Vin

Bills @ Browns

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131003005&home=5&vis=2

(AP) -- Brian Hoyer's boyhood dream of being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns remains a reality - at least for another week.

The native of suburban Cleveland looks to become the first signal-caller to win his first three NFL starts for the Browns on Thursday night at home against the banged-up but resilient Buffalo Bills.

Cleveland (2-2) has not posted a winning record through five games since it was 3-2 in 2001, but Hoyer has the Browns on the verge of making it happen again. After spending his first three seasons backing up Tom Brady and then throwing 53 passes for Arizona in 2012, the former Cleveland high school star has keyed the Browns' two-week run of success.

Winless through two games and days after trading 2012 third overall selection Trent Richardson to Indianapolis for a 2014 first-round pick, Hoyer got the nod over veteran Jason Campbell to replace injured starter Brandon Weeden at Minnesota in Week 3.

In his second career start, Hoyer overcame three interceptions by throwing for 321 yards and three touchdowns, including a 7-yarder to Jordan Cameron with 51 seconds left for a 31-27 win.

In his home debut Sunday, Hoyer went 25 of 38 for 269 yards with two TDs and no picks in a 17-6 victory over Cincinnati.

"The alternative is bad when you're 0-4 or 1-3 and fighting to try to get into the race," tackle Joe Thomas said. "Sitting at 2-2, it's not where we wanted to be. But after an 0-2 start, it's as good as we could have done. Sitting there with a lot of games to go, but still fighting in the division. You can't ask for any more."

Cleveland will try to continue its run under Hoyer, who will start Thursday even though Weeden is back practicing despite a sprained thumb.

"He played well again (versus Baltimore) and for the past two weeks," coach Rob Chudzinski said. "Obviously, we've been able to win in those games and in a short week we'll get ready and be ready to play Thursday."

The legendary Otto Graham won his first three starts for the Browns in 1946 when the team was part of the All-America Football Conference, and no one else has done so since the franchise joined the NFL in 1950. Chudzinski has not named Hoyer the starter for the remainder of the season, but for now the local boy gets the chance to match Graham's feat and further earn the respect of his teammates.

"Brian's done a nice job for us coming in, providing that spark," Thomas said. "He had two nice games already making the right throws, getting the ball out on time, just making sure everybody's on the same page."

A Cleveland passing attack that ranks 14th in the NFL with 247.8 yards per game has made up for a rushing attack that's 27th at 76.0.

Cameron leads all tight ends with 30 receptions, and his five receiving touchdowns are tied for second overall in the league.

Suspended the first two games for violating the NFL's drug policy, Josh Gordan has caught 14 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown from Hoyer the last two weeks.

Overshadowed by Hoyer's success is a defense that ranks third with an average of 291.5 yards allowed. The Browns kept the Bengals out of the end zone while holding them to 266 yards and a 29 percent conversion rate on third down.

Cleveland's 2.9 yards allowed per run is the best in the NFL, but Buffalo (2-2) is second in the league with 152.0 rushing yards a contest and is averaging 4.1 per carry.

Both Buffalo backs C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson expect to play despite dealing with injuries suffered in a 23-20 win over Baltimore last week.

Spiller, who was nursing a knee injury prior to that contest, hurt his ankle while rushing 23 times for 77 yards against the Ravens.

"If I can get to at least 85 to 90 (percent), I'm going to give it a go," he said of Thursday.

Jackson overcame a sprained knee ligament to record 87 yards and a TD on 16 rushes versus Baltimore.

"Barring any major setback, I'll be able to play," Jackson said. "Right now it's just about strengthening it, doing some rehab type things to get the ligament stronger."

Buffalo receiver Stevie Johnson is dealing with a hamstring injury and the secondary could again be without injured starters Jairus Byrd and Leodis McKelvin.

Still, the Bills remain confident after intercepting Joe Flacco five times and holding the Ravens to 24 rushing yards after giving up 155.0 per game over the first three.

"It just shows you, like I've heard Fred (Jackson) saying, 'We're not the same Bills,'" safety Da'Norris Searcy said. "I would say fans are starting to believe. And we're going to keep believing and keep pushing."

Buffalo has dropped five straight road games but won 24-14 at Cleveland last Sept. 23. Spiller and Johnson each caught touchdown passes in the contest.

Should be an interesting game compared to previous Bills-Browns matchups that had me on the verge of putting a gun in my mouth.

Haden should have no problems with Johnson when he's on him. He does play the slot a bit and could avoid him for a good amount of snaps. Skrine and Woods will be something to watch. Manuel likes to throw his way so Skrine is going to have to hold his own without penalties.

Hoyer definitely cannot throw 5 INTs. Big games have been had by many receivers thus far this season against the Bills and I hope Gordon can do the same.

I'd love to see our Dline rotation shut down the run early.

Cundiff better not suck again. I had a feeling those 2 missed kicks were gonna come back to bite us last week and they nearly did. Let's not test it again.

We should be able to pull it out if we continue to play at the same level we've been for the past two weeks.

:Browns: 23

:Bills: 16

Excited for Browns football 5 games into the season. Man this is weird.

Kiko Alonso will break your mind, soul, body, and spirit.

Oh wait, I'm due for a letdown.

:Browns: 31

:Bills: 10

Haha. Eagles fans have gotten use to that mentality after things look good. You know the let down is coming.

Haden is good, but Stevie even torched Revis, now and again. I don't think Haden can shut him down.

Haden is good, but Stevie even torched Revis, now and again. I don't think Haden can shut him down.

You can't base it off of "Player X beat Player Z so Player X can beat Y." Play styles/techniques matter in these match ups.

• Upvote 2

You're acting like Stevie Johnson is some sort of elite receiver lol. He didn't even do jack shit last Sunday. Miserable fuck actually costed me money in Fanduel with his worthless performance against Baltimore.

:Browns: 24

:Bills: 16

Stevie usually plays pretty well against Revis. I don't quite know what it is, but its happened a lot.

And BJGE, I'm sure he's glad to have done something to upset a pats fan. Remember, he encouraged the Boston bombings.

Edited by blotsfan

Damn, no blizzard for this classic Bills v Browns game?

This will be a close one, Bills are an up and coming team with talent on both sides of the ball. It'll be interesting to see how their running game fairs against our run defense and how Hoyer will manage against a very opportunistic Bills defense in his 3rd start.

Bills 14

Browns 17

Hopefully it's not like the game in 2009 where the score was 6-3.

Edited by NaTaS

I was at that game. I still think that was the worst game in NFL history.

I was at that game. I still think that was the worst game in NFL history.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101101/2009/REG5/browns@bills#tab=recap&menu=highlights

^ Relive it by watching those superb highlights. Derek Anderson 2/17 for 22 yards. Amazing performance.

I'm excited for a Bills and Browns game. Weird. Billy Cundiff could blow it on a field goal, the Bills are missing their two best defensive backs, so there should be a significant amount of offense. The big question is can Stevie Johnson beat Joe Haden, who shut down AJ Green last week. Certainly better than the Derek Anderson vs. Trent Edwards shit show we got a few years back, or Jake Delhomme vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick...

C.J. Spiller (ankle) is active for Week 5 against the Browns.

As is Fred Jackson (knee), and LCB Leodis McKelvin (hamstring). FS Jairus Byrd (feet) remains sidelined. Speaking late Thursday afternoon, Bills coach Doug Marrone said he "feels good" about Spiller's status, suggesting he won't be on a rigid snap count. Marrone has fudged the truth in the past, however. The truth is, it's a hard situation to predict with both Spiller and F-Jax at less than 100 percent. Spiller is a boom-or-bust FLEX option, while Jackson is just a desperation play. It's possible Tashard Choice will see 8-10 touches.
Also inactive for the Bills are K Dustin Hopkins, CB Stephon Gilmore, CB Ron Brooks, OT Sam Young, WR Marquise Goodwin and TE Chris Gragg.

Brandon Weeden (thumb) is active for Week 5 against the Bills.

RG Shawn Lauvao (ankle) is active and making his season debut. OLB Jabaal Sheard (knee) is inactive. Weeden returns to the 46-man roster as Brian Hoyer's clear backup. Hoyer would likely need to struggle for at least 2-3 games before the Browns considered switching back to their soon-to-be 30 year old 2012 first rounder.
Also inactive for the Browns are QB Jason Campbell, RB Fozzy Whittaker, C Patrick Lewis, OT Martin Wallace and LB Quentin Groves.

:Bills: 13

:Browns: 20

Bills: 24

Browns:16

2 catches for 19 yards. Superb performance. :yao:

2 catches for 19 yards. Superb performance. :yao:

Bware will argue "but, but he only played one half!"

Man, even when I expect us to get blown out, it still ends up worse than I expected

Why have we won more games than we've lost? Why aren't we talking about draft QB's? Who shot JFK? Why am I asking YOU all these questions?

:Browns: >>>>>> :NFL:

Well a win is nice but at what cost.

Hoyer having potential ligament damage is tough. We'll have to wait and see but that is costly.

Weeden filled in nicely. I have defended Weeden before and probably will continue to. If he wasn't as old as he is (and Hoyer wasn't playing like he was) I would not mind sticking it out with him at all.

Hopefully Hoyers injury is nothing serious and he can get back on the field soon.

You take away the long TD Run and the Bills end up with about 100 yards between Spiller, Jackson, Choice and Manuel. Not bad. We made em throw the ball.

Johnson went out early with nothing and Woods ended up with a decent game. Targeted probably 15 times and covered by Haden/Skrine for 5 receptions.

Cundiff didn't miss a kick. Bravo.

All around pretty good effort by everyone.

• Upvote 1