Vin

Bucs @ Falcons

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131020001&home=1&vis=27

(AP) -- The Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have had plenty of trouble staying healthy during their difficult starts to this season, but the Falcons suffered perhaps the most significant loss before their bye week.

Atlanta won't have leading receiver Julio Jones available for the rest of the year, beginning with its attempt to keep the visiting Buccaneers winless Sunday.

The Falcons (1-4) lost Jones to a foot injury that required surgery, and a number of other players' statuses are unknown for the team's return from its week off. Fellow receiver Roddy White has been dealing with hamstring and ankle problems, and running back Steven Jackson has missed three straight games because of an ailing hamstring.

One of Atlanta's other running backs, Jason Snelling, suffered a concussion in a 30-28 loss to the New York Jets on Oct. 7 but could return this week. Left tackle Sam Baker was forced to sit out that game with a knee injury, and the Falcons are also missing linebackers Akeem Dent (ankle) and Sean Weatherspoon (foot).

"We're in a difficult streak with injuries right now, but I think as coaches we look at it as a challenge," offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter said. "No one thinks you have a chance right now, so let's try to figure out a way to get this done."

Jones' absence and White's potential one could mean that Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan might have to continue to rely on veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez as his top target. Gonzalez has 22 catches for 246 yards and two touchdowns in the last two games.

The Buccaneers (0-5) are still dealing with the effects of an outbreak of MRSA, a staph infection that is resistant to many antibiotics. Guard Carl Nicks was forced to have surgery on his foot because of his infection and kicker Lawrence Tynes remains out.

"Whatever the distractions are, we collectively have to push them to the side," coach Greg Schiano said. "It doesn't mean you don't care about them. It doesn't mean you don't do the things that are needed to be done. But we're here for a reason. To win football games. We need to do that. We haven't, but we're going to."

A third infected player, rookie cornerback Johnthan Banks, was cleared to play in a 31-20 defeat to Philadelphia last Sunday. With rookie quarterback Mike Glennon making his second start, Tampa Bay trailed 21-20 early in the fourth quarter before allowing the Eagles to pull away.

Glennon threw for 273 yards and two touchdowns while getting picked off once. He had 193 yards, one TD and two interceptions in his pro debut, a 13-10 defeat to Arizona on Sept. 29.

The Buccaneers have suffered three of their five losses by three points or fewer during their worst start since beginning 0-7 in 2009.

"Every team is going through their issues," Schiano said. "We need to find a way to get it done, and that's what we need to do this week."

All four of the Falcons losses, meanwhile, have been by seven points or fewer.

"We've got to do what we've got to do to stay close as a team so we can turn this thing around," wide receiver Harry Douglas said. "You can't moan and complain. You can't point fingers. And that's one thing we do a great job of. We've owned up to the mistakes we've made in games. Now we just have to turn the ship around."

Atlanta has won seven of the last nine matchups with its NFC South rivals but fell 22-17 at home in the most recent one Dec. 30. Doug Martin had a 40-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter and finished with 142 yards for the Buccaneers.

Martin has been limited to a combined 112 yards in the past two contests, and the status of receiver Mike Williams is unknown after he missed last week's game due to a sore hamstring.

Vincent Jackson had nine catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns with Williams out after registering 10 receptions, 138 yards and no TDs in his previous three games.

:Bucs: 24

:Falcons: 21

I don't think Ryan will be able to do much with everything that's stacked against him. No running game to really speak of, terrible protection, plus missing Jones and potentially White as well. The Bucs should be able to blitz comfortably without fear of getting burned too bad. And Glennon actually looked competent last week.

Should be a tough game game as the Falcons cannot run the football. I think that leaves Matt Ryan to do his magic on his own.

Buccaneers: 17

Falcons: 20

The Falcons have been terrible, but the Bucs have been worse. I see no reason that the Falcons don't walk away with this one. I think Harry Douglas has a big game.

:Falcons: 31

:Bucs: 15

• Upvote 1

We have a great chance to win this game. The Falcons are extremely banged up on offense and they have a pretty awful defense.

If we lose this one, Schiano will be canned next Friday after we get embarassed by the Panthers on national television.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 2h

Harry Douglas has started 6 games over the past 3 seasons. His stat lines: 5-68, 5-48, 2-57, 4-62, 4-51, and 1-3. No TDs. Good luck.

I think in all those games Matt Ryan still had a very healthy Roddy White on the field. This game he will basically have Tony G, Harry Douglas and NOT much else. I'd be surprised if Douglas doesn't have at least 6 catches. Not sure if he will have a TD though unless he breaks free on something. I'd look for the Falcons to go double TE in the redzone (and not for running either)

oh btw:

Bucs 21

Falcons 24

Good call on Douglas.

Not really. It just makes sense that SOMEBODY had to get some targets. Chances were with Douglas being that player. TBH though several of the Falcons' "no names" had targets too, just didn't make the plays for the most part and Douglas did.

Same shit, just another week.

I don't know what I'll do if Schiano is still here after next Thursday's obliteration on national TV. :(

There's no way he doesn't get fired this week. No chance.

Especially if Freeman goes out and looks good tomorrow night lol.

The defense is really regressing. The offense is making minor improvements, but it is still bad. We just really suck.

There's no way he doesn't get fired this week. No chance.

Especially if Freeman goes out and looks good tomorrow night lol.

They're going to wait until after TNF. They aren't going to give the interim 3 days to prepare for the game. We're going to get embarrassed at home against a division rival on national TV so that will be the last straw for Schiano.

Can't wait till Friday morning.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

I just can't figure out why you'd pay Revis 15M to NOT take the opposing #1 receiver away all game every game.

I just can't figure out why you'd pay Revis 16M to NOT take the opposing #1 receiver away all game every game.

FIFY. :(

• Upvote 1

Unless they really want to go offense with their HC, the Bucs should hire Ray Horton. He will actually know how to build a defense around Revis' ability... let him shadow the #1 and blitz the QB. And he's reportedly a player's coach who guys love to play for. The anti-Schiano if you will.

I know everyone says the Bucs can't run a 3-4 because of their personnel, but I don't really see that being an obstacle. McCoy, Spence, and Clayborn definitely have the skillset to play on the DL in a Horton-run 3-4 scheme. His 1 gap approach might actually fit them as well or better than what they're doing now. And I don't really see any other defensive linemen on that roster that the Bucs will want to keep, regardless of scheme. The other apparent issue is Lavonte David. But David is absolutely capable of playing the Daryl Washington role that Horton created for him in Arizona. Would probably actually thrive in it. And I personally think that Watson or Foster would be better off inside in a 3-4.

Now that would require them to acquire some outside pass rushers, but that's going to be a need whether they stay in a 4-3 or switch. And, most importantly, Horton would know how to use all that talent in the secondary.

Now that would require them to acquire some outside pass rushers, but that's going to be a need whether they stay in a 4-3 or switch. And, most importantly, Horton would know how to use all that talent in the secondary.

If they continue to suck, they could probably pick up Clowney and try to still pick up a good QB either in the 2nd round or by trading back into the mid-to-late 1st round. Maybe; I'm not a draft expert.

If they continue to suck, they could probably pick up Clowney and try to still pick up a good QB either in the 2nd round or by trading back into the mid-to-late 1st round. Maybe; I'm not a draft expert.

QB has to be the #1 priority, but Clowney would be a nice consolation if they end up picking 3rd or 4th and the blue chippers are gone already. And Clowney is scheme diverse so they could take him regardless of what they plan on running in 2014.

The Falcons have been terrible, but the Bucs have been worse. I see no reason that the Falcons don't walk away with this one. I think Harry Douglas has a big game.

I don't know how the Bucs secondary played like such ass. Oh of course it was Schiano's fault.

To me Glennon actually has some potential at QB for the Bucs. It just seemed to me that penalties and lack of discipline are actually some of the worst issues they have (and yeah I know the Falcons weren't much better on that end). I also saw a lot of drops from the Bucs receivers. Those things can't happen and you expect to win (just look at some of the Falcons losses where almost all of them entailed some critical penalties and mental lapses).

Edited by southgadawg

I don't know how the Bucs secondary played like such ass. Oh of course it was Schiano's fault.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it kind of is Schiano's fault. His schemes suck and we don't play to our players strengths. The example in our secondary is not playing press coverage with Revis and not putting him on an island. We play him in zone instead which is retarded, considering he is one of the best cover corners in the game.

When Harry Douglas puts up a career high in yardage in one half and you have Darrelle Revis, Dashon Goldson, Mark Barron and Jonathan Banks in your secondary, there is something wrong with your scheme.

And Kemp, Horton intrigues me, but I'd rather stick with the 4-3 and get a guy with experience as a HC, such as Lovie Smith.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks