Penguins/Blue Jackets

Lightning/Canadiens

Rangers/Flyers

Matchups in the East are set.

Bruins/Red Wings

Penguins/Blue Jackets

Lightning/Canadiens

Rangers/Flyers

I was kind of hoping Columbus would catch Philly. I mean Philly/Rangers is good but Philly/Pittsburgh would be just as good and the Rangers/Jackets seem to have a little rivalry going since the Nash trade.

• Upvote 1

Central Division champs. Toughest division in Hockey. Bring on the Wild.

Matchups in the East are set.

Bruins/Red Wings

Penguins/Blue Jackets

Lightning/Canadiens

Rangers/Flyers

I was kind of hoping Columbus would catch Philly. I mean Philly/Rangers is good but Philly/Pittsburgh would be just as good and the Rangers/Jackets seem to have a little rivalry going since the Nash trade.

Caught some of the most recent Rags-Jackets game (Nashs' return to Columbus) and it got chippy as hell. Nash at the center of it haha.

Edited by Bay

One thing I do like about this new postseason setup is that it'll really intensify division rivalries. Having to play the same teams in your division to get into the conference finals is pretty exciting.

I kinda wish they'd gone all in with the divisional playoffs, by which I mean only have the wild cards cross over if both WCs are from the same division, as it is the top seed plays the worse WC regardless of division, right now it looks like it's going to work out because in the West both WCs are from the Central division and in the East the top team (Boston) is in the same division as the lower WC (Detroit) but it'd be nice if they just set it up that way by rule

It used to be that way from 1981-82 to 1992-93 before the stupid seeding system was made in 1993-94, minus wild cards. Top 4 teams from each division got in, and the division semis were set up on a 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3 basis. The winners of the semis then played each other in the division finals, with the winners going to the conference final. Then the conference winners played for the Cup. It really did intensify rivalries and made playoff hockey very enjoyable to watch.

Here's an example of how it worked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Stanley_Cup_playoffs

Central Division champs. Toughest division in Hockey. Bring on the Wild.

Congrats to the Avs for an amazing turnaround.

Edited by BigBen07

Remember when I said Johnny Gaudreau was a good player? First NHL game = First NHL goal. Flames future looks bright :yep:

But then Paul Byron gets five and a game for a hit to the side. Hope D. Sedin is alright though. Sedin was in a vulnerable position.

Edited by SJConrad

NHL playoff schedule is up for the first round: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=714402&navid=nhl:topheads

Let me know if you guys want a separate thread or not.

Not digging the 12:00 PM start times... regular season is one thing, playoffs is another. This hurts the West teams a lot IMO in terms of viewers.

Edited by BigBen07

It's only one game so far. Not a big deal. Jesus rose and wanted us to watch dat hotkey :shifty:

Didn't see the other one.

Edited by Bay

It's only one game so far. Not a big deal. Jesus rose and wanted us to watch dat hotkey :shifty:

Oh I was referring to the 3 PM start times over here which is 12 noon there. :yep:

All right time to get those predictions in!

And lol nice way to work that in there. :D

Hockey in the afternoon is lame as fuck, anyway.

Oh I was referring to the 3 PM start times over here which is 12 noon there. :yep:

All right time to get those predictions in!

And lol nice way to work that in there. :D

Oh, duh. Don't mind matinee Hockey honestly but for playoffs 7-8 PM start time in whatever timezone would be ideal.

Times for the Flyers/Rangers series are all kinds of fucked up. Two days of rest on non-travel periods and then games 6 and 7, if necessary, on back-to-back days? Just another example of TV running the NHL.

Playoff games are always on during the day on the weekends. Nothing changed.

Was time for the Preds to part ways with Barry Trotz and that's exactly what they did. For the first time since the 98-99 season, there will be a new bench boss in Nashville.

Already a fantastic playoffs and game 1 for the original 6 match has not started yet. its going to be physical can not wait. SO PUMPED.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

CAPITALS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO FRONT OFFICE AND COACHING STAFF

Posted on April 26, 2014 by Caps PR

ARLINGTON, VA. – The Washington Capitals will not renew the contract of vice president and general manager George McPhee and have relieved head coach Adam Oates of his duties, majority owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick announced today.

“George has been a terrific, longtime executive for our franchise, and I’m grateful for his commitment to the Capitals organization for the past 17 years,” said Leonsis. “Under his leadership the Capitals won seven division titles, twice were the top team in the Eastern Conference, earned a Presidents’ Trophy and competed in the playoffs 10 times. He was a highly effective manager who is extremely well regarded within our organization and around the NHL. We have the utmost respect for him and his family and wish them nothing but the very best.

“We are also appreciative of Adam’s efforts and thank him for his devotion, work ethic and contributions to the Capitals the past two seasons. He is a smart, tactical coach who improved the performance of several of our players. He is a Hall of Fame player who we believe will be a longtime coach in the NHL. We will help him in whatever way we are able and wish him well.

This is an important time for our organization, and I feel a change is needed in order to get us back to being a top echelon team that competes for the Stanley Cup.”

Leonsis and Patrick will be available to the media today, April 26 at 4 p.m. in the Verizon Center media room.

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2014/04/26/capitals-announce-changes-to-front-office-and-coaching-staff

it was really a question of when not if, McPhee's contract was up and there was no way he was getting renewed and it's just generally a good idea IMO to let a new GM bring in his own guy and Oates hasn't done anything to make himself indispensable

Oates should come back and be an assistant on the Devils again. :yep:

Varly up for the Vezina. Nice to see the league take notice.

Calgary Flames have a new GM; Brad Treliving. Apparently big into advanced stats! #corsi

But on a sad note Burkie's not our GM :no:

Jagr re-signed with the Devils. I heard that if the Devils missed the playoffs he wouldn't be back.

@PredsNHL:

. @PredsNHL announce hiring of Peter Laviolette as 2nd head coach in team history to multi-year contract

Where does Torts go now, if anywhere? :think: