Vin

Rams @ Panthers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131020029&home=29&vis=14

(AP) -- After a rough stretch, Sam Bradford and the St. Louis Rams have turned things around with consecutive victories.

Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers hope more bold play-calling will help them find some consistency.

Bradford looks for another strong performance to keep the visiting Rams rolling Sunday, while Newton and the Panthers go for back-to-back wins in the first matchup between these former No. 1 overall draft picks.

St. Louis (3-3) opened 2013 by rallying for a 27-24 win over Arizona before averaging 14.0 points during a three-game losing streak. The Rams bounced back with a 34-20 victory over winless Jacksonville on Oct. 6 and are coming off their most impressive performance of the season, a 38-13 win in Houston last Sunday.

"They really never lost their confidence, they just lost games," coach Jeff Fisher said.

Bradford, the top overall pick in 2010, has been a big part of St. Louis' turnaround. He's completed 31 of 50 passes for 339 yards and six touchdowns with a 121.6 passer rating over the past two games after coming under increased scrutiny while posting a 77.1 mark during the skid.

His 134.6 rating against the Texans was a career high.

"He's been great, no mistakes," Fisher said. "He's managing the game. He's carrying on."

Newton, the top pick in the 2011 draft, did more than that while leading the Panthers (2-3) to a 35-10 win at Minnesota last week. He connected on 20 of 26 passes for 242 yards with three touchdowns and ran for 30 yards and a TD on nine carries.

However, it was coach Ron Rivera's gutsy decisions that helped Carolina win on the road for the first time in three tries. He opted to go twice on fourth-and-1 on the opening drive, with the second resulting in Newton's 2-yard TD toss to Steve Smith.

"Sometimes you play by the book and you miss opportunities," Rivera said. "It's been an enlightening situation for me and one of the things I want to try to do is make sure we're in the best position to win."

Newton is hoping the success leads to more daring decisions from Rivera, a former defensive coordinator.

"For him to trust us means a lot and it speaks volumes," Newton said. "He is a defensive coach by nature, so he always has that conservative mentality. But I think that he is kind of breaking his mold to a degree, and giving the whole team confidence with him."

The Panthers are showing some growing confidence at home, winning three of four dating to last season. They beat the New York Giants 38-0 in their last home game in Week 3.

Building on that success likely means capitalizing on the Rams' struggles against the run. They're surrendering an average of 165.3 yards over the past four games, but the defense has created seven turnovers in the last two. St. Louis brought back two takeaways for touchdowns last week, including a 98-yard interception return by rookie linebacker Alec Ogletree.

"We know our hands are going to be full against a team that's also coming off a big win, but if we get a lot of help from our fans and execute up to our capabilities, we'll be OK," Newton told the team's official website.

"We're all excited about getting the opportunity to play at (home). It feels like it's been a long time, but at the same time we're coming in with a little bit of momentum. That's what you want."

The same could be said of St. Louis' running game, which seems to have found a reliable contributor in rookie Zac Stacy after Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead failed to impress. Stacy has 157 yards while starting the last two games, and his 4.9 per-carry average is 2.0 more than Richardson, who started three of the first four contests.

Running room may be limited, though, with Carolina ranking fourth in the NFL with 88.8 yards allowed per game after holding the Vikings to 75. The Panthers are third in the league in total defense, yielding an average of 299.2 yards, and they've given up 230.0 over the past three games while creating eight turnovers.

The Rams ended a four-game losing streak to the Panthers with a 20-10 win Oct. 31, 2010, as Bradford completed 25 of 32 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns.

Bradford has led St. Louis to three consecutive wins just once, Nov. 25-Dec. 9 of last season.

:Rams: 17

:panthers: 24

I think the Panthers will be one of the NFC teams making a push for a WC spot down the stretch. Their OL sucks, but they have the QB under center to overcome that if they allow him to.

Rams can't get there running game started and Cam Newton stays hot for the W.

Rams: 16

Panthers: 28

Tough game to pick. Should be a good game. I think Cam is playing well enough to beat the Rams who haven't been able to get it going on offense this year, and will continue to be ineffective running the ball against that front.

:Rams: 13

I think the Panthers will be one of the NFC teams making a push for a WC spot down the stretch. Their OL sucks, but they have the QB under center to overcome that if they allow him to.

The O-line doesn't suck, one specific part of the O-line sucks.

Anywho, I am hoping we don't find yet another way to lose this game. Carolina should be able to take this, if they are who I think they are.

:Rams: 16

:panthers: 27

The O-line doesn't suck, one specific part of the O-line sucks.

Anywho, I am hoping we don't find yet another way to lose this game. Carolina should be able to take this, if they are who I think they are.

:Rams: 16

:panthers: 27

You're correct. I don't know who I was thinking of but it wasn't the Panthers. I still picked them to win so I'm just going to leave it as is.

It shouldn't be that close.... Panthers D has to lock up Bradford. If they don't, it's time to clean house again. I have to go with the Panthers by 10.

Rams trying to make a comeback. Will the Panthers let them?

This is why I'm so happy the Chargers didn't end up getting Fisher (many of our fans wanted him)....such a dirty coach.

I would like the Rams to please trade Rodger Saffold to the Chargers please. Thank you.

You'd hate to see an injury be the reason a team moves on from a failed experiment, but it's time for STL to draft another QB. He hasn't been very good, let alone good, and has an injury history to go along with this knee injury. Time to make moves that will allow you to move on if he never pans out.

He had 14 TDs against 4 INTs this season over the course of 7 games. That's hardly proof of a "failed experiment."

He's definitely been better this season even though his team hasn't improved much. He's probably shown enough to the point where the Rams continue to let him lead them into the fire. The injury would have provided a really easy excuse for the Rams, but it seems like they are willing to live and die by Bradford. Most likely, they will die.

If he restructures, it will at least ease the pain slightly. The almost sick irony in this is... By the time the Rams finally give up on him, he will probably be a solid QB.

I wish Mr. Bradford a quick recovery. Godspeed.

What are everyone's thoughts on Steve Smith and his temper? I mean, sure, be mad at a kid, but good God, man. What's his deal? Perhaps he should still be getting help for this shit.

I love wideouts with Smith's temperament. Obviously you can't have his act on it violently like he has at times, but it's rare to see a true tough guy with fire at that position.

I love wideouts with Smith's temperament. Obviously you can't have his act on it violently like he has at times, but it's rare to see a true tough guy with fire at that position.

But is he a tough guy or just a little shit with a small guy complex? I mean, it's not like he's gone after big dogs when he's gotten into fights in the past.

I kind of wish one of his bigger defensive teammates would have knocked his ass out after he broke that DB's jaw in training camp or practice or whatever it was.

But is he a tough guy or just a little shit with a small guy complex? I mean, it's not like he's gone after big dogs when he's gotten into fights in the past.

I kind of wish one of his bigger defensive teammates would have knocked his ass out after he broke that DB's jaw in training camp or practice or whatever it was.

It's my perception as a fan on the outside, that he's truly a tough receiver. His willingness to go after balls over the middle and the way he fights after the catch would seem to support that. I could be wrong, but that's just what I see. I just like him.

This is why I'm so happy the Chargers didn't end up getting Fisher (many of our fans wanted him)....such a dirty coach.

You didn't want Fisher anyway. He's overrated trash.

What are everyone's thoughts on Steve Smith and his temper? I mean, sure, be mad at a kid, but good God, man. What's his deal? Perhaps he should still be getting help for this shit.

Jenkins went and looked up information on Steve Smith's wife prior to the game and then trash talked him during the game using his wife. I'm sure you can imagine his line of insulting.

I'm sorry, but you don't do that shit. Especially not to Steve Smith.

And not sure what you mean by "he hasn't gone after big guys," he was right in Chris Long's face, and Long is a much bigger guy than Smitty. Yeah most of his confrontations are with smaller dudes, but that's because CBs don't tend to be 6'3, 220+.

Jenkins went and looked up information on Steve Smith's wife prior to the game and then trash talked him during the game using his wife. I'm sure you can imagine his line of insulting.

And not sure what you mean by "he hasn't gone after big guys," he was right in Chris Long's face, and Long is a much bigger guy than Smitty. Yeah most of his confrontations are with smaller dudes, but that's because CBs don't tend to be 6'3, 220+.

I understand Jenkins strategy. Smith is hot headed and dumb, so try to get him mad, but I do agree about the wife thing. There's no reason to do that.

And what I mean is he's a little spitfuck who's broken a guy's jaw and beaten up a practice squad receiver. It's dumb, honestly. Someone needs to put him in his place, imo.

• Downvote 1

I understand Jenkins strategy. Smith is hot headed and dumb, so try to get him mad, but I do agree about the wife thing. There's no reason to do that.

And what I mean is he's a little spitfuck who's broken a guy's jaw and beaten up a practice squad receiver. It's dumb, honestly. Someone needs to put him in his place, imo.

That was five years ago and he has turned his attitude around since then. He is not dumb, (where did you even pull that crap from?), and while he does have a temper he generally gets the better of the other guy in mind games, as he did against Jenkins. You saying you understand Jenkins' strategy is silly. You can't beat Smith in a mental war as a rookie, lol. Jenkins got flat out owned trying it.

Maybe you should come up with something a bit more recent to hate on Smitty. If you've watched Smith as long as I have, you cannot help but love the way he plays and the passion he brings to the game. Saying he "needs to be put in his place" is just flat out ignorant.

Steve Smith is one of the greatest WRs I've had the privilege of watching. He was always told he couldn't do what everyone could because of his size, but he never let that defeatist talk get to him. He refused to be "put in his place" as a guy who would never amount to anything more than a slot receiver.

After Ronde retired he said that Steve Smith was the WR who fought the hardest every time they met, and Ronde had played against Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald at that point.

Smitty is seriously one of the most underrated wide receivers in the game, and the passion he brings to the game brings him the respect of his peers and the love of his teammates.

If Smith had Calvin Johnson's sheer athletic freakishness, he would be the greatest WR in the game and there wouldn't even be an argument. The man plays football so passionately and with such heart.

Edited by Thanatos19