Vin

Packers @ Cowboys

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131215006&home=6&vis=9

(AP) -- The Green Bay Packers won't have the injured Aaron Rodgers for a sixth straight game. Playing a backup quarterback may prove not to be a detriment against the Dallas Cowboys' league-worst defense, though.

These teams are in the hunt for division titles, and the Cowboys could be hard-pressed to stop Matt Flynn on Sunday at AT&T Stadium.

The Packers ruled Rodgers out Friday. Coach Mike McCarthy said after practice that the decision was made in the best interest of the franchise quarterback. McCarthy said Rodgers had a good week of preparation but did very little in practice Friday.

"Hey, it's not the easiest thing to sit there and tell your franchise quarterback he can't play in the game when he wants to play in the game," McCarthy said. "This is clearly a decision that's made in the best interest of Aaron Rodgers."

He added that Rodgers was "very disappointed" in the decision.

In his place, Flynn will make his third straight start. He went 24 of 32 for 258 yards with one touchdown and an interception in a 22-21 victory over Atlanta last week.

Green Bay (6-6-1) is one-half game behind NFC North co-leaders Detroit and Chicago as it returns to Arlington for the first time since Rodgers became MVP of Super Bowl XLV there in a 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh in 2011.

While the Packers do not control their destiny to win the division, the Cowboys do in the East. Dallas (7-6), which trails first-place Philadelphia by one game and hosts the Eagles in Week 17, will own the tiebreaker if it wins its last three games.

Dallas (7-6), however, probably doesn't have reason to be confident this week even with Rodgers sidelined. The Cowboys were shredded by another backup in Monday's 45-28 road loss to the Bears, as Josh McCown threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns. Chicago racked up 490 yards of offense.

The defeat marked the second time in a row Dallas has turned in an embarrassing performance in prime time after Drew Brees threw for 392 yards and four scores in a 49-17 win for New Orleans on Nov. 10. The Cowboys have allowed a league-worst 441.9 yards per game.

"Basically, we will have to make some adjustments in what we are doing defensively," owner Jerry Jones said Monday. "What that usually means is taking more risks on defense. But if you're going to have the kind of match like we had tonight or certainly in New Orleans, you have to take some risks. We have to double up and I'm sure that will be part of the plan on defense; more risks."

Flynn helped Green Bay end an 0-4-1 slide Sunday, and he's not taking anything for granted this week, noting that the Cowboys have forced 25 turnovers to tie for the fifth-highest total in the NFL.

"We've got to do our job and go out there and execute," Flynn said. "We think they're a talented defense. We know what we've got to do, we've got to try to work out any of the mistakes we're making and play a really clean game, especially there."

The Cowboys didn't force any turnovers Monday and allowed the Bears to score on their first eight possessions.

Chicago converted eight of 11 first downs, and Dallas is allowing opponents to convert 42.9 percent of the time in those situations, fifth-worst in the league.

"It isn't like they went right down the field, right down the field," defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. "Now they did but we had some third downs, we've gotta win some third downs."

The Cowboys are tied for fourth-fewest sacks in the NFL with 27. Star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, who has missed three games with a thigh injury, has a career-low six.

Dallas also won't have linebacker Sean Lee, who's been ruled out because of a neck injury.The team's second-leading tackler was injured against the Bears.

The woeful defense has put more pressure on Tony Romo, who fell to 11-16 in December on Monday. He threw for a season-low 104 yards but had three touchdown passes with no interceptions for an offense that was only on the field for 23:16 because of the problems on the other side of the ball.

"It feels like you've got to win out is what it feels like," said Romo, 2-1 in his career as a starter against Green Bay. "It's felt like that for a few weeks."

Although the Packers are familiar with this venue, Sunday marks the first time they will face the Cowboys in it. Dallas captured the last nine meetings at Texas Stadium, including three in the postseason.

The teams' previous three matchups were in Green Bay, with the Packers winning the last two. These clubs haven't matched up in three seasons.

It's gonna be a bloodbath. Matt Flynn is gonna light up these Dallas turkeys like rednecks on thanksgiving. Romo seals the game on a pick, and the Eagles secure the East. Sorry Dallas, better luck next year.

:Cowboys: 24

:Packers: 35

Eddie Lacy (ankle) is active for Week 15 against the Cowboys.

Lacy is set up for a big day against a soft Cowboys run defense missing its best player, MLB Sean Lee.
Inactive for the Packers are QB Aaron Rodgers, LB Nate Palmer, OG Lane Taylor, TE Jake Stoneburner, DL C.J. Wilson, DE Jerel Worthy and G/C J.C. Tretter.

Cowboys declared ILB Sean Lee, LB Bruce Carter, WR Dwayne Harris, S Jakar Hamilton, CB Morris Claiborne, LB Martez Wilson and OT Darrion Weems inactive for Week 15 against the Packers.

There are no surprises for Big D, but Lee's (neck) absence looms large. He's week to week, and should be considered no better than 50-50 for Week 16.

It's time for the Cowboys to clean house. New coaches, coordinators, and QB. They'll never be anything better than average with this current group.

It's time for the Cowboys to clean house. New coaches, coordinators, and QB. They'll never be anything better than average with this current group.

It's wonderful, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

I will admit I was a grinch and had absolutely no faith in this team coming out of halftime...

I can't even explain what happened. Matt Flynn looked like a hot turd. He couldn't make adjustments, or throws.. Wasn't reading the field well, and jsut held onto the ball wayyyy too long. He was completely opposite in the 2nd half.

Staying with the run, though, may be the biggest factor in the comeback. Or perhaps the unwillingness of Dallas to stick with it. Murray was a monster and would have beat us alone, if the Cowboys weren't throwing it 50 times.

All I am going to say is that Aaron better be back. I mean... There just isn't room for error anymore and if he is gonna be a little rusty, we need to shake that off before the potential division clinching game in Chicago in Week 17.

So I got the score wrong, but Romo did seal the game on a pick. Unfortunately the Eagles lost so the East is still wide open.

Edited by BringBackTebow

I mean... this isn't surprising. But does anyone even remotely feel bad for Romo? I kind of do.. Even though Garret's comments at the presser alleviate some of those feelings.

ff012t.png

New coaches, new GM. Romo doesn't need to go anywhere. He was put in a ridiculous situation that he's routinely put in by the ineptitude of those that surround him. He's going to lose a couple games when he has to win every game single-handedly. That's just how it goes.

I don't like the late picks more than anybody else, but until Jerry puts a team around this man I am not calling for his head. Garret and the entire staff can go. Cut Ware because he's ineffective. Draft some more LBs because Sean Lee can't stay healthy and Bruce Carter struggles in the 4-3 unless he's in the middle, and just start over, in general, aside from the offensive pieces. We have what we need to succeed on one side of the ball, but just don't have enough pieces on the other.

Give #9 a team and he'll lead you somewhere. Make him win games by himself and he'll falter at times, as would any QB in his situation. There's a reason Brees can't get to the playoffs when NO has a bad defense. There's a reason Rivers can't do it, either, and Romo is no different. He's human. Stop blaming him for having to do what other QBs can't do.

• Downvote 6

New coaches, new GM. Romo doesn't need to go anywhere. He was put in a ridiculous situation that he's routinely put in by the ineptitude of those that surround him. He's going to lose a couple games when he has to win every game single-handedly. That's just how it goes.

I don't like the late picks more than anybody else, but until Jerry puts a team around this man I am not calling for his head. Garret and the entire staff can go. Cut Ware because he's ineffective. Draft some more LBs because Sean Lee can't stay healthy and Bruce Carter struggles in the 4-3 unless he's in the middle, and just start over, in general, aside from the offensive pieces. We have what we need to succeed on one side of the ball, but just don't have enough pieces on the other.

Give #9 a team and he'll lead you somewhere. Make him win games by himself and he'll falter at times, as would any QB in his situation. There's a reason Brees can't get to the playoffs when NO has a bad defense. There's a reason Rivers can't do it, either, and Romo is no different. He's human. Stop blaming him for having to do what other QBs can't do.

I don't know Bware. How many chances does he get before he finally has to own up to his mistakes? My biggest question is if Romo really keeps audibling out of called runs like Garrett seems to be insinuating. If he's undermining the game plan than he certainly is responsible for these losses. As for doing what other QBs can't do. Has Brady ever had a defense? Has Rodgers? No they won rings with tissue paper for defenses. Yet Romo gets to make as much as they do, and get excused every time he fucks up? How is that fair? Superbowl QBs enhance the team around them. Romo doesn't and never has. Stop defending him.

• Downvote 1

Romo has to take some blame especially if what Garrett said is true. Romo looked off throughout the game. He had a couple nice throws but a lot of his throws were underthrown. Then if he checked out of a run on his 1st interception, he is an idiot. GB had no answer for Murray.

Anyways, GB's offense came up big in the 2nd half. Lacy has to be the frontrunner for OROY currently. Quarless and Boykin keep coming up big receptions and are making Finley and James Jones expendable.

I don't know Bware. How many chances does he get before he finally has to own up to his mistakes? My biggest question is if Romo really keeps audibling out of called runs like Garrett seems to be insinuating. If he's undermining the game plan than he certainly is responsible for these losses. As for doing what other QBs can't do. Has Brady ever had a defense? Has Rodgers? No they won rings with tissue paper for defenses. Yet Romo gets to make as much as they do, and get excused every time he fucks up? How is that fair? Superbowl QBs enhance the team around them. Romo doesn't and never has. Stop defending him.

Were you paying attention when they won Super Bowls? They had great defenses.

The last team to win a Super Bowl but not have a great defense was New Orleans, but their defense at least forced turnovers. You have to have a good PPG against defense or decent defense that also turns the ball over.

I just don't think Tony should be getting most of the blame for this loss when the defense completely collapsed against Matt motherfucking Flynn.

Matt. Flynn.

No excuses, Monte. We spotted you 36. That should have been against Matt Flynn. It should be enough 9 times out of 10 against even Aaron Rodgers.

Teams that score 36 usually win. This defense is the primary issue.

Until Tony Romo has what other great QBs have at their disposal and still fails, I'm not calling for his head.

:huh:

ty-law.jpg

I'd just like to thank everyone involved in this. Eagles still in first place.It's a thing of beauty :yep:

I don't know what you people expect of Tony Romo, but it's pretty clear that you have unrealistic expectations.

• Downvote 4

Not to throw interceptions in the 4th quarter when the teams needs to control the clock and time of possession.

Which he doesn't do that often and which no QB entirely avoids.

• Downvote 2

Dude have you checked out in December every single year for the last half-decade?

He's done it so often that people have come to expect this from him. Romo is a pretty good quarterback when a game isn't a must-win and when a particular drive is the game.

Dawg, Romo's just not as good as you think he is.

I can tell you this... Brady is in a MUCH worse situation than Romo. Prior to the start of the season, he lost his 100+ reception per year guy in Welker, one of his star TEs got sent to jail, and his other star TE got placed on PUP and didn't end up coming back until, what, week 6 or 7? Now... in season? Amendola's been healthy for only so much of the season, Vollmer got placed on IR, Vereen was out for 8 weeks, and he's had to rely on Edelman and two rookie wideouts that have had issues holding on to the ball. Oh yeah, and Gronk just got IR'd last week. Running game? Inconsistent as Ridley has had his on the bench for a good portion of the season as he's had fumbling issues. And the Pats defense? Looked good early on, but now that Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly are gone for the year, it's pretty much turned to swiss cheese now. Yet, despite all of this, the Pats are 10-4 and will soon be locking up yet another AFC East crown.

Meanwhile, Jason Witten's healthy, DeMarco Murray's healthy, Dez Bryant is healthy... ERMAHGERD ROMO HAS TO DO IT ALL BY HIMSELF!!!111 But, but, but the Cowboys have a horrendous defense! Look at the Pats defenses of the past several years. Especially that pile of dogshit defense the Pats had in 2011. They were mere minutes away from winning the SB despite that defense, too.

I can tell you first hand, Brady hasn't had a great season statistically... he's actually looked like crap a lot of the time. But he's looked tremendous in crunch time and when the Pats have had their backs against the wall big time. He lives for this comeback shit. Romo doesn't really seem to embrace the pressure situations like Brady. Kind of a big reason why the Pats have double digit wins and the Cowboys are .500.

I'm sure you'll combat my post saying ''It's the system... Pats went 11-5 without Brady!!111'', but truth of the matter is if that Ryan Mallett was running the show this team would nosedive faster than the Hindenburg.

Brady in a worse situation than Romo when Brady has the greatest coach of this generation :rofl:

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 6

Phil + F4E's posts win this thread. A few comments, though...

The Cowboys are forcing Romo down our throats, trying to prove something to the public that they don't need to.

I don't know if it's necessarily that; I just think Romo is trying too hard in situations like this, because checking out of all the run plays in the second half, as you pointed out, was incredibly dumb.

Brady in a worse situation than Romo when Brady has the greatest coach of this generation :rofl:

Hold up. Chip Kelly doesn't coach the Patriots, guy. :troll: