Vin

Vikings @ Giants

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131021019&home=19&vis=16

(AP) -- Josh Freeman's job as Tampa Bay's starting quarterback seemed safe after receiving a vote of confidence from his former coach two days before being benched.

It doesn't appear Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier will be making any empty promises.

Freeman was named the starter for Minnesota's road contest against the winless New York Giants on Monday night, which comes less than two weeks after he signed with the club.

Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano publicly stated Sept. 23 that Freeman, who completed an NFL-low 45.7 percent of his passes with a dismal passer rating of 59.3 as Tampa dropped its first three games, would be the team's starting quarterback despite his struggles.

Freeman, though, was told soon after he would be benched in favor of rookie Mike Glennon. He was granted his release Oct. 3 and signed a one-year contract with Minnesota (1-4) on Oct. 8.

The 25-year-old former first-round pick now will be tasked with helping to improve a Vikings offense that gained 290 yards in last week's 35-10 home loss to Carolina and has committed 12 turnovers on the season.

"Any time you step into a situation where you're the new guy, there's always kind of an awkward getting-to-know-you phase," Freeman said. "But I think that goes back to the character of this organization just from top to bottom - a lot of quality people that are dedicated to winning first and foremost. So it's been a smooth adjustment."

Frazier is hoping Freeman can overcome this season's issues and revert back to last year's form, when he threw for career highs of 4,065 yards and 27 touchdowns.

"I like the things he's done in his career, along with what he's done since he arrived here with our football team, the time he put in, how well he's adapted to our system," Frazier said. "He's done enough for us to say we want to give him this opportunity, which is something we had in mind when we acquired him. I think now is the time."

Freeman also should have the benefit of having Adrian Peterson in the backfield. Peterson missed Wednesday's practice to attend the funeral of his 2-year-old son, but he said he plans to play this week after rushing for 62 yards on 10 carries against Carolina.

"I'm standing strong, man. I am," Peterson said. "My main focus has been on my son. ... Just trying to wrap my head around things and trying to stay focused and play ball as well. So things have been tough, but I can handle a lot. I'm built for anything that comes my way. This right here will pass."

Freeman will be Minnesota's third starter in four games. Christian Ponder started the first three before suffering a rib injury, and Matt Cassel was under center for the last two.

Frazier said Ponder will serve as Freeman's backup Monday.

"The underlying questions I've been getting from a lot of people: `Do I have a chip on my shoulder?' I'm sure I do," Freeman said. "But I think it's more deeply rooted than just the past six months, 12 months."

His first test with the Vikings comes against a Giants team that has all sorts of issues, including with their two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, Eli Manning.

New York (0-6) is off to its worst start since it lost a franchise-worst nine straight to open the 1976 season. Manning finished 14 of 26 for 239 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions in last Thursday's 27-21 loss to Chicago, with one pick being returned for a touchdown.

He's thrown a league-worst 15 interceptions to match his total from all of last season, and his 64.0 passer rating is third-worst in the NFL - one spot ahead of Freeman.

Though Manning will be facing a Minnesota defense that ranks 29th against the pass allowing an average of 308.0 yards, the Giants have committed a league-high 23 turnovers and have lost 11 of their last 14 games after missing last year's playoffs despite a 6-2 start.

"It's not fun playing this game and losing and not feeling like you're helping your team," Manning said. "But it's not going to change the way I treat each day or treat each practice and treat the games. I'm going to compete. I'm going to work hard and do whatever I can do to try to put our team in a situation to win a game."

One bright spot has been the emergence of veteran Brandon Jacobs, who rushed 22 times for 106 yards and two touchdowns against Chicago. David Wilson was the No. 1 back entering the season, but he's battling a neck injury.

Jacobs has a sore hamstring and the team signed former 1,000-yard rusher Peyton Hillis this week, but Jacobs said he plans to play Monday.

"I'm not missing any game," Jacobs said. "Straight up, that's all there is in a nutshell. I am not counting on being down."

Jacobs ran for 116 yards and a touchdown while Peterson was held to 26 yards on 14 carries as the Giants beat the Vikings 21-3 in the most recent meeting Dec. 13, 2010, ending a four-game skid against Minnesota.

:Vikings: 31

:Giants: 21

This game is setting up perfectly for Freeman to have a comeback performance. I don't believe in him long term, but the Giants' defense is awful so they'll make him look better than what he is.

Even with Freeman at the helm for the Vikings don't make a difference as Eli turns things around in this game.

Vikings: 17

Giants: 28

Freeman will play better than Ponder and Cassle, giving AP the room to win this game. Eli continues chasing the record.

:Vikings: 28

:Giants: 24

The biggest deal in this game isn't Josh Freeman, it's not Eli Manning's INTs, it's not AP having a monster game--it's Harrison Smith now on the IR/Designated to return list.

I think I'll be changing my pick to NYG.

Seriously. I'm so depressed that he's gone for a while.

The Vikings tend to lose prime time match-ups when I watch them play, so I'm a bit worried about this one. I'm concerned we will be the Giants' first win, which will be pretty embarrassing. With Smith gone, Eli should have no problem raping a secondary that was already horrendous before his injury. I'm forced to go with the Giants on this one.

Matt Cassel is inactive for Monday night's Week 7 game against the Giants.

Christian Ponder will back up Josh Freeman. Cassel was solid in Week 6 against the Steelers before face-planting last week against the Panthers.
Also inactive for the Vikings are CB A.J. Jefferson (ankle), WR Rodney Smith (hip), LB Gerald Hodges, G Jeff Baca, DT Chase Baker, and DE Justin Trattou.

Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) is officially inactive for Monday night's Week 7 game against the Vikings.

Jacobs practiced on a limited basis Thursday and Friday before sitting out altogether Saturday. Peyton Hillis and Michael Cox will carry the load. Cox is expected to get the start, but both will play plenty. However, we expect the Giants to dial up pass play after pass play and attack a weak Minnesota secondary.
Also inactive for the Giants are QB Ryan Nassib, CB Jayron Hosley, RB David Wilson, S Cooper Taylor, TE Adrien Robinson, and DT Johnathan Hankins.

This is such a big bowl of mediocrity, I don't really know or care about who wins. It's really just, I don't even know. Disfunction on top of disfunction.

:Giants: 13

:Vikings: 13

I hate Minnesota's defensive schematics. So ineffective at about every level of football and yet they still do it.

Usually low-scoring games at the half mean that it's a defensive struggle. No; this is just a struggle because both teams can't play effectively.

rofl Freeman. lol

Horrendous. I think the Vikings may be the worst team in the NFC, though our record doesn't show it. I think a win vs. Tampa Bay would depend solely upon HFA, though that means nothing this year.

Freeman is a train wreck. I wonder if the Vikings will consider going back to Ponder.

Ponder is significantly better than either Freeman or Cassel, so if they want to win more than a game or two all year, he's their best bet. Josh Freeman has regressed to JaMarcus Russell 2.0, at this point.

Josh Freeman made Cam Newton in the Pro Bowl look like a Hall of Fame performance.

lol

Wow! Adrian Peterson held to 28 Yards?!!!??? I'm fucking blessed by the fantasy football gods this year! I won my matchup by 2 points. The third time this year that I have been hanging by a thread on a tight lead into Monday night going up against a big name player and I've come out alive. Damn, this is awesome! Take that AP! Thank you FFGods!

Oh, and another note.While Freeman IS a train wreck, the entire Vikings problem is their game plan. You throw the ball 52 times with a retardedly good running game? Are you kidding me? Yikes! They need to dump their coaching staff. Don't try putting a square peg in a round hole, because then you're the Atlanta Falcons.

Josh Freeman is terrible, and the Vikings playcalling was horrendous. Pretty sure this is the end of the line for Frazier and Rick Spielman in Minnesota.

Rick Spielman isn't going anywhere, but Frazier definitely is.