Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Colts @ Chargers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131014024&home=24&vis=11

(AP) -- Even if the AFC South-leading Indianapolis Colts were feeling a bit overconfident, Andrew Luck says coach Chuck Pagano wouldn't allow it.

Indianapolis is remaining grounded through its early success and will seek a fourth consecutive victory in Monday night's road matchup with the inconsistent San Diego Chargers.

Luck is the first Colts quarterback other than Peyton Manning to lead the team to sole possession of first place since his former Stanford mentor and current San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh had 4-0 Indianapolis atop the AFC East for the week of Oct. 13, 1996.

The second-year star finished 16 of 29 for 229 yards and two touchdowns in last week's 34-28 win over previously unbeaten Seattle, helping the Colts (4-1) erase a five-point deficit heading into the fourth quarter.

"I don't think it's in the DNA of a Pagano-coached team to hang your head or to get too high when you're doing something well," Luck said. "His approach is very methodical."

Pagano believes his team understands the season is still young. Following this game, the Colts will face Denver in Manning's return to Indianapolis next week before their bye. They then visit two-time defending South champion Houston on Nov. 3.

"I don't think you'll see any of these guys walk around with their chest puffed out like a robin, walking around the yard after a big rain storm, bunch of worms out there, all robin-ed up," Pagano said. "We're not going there. We'll keep reminding them it's a short ride from the penthouse to the outhouse."

The Colts rank fourth in the league with 142.0 rushing yards per game, but they suffered a blow after learning Ahmad Bradshaw opted for surgery on his injured neck and will miss the rest of the season.

He sat out last week as Trent Richardson ran 18 times for 56 yards and Donald Brown added 37 and a touchdown. The Chargers, who rank 24th with an average of 117.2 rushing yards allowed per game, are expecting Richardson to carry the load again Monday.

"He's a powerful runner that a lot of times doesn't go down with the first hit," linebacker Larry English said. "We have to do a great job this week tackling, we've talked about that. We need 11 players rallying to the ball and playing aggressive defense."

San Diego (2-3) held Oakland to 299 yards last week, but it committed five turnovers and couldn't overcome a 17-point halftime deficit in a 27-17 defeat.

"It doesn't matter what level you're at, when you turn the ball over five times, it's tough to win games," coach Mike McCoy said.

Philip Rivers finished 35 of 48 for 411 yards and two touchdowns in his third 400-yard game of the season, but he also tossed three interceptions after throwing two in the previous four contests.

The Chargers lost two fumbles, and running back Ryan Mathews suffered a concussion that could possibly keep him from playing Monday. If he can't go, Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown will be tasked with helping improve a running game that finished with 32 yards on 19 carries last week.

Indianapolis has forced 10 turnovers, but it ranks 30th in the NFL with an average of 129.0 rushing yards allowed.

"They play great team defense," Brown said. "They always have that bend-but-don't-break mentality, so on offense we have to go in and not give them any extra possessions. We have to make sure to hold onto the ball and take care of our fundamentals."

San Diego has forced only two turnovers this season and ranks 27th in the league with 406.0 yards allowed per game, and it knows it has a tough task ahead in trying to contain Luck.

"He can definitely run and move out of that pocket, but he'd rather sit back there and throw the ball," defensive end Corey Liuget said. "He's a heck of a quarterback."

Defensive end Lawrence Guy blocked a field that was returned for a touchdown for Indianapolis last week, but the Colts released him less than 24 hours later. The Chargers claimed Guy off waivers Monday.

San Diego has won five of the last six meetings, including twice in the postseason. Rivers went 19 of 23 for 185 yards in a 36-14 victory in the most recent matchup Nov. 28, 2010, at Indianapolis.

:Colts: 27

:Chargers: 28

Because this headache of a team loses the the ones they're supposed to win and wins the ones they're supposed to lose.

I have Andrew Luck as my QB this week in fantasy so I am hoping for a big game from him.

Colts: 30

Chargers: 20

Should be an exciting game, but it's getting to the point where I want to take the Colts week after week. How the heck are the Chargers gonna pressure on Luck with Freeney and Ingram gone? How the hell do they stop Robert Mathis, who is having a career resurgence right now? It's not gonna be easy for the Chargers.

:Colts: 31

:Chargers: 27

Apparently every team this season to play the Seahawks has lost the following week. Theory goes that it's a let down game after getting up for a big game and then dealing with the physical beating of playing Seattle. But it wasn't at all true last season so it's probably just a bunch of bull...

Realistically, there's no reason we should win this game other than coming out on the right end of a shootout. Indy's corners have been playing well on the outside, but we can take advantage of the middle of the field. Looks like the OL will be healthier, which is good. And Mathews is practicing, so we could have some semblance of balance. I just picked us because it seems that's what we do this season... surprise no matter what we're supposed to do.

I picked the Colts in Pick'Em so it'd be stupid to not do it here but yeah this is a very trap worthy game for them. But I gotta stay decisive, can't pull a Bware :troll:

:Colts: 33

:Chargers: 27

Camping only wears the most elegant flip flops.

• Upvote 1

Because this headache of a team loses the the ones they're supposed to win and wins the ones they're supposed to lose.

What games have the Chargers won that they were suppose to lose? Dallas can't be considered one of them because that comment personifies Dallas more than any other team.

I'm taking the Colts in this one. Luck and crew is one fire and I'm loving the way their defense is playing. I think they carry the momentum from a huge comeback win against the Seahawks.

:Colts: 28

:Chargers: 20

Edited by dutchff7

What games have the Chargers won that they were suppose to lose? Dallas can't be considered one of them because that comment personifies Dallas more than any other team.

I'm taking the Colts in this one. Luck and crew is one fire and I'm loving the way their defense is playing. I think they carry the momentum from a huge comeback win against the Seahawks.

According to Vegas, we were supposed to lose both to Dallas and Philly. We were supposed to beat Oakland.

I like the Chargers in this one. I think they're going to come out strong after a dissapointing loss to the Raiders last week.

According to Vegas, we were supposed to lose both to Dallas and Philly. We were supposed to beat Oakland.

I don't think those games were nearly as one sided having the perception that those were suppose to me "gimmie" games for Philly or Dallas. If the Chargers were playing a team like the Patriots, Broncos or Saints and won, then I think that perception label would apply to them. Not for playing Philly or Dallas with both teams being as bad / or inconsistent as they are.The Chargers beating Oakland was suppose to be a gimme game. I don't think the Colts and Chargers have that same outlook even if majority are picking the Colts.

I don't think those games were nearly as one sided having the perception that those were suppose to me "gimmie" games for Philly or Dallas. If the Chargers were playing a team like the Patriots, Broncos or Saints and won, then I think that perception label would apply to them. Not for playing Philly or Dallas with both teams being as bad / or inconsistent as they are.The Chargers beating Oakland was suppose to be a gimme game. I don't think the Colts and Chargers have that same outlook even if majority are picking the Colts.

It's the same in that the Colts are giving points just like Dallas and Philly were. Feel free to pick the Colts. That's the smart money anyways.

This is a complete gut call. But... San Diego.

I think after a loss to a division rival they should have won, they will win. Plus the Chargers have been loss-win-loss-win-loss so now its time for a win.

:Chargers: 30

Chargers ILB Donald Butler (groin) and OLB Jarret Johnson (hamstring) are inactive for Monday night's Week 6 game against the Colts.

Both players were listed as questionable. The Chargers' other two questionable players, RT D.J. Fluker (calf) and CB Richard Marshall (groin), are active. Manti Te'o will call the defensive plays with Butler out.
The Chargers other inactives are LG Chad Rinehart (toe), S Brandon Taylor, T Mike Remmers, DE Lawrence Guy, and QB Brad Sorensen. Ryan Mathews (concussion) is active.

Colts declared SS LaRon Landry, OLB Bjoern Werner, RB Dan Herron, C Khaled Holmes, T Xavier Nixon, DT Montori Hughes, and ILB Kavell Conner inactive for Monday night's Week 6 game against the Chargers.

Nor surprises here. Landry has an ankle injury but is expected to have a decent chance of returning next week. Delano Howell will start in his place once again. Werner is dealing with a foot issue. OLB Erik Walden (elbow) was listed as questionable but will play. The Colts are relatively healthy.

Chargers going to be missing starters at both OLB spots, ILB, LG, and both WR spots. We ain't got time fo dat.

The match up I'm interested in is the Colts defense vs Phillip Rivers. The Colts defense has played great so far but they haven't went against a Phillip Rivers caliber QB yet. He can be somewhat Jekyll and Hydish at times but he is a great passer nonetheless and is always a threat going into the game.

Yeah other than their passing attack, the only thing the Chargers got going for them in this matchup is coming off that 10 point loss to OAK and IND coming off a big win against SEA — with DEN staring at them next week aka trap game.

This game's mantra: Eight minute drive and a field goal.

We controlled the clock, ran the ball just enough, and Rivers to Allen was money all night. Love that kid. The front seven played well and the secondary got help via 5 dropped passes. Quality win.

AFCW is now 17-5. And all but two of those games have come outside of the division. Making a NFC West like turnaround.

AFCW is now 17-5. And all but two of those games have come outside of the division. Making a NFC West like turnaround.

Oakland's got 4 losses. You're 17-7

Edited by BwareDWare94

This game's mantra: Eight minute drive and a field goal.

We controlled the clock, ran the ball just enough, and Rivers to Allen was money all night. Love that kid. The front seven played well and the secondary got help via 5 dropped passes. Quality win.

Haha love your sig, was cracking up at the time.