being on the verge of its first 0-4 start since 1968.

"I expect Ben to be better, Ben expects himself to be better," Tomlin said. "We'll continue to work to do that."

The Steelers are the only team in the league yet to register a takeaway, and their minus-9 turnover margin is tied with the New York Giants for worst in the league.

Minnesota is second behind the Giants with 10 giveaways, committing at least three turnovers in each contest.

"You can't turn the ball over at the rate that we're turning it over and expect to win, unless you're so superior to your opponents," Frazier said. "And we're not."

Minnesota ranks 21st in run defense, allowing 114.0 yards per game, and could see an improved ground game from Pittsburgh - which averages an AFC-worst 51.7 yards rushing - as rookie running back Le'Veon Bell is expected to make his debut.

The second-round pick from Michigan State hasn't played since suffering a sprained foot in a preseason game against Washington on Aug. 19.

The Steelers limited Peterson to 69 yards on 18 carries in a 27-17 home win Oct. 25, 2009, in the most recent meeting.

Before the season... I would have told you that any team losing to the Cassel-led Vikings should pack it up forever. But, man. The Steelers just look awful. Can they win? Easily. Do they have the talent to win? You bet.

Matt Cassel has been so turnover prone in his career lately that he will be begging to give the game away. If he can limit those though, he's got a chance.

Vikings by 3.

Basic changes the Vikings must make in order to win:

1. Start Patterson and Simpson on the outside, run Jennings in the slot where he was so great for Green Bay, and exchange Wright for Simpson if Simpson doesn't get going early in the game.

2. Spell Peterson more for Gerhart. Not because Gerhart deserves snaps, but because part of the reason Peterson was so effective last year was because they'd randomly throw Toby out there for a series or two last year and it'd mess with defenses.

3. START Xavier Rhodes, goddammit. You don't have 2 better corners.

This is such a favorable matchup for Pittsburgh. Bell making his debut, Miller's 2nd week back, and they're going up against a horrid secondary.

:Steelers: 34

:Vikings: 20

Can't say I see the Vikings winning this one. Coaching staff is too stubborn in regard to the roster and we just don't have the match-ups to win this game.

Le'Veon Bell time :rock:

Heard an interesting stat earlier... So far this season Christian Ponder has been sacked on 41% of his drop backs. That's insane.. So insane, I think the guy on ESPN radio got it wrong. lol. Regardless, with a number like that, I wonder if the Vikings oline is even trying. Could they be going at it half-assed because they don't believe in their QB?

We will see what happens today...

Vikings declared CB Chris Cook (groin) inactive for Week 4 against the Steelers.

Cook was ruled out on Friday and is considered day to day with a groin injury. A.J. Jefferson will start at right cornerback.
Also inactive for the Vikings are QB Christian Ponder, SS Jamarca Sanford, DE George Johnson, TE Rhett Ellison, DT Chase Baker, and LG Jeff Baca.

Isaac Redman is inactive for Sunday's Week 4 game against the Vikings.

Redman wasn't listed on the injury report, but played through a concussion in Week 2. Le'Veon Bell is active and will start in his NFL debut.
The rest of the Steelers inactives are QB Landry Jones, WR Derek Moye, C Cody Wallace, CB Isaiah Green, NT Loni Fangupo and CB Antwon Blake.

I don't even think that's a game if we don't play soft defense in the second half.

The Steelers are even more atrocious than I imagined.

FIRE ARIANS... o wait nvm :troll:

• Upvote 1