Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Peytons @ Lucks

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131020011&home=11&vis=7

(AP) -- The Denver Broncos are heading to Indianapolis with a quarterback that carries an 82-32 record in the city. He's 0-0 wearing a road uniform.

Peyton Manning returns to Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday night to face the Colts, the quarterback they replaced him with, and the owner who let him go, all for the first time.

"I don't play there anymore, but I've continued to communicate and I've enjoyed those times when I see someone from Indiana in a hotel or an '18' Colts jersey out here at practice," Manning said. "There's always a connection there."

The remaining warmth between Manning and his former franchise was iced down some leading into the game with Colts owner Jim Irsay questioning the team's playoff record during the Manning era. The Colts lost their first playoff game seven times in 11 appearances.

Manning's focus remained on the present when asked about his past owner's comments.

"I've learned that in life you need to be at peace with other people's decisions that affect you that you have no control over," Manning said. "That's good advice I've had over the years and it's certainly served me well in this particular scenario."

Manning and the Broncos (6-0) will look to build on their franchise-best 17 consecutive regular-season wins after Sunday's 35-19 home victory over Jacksonville. An 18th would tie them for third all-time with the 2003-04 New England Patriots. They'd be within five of Manning and the 2008-09 Colts' record of 23.

The 35-point output was their league-leading offense's lowest of the season. Manning went 28 of 42 for 295 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. It was his first game under 300 yards, and his 92.9 passer rating was his first under 100 this year.

Most quarterbacks and teams would be thrilled with such a performance.

"There was a lot of bad football out there," Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker said. "We've got to correct that stuff and come out better next time."

Welker caught his league-leading eighth TD of the year and is one away from his 2011 career high.

Tight end Julius Thomas is the only other player in the league with at least seven.

Manning is likely to face his toughest defensive test through the first seven weeks. The Colts (4-2) rank fifth in pass defense (205.7) and scoring defense (16.3). He might have to do so without starting right tackle Orlando Franklin, who sprained his left knee and ankle against Jacksonville. All-Pro left tackle Ryan Clady is already on IR with a foot injury.

The Colts' 19-9 loss in San Diego on Monday night was their worst offensive performance of the year as well. They had a three-game win streak snapped and missed out on a chance to build a two-game lead in the AFC South.

Andrew Luck went 18 for 30 for 202 yards with an interception. The Colts went 2 for 10 on third down after going 31 for 62 in their previous five games.

"We stunk on third down today," Luck said. "A lot of credit to their defense. I think we made our fair share of mistakes, but I think it's what they did. If we can't convert third downs and drives continually stall like that, it's a short rest for our defense and no points for us, so it's a bad combination."

Luck has never lost back-to-back games and is 6-0 following losses, but he's up against the team that has scored more points (265) through six games than any team in league history.

After the Monday night game, the Colts are on a short week, but they're eager to get back out there.

"I know it can't come quickly enough for all of us," coach Chuck Pagano said.

The Colts are 9-2 under Pagano at home.

They'll be up against the Broncos' league-worst pass defense, which is allowing 337.7 yards per game.

That unit, though, should get a boost with the return of linebacker Von Miller, who had a franchise-record 18 1/2 sacks last year but missed the first six games for violating the NFL's drug abuse policy.

"I feel good. I'm in the best shape of my life," Miller said. "I feel a lot stronger, quicker, faster. It's not like I'm running 100 yards or 400 yards there, so I definitely felt good. All the feedback I was getting from my teammates and everybody looked like I was good. There was a hurry-up period in there that was tough, but that's what it's designed to be is tough."

:Broncos: 34

:Colts: 28

Peyton is going to drop some dimes after all this talk out of Irsay. And the Colts are in trouble when they have to play from behind because they can't protect Luck long enough for chunk plays.

Should be a great game. I think Luck and the Colts win a shootout in this one.

Broncos: 34

Colts: 38

Von Miller is back, and 265 pounds of hungry. Jim Irsay ran his mouth all week talking shit on the quarterback that has given him everything he has, and Peyton will remind him to keep his trap shut.

:Broncos: 48

:Colts: 24

Cheese Head, on 18 Oct 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Should be a great game. I think Luck and the Colts win a shootout in this one.

Broncos: 34

Colts: 38

and here I thought I liked you :nope:

:laugh:

You never liked her for her brains.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of how disrespectful it was of Jim Irsay to make those comments, he's right. Peyton Manning wasted chance after chance to win multiple Super Bowls, and was single-handedly responsible for the loss to the Saints with a horrible pick 6. It's hard as hell to win a Super Bowl, but certain teams have the capability of winning multiple, and it's honestly a shame that the Colts only won one in Manning's tenure.

That, and Peyton Manning is an asshole, so I hope the Colts win this one, maybe even by double digits.

Also, you Denver fans are acting like Von Miller is Jesus. Bad defense is bad, even with an added superstar. Also, splash plays are still only one play.

BwareDWare94, on 19 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:

Also, you Denver fans are acting like Von Miller is Jesus. Bad defense is bad, even with an added superstar. Also, splash plays are still only one play.

"As phenomenal as [Peyton] Manning played last season, Von Miller’s performance was arguably better. In 2012, Miller led all 4-3 outside linebackers with a cumulative PFF rating of +84.4. To put that in perspective, the second rated 4-3 OLB was Jerod Mayo at +17.1. No position in the league had a greater disparity between the top ranked player and the second best."

Probably as close to jesus as you can get.

Ya.. Von Miller practically is the reincarnation of Christ. Well, as close as you can get to it on the field. Off it, he's a bit of a dumbass. I dunno how he will play this week with the layoff, but... Dunno if they will need him. I have to believe Peyton is motivated to crush the hell out of Jim Irsay and the Colts. I am sure there will be a stockpile of Star Wars stats to sift through after this one.

Yeah dawg, KC undefeated forever though.

So Razor, if this game ends with a Bronco loss, is the sig bet still on for those us who said Denver would lose to Indy? :p

I am a man of my word.

I am a man of my word.

I would have expected no less from you, my friend!

On topic, though--I'm gonna be lazy and let one of the other folks who picked Indy come up with it.