Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

TGP Power Rankings Week 5

1. :Broncos: (-): Denver thrashed Philly, and put up a 50-burger while doing it. Peyton and co. are looking good in the regular season once again.

2. :Saints: (+2): Nawlins is looking like their 2009 form. I'll take them over any other team in the NFC at the moment.

3. :Seahawks: (-1): The 'Hawks are 4-0, but they escaped Houston by the skin of their teeth. If they get homefield advantage, they could be in the Superbowl. If they don't, they really need to correct their road woes to beat a good playoff team in January.

4. :Patriots: (+2): The Pats are heating up. The vulnerable team we saw in September may have pushed past their early struggles... and they're still 4-0.

5. :Chiefs: (+4): This feels too high, but right now I've got to give props to the Chiefs. They are playing great football, Alex Smith isn't turning it over and they are 4-0.

6. :Bears: (-3): Chicago drops one on the road to a division rival who is playing very good football. The more troubling thing is Cutler's turnovers.

7. :Colts: (+5): Indy is looking really good. The Jags have historically given them problems, not this year.

8. :49ers: (+5): San Fran dominated the Rams in St. Louis to get back on track. They are still 2 games behind Seattle for the division lead and they are going to have to keep up the form they showed against St. Louis to have a shot at the West.

9. :Ravens: (-4): Joe Flacco's road woes during the regular season again come up to bite the Ravens. That defense has vastly improved since the season opening loss to Denver, and despite Flacco's five interceptions, they still kept the game very close.

10. :Lions: (+7): The Lions are 3-1 and in first place in the NFC North. A huge test comes this week against the Packers, who they can put into desperation mode by delivering a loss to them in Green Bay.

11. :Packers: (-1): The Packers drop a spot during their bye week. A near must-win against the Lions is up next.

12. :dolphins: (-4): Miami's flaws were exposed against the Saints. Tannehill and company tried to win a passing game against the Saints, and that simply isn't how its done. Don't be fooled though, this team is better than the effort they showed in New Orleans.

13. :Titans: (+3): Tennessee would have moved up a lot more, except they have lost Jake Locker for 4-6 weeks. Locker was playing the best football of his career, and now Ryan Fitzpatrick has to direct the offense.

14. :Bengals: (-7): Dalton is holding this team back. He absolutely must step up his game in order for the Bengals to make a serious run at a Superbowl.

15. :Chargers: (+5): This team is driving me crazy. They simply are inconsistent, but the talent is there to make a charge for a playoff spot.

16. :Falcons: (-5): One more loss will drop the Falcons into a 1-4 hole. With the Saints on fire as they are, I'm not sure Atlanta can afford that.

17. :panthers: (+1): Carolina moves up a spot on their bye week. They are entering the cheesecake portion of their schedule and really must rack off 4 straight wins to re-enter the playoff picture.

18. :Cowboys: (-4): Dallas falls after the loss to San Diego. This team is talented, but they can't seem to put it together on a consistent basis.

19. :Texans: (-4): Houston blows a big lead against Seattle after a terrible throw by Matt Schaub. Schaub is holding this team back much like Dalton is holding Cincy back.

20. :Bills: (+4): The defense is keeping this team in games and Manuel is doing enough to pull out some victories.

21. :Cardinals: (+1): The Cards pull out a win against a struggling Tampa team. Barely.

22. :Browns: (+4): Cleveland grabs a victory against the Bengals and this team is tied for the lead in the AFC North. Lombardi's attempt to tank the season appears to have failed.

23. :Redskins: (+2): The Skins managed to grab a win against Oakland, but I can't help but feel if Pryor was starting for Oakland, the Redskins wouldn't have managed to take their first win.

24. :Eagles: (-5): Philly's defense is going to keep this team from going anywhere, especially since Michael Vick is unable to keep a lot of drives going for the Eagles. It will be interesting to see if Kelly moves on to Nick Foles to see what he can do.

25. :Jets: (-2): New York got blown out by the Titans, and Geno Smith looked like Mark Sanchez's protege.

26. :Rams: (-5): St. Louis has gotten blown out twice in a row and are looking a lot less like the promising team that started the season.

27. :Vikings: (+3): The Vikes grabbed their first win of the season against the winless Steelers.

28. :Raiders: (+1): Oakland moving up a spot is more indicative of the teams under them than their own play. Matt Flynn looked pretty rough, and its clear why the Raiders gave the starting job to Pryor.

29. :Steelers: (-2): Pittsburgh drops to 0-4, but they are still only two games behind the AFC North leaders. If they can somehow get it together, they could turn it around.

30. :Bucs: (+1): Tampa lost to Arizona in a close one. Their defense is still playing well, (which is why I have them above New York, who is just bad on both sides of the ball), but their offense is just anemic.

31. :Giants: (-3): New York got smashed in Arrowhead by the 4-0 Chiefs. Like Pittsburgh, they are still alive due to the weakness of their division, but I just don't see these guys turning it around.

32. :jags: (-): Jacksonville looks downright awful. This may be the worst team I've ever seen play.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Dallas should fall behind Carolina and Atlanta, man. No offense taken, but come on. There's a difference between truly believing there are 17 better teams in the NFL and just wanting to believe it.

You barely beat the Giants with six turnovers. You lost to KC, (no shame), then beat up on the Rams, (big woop), and then lost to San Diego.

I knew when I posted this that you would be in here because of what you posted in the other thread. I simply do not think the Cowboys are a good team.

You're being a bit nit-picky though, there really isn't a difference between two teams that are right next to each other in the rankings.

I agree with your assessment of the Seahawks; however, how would the Saints offense play against the Seahawk's defense? Would the Saint's seemingly revitalized defense be able to contain the Seahawks offense should Harvin return for the playoffs?

LOL Trident. Love the Jags thrown in at the end.

I agree with your assessment of the Seahawks; however, how would the Saints offense play against the Seahawk's defense? Would the Saint's seemingly revitalized defense be able to contain the Seahawks offense should Harvin return for the playoffs?

In Seattle? I think the Hawks take it, narrowly, but I don't think that's a given. In New Orleans? The Saints take it by multiple scores.

1. :Broncos: (4-0) Gotta give Denver the nod this week. They just look like the best team in football. Still would prefer to see how they do against better teams though.

2. :Seahawks: (4-0) Hooboy was that ever ugly. That O-line needs help right fast. Most people will point to this game and say the Texans gave the game to us. I say we TOOK it from them.

3. :Saints: (4-0) Much as I hate to say it, the Saints are absolutely on fire. That offense is frightening, and Rob Ryan's defense is working wonders for them.

4. :Patriots: (4-0) I keep waiting for this team to lose, and they keep winning. I really shouldn't be surprised that Brady is somehow making things work with a bunch of nameless scrubs, but I am.

5. :Colts: (3-1) The Colts took care of business against the Jags, and continue to look like a dangerous squad, though with Bradshaw out T-Rich will need to step up.

6. :Bears: (3-1) After three weeks of looking really good, the Bears completely crap themselves against Detriot. I don't know who was impersonating Jay Cutler in this game but he sucked ass.

7. :49ers: (2-2) The Niners get back some footing with a blowout against a divisional opponent. If they can keep performing like this the race for the west should heat up considerably.

8. :Bengals: (2-2) Last week the Bengals were my pick to win this division. This week they got offed by the Browns. Someone needs to give Dalton a kick in the ass before he sinks his own ship.

9. :Chiefs: (4-0) The Chiefs stay undefeated on the strength of a great defense and some of the most vanilla offensive football I've ever seen. How do fans not fall asleep watching this team?

10. :dolphins: (3-1) The Dolphins made a fatal mistake this week. They tried to out-pass the Saints in their own house. That just won't happen. They still look like a pretty good team though.

11. :Packers: (1-2) The Packers were on bye this week which means they stay put for now. hopefully a week of rest will help them get healthy and on track for next week.

12. :Ravens: (2-2) The "Elite" Joe Flacco proves he was worth all that money by throwing five interceptions against the Bills. That'll do Joe. That'll do.

13. :Lions: (3-1) The Lions continue to surprise. A big win this week against the Bears puts them in first place in the North for the time being. now they have to prove they can keep it.

14. :Titans: (3-1) The Titans suffered a bit of a pyrrhic victory this week. They won the game, but they lost Jake Locker to injury. Now their hopes lie in Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yikes.

15. :Texans: (2-2) Most teams wait a week to change form Jekyll to Hyde. The Texans do it mid game. Schaub is absolutely killing this team right now and it's so depressing to watch.

16. :Chargers: (2-2) The Chargers are still inconsistent, but they are undeniably on the upswing. If Rivers keeps playing strong they could push for a wildcard spot.

17. :Cowboys: (2-2) The Cowboys continue to be an inconsistent wreck. The offense keeps giving up dumb turnovers, and their defense continues to be carved up like a roast by QB after QB. Someone in Dallas has to figure out how to pull this team together.

18. :panthers: (1-2) The panthers had their bye this week, so they don't move. With a week of rest after trouncing the Giants and a soft schedule coming up they're poised to make up serious ground.

19. :Falcons: (1-3) The Falcons are teetering on the brink after losing a heart-breaker to the Patriots. They can't afford any more setbacks if they want to have a prayer of catching the red hot Saints.

20. :Cardinals: (2-2) The Cards pull off a win against Tampa. Unfortunately Tampa is in the middle of imploding so that doesn't mean much.

21. :Browns: (2-2) The Browns put up a second consecutive win putting them in the lead for the AFC North. If Hoyer keeps this up they might need even need to draft a QB after all.

22. :Bills: (2-2) The Bills took advantage of Joe Flacco's total failure at his job to pull off a win against the Ravens. Honestly though, after 5 interceptions it should have been at least a two score game.

23. :Eagles: (1-3) The Eagles got absolutely face-rolled by Denver. With a defense this bad, Philly's offense is going to have to start putting up weekly 50-burgers to win any games.

24. :Redskins: (1-3) The Redskins finally managed to pull off a win against a Terrell Pryor-less Raiders. Amazingly the East is so shitty they're actually only one game back at this point.

25. :Vikings: (1-3) The Vikings pull off one out against the hapless Steelers and go into their bye week not being winless, which I guess... is something?

26. :Jets: (2-2) The Jets took a beat-down from the Titans, though they did take Jake Locker down with them.

27 :Rams: (1-3) After two straight blowouts the Rams drop through the floor. it's official. This team has one of the heart and toughness of last year.

28. :Raiders: (1-3) The Raiders lose to the Redskins and Matt Flynn further proves he isn't a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

29. :Bucs: (0-4) The Bucs ascend slightly by virtue of not sucking quite as much as the teams beneath them.

30. :Steelers: (0-4) The Steelers got rolled by the Vikings and continue to prove that they are just a depleted husk of what they once were. I don't see them getting out of a hole this deep.

31. :Giants: (0-4) The Giants continue to give the Jags a run for their money for the title of "Worst Team In Football" by suffering yet another blowout. Also, no Antrel Rolle. you're not finishing 12-0.

32. :jags: (0-4) The Jags are so terrible that I'm now running out of humorous ways to say they suck. They continue to be the worst in the league, though they are in serious danger of being out-sucked by the Giants.

Edited by Jayrus

The Saints @ Hawks game is going to be electric. I'll tip my hat to Brees if he can come in here and pull this off.

Dallas held two of their four opponents in check. It's not like they've had 30 dropped on them every game...The defense isn't that bad.

6. :Bears: (3-1) After three weeks of looking really good, the Bears completely crap themselves against Detriot. I don't know who was impersonating Jay Cutler in this game but he sucked ass.

No no... I'm pretty sure that's the real Jay Cutler...

• Upvote 2

They just didn't have the Ansah for Ansah.

I'll give this a shot.

1. :Broncos: Dear god, we are putting on an offensive clinic this year. Best regular season team this year... my word.

2. :Seahawks: It may have been an ugly win, but the old Seahawks would fold after being down in the first half. The attitude of this team to come out and ball every week is incredible. Russell Wilson does not let this team get blown out, and that defense is amazing at making plays when they need it.

3. :Saints: Another dominating performance by the Saints, the defense is back and aggressive, and with the defensive line in their proper positions, you have a giant change in the fundamental structure of the team. I did not think they would be this good this soon.

4. :patriots: Shit. They're back. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

5. :Chiefs: Alex Smith has completely changed how this team operates. Few turnovers, efficient play and sustained drives on offense leads to a resurgent defense playing much tighter. Dontari Poe and Justin Houston are playing like probowlers this year, and Eric Berry is back on track too.

6. :Colts: Dare I say this team is a serious contender? I don't know how the mindset changed, but the offense and defense are a lot more aggressive than they ever were when the Dunge and his lackey were in charge. Andrew Luck is finally becoming that legit QB he was showing flashes of being last year. The Richardson trade wasn't good, and it's bound to bite the team in the future, but right now? shit son.

7. :49ers: Well they figured out how to beat the Rams. That's good I guess.

8. :Titans: This is only tentative since with Locker gone, they're a lot worse. I would not be saying that last year... what the heck happened to him?

9. :Ravens: That defense was really good, the offense was really bad. Looks like not much has changed after all. I though you guys fired Cam Cameron last year? How do you let Flacco throw more interceptions than Ray Rice has carries. What a joke. Still number 9 because they are amazing at getting defensive pressure. And the things they fucked up on can be easily fixed.

and from here I'm completely stumped until the bottom 5.

28. :Raiders: Joke

29. :Steelers: loljoke

30. :Giants: You guys are awful.

31. :Bucs: Pathetic Joke

32. :jags: So bad it's not even funny.

• Upvote 2

Much as I love the love the Saints are getting right now, the one thing the Hawks and Patriots have over the Saints is a run game or a semblance of the run the game. In 2009 we had a run game to compliment our passing attack. This year we can't seem to find it.

Our O-line right now I don't think would stand a chance against the Hawks front seven in the their house or in the dome.

Pass protection isn't great either for us. It only looks decent cause Brees knows how to get rid of the ball quick, but he has been sacked a lot more than he is used too.

These next 2 games will decide if we are for real or not. The Bears in Chicago and then the Pats.

I guess I'll give this one a go as well.

1. :Broncos: - Obvious one is obvious.

2. :Seahawks: - They just keep winning. I actually have them ranked #1 based on the teams they've played.

3. :Patriots: - Another team that just keeps winning. And all their offensive pieces aren't even back yet.

4. :Saints: - Crazy what a difference one year can make on a team. And getting their coach back.

5. :Chiefs: - After all these years of believing the hype, the one offseason I decide to not believe the hype is the one year they start to play well. Bleh.

6. :dolphins: - The usually stout defense wasn't so stout for Miami. They are still figuring things out but I've been very impressed by their perfomance.

7. :Lions: - Am I being homerish? Oh yes I am, and the Packers will bring me back to planet earth, unfortunatly.

8 :Colts: - How about the colt's ground game? Anybody noticed how much better they've been this year?

9 :49ers: - Kaepernick has been underwhelming, but he also has no weapons to work with. He'll get back to form.

10. :Packers: - I think they should be ranked higher, and they will once they knock us out this upcoming Sunday.

11. :Texans: - No shame in overtime loss to the Seahawks. Except when you consider how inconsistent Schaub has been.

12. :Bears: - I'm surprised by how high some people still have these guys after a misleading final score. The Bears were down 40-16 in the 4th with about 8 minutes left before they started ralying back with our soft prevent defense.

13. :Chargers: - Rivers back! Rivers back! There's all these bitches screaming that Rivers back!

14. :Ravens: - Been really inconsistent this year.

15. :Titans: - Scored a whole bunch of points on a pretty stingy defense. This is the come up.

16. :Cowboys: - Too damn inconsistent. Should be lower on the list, and they will be after the Broncos beat them.

17. :panthers: - I was high on them all offseason, and I'm still a believer that they can finish off the year second in the division at least.

18. :Falcons: - Remember when we were all haters because we didn't all have them as the new God flows?

19. :Bengals: - Like the Cowboys, too inconsistent. You don't know which team is going to show up and it all starts with the QB.

20. :Cardinals: - Pivotal early season game against the Panthers this upcoming Sunday.
21. :Browns:
22. :Bills:
23. :Eagles:
24. :Redskins:
25. :Vikings:
26. :Jets:

27 :Rams:
28. :Raiders:
29. :Bucs:
30. :Steelers:
31. :Giants:

32. :jags:

1. :Broncos: (-): Denver thrashed Philly, and put up a 50-burger while doing it. Peyton and co. are looking good in the regular season once again.

2. :Saints: (+2): Nawlins is looking like their 2009 form. I'll take them over any other team in the NFC at the moment.

3. :Seahawks: (-1): The 'Hawks are 4-0, but they escaped Houston by the skin of their teeth. If they get homefield advantage, they could be in the Superbowl. If they don't, they really need to correct their road woes to beat a good playoff team in January.

4. :Patriots: (+2): The Pats are heating up. The vulnerable team we saw in September may have pushed past their early struggles... and they're still 4-0.

5. :Chiefs: (+4): This feels too high, but right now I've got to give props to the Chiefs. They are playing great football, Alex Smith isn't turning it over and they are 4-0.

6. :Bears: (-3): Chicago drops one on the road to a division rival who is playing very good football. The more troubling thing is Cutler's turnovers.

7. :Colts: (+5): Indy is looking really good. The Jags have historically given them problems, not this year.

8. :49ers: (+5): San Fran dominated the Rams in St. Louis to get back on track. They are still 2 games behind Seattle for the division lead and they are going to have to keep up the form they showed against St. Louis to have a shot at the West.

9. :Ravens: (-4): Joe Flacco's road woes during the regular season again come up to bite the Ravens. That defense has vastly improved since the season opening loss to Denver, and despite Flacco's five interceptions, they still kept the game very close.

10. :Lions: (+7): The Lions are 3-1 and in first place in the NFC North. A huge test comes this week against the Packers, who they can put into desperation mode by delivering a loss to them in Green Bay.

11. :Packers: (-1): The Packers drop a spot during their bye week. A near must-win against the Lions is up next.

12. :dolphins: (-4): Miami's flaws were exposed against the Saints. Tannehill and company tried to win a passing game against the Saints, and that simply isn't how its done. Don't be fooled though, this team is better than the effort they showed in New Orleans.

13. :Titans: (+3): Tennessee would have moved up a lot more, except they have lost Jake Locker for 4-6 weeks. Locker was playing the best football of his career, and now Ryan Fitzpatrick has to direct the offense.

14. :Bengals: (-7): Dalton is holding this team back. He absolutely must step up his game in order for the Bengals to make a serious run at a Superbowl.

15. :Chargers: (+5): This team is driving me crazy. They simply are inconsistent, but the talent is there to make a charge for a playoff spot.

16. :Falcons: (-5): One more loss will drop the Falcons into a 1-4 hole. With the Saints on fire as they are, I'm not sure Atlanta can afford that.

17. :panthers: (+1): Carolina moves up a spot on their bye week. They are entering the cheesecake portion of their schedule and really must rack off 4 straight wins to re-enter the playoff picture.

18. :Cowboys: (-4): Dallas falls after the loss to San Diego. This team is talented, but they can't seem to put it together on a consistent basis.

19. :Texans: (-4): Houston blows a big lead against Seattle after a terrible throw by Matt Schaub. Schaub is holding this team back much like Dalton is holding Cincy back.

20. :Bills: (+4): The defense is keeping this team in games and Manuel is doing enough to pull out some victories.

21. :Cardinals: (+1): The Cards pull out a win against a struggling Tampa team. Barely.

22. :Browns: (+4): Cleveland grabs a victory against the Bengals and this team is tied for the lead in the AFC North. Lombardi's attempt to tank the season appears to have failed.

23. :Redskins: (+2): The Skins managed to grab a win against Oakland, but I can't help but feel if Pryor was starting for Oakland, the Redskins wouldn't have managed to take their first win.

24. :Eagles: (-5): Philly's defense is going to keep this team from going anywhere, especially since Michael Vick is unable to keep a lot of drives going for the Eagles. It will be interesting to see if Kelly moves on to Nick Foles to see what he can do.

25. :Jets: (-2): New York got blown out by the Titans, and Geno Smith looked like Mark Sanchez's protege.

26. :Rams: (-5): St. Louis has gotten blown out twice in a row and are looking a lot less like the promising team that started the season.

27. :Vikings: (+3): The Vikes grabbed their first win of the season against the winless Steelers.

28. :Raiders: (+1): Oakland moving up a spot is more indicative of the teams under them than their own play. Matt Flynn looked pretty rough, and its clear why the Raiders gave the starting job to Pryor.

29. :Steelers: (-2): Pittsburgh drops to 0-4, but they are still only two games behind the AFC North leaders. If they can somehow get it together, they could turn it around.

30. :Bucs: (+1): Tampa lost to Arizona in a close one. Their defense is still playing well, (which is why I have them above New York, who is just bad on both sides of the ball), but their offense is just anemic.

31. :Giants: (-3): New York got smashed in Arrowhead by the 4-0 Chiefs. Like Pittsburgh, they are still alive due to the weakness of their division, but I just don't see these guys turning it around.

32. :jags: (-): Jacksonville looks downright awful. This may be the worst team I've ever seen play.

NO complaints here. Actually none whatsoever.

Here are some numbers for your Cowboy fans that disagree

Dallas 21 Carolina 12. No that isn't the score of the game last year. That is average points against.

31 and 0 being points against from a common opponent.

450 to 119 that would be passing yds allowed.

More than justifies the logic to put Carolina ahead of Dallas.

Hang on a sec, I need to re-evaluate my power rankings if Dave is agreeing with them. Clearly something is wrong.