Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Test links Winston's DNA to accuser

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A DNA analysis completed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement on Tuesday confirmed that DNA provided by Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston matched the sample taken from the underwear of the woman who has accused him of sexual battery.

According to the DNA analysis report, a copy of which was viewed by ESPN.com on Wednesday, the Florida state crime lab determined the chance of the DNA in the woman's underwear being a match for someone other than Winston was one in 2.2 trillion.

Police obtained a sexual assault kit on Dec. 7, 2012, when the accuser reported the alleged incident had occurred at an off-campus apartment. Winston's DNA was recently obtained through a buccal swab he provided to authorities investigating the case.

The DNA match alone does not prove that Winston, a leading Heisman Trophy candidate, sexually assaulted the woman, as the accuser's family claimed in a statement released Wednesday by a Tampa, Fla.-based attorney. But it does indicate that Winston, who has yet to talk to Tallahassee police or the state attorney investigating the case, had his DNA associated with the accuser on Dec. 7, 2012, when the accuser said she was sexually assaulted.

William Meggs, the state attorney for the Second Judicial Circuit, said his office is still investigating the case, which was referred to his office by Tallahassee police only last week.

"Everybody wants to know what's going on," Meggs said earlier Wednesday. "So do we. We're in the process of trying to figure out what's going on. We haven't determined how it's going to turn out."

Meggs couldn't immediately be reached for comment on the DNA report Wednesday night. Tim Jansen, Winston's attorney, didn't immediately respond to a text message from an ESPN reporter.

When Meggs was asked Wednesday whether he believed his office could adequately investigate the case more than 11 months after the crime allegedly occurred, he said: "I'm pretty confident, as much as anybody can be. There are two kinds of evidence: testimonial and physical. We'll have what we have at the end of the day and then we'll evaluate what we have."

On Wednesday night, Tallahassee interim police chief Tom Coe said the accuser stopped cooperating with police in February. A statement released earlier Wednesday by the accuser's family through her attorney, Patricia Carroll of Tampa, said Tallahassee police warned the accuser not to pursue the case, saying Det. Scott Angulo told Carroll, "Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable."

Coe contends Tallahassee police made the case inactive only after the accuser stopped communicating with them. Coe told the Tallahassee Democrat on Tuesday that the police department reviewed the case after media outlets filed open records requests for the case file. Coe said the open records requests alone couldn't change a case from open-inactive to open-active, but that new evidence or leads would have to be found to change the investigation's status.

"In February 2013, the case was classified as open, but inactive, when the victim in the case broke off contact with TPD, and her attorney indicated she did not want to move forward at that time," Coe said Wednesday.

In a statement released to the Tampa Bay Times on Wednesday, the accuser's attorney said, "It was never the intent of the victim or the family for this to become public," but went on to provide a scathing review of the police's handling of the case.

The woman accusing Winston initially reported the incident Dec. 7, 2012. Coe said police investigated the incident, taking witness testimony and collecting evidence.

According to Jansen, who has been representing Winston, police approached him about the case in February but soon after assured him the case was no longer being investigated. Jansen said he reported that to both Winston and Florida State.

When records requests from multiple media outlets were made to Tallahassee police last week, investigators re-examined the case and forwarded it to the state attorney's office. Meggs is currently reviewing the case and will decide whether charges will be brought against a potential suspect.

Meggs told ESPN.com on Wednesday that he probably will not take the case before a grand jury, saying his office would ultimately decide whether it believes it has sufficient evidence to charge Winston with a crime.

"I'm not stupid," Meggs said. "It is a young man whose life is in a fish bowl right now. I think about that. There's also a young girl whose life has been turned upside down, and her life will never be the same, either. We look at it and say, 'Which one of those is most important?' Both. It is a search for the truth, and the truth is kind of elusive sometimes."

Carroll's statement also said police failed to do a proper investigation, did not collect blood work or DNA samples from Winston and refused to interview Winston's roommate, who the accuser says witnessed the attack. The statement also criticized police for approaching Winston's attorney in February with details of the case.

Coe did not specifically contradict any of the claims made in the accuser's statement but said, "There are many statements being made daily, some of which are factual, some are not factual. We can't go into detail on that tonight, but there will be a point in time when we can comment on those issues."

Winston met with media Wednesday, but Florida State athletic department staff would not allow him to answer any questions relating to the investigation. His status with the team has not changed, according to FSU, and he is expected to start Saturday's game against Idaho. Meggs said his office has interviewed several witnesses but the timetable for a decision on whether charges will be filed remains vague.

"When we can say more about this case, we certainly will," Coe said Wednesday. "And we look forward to that day. We hope to move it forward as quickly as we can in coordination with the state attorney and bring closure to it."

Information from ESPN.com reporter David Hale and ESPN's Mark Schwarz is included in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10009077/dna-analysis-matches-jameis-winston-accuser

Not sure what to think about this. It took a while for this story to come out and it came out well into Winston stardom. Either the chick is lying or the police department tried to cover it up.

Other than the fact that he's a football player, there's no reason for the police to cover this up. Winston wasn't a star least year, he was just a guy. Hell, it's not like FSU players haven't had their share of legal troubles. I don't know what makes this any different.

Also, this:

Patricia Carroll of Tampa, said Tallahassee police warned the accuser not to pursue the case, saying Det. Scott Angulo told Carroll, "Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable."

is not a direct quote from the detective, but a quote from the statement.

WHY would he provide DNA when he hasn't even been charged?

This girl couldn't even describe him after the incident. She figured her attacker was 5'10 or 5'11, and couldn't name Winston with pictures. I know that rape cases can be much more complex than this, but this just seems a little fishy, at this point.

My guess is they had sex, but it wasn't sexual assault or rape or whatever you want to call it. The fact that this happened when it did and it didn't get dragged through the mud until Winston was being seriously considered for the Heisman makes me VERY VERY weary.

Regardless, I don't know either person in the case nor the circumstances. I just hope the truth comes out and the culprit gets punished.

Except this isn't a case where shes coming out now and saying that it happened a year ago. The accusations happened before he was famous. This is just a case of the media picking up on it now that he's famous.

• Upvote 1

Except I never said it was her that was bringing this up again. My biggest point was that Winston is a Heisman candidate... I highly, highly doubt the accuser is making a push to motivate or demotivate Heisman voters. Lmao. Come on, Blots.

I thought you were implying that she only brought this claim out now and just said it happened a year ago for the fame/money. I can see what you meant, but I don't think my interpretation was unreasonable.

Edited by blotsfan

Regardless of the circumstances, what is the likelihood that the NCAA takes action against him?

What's the likelihood anyone takes action against him? Apparently the chick is hell-bent on charges, but the prosecutors (who have just been included into this process for a couple weeks now) are still determining if there is enough evidence to press charges and take this to trial.

In the end, I am not so sure anything really does happen, but time will tell.

My guess is that guilty or not he'll get off ok. Reports have said that the police tried to cover it up and from what I've read about the cops there, that isn't unusual.

He'll definitely finish the season and I'd be surprised if it ever goes to court. How do you actually prove rape in this situation? It's not like there's any eye witnesses or other ways to prove it. It would be his testimony vs hers. No way Winston ever serves any jail time for this.

According to the DNA analysis report, a copy of which was viewed by ESPN.com on Wednesday, the Florida state crime lab determined the chance of the DNA in the woman's underwear being a match for someone other than Winston was one in 2.2 trillion.

How do they determine this number? Kinda baffles me considering the world population is estimated at just a hair above seven billion... I know when it comes to DNA matching that you never want to talk in absolute certainties, but this is just ridiculous!

Probably something like "Well there are 550 billion pairings in DNA, and 4 possible combinations for each one, so the odds of a random person having identical DNA to Winston is in in 2.2 trillion."*

*Not a scientist. Could be 100% wrong.

• Upvote 1

FSU has rules against this. If he is charged with a crime he will be suspended. Even before it goes to trial.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10079906/state-attorney-wraps-investigation-jameis-winston-case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says it is ready to deliver its findings.

State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday in his office to announce his findings.

Meggs says investigators have learned as much as they can about the December 2012 incident.

"We think we have exhausted all investigative tools," Meggs said.

Winston, who was named the ACC player of the year on Wednesday, has led the Seminoles to the No. 1 ranking, and they'll play for a conference title Saturday, with a shot at the national crown. The quarterback also is the leading candidate for the Heisman, and many voters are waiting to see whether Winston will be charged with a crime before casting their ballots. The deadline for Heisman ballots to be turned in is Dec. 9.

ESPN has previously reported that DNA belonging to Winston was found in the underwear of the accuser. A lawyer for Winston has suggested that the star quarterback and the accuser had consensual sex. But the family of the victim has accused the 19-year-old of rape.

Meggs has said he wanted to make sure prosecutors completed a thorough investigation before making a final decision. He has also said several times that it's up to prosecutors to determine whether there is a "reasonable" chance of conviction.

Timothy Jansen, the attorney representing Winston, said he does not know what Meggs will announce.

"We're hoping and waiting like everyone else, and we believe the evidence will exonerate Mr. Winston," Jansen said.

Can't see them waiting a day if to announce that they're going to charge, but with the way this story has been, who knows.

https://twitter.com/MattGalka/status/408368671984459776

What's everyone think about his chances of getting convicted?

I'm not thinking very high, right now.

I guess if you have money or are a popular sports player you can get away with anything in Florida.

From what I read, this doesn't mean for sure that there's no charges. Apparently the DA there in a huge attention whore and it's not unusual for him to try to get himself the most spotlight possible.

Lmao... Accuser says she had 5 or 6 shots (probably a very conservative number, btw)... Began to feel their effect, and doesn't remember much but however does remember walking into an apartment and getting raped by Jameis Winston.

:rofl:

Is there any doubt why this was dropped for lack of evidence? Ya... no.

• Upvote 1

I guess if you have money or are a popular sports player you can get away with anything in Florida.

We've already learned that a nobody can stalk a teenager and murder him, then be cleared of all charges. :shrug:

Granted, I'd call Florida even more fucked up if Winston had actually been charged. Lack of sufficient evidence is lack of sufficient evidence.

• Upvote 1

We've also learned people take what the media initially says and constantly continue to report it as if it was fact.

Getting really tired of Bware repeating fallacious information.

• Upvote 1

We've also learned people take what the media initially says and constantly continue to report it as if it was fact.

Getting really tired of Bware repeating fallacious information.

We know he stalked him. That is enough.

• Downvote 1

Actually we don't. That is factually wrong, yet you continue to repeat it as if it is true.