Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jags trade Eugene Monroe to Baltimore

Per Rotoworld.com:

Ravens acquired LT Eugene Monroe from the Jaguars for "multiple third-day draft picks."
Another out-of-the-blue trade. Monroe is one of the better left tackles in the game but hasn't gotten the recognition because he's been stuck in Jacksonville. He's struggled a bit this season just like the rest of the Jaguars' offensive line, but he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 10 left tackle last season and is signed through 2014. Bryant McKinnie will likely move to the bench or be released, while Michael Oher will remain at right tackle. Monroe is just 26 years old. Luke Joeckel will likely take over at left tackle for the Jags. Oct 1 - 9:47 PM

Should have got more.

Gene Smith, is that you?

I don't even.

So now we're back at the same place we were last season, except without the one good tackle part. And to top it all off, the picks are just "third-day draft picks" which is what, round 4-7? Amazing.

:Suicide:

Edited by Vin

Well it was either this or the Jags get nothing and watch him walk at the end of the season. No way a top, young talent like Monroe was resigning with a team like Jacksonville. He would have at least 20 or so teams wanting his services.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Well....this is FUCKING AWESOME.

Now we eliminate a need in the draft and we are going straight WR..... Oh and McKinnie's cap is no longer needed....so fucking a right.

Jacksonville is turning into a pretty good farm team for the Ravens, first smith now monroe.... Cecil Shorts next maybeeee?

man, the Jags must have gotten jealous of the Browns, decided they could stockpile some draft picks too

Now we eliminate a need in the draft and we are going straight WR..... Oh and McKinnie's cap is no longer needed....so fucking a right.

Jacksonville is turning into a pretty good farm team for the Ravens, first smith now monroe.... Cecil Shorts next maybeeee?

Monroe is on the last year of his deal, so the Ravens are going to have to hand out a very large contract to him or watch him walk.

Monroe is on the last year of his deal, so the Ravens are going to have to hand out a very large contract to him or watch him walk.

Possibly but we can franchise tag him. or slap him with a 1st round tender.

Can someone say Firesale?

I'm actually completely down with this deal. For reasons Air already addressed. Why keep him around for the rest of the year when it's obvious the team is very very bad. Might as well give Joeckel 12 games at LT for the future. This is why they didn't talk extension with Monroe and said they were gonna wait til the end of the year I guess. He wasn't in their plans, they saw they'd likely have to over pay him to extend him given the interest his agent would sense in the market (as well as being a rebuilding team, one Monroe wouldn't prefer to be on likely.) Interested to see the actual compensation.

Ravens traded their 7th already so it has to be two or all three picks between 4th-6th rounds. Or maybe one is a future pick in 2015.

Now if we can trade MJD that'd be ideal too.

Jaguars are morons... I don't care that it's the last year of his deal. Pay the man. You don't win championships in this league without rewarding your own players. And LOL at the thought of Monroe walking at the end of the season just because it's Jacksonville.

Clearly they didn't want to spend the money, but unless there was yet to be reported tension between the two sides, he would have come running back for the right deal.

I absolutely despise teams like this. If you aren't in it to win, get the fuck out of the way.

Fuck this shit. Can you please trade your good players to a team not named Baltimore Ravens? Please.

• Upvote 1

@AlbertBreer 8h

The deal sending Eugene Monroe to Baltimore will net the Jaguars two mid-round picks in 2014, get them to 10 picks for that draft.

Hmmm... mid-round usually involves a 3rd round pick. Technically only the 4th round is a mid round pick. So it could go either way — 3rd and 4th, or 4th and 5th. When you consider that the Jags only got a 3rd and 5th rounder for Marcus Stroud when he was way better at DT than Monroe was at OT (former was a 3x Pro Bowler and 3x All-Pro, the latter none) it puts the compensation in perspective. Of course being he only has 12 games left on his contract, while a guy like Trent Richardson was only on his 2nd year of a contract — thus the reason a team valued that contract more (as well as Monroe being the 8th pick before the new rookie wage scale thus making significantly more money than Richardson.)

Doesn't seem like the highway robbery people here initially thought. :shrug: But maybe I'm seeing black and teal?

Ryan O'Halloran @ryanohalloran 3m

Source says #jaguars will get Baltimore's fourth and fifth round picks in 2014 for Monroe.

So that's basically like getting a 3rd for him if you were to gauge it by one pick like most people originally thought.

Also...

@mikejurecki

Hearing Jags contacted the Cards last week re Eugene Monroe & Arizona decided to pass on Monroe. Cards could address the LT in free agency.

@mikejurecki

One reason free agent this upcoming off season. RT @Huhsaywha22: @mikejurecki do you have any idea why they would pass up Monroe?

Seems as if Monroe being a FA last year scared off other teams. Saying they contacted teams with LT problems and Baltimore was the best offer. :shrug:

I still don't understand this. Is Monroe not as good as we think he is? I would think that we'd be able to get more for him. I know you have to have a team on the other end to agree to it, but still. And why wouldn't we slap the franchise tag on him?

I just... Like I said earlier, we go from having one good tackle and another potentially good one to having, at this moment, no good tackles. And now with Pasztor or Bradfield starting, we're making an already bad o-line worse (assuming those two play at the level they did last season).

I don't get it.

Given all the info, it's now obvious Caldwell doesn't want Monroe as their LT. My only guess would be they envision a more athletic, pass block first LT (Joeckel) instead of Monroe. Who is more mauler, run block first (although PFF has Monroe struggling more with the run blocking, ranking him 17th of all OTs.) Joeckel is ranked right below Monroe — but he's also playing RT instead of LT like he has played nearly his whole football career. So returning to his natural spot might spark a big improvement in his play (muscle memory, back to using his comfortable arm to punch), but that's all speculation on my part.

Also, given Monroe's quotes, "It's definitely a good thing" that he got traded to Baltimore signals he might not of wanted to return. Again, just speculation. If he would of left next year, the compensatory pick wouldn't come til 2015 and the most it'd be would be a 4th round pick (which they now have, along with another.) So basically he fast forwarded the whole saga and got out with a profit while he could.

My only problem with the deal is that he waited til now to do it. If he didn't want Monroe as his LT, trade him during or after the draft. But then again maybe they have been dangling him out there since then and a deal they were fine with didn't come til now:

Ryan O'Halloran @ryanohalloran 1h

Gus said other teams had called about Monroe. #Jaguars

I don't love or hate the trade honestly. It seems like it was inevitable. While Monroe was a top 10 tackle, I wouldn't call him elite. As I think the OT play league wide is lacking on average as a whole. As in if you were a top 10 tackle in 1995 you're more than likely elite (the 1990s was loaded with elite OTs), now not so much. Think about the best OTs in the league. Are any of these guys Hall of Famers? Even Duane Brown was getting scorched by an old Dwight Freeney this year.

It is what it is. Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the timing — but I have no idea what the negotiations with Monroe's agent were like, his want to be there or not, what other teams offered or how well he was playing given what they were asking of him in the ZBS (which I imagine is a reason they didn't see him in the future as their LT.)

Welp, this team is cursed.

Jaguars LT Luke Joeckel is out for the season due to a fractured right ankle.

If the 0-5 Jags weren't at rock bottom before, they certainly are now. Joeckel, the No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft, was just installed at left tackle thanks to the Eugene Monroe trade. But after getting rolled up from behind early in Sunday's Week 5 loss to the Rams, 2013 turns into a lost season. The Jags will be forced to turn to Cameron Bradfield at left tackle, making matters even more difficult for the two-headed disaster of Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne.