Vin

Panthers @ Bucs

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131024027&home=27&vis=29

(AP) -- While the Carolina Panthers are trying to move above the .500 mark for the first time in five seasons, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers simply hope to a win a game.

The visiting Panthers look for a third consecutive victory while trying to keep the Buccaneers winless Thursday night.

Not since finishing 12-4 in 2008 - three seasons before Cam Newton became the face of the franchise - has Carolina (3-3) been above .500. After outscoring Minnesota and St. Louis 65-25 over the last two weeks and visiting a Tampa Bay (0-6) team off to its worst start since 2009, the Panthers appear to be in good shape to again rise above mediocrity.

"It would be a great boost of confidence to have a winning record," said defensive back Captain Munnerlyn, whose 45-yard interception return for a touchdown highlighted Sunday's 30-15 win over the Rams.

The Panthers have already made the most of a favorable three-game stretch that ends Thursday with the Buccaneers, who remain positive despite being in danger of going 0-7 for the second time in five years.

"You've got to go with the next task at hand," Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano said.

"I want to be clear on this because I don't take lightly 0-6. I've never been 0-6. But we do our best. We're trying our hardest. Our guys are working ... and I have found when you have good people and they work hard and they work smart it'll turn. That's what I believe."

Carolina also believes the Bucs' struggles don't justify any reason to take them for granted, especially with games against Atlanta, San Francisco, New England and Miami to follow.

"In this league anything is possible and we know what Tampa Bay is capable of," linebacker Thomas Davis said. "If you look at their games this year they've pretty much been in all of those games. It just came down to executing in the fourth quarter and they could have a much different record. We know that."

With rookie quarterback Mike Glennon starting his fourth straight game and star running back Doug Martin likely out with a shoulder injury, Tampa Bay certainly faces a difficult challenge on a short week.

Martin, whose 3.6 average yards per carry is a yard fewer than he recorded while rushing for 1,454 as a rookie in 2012, was injured during Sunday's 31-23 loss to Atlanta. Schiano said it "probably will be a stretch" for Martin to play Thursday, but has not gone into detail of the severity of the injury despite reports that the second-year back suffered a torn labrum.

"I'm not going to get into specifics of exactly what his issue is," he said. "If it was season-ending I'd let you know. But I don't feel that it is right now. ... We're just going to play it by ear and go from there."

Rookie backup Mike James, who rushed for 45 yards on 14 carries Sunday, is expected to start against a Carolina defense that's fourth in the NFL giving up 84.5 yards per game on the ground.

The Panthers are fifth allowing 217.7 passing yards per contest, which also doesn't bode well for a Tampa Bay offense entering this game 31st in both total yards (297.8 per game) and scoring (14.5 points per game).

"(The Panthers are) definitely really talented. They're one of top defensive teams in the league statistically with how they're playing," said Glennon, the North Carolina State product who threw two TDs and no interceptions against the Falcons, but has attempted at least 43 passes in each of this three starts.

Glennon has targeted Vincent Jackson a whopping 36 times in the last two weeks, with the veteran receiver catching 19 balls for 252 yards and two touchdowns. Jackson had 10 receptions for 138 with no scores in the three games prior to that stretch.

He had six catches for 94 yards and a TD during Tampa Bay's 27-21 overtime win at Carolina on Nov. 18 to sweep the 2012 season series.

Newton has completed 63.0 percent of his passes and thrown six TDs with two interceptions while rushing for 163 yards and four scores to split his four career games against the Bucs. He threw for 555 of his 930 career yards versus Tampa Bay last season, but both picks came during a 16-10 season-opening road loss.

After going 21 of 39 with three INTs and no TDs during a 22-6 loss at Arizona on Oct. 6, Newton has gone 35 of 43 for 446 yards with four touchdowns, no picks and a rushing score over the last two weeks.

My god, Primetime is fucking us in the ass.

It's a division game, I'm not counting Tampa out. But this is an absolute must-win for Carolina given the upcoming schedule.

:panthers: 30

:Bucs: 17

The Panthers front 7 is going to destroy our putrid o-line and the defense is going to blitz Glennon all day with Martin out. Schiano will continue to use Revis in zone instead of putting him on Steve Smith and the Panthers will put up 20+ points easily.

:panthers: 27
:Bucs: 10

The Bucs are gonna get embarrassed at home against a division rival on national television. Schiano's getting the axe on Friday morning.

• Upvote 1

I finally get a Friday off and this is the shitfest I get to watch.

:coffee:

• Upvote 2

Panthers CB Josh Thomas (illness) is inactive for Thursday night's Week 8 game against the Bucs.

With Thomas dealing with an illness and performance-related issues, undrafted rookie Melvin White will make his first career start opposite Captain Munnerlyn.
Also inactive for the Panthers are DT Dwan Edwards, WR Marvin McNutt, RB Armond Smith, WR Tavarres King, TE Brandon Williams, and DT Sione Fua. Steve Smith (probable, ankle) and Brandon LaFell (knee) are active, as expected.

Mike Williams (hamstring) is active for Thursday night's Week 8 game against the Panthers.

Williams will play despite being limited in practice this week and listed as questionable. He's nothing more than a touchdown-dependent WR4 and shouldn't be trusted in fantasy leagues.
Inactive for the Bucs are RB Doug Martin, FS Dashon Goldson, WR Chris Owusu, RB Jeff Demps, LG Carl Nicks, OL Patrick Omameh, and DT Derek Landri.

Flipping between this and the WS simply because I have players in the game right now,

I'd just like to say that while it wasn't a "butt fumble", Mike James just ran right into the ass end of his lineman the same way Sanchez did a year ago and he fell just as quick. That was some good stuff.

In other news, Cam Newton is a stud. I don't even care that he's a Panther right now, that play on the goal line to Olsen should have been a sack. I have no clue how he got the ball to Olsen accurately, and I have no clue why Olsen was completely uncovered. What a play by Newton to realize Olsen was back there.

The Bucs are just God awful. I foresee a blowout in this game.

Panthers: 34

Buccaneers: 10

:panthers: 31

:Bucs: 13

The Panthers are warming up, especially on offense. It would be highly unusual to see two TNF road teams blow out the competition in consecutive weeks, but the disparity here seems big enough to me that I think it could happen. Cam Newton has been fantastic the last two weeks and it doesn't seem like the media has noticed.

Wp!

That might be my first one this season that was right on the money.

Buccaneers_Fan_Greg_Schiano_Biohazard_Ha

This had me rolling when I saw it last night :rofl:

also, Props to Kemp, well played sir. NBB you weren't far off either. Sorry about your Bucs bro, I know those feels. :(