AL_Royalty

Ohio State is new #2. Thoughts?

After Saturday's BCS shakeups, there was a lot of HURP DERP DURP and HOO-BAH-DEE-BLAH in the shoutbox the other night about who would be ranked where and who should play for what. Most of the sentiment was that THE Ohio State would not and should not be playing for a national championship. As it stands right now, they have a better than good chance of doing just that.

As it stands, they are ranked #2 in the BCS, Harris, and USA Today polls. It's a clean sweep, which tells me that as long as they win against Michigan State in the Big Ten Title Game, it's all but settled that they're going to be playing against Florida State—who still has to play the ACC juggernaut Duke, lol—in the National Championship game.

So, like it or not, it's starting to look like a win-and-in scenario for the Buckeyes. With everyone else who was in the running racking up at least one loss, this seems completely logical to me. Ohio State was ranked 3 or 4 all season long, so it's not like they had to leap-frog anyone ahead of them to get where they are. They were already elevated, and they took care of business, albeit not in the same fashion that FSU pummeled their weak sauce schedule.

No matter who wins the SEC championship, if tOSU and FSU win their respective conference championships, it's looking like the SEC's reign of 7 consecutive titles is coming to an end. I just don't see how a one loss Auburn or Mizzou jumps Ohio State if the Buckeyes win out.

So the question in there is this: If you were the only one who's opinion mattered—if your choice was the end-all be-all in the final say for who plays in the NCG—who ya got in the game, and why? It's always fun to read the incredible amount of mud-slinging that this topic always undoubtedly spawns, so let's hear why tOSU is gonna get creamed, or how the SEC is a conference of super God teams and should play for everything ever, or how the BCS is a joke, or whatever it may be.

FSU has destroyed every team its faced, but they have a weaker SOS then us. Ohio St has to blow out teams every week or they will be considered posers.

We've won our past 2 BCS games against Oregon and Arkansas. Even though that means nothing now because no one is left from either of those teams.

• Upvote 1

Well, the truth is that NEITHER of you deserves to be in the National Championship.

Give me SEC teams. I'm not usually an SEC fan but these other high ranked teams just don't measure up against 4 or 5 SEC teams.

• Downvote 2

I don't like it but I can't argue with it. The SEC is clearly the top conference but the Big 10 gap isn't strong enough to put a 1 loss team over an undefeated team.

That being said, if voters disagree I'm not gonna get mad at them or anything.

Edit: And Bware, the only SEC team I'd be 100% sure of being better than OSU is Alabama. I love Mizzou but I don't think that'd be a good matchup for us. Auburn is very good too but they've had a lot of lucky wins. Those would be some pretty even matchups IMO.

Edited by blotsfan

I don't like it but I can't argue with it. The SEC is clearly the top conference but the Big 10 gap isn't strong enough to put a 1 loss team over an undefeated team.

That being said, if voters disagree I'm not gonna get mad at them or anything.

Edit: And Bware, the only SEC team I'd be 100% sure of being better than OSU is Alabama. I love Mizzou but I don't think that'd be a good matchup for us. Auburn is very good too but they've had a lot of lucky wins. Those would be some pretty even matchups IMO.

Those were two of the other teams I had in mind, and LSU.

I dunno. The Big Ten is just so bad. Minnesota had a good year in this Big Ten. While the Gophers have made some nice strides under Jerry Kill, they're still not very good.

Yeah. Let's watch Bama ND replay instead, because at least it's Bama. FSU will steamroll OSU if those frauds get to the title game..let alone past MSU.

Michigan State's defense is going to have some fun with Ohio State. Just sayin'.

Well, the truth is that NEITHER of you deserves to be in the National Championship.

Give me SEC teams. I'm not usually an SEC fan but these other high ranked teams just don't measure up against 4 or 5 SEC teams.

how do you figure for Florida State? the only question mark is a weak schedule, but it's not like they're squeaking by against inferior opponents, they're winning by an average of 42.7 points, and that's with starters sitting for most of the second half in a lot of games, all you can do is play the teams on your schedule, okay that argument has a little less weight when you're talking about colleges that can create their own schedules, but when a team is thoroughly dismantling everyone they face how can you say they don't deserve a shot at the title?

really what we have here is yet another season demonstrating the need for a playoff, which fortunately we're getting next season

• Upvote 1

As I said in the chat the other night to much speculation, what ifs, shoulda coulda woulda that goes along with these rankings.

Whole thing should be scrapped. You can't just hand pick the two best teams in the nation, it shouldn't work that way. One of the reasons why I find the NFL so much more entertaining college football.

Just don't start counting them out yet. You really never truly know until they finally play. It may be easier to say this team would beat that team when it comes to CFB but that was the whole problem. You never got to find out. Thank god for playoffs, huh?

Edited by Barracuda

As I said in the chat the other night to much speculation, what ifs, shoulda coulda woulda that goes along with these rankings.

Whole thing should be scrapped. You can't just hand pick the two best teams in the nation, it shouldn't work that way. One of the reasons why I find the NFL so much more entertaining college football.

Just don't start counting them out yet. You really never truly know until they finally play. It may be easier to say this team would beat that team when it comes to CFB but that was the whole problem. You never got to find out. Thank god for playoffs, huh?

Ya, we'll all find out when MSU is leading OSU at half this weekend amirite? :yao:

Yeah we will find out. And you know what, I'd be glad if it went that way or any other way.

Anything other than "Oh MSU would beat Ohio St. because they crushed this team that Ohio St. barely beat. What a bunch of frauds winning by 1 point. What a joke."

That's no way to decide. Let them go at it.

• Upvote 1

Ohio State will go to the National Championship as it stands now but everyone knows they truly don't deserve to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All of these certainties with nothing to back them up.

• Upvote 1

Ohio State will go to the National Championship as it stands now but everyone knows they truly don't deserve to go.

Why not? Because they don't win pretty? Sure FSU does but they played worse teams than us.

Why not? Because they don't win pretty? Sure FSU does but they played worse teams than us.

Your best win is Wisconsin at home and in my mind that just doesn't cut it. Obviously, Michigan State will be your biggest win but that still isn't as good as going to Clemson and completely destroying them. That was probably the most impressive win of the season.

Auburn has beaten Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia. All better than Wisconsin. One loss early in the season at LSU (also better than Wisconsin) does not mean a whole lot to me. Their wins all overshadow their loss and OSU's resume. I'd take the winner of the SEC title game over OSU any day of the week. The same argument for Auburn could be made for Mizzou if they win.

Edited by BJORN

Your best win is Wisconsin at home and in my mind that just doesn't cut it. Obviously, Michigan State will be your biggest win but that still isn't as good as going to Clemson and completely destroying them. That was probably the most impressive win of the season.

Auburn has beaten Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia. All better than Wisconsin. One loss early in the season at LSU (also better than Wisconsin) does not mean a whole lot to me. Their wins all overshadow their loss and OSU's resume. I'd take the winner of the SEC title game over OSU any day of the week. The same argument for Auburn could be made for Mizzou if they win.

Clemson was overrated. The most impressive win of the season was Auburn over Alabama.

Clemson was overrated. The most impressive win of the season was Auburn over Alabama.

Not gonna argue the second point but the first is off as Clemson was possibly SLIGHTLY overrated but I'd still say they are a much more impressive team to beat on the road than beating Wisconsin at home.

Clemson may be overrated, but FSU beat them by 37 on the road throwing two passes in the fourth quarter, can't say that's not an incredibly impressive win

Guest Phailadelphia

I imagine FSU is licking their chops at the possibility they'll get to play tOSU in the NCG.

I imagine they're licking their chops regardless. I see FSU thoroughly winning the title game against anyone that isn't Alabama, unless Winston gets suspended.

Guest Phailadelphia

No argument there. I really wanted to see FSU vs Alabama. They're the one team I think stands a chance of beating Bama.

No argument there. I really wanted to see FSU vs Alabama. They're the one team I think stands a chance of beating Bama.

What do you think if Winston gets suspended? I'm not one to hope that he gets suspended for the benefit of OSU, but it is a real possibility. Does OSU stand a greater chance if he is not leading FSU's offense? I initially thought so, but OSU's defense is (IMO) the only thing holding them back from elite status and FSU's back-ups have been able to score proficiently.

you mean aside from Auburn?