Vin

49ers @ Titans

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131020010&home=10&vis=25

(AP) -- While the San Francisco 49ers have played well on both sides of the ball during their most successful stretch of the season, the Tennessee Titans' offense must improve if they are to end their slide.

The visiting 49ers look for a fourth consecutive victory while trying to hand the Titans a third straight defeat Sunday.

San Francisco (4-2) was outscored 56-10 in consecutive losses to Seattle and Indianapolis last month, but has since held a 101-34 scoring advantage while beating St. Louis, Houston and Arizona. The 49ers have won three in a row during a regular season for the first time since taking the final three of 2011.

"There's good things, there's encouraging things and we'll keep striving to get better," coach Jim Harbaugh said.

San Francisco has averaged 181.7 rushing yards during the winning streak after gaining 215 in its two losses.

Frank Gore has run for 417 yards and averaged 5.7 per carry in the last four games. He had 101 on 25 rushes during a 32-20 win over Arizona on Sunday, the second time in three games he's topped the 100-yard mark.

"You want to open those holes for (Gore) because he runs so hard," guard Mike Iupati said.

Colin Kaepernick has thrown five touchdowns and one interception over the last three contests after throwing four picks and no TDs against the Seahawks and Colts.

Both touchdown passes last Sunday went to tight end Vernon Davis, who made eight catches while matching a career high with 180 yards. Four of Davis' six TDs have come during the winning streak.

"I'm going to give Vernon his chances when I can," said Kaepernick, who engineered an 18-play, 89-yard touchdown drive that covered 9:32 of the second half against the Cardinals. "He makes a lot of great plays."

The 49ers have forced four turnovers in each of the last two games, and have 10 takeaways that they've turned into 54 points over the past three. They forced three through the first three contests.

"They're definitely doing a great job," Harbaugh said. "You looked at (the Arizona) game, the game before, the game before that, really, really outstanding in a lot of areas."

That likely does not bode well for Tennessee (3-3), which did not turn the ball over during a 3-1 start but has committed five in losses to Kansas City and Seattle while Ryan Fitzpatrick has started in place of the injured Jake Locker.

"We are our own worst enemy," safety Bernard Pollard said. "We're beating ourselves. We've gone out there we've played really good football. The little things are beating us."

Locker was expected to miss a few weeks due to a hip injury suffered during a 38-13 win over the New York Jets on Sept. 29, and Nov. 3 at St. Louis had been the game he was anticipated to return.

However, coach Mike Munchak said Thursday the Titans are going to see how Locker feels after a second straight practice.

"We're not going to change anything until there's a reason to do that," Munchak said. "So like I said, a lot of it will depend again on the next 24 hours or so to see really how he's doing and what is realistic. Again ... we put him through a lot of things today, movement and stuff and things ... more game-like for him. It's kind of wait and see now."

Locker threw six touchdowns and no picks in 3 1/2 games, but Fitzpatrick has been intercepted four times while throwing one TD in the last two weeks.

"We're putting more pressure on (Fitzpatrick's) shoulders than we need to as an offense," said Munchak, whose offense ranks 29th with 302.2 yards per game and has scored two touchdowns with Fitzpatrick as the starter.

Chris Johnson hasn't helped much by rushing 37 times for 71 yards in the last three games after he averaged 85.3 in the first three. Johnson and Fitzpatrick each ran for a team-leading 33 yards in a 20-13 loss at Seattle on Sunday.

Though the Titans have won the last two meetings between these teams - coming in 2009 and '05 - they've been outscored 156-47 during a four-game losing streak to NFC opponents.

San Francisco receiver Mario Manningham is back practicing for the first time since suffering a knee injury during a 42-13 loss at Seattle on Dec. 23. It's uncertain when a return to game action will come for Manningham, who had 42 receptions for 449 yards and one touchdown in 12 games last season.

Injured rookie defensive linemen Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial along with veteran defensive back Eric Wright also made their 2013 practice debuts this week. The timing of their returns is also uncertain.

:49ers: 27

:Titans: 13

I feel terrible for Tennessee fans. They finally had both a good team and a starting QB who was playing well. And then it all got ruined and they now have to watch Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is going to suck against San Francisco's defense.

49ers defense is just too tough for Fitz and the Titans.

49ers: 30

Titans: 14

Locker starting may not make a big enough difference. If I were the Titans, I give Locker that extra week to recover, let Fitzmagic get destroyed by Navarro Bowman and the gang, and have Locker fresh for the less physical teams on the slate. Opposed to risking breaking Locker further.

:49ers: 30

:Titans: 16

Locker starting may not make a big enough difference. If I were the Titans, I give Locker that extra week to recover, let Fitzmagic get destroyed by Navarro Bowman and the gang, and have Locker fresh for the less physical teams on the slate. Opposed to risking breaking Locker further.

:49ers: 30

:Titans: 16

Doctors have cleared Locker. Locker says he wants to play. Munchak said he'll make the decision tomorrow morning, said the only reason Locker wouldn't play is because they decided not to play him, given he's been cleared and that he wants to play. Locker has looked good in practice as well.

Locker or no I think the 9ers will roll. The defense is playing a lot better than they did at the beginning of the season, and Kaep is really starting the make the connection with Vernon Davis that he needs to be successful.

:49ers: 31

:Titans: 20

If the Titans can stop Vernon reasonably well (I believe they struggle with tight ends) they have a great chance.

Always take the better defense at home. The Titans have the better defense. And they are stout against the run.

Niners, are they missing Dorsey? Seems they are really thin at interior bigs now. Titans strength is interior OL. Niners are not going to be able to physically intimidate Tennessee, as they too are one of the best physical defenses in the league. Niners don't do well against physical teams on the road. Tennessee can turn the tables on them and the niners don't do well at all on the road if a team can punch them in the face back.

The only question is, will Tennessee gift the game to them big play wise. Which they are capable of doing. The niners have the more explosive offense but if you sock them in the teeth, they play like the St. Louis Rams on the road. The titans can do just that.

:Titans: 19

:49ers: 16

Edited by Attyla the Hawk

If the Titans can stop Vernon reasonably well (I believe they struggle with tight ends) they have a great chance.

Titans have done well covering TEs this year. Antonio Gates had a great drive against us, but outside of that we've shut them down.

By my count the Titans have allowed 26 catches to tight ends for 346 yards (13.3 YPC) and 4 touchdowns. Which averages out to a line of roughly 4-58-1 per game. Not bad, not great.

These stats include catches from David Johnson (Pitt), Garrett Graham (Hou), Owen Daniels (Hou), Antonio Gates (SD), Ladarius Green (SD), Jeff Cumberland (NYJ), Sean McGrath (KC), and Luke Willson (Sea). So not the toughest slate and no one quite as dangerous as Vernon Davis.

I would point out that against the team with the most real talent at TE (Chargers), tight ends caught 7 yards for 103 balls and a touchdown.

Edited by KempBolt

:devious:

I still miss D-Walk and wish him the best

Locker makes this game interesting. I might change my pick.

By my count the Titans have allowed 26 catches to tight ends for 346 yards (13.3 YPC) and 4 touchdowns. Which averages out to a line of roughly 4-58-1 per game. Not bad, not great.

These stats include catches from David Johnson (Pitt), Garrett Graham (Hou), Owen Daniels (Hou), Antonio Gates (SD), Ladarius Green (SD), Jeff Cumberland (NYJ), Sean McGrath (KC), and Luke Willson (Sea). So not the toughest slate and no one quite as dangerous as Vernon Davis.

I would point out that against the team with the most real talent at TE (Chargers), tight ends caught 7 yards for 103 balls and a touchdown.

3 catches, 31 yards and 1 TD came from Gates on SD's opening drive of the game, shut down for the most part after that.

1 catch, 34 yards and 1 TD came from Cumberland after the Titans/Jets game was already over/Titans were playing prevent.

The 1 TD to Graham came on the first drive of the game(Titans D played like shit on the first drive of each of the first 3 games, for whatever reason. Only reason it didn't result in anything for Pitt in the first game is due to a fumble at the 4 yard line).

So outside of first drive troubles early on in the season and a garbage time TD, the stats look like 21-280-1. which would average out to 3.5-47 and not even a TD per game.

Not to say early game TDs don't count, they obviously do. But the stats would show that Titans struggle vs TEs over the course of an entire game, when they don't.

Davis will make his plays, I'm sure. He's too good not to. I don't see him running over Tennessee though.

3 catches, 31 yards and 1 TD came from Gates on SD's opening drive of the game, shut down for the most part after that.

1 catch, 34 yards and 1 TD came from Cumberland after the Titans/Jets game was already over/Titans were playing prevent.

The 1 TD to Graham came on the first drive of the game(Titans D played like shit on the first drive of each of the first 3 games, for whatever reason. Only reason it didn't result in anything for Pitt in the first game is due to a fumble at the 4 yard line).

So outside of first drive troubles early on in the season and a garbage time TD, the stats look like 21-280-1. which would average out to 3.5-47 and not even a TD per game.

Not to say early game TDs don't count, they obviously do. But the stats would show that Titans struggle vs TEs over the course of an entire game, when they don't.

Davis will make his plays, I'm sure. He's too good not to. I don't see him running over Tennessee though.

I don't see him doing what he did last week, but there's no reason to think he can't have a good game. That's my point. You guys have a gnarly defense, but that doesn't have to mean that you'll be dominant in every facet. Just calling it like I see it.

The Titans have been pretty average at defending some pretty average TE's so far this season. When you don't cut out the bad parts, that is ;) .

Now for a score prediction:

:49ers: 19

:Titans: 23

Rooting for the Titans here. They have the defense (I hope) to limit Gore and force Kaep into some mistakes.

Ya, no kidding. can I retract my previous statement? :laugh:

This is nice.lol

well I'm glad Munchak was able to keep the shutout off of his resume for his performance review this offseason

great blocks by Levitre and Schwenke on that CJ TD, too bad we waited until the game was out of reach to do that, and can someone explain to me why we don't run more screens to him?

Edited by oochymp

Fuck that garbage time TD. :D nice play Willis got owned