Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Lions @ Packers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131006009&home=9&vis=8

(AP) -- The Detroit Lions are heading to Lambeau Field atop the NFC North. Guaranteeing they stay there will require them to break another extensive road losing streak.

Two weeks after winning at Washington for the first time in 21 tries, the Lions will try to snap a 22-game Wisconsin skid against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

Nineteen of those losses came at Lambeau while three were played in Milwaukee. The Lions' last road win against the Packers was Dec. 15, 1991 in Green Bay, and they'll look to snap that slide after ending a nearly 68-year drought at Washington with a 27-20 victory Sept. 22.

"It's the same mindset we have every time we play a road game," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "Lambeau's a tough environment but it's no different than any other place."

This will be a matchup of two of the three NFL teams averaging at least 400 yards of offense and 30 points.

Stafford and the Lions moved into a tie for first with a 40-32 home win over Chicago on Sunday. Detroit turned in its best rushing performance of the year, finishing with 159 yards after totaling 112 the previous two weeks.

Reggie Bush had his best game with the Lions, running for 139 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries.

The Packers rank eighth in rush defense at 93.3 yards allowed per game, though they're 28th against the pass at 311.0. Stafford's top target, Calvin Johnson, has 21 catches and 362 receiving yards in his last two visits to Green Bay.

The Packers could have starting safety Morgan Burnett back to help hold the Lions' offense in check. He missed the first three games with a hamstring injury.

"They have a very explosive offense," Burnett said. "They've got a lot of weapons with Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush; they've got (Brandon) Pettigrew at tight end, you've got Matthew Stafford at quarterback. They've got weapons, so you've got to trust your defense, trust your technique. You can't get out of line with guessing or anything, because they're a good team."

Hamstring injuries have left the statuses of linebacker Clay Matthews and cornerback Casey Hayward uncertain, though Matthews was back at full speed in practice Thursday and plans to play.

Stafford threw for 242 yards with a touchdown and interception against the Bears, and he wasn't asked to do much after the Lions built a 30-13 halftime lead.

Detroit's defense forced four turnovers for the second time this year with an effective pass rush, sacking Jay Cutler three times to double his season total. The Lions, though, were outscored 16-3 in the fourth quarter as Cutler threw for two TDs, and rattling Aaron Rodgers hasn't been quite as easy for Detroit.

The Packers are 8-1 against the Lions with Rodgers starting, with the loss coming in a game he was knocked out of Dec. 12, 2010.

Green Bay is third in the league with 454.7 yards per game and second in scoring average at 32.0 points.

Running back Eddie Lacy hopes to have the chance to help sustain those gaudy numbers. He was at practice early in the week after being sidelined by a concussion sustained Sept. 15 in a 38-20 victory over Washington.

Without Lacy, however, the Packers have had a 100-yard rusher in back-to-back games after going the previous 44 without one.

"I'm fully aware of how we're viewed, but the reality is how our offense is implemented in practice and how we train, it starts with the run game," coach Mike McCarthy said. "Now, the way the games are played has a lot to do with the trend and the flow of the football game. Running the football is important."

James Starks ran for 132 yards against the Redskins and Johnathan Franklin had 103 on Sept. 22, though Green Bay lost 34-30 at Cincinnati the week before its bye.

Rodgers' 105.1 passer rating is among the league leaders, but the Bengals were able to get to him and create mistakes. They sacked him four times and forced him into two of his three interceptions this year, while holding him to 244 yards passing.

Rodgers had surpassed 250 passing yards in seven straight games since the Lions held him to 173 in a 27-20 victory Dec. 9.

The Packers have won nine in a row at home, with Rodgers getting picked off just four times in that span. Snapping streaks, though, isn't the main motivator for Lions coach Jim Schwartz.

"No. 1, it would be our fourth win of the year," he said. "No. 2, it would make us 3-0 in our division. It would give us another chance to put a loss on a division opponent. We certainly want to end the streak (in Wisconsin), but that's not our rallying cry. Our rallying cry is 'Green Bay' and 'division game.' Those are the things that will mean more to the players."

Detroit added veteran receiver Kevin Ogletree on Wednesday a day after he was cut by Tampa Bay. He adds much-needed depth for the Lions in the absence of No. 2 receiver Nate Burleson, out indefinitely with a broken left arm

The Pack don't lose at home.

Packers: 31

Lions: 21

I have to agree with Cheesehead here, the Packers rarely drop home games. And Rodgers will likely expose that secondary worse than his own defense gets exposed.

:Lions: 31

:Packers: 38

Another potential game of the week. The Packers desperately need to string some wins together. It will be a high scoring affair, but I think Eddie Lacy is going to do some work on the ground.

:Packers: 42

:Lions: 35

Another potential game of the week. The Packers desperately need to string some wins together. It will be a high scoring affair, but I think Eddie Lacy is going to do some work on the ground.

:Packers: 42

:Lions: 35

Damn, I hope the Packers can score that many points in the game.

I picked the Packers to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl. This is as close to a must win as it gets for GB this early. Both the Bears and the Lions are looking good this year and a WC spot might not be that easy to come by either

38-31 Packers

Reggie Boosh gonna go crayyyyyyy.

Aaron Rodgers is gonna have a near perfect QBR and carve our helpless secondary apart. Lions fans are going to be all put on suicidal watch again.

38-27 Packers.

:(

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Calvin Johnson (knee) is inactive for Week 5 against the Packers.

Johnson has made a habit of barely practicing but still playing, but couldn't get in the lineup even after "(pushing) hard to play," according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It suggests he will be dicey for Week 6, as well. It's a major downgrade for the Lions' entire offense, including Matthew Stafford, who is now just a borderline QB1. It places a huge load on the shoulders of Ryan Broyles, who was held catch-less in his first real action of the season in Week 4. He's the only Lions receiver worth taking a flier on. CB Chris Houston is active.
Also inactive for the Lions are WR Nate Burleson, QB Kellen Moore, RB Mikel Leshoure, CB Jonte Green, OG Leroy Harris and OT LaAdrian Waddle.

Packers declared CB Casey Hayward, RB James Starks, LB Nate Palmer, G/C Greg Van Roten, TE Brandon Bostick, DE Josh Boyd and DE C.J. Wilson inactive for Week 5 against the Lions.

Eddie Lacy (concussion) is active and carrying the load, though fellow rookie Johnathan Franklin should be in for a change-of-pace role after showing well in Lacy's absence in Week 3. Starks is week to week. He could be returning to the No. 3 perch of the depth chart if Franklin has another solid game Sunday.

CJ being out s huge. don't see how the Lions are even gong to make this one close without him.

40 year old Anquan Boldin and Mr. Sanu from Cincy have destroyed us so far. While those guys are far from awful, you don't need to have CJ level talent to find the holes in our defense. My guess is there will be a lot of room for Barry Sanders to run today.

40 year old Anquan Boldin and Mr. Sanu from Cincy have destroyed us so far. While those guys are far from awful, you don't need to have CJ level talent to find the holes in our defense. My guess is there will be a lot of room for Barry Sanders to run today.

I hope you are wrong. If the Lions can develop a passing game then Reggie Bush could run all over us.

I hope you are wrong. If the Lions can develop a passing game then Reggie Bush could run all over us.

Reggie Bush might be the passing game. Getting him the ball in screens and wheel routes might be (should be) a huge part of Detroit's game plan.

I dunno who the hell Patrick Edward is or why Kevin Ogletree has a first down, but we eventually got the stop. I will take the bend but not break approach... for now.

Great catch by Cobb.

That looked like PI to me, but I didn't get a great look at it. 3 - 0 Green Bay.

Mike Neal with a huge play on Reggie Bush in the back field that set the tone for that series. Always been a fan of Neal, and I enjoy seeing him play well. Little weird seeing him stand up now, though.

Lions bail us out on 4th down. Lol

Perfect kick off the leg of Crosby form 52 yards out. Thank you. 6 - 0 with a ton of wasted opportunities by the Packers.