Sign in to follow this  
BUCK3Y3

Minnesota HC suffer yet another seizure.

Kiel needs to give it up. I think his illness is a huge distraction for his players. While I sympathize with the guy I don't think hes well enough to be coaching Division 1 Football. It's a stressful job.

I agree, it is sad that he has this condition but to coach at such a high level as D1 you really have to give 110% of your attention and he can't with a seizure disorder.

Epilepsy is a helluva disorder. Feel terrible for the guy. Minnesota may have to step in and relieve him from his job for the better of both sides.

While I agree, does that make them look like complete assholes?

I don't think it does. I think the majority of people feel he should retire. Of course the media could spin up a nice story and make Minnesota seem heartless.

I like Kill, but this is worrisome. It may be a lose-lose situation regardless of how we handle this.

Minnesota won with Kill still acting somewhat in a coaching capacity. He was in the booth for the game, and supposedly talked with the players at halftime. I think the Gophers like playing for Kill, so I think we should keep him. It's not like we will find a better coach out there right now.

Very impressed with the Gophers today. Nelson was efficient (not great), and he had a touchdown stripped from him by an atrocious call. The rushing game picked it up, but that may be because Northwestern isn't a stout run defense(?). Our defense played REALLY well, and Hageman is a monster. I'm hopeful for an 8-9 win season.

With or without Kill, this is one given: the Gophers suck, and badly. I doubt they'd beat more than 2-3 top 10 FCS teams. They're that bad. They're limited on offense to the point that they actually thought Marquis Gray was a QB for a couple of years lol. They're improving under Kill, but by God is it slow.

Edited by BwareDWare94

They'd still probably beat FCS opponents. You're acting like they're the worst team in the FBS, and that's not the case. Are they good? No. They are solidly middle of the pack.

They'd still probably beat FCS opponents. You're acting like they're the worst team in the FBS, and that's not the case. Are they good? No. They are solidly middle of the pack.

Any of the top 5 FCS teams would beat Minnesota, and 2-3 of them would probably trounce them.

Any of the top 5 FCS teams would beat Minnesota, and 2-3 of them would probably trounce them.

On what grounds do you make this claim?

On what grounds do you make this claim?

I make this claim upon having watched NDSU, Northern Iowa, Eastern Washington, Georgia Southern, Southern Illinois, South Dakota State, etc, and there are a lot of East Coast teams currently in the ranking. Villanova, Fordham, Coastal Carolina, etc.

1. North Dakota State

2. Sam Houston State

3. Eastern Illinois

4. Eastern Washington

5. Montana State

6. Coastal Carolina

7. Towson

8. Fordham

9. McNeese State

10. Montana

11. Northern Iowa

12. Villanova

13. Wofford

14. Maine

15. South Dakota State

I would confidently bet on NDSU, Northern Iowa, and Eastern Washington beating Minnesota by double digits, and I would bet on Sam Houston, McNeese State, Montana, Villanova, Wofford, and South Dakota State to beat the Gophers.

Aside from having shitty quarterbacks, Minnesota can't compete with better FBS teams. The best of the FCS would beat the Gophers.

See, you're not really presenting an argument. You're just listing off teams from the FCS that you have watched and saying they are better than Minnesota. Can we compare their stats? No; Minnesota has played a cake schedule but is still a FBS team, and all of those teams play in the FCS. So, essentially, this argument comes down to "what we have watched", which is a shit basis for an argument. The only point I'll disagree with you on is that the FCS teams you have listed would rape Minnesota. There's a possibility that they could win; but, I think you're severely overrating some of those teams and underselling a much-improved Gophers team.

Edited by Vikingfan465

What is there to underrate when Minnesota's QBs are both...bad? They're not going to dominate with the run against the teams that I think would rape them.

Edited by BwareDWare94

What is there to underrate when Minnesota's QBs are both...bad? They're not going to dominate with the run against the teams that I think would rape them.

And you have provided no evidence or actual substance as to why said teams would potentially rape Minnesota. Thus far, Minnesota's run game is 28th in the country. It has faltered against Iowa, who is 16th in the country in stopping the run. It certainly didn't dominate Michigan, but they still failed at shutting it down (as opposed to Iowa, who flat out annihilated our run game).

Our QBs are streaky and by no means good, but if they are asked to manage a game then I do believe Nelson or Leidner can do that. AGAIN, I AM BY NO MEANS SAYING THEY ARE GOOD EVEN WHEN THEY ARE BEING CONSISTENT. I'M SAYING THAT THEY CAN BE EFFECTIVE AT KEEPING DRIVES GOING. We beat Northwestern because they were missing two key offensive weapons - I won't refute that. They had their defense mostly in tact, as far as I know, and while they aren't an elite pass defense, they force turnovers. Right now, they are tied for 2nd most passes intercepted (13 INTs on 266 attempts against them). None of those came from Nelson. Let me reiterate, NELSON IS NOT A QB WHO WILL WIN US BIG GAMES OR BRING US TO GLORY. But if he is being efficient, he can be efficient. I'm not typing "loud" to make my point seem more assertive, I'm just trying to prevent anyone reading this from assuming I'm some homer who thinks our QBs are God's gift to mankind.

EDIT: Nelson's statline from yesterday: 8/11, 112 yards, 1 TD, 10.2 YPA. He had another touchdown stripped away from him from a pretty terrible pass interference call. To put that call into perspective, it was a pick play and the WR's defender ran into his teammate. They called OPI on that.

Edited by Vikingfan465

North Dakota State is a top 1-AA team, but they still only beat K-State by one score. I think they would lose to K-State more than they'd win. It was definitely an impressive victory, but to claim they'd trounce any BCS conference team other than kansas is a stretch.

So this thread went from Coach having seizures to Minnesota being worse than FCS teams. How the hell did that happen?

Edited by BUCK3Y3

So this thread went from Coach having seizures to Minnesota being worse than FCS teams. How the hell did that happen?

:shrug: