Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Redskins @ Cowboys

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131013006&home=6&vis=28

(AP) -- Despite a record-setting performance from Tony Romo, a late interception and the Dallas Cowboys' inability to get stops ultimately cost them last weekend.

If last year's efforts against Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins are any indication, the Cowboys could have their hands full again Sunday night.

Dallas tries to avoid a third consecutive loss and third in a row to the visiting Redskins, who are hoping to see RG3 return to form following their bye.

Romo went 25 of 36 for a franchise-record 506 yards and career high-tying five touchdowns last Sunday, but his INT with under two minutes left set Denver up for a game-ending field goal and a 51-48 victory.

Jason Witten, Dez Bryant and rookie Terrance Williams combined for 413 receiving yards and four scores.

"Romo played the best game that I've ever seen him play in his career - not only from the standpoint of how he executed, not only how he created plays, but his leadership," owner Jerry Jones told the team's official website. "If we can have that type of play from him and others, especially on the offensive side of the ball, I think we'll win most of our football games left."

The Cowboys, though, will almost certainly need to shore things up defensively if they hope to avoid losing three straight for the first time since a five-game skid Oct. 10-Nov. 7, 2010. Dallas, which surrendered 506 yards of total offense in a 30-21 loss at San Diego in Week 4 before giving up 517 to the Broncos, ranks 28th in total defense with 409.2 yards allowed per game.

"The fact that we weren't able to win when the offense scored 48 points is absolutely unacceptable," linebacker Sean Lee said. "Right now, we're not a good defense. Two weeks in a row, we've given up way too many points and way too many yards. Until we get better, we're not going to win."

The Cowboys also encountered their fair share of issues against the Redskins (1-3) last season, allowing 66 total points in a pair of losses. While Griffin hasn't looked the same since tearing his ACL in the playoffs, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is preparing for what he believes will be a difficult matchup.

"He's certainly coming off of that knee injury, there's no question about that," Garrett said. "He's wearing that brace. You do see him throw the ball from the pocket, but again, he's made plays on the move. He's a dangerous football player, there's no question about that."

"It's a real challenge. ... and he's a big part of it."

After rushing for 815 yards and seven touchdowns in his stellar rookie season, Griffin has run the ball just 18 times for 72 yards thus far. The former Baylor standout, though, feels rejuvenated after getting five days off during the bye week and could start to use his legs more going forward.

"The only way to come back from an injury like that is to play," Griffin said. "I feel good about what we were able to do from a groundwork standpoint, building up each game. But now it's time for us to make that breakthrough, and we have to do it.

"Whenever you set a precedent of how you are going to play week-in, week-out like we did last year, there's going to be high expectations because that's what you want. I don't think we've disappointed anybody more than ourselves the first four weeks of the season."

The Redskins entered their bye with some momentum after winning 24-14 at Oakland on Sept. 29. Griffin threw for 227 yards and a score and was turnover-free for the first time this year.

Despite its record, Washington is one-half game behind Dallas and Philadelphia for first place in the wide-open NFC East.

"The start of the season didn't go the way we wanted to, but we got the win before the bye, and that's what we've got to keep doing," Griffin said. "We know we can still go out and win this division. We've got to take it one week at a time, and it starts with the Cowboys."

Alfred Morris appears good to go after leaving Week 4's win with bruised ribs. While the second-year running back is averaging 5.3 yards per carry, he has received just 14.0 rushing attempts per game, way down from last season's mark of 20.9.

Morris ran for 313 yards and four touchdowns against Dallas last year.

With Cowboys receiver Miles Austin (hamstring) out the last two weeks, Williams has stepped up with 11 receptions for 222 yards and a score.

"I think how he's playing with more confidence shows up anywhere," Garrett said of Williams, one of Griffin's favorite targets at Baylor. "He beats defenders. He catches the ball and makes contested catches."

Austin returned to practice Wednesday and could play in this game.

Dallas is 17-4 at home against Washington since 1992.

:Redskins: 34

:Cowboys: 31

In a game with this much potential for high scoring, anything is possible. I like Washington here to muddy the waters even more.

Romo don't make the mistake against the horrible Redskins defense.

Redskins: 21

Cowboys: 31

I'm taking the Redskins in this one and I agree with Kemp. I expect a shootout.

:Redskins: 35

:Cowboys: 34

Cowboys are gonna roll. RG3 is never gonna be the same and Kirk Cousins should be starting immediately. >_>

Redskins TE Jordan Reed (quad) is active for Sunday night's Week 6 game against the Cowboys.

Reed was a full participant in practice this week and will return as the primary pass-catching tight end over Fred Davis.
The Redskins inactives are RB Chris Thompson, FS Bacarri Rambo, QB Rex Grossman, FS Jordan Pugh, OLB Brandon Jenkins, LG Josh LeRibeus, and NT Chris Neild.

Miles Austin (hamstring) is active for Sunday night's Week 6 game against the Redskins.

Austin is expected to start opposite Dez Bryant in two-wide sets, but will likely be rotated with Terrance Williams. He's a boom-or-bust WR3.
Inactive for the Cowboys are RB Lance Dunbar, OL Phil Costa, TE Andre Smith, CB Chris Greenwood, DE Edgar Jones, LG David Arkin, and OT Darrion Weems.

Mo Claiborne playing much better this week. Haven't even heard his name.

The NFL can't keep screwing teams with these awful QB rules. Officials don't even get them right (as evidenced by the two bullshit personal fouls on Barry Church) and Washington is only in this game because of two plays that shouldn't have been penalties.

This can't be real. Come on. How, in any way, is Dallas not the better team on this field? Stop fucking them over, Walt Coleman.

Guest Phailadelphia

Soooo mad the Lions didn't grab Williams in the second.

The light clicked for him in the last couple weeks. Starting to look like a steal.

Lost in Dallas' defensive struggles is the ascendance of the two best corners in the NFC East. I know that doesn't sound like it's saying much, but I would argue that Brandon Carr and Orlando Scandrick are significantly better than everybody else. Both players have been absolute blankets for about 95% of the game. They maybe allow 1-2 receptions a game, but it's always for minimal yardage. Orlando Scandrick has to be the top slot corner in the league, at this point. A week ago he shut down Welker for his second consecutive matchup with Welker, and unfortunately for Scandrick, Welker was able to score short TDs in both games because of Brady and Manning. Either way, in his last two matchups against Orlando Scandrick, Wes Welker has barely topped 100 yards combined. And last night, Santana Moss might as well have stayed in DC. Scandrick took him out of the game. Carr did the same to Garcon.

And Mo's making progress these last two weeks. I hope he keeps it up.

The second pf by Church was a pf. He gave him a shot in the head when he was out of bounds.

The first was ridiculous.

The second pf by Church was a pf. He gave him a shot in the head when he was out of bounds.

The first was ridiculous.

I disagree. It was a small shot, completely harmless shot. Happens all the time without a flag.

It was a blow to the head of a QB after he was out of bounds. If you dont think that's going to be called, you haven't been watching football for the past two years.

It was also completely unnecessary and was clearly delivered as a cheap shot just to hit RG3.

Edited by Thanatos19

Guest Phailadelphia

Man there's something wrong with RG3. Can't even make routine throws anymore.

Out of all the young first year starters from last year (Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, Tannehill, and Weeden), it would be statistically abnormal for only one to not work out long term. It's way too soon to tell, but perhaps RGIII will join Weeden as a young signal caller that doesn't ever truly "arrive." I certainly have no interest in that happening, but perhaps we're seeing the beginning of it.

If it happens, Washington is boned. They invested so much in the kid... creating a competitive roster WITH him panning out will be a healthy challenge. But without that? Forget about it.

To be fair to RG3, it's not entirely his fault but he is to blame for some of it. His receivers haven't been getting open and his o-line could be better. They also have one of the worst defenses in the league. He's definitely not the RG3 from last year even though his mobility is beginning to return but his accuracy and football mechanics seemed to regress in a large way. I was one that wasn't too high on Rg3 in year 2. I said the talent is there but was skeptical. Luck is proving to be the real deal out of the bunch. Wilson is playing okay and Tannehill has improved.

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah that's what I was getting at--his mechanics and accuracy are way off. Which are very fixable things, and I bet a lot of it has to do with a lack of confidence in that knee.

Yeah that's what I was getting at--his mechanics and accuracy are way off. Which are very fixable things, and I bet a lot of it has to do with a lack of confidence in that knee.

After seeing him run yesterday, planting his feet correctly and throwing shouldn't be a problem. He didn't quite have that second gear like he did last year but he was running fast enough. However though, you could be right. He might be able to but his psyche is singing a different tune.

I got so sick of the excuses (from analysts, not you guys) last night.

"RG3 just isn't the same."

Yes he is, or he's damn close. There's a difference between being an established NFL commodity that's dominant and being a rookie with an strange skill set that opposing coaching staffs don't know how to defend in that first year. The guy is fine. His teammates aren't fantastic. He's not going to be able to run like he did last year again during his career. It's that simple.

"The Redskins gotta stop beating themselves."

When an opposing team has excellent blocking on two return plays, as well as a defense that forces turnovers and holds you to 16 points, that other team beats you. The Cowboys were dominant last night with a practice squad DL and Romo and Dez having an off night.

I've had enough of this shit. This Redskins team is bad. B-A-D, bad. The NFL needs to deal with the fact that its darling is friggin' human. Want to blame someone? Blame Alfred Morris for not having the tenacity he did last year. Blame Will Montgomery for not dominating for a second year in a row. There's a lot of work that needs to be done in DC before the Redskins are a consistently good team.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1