seanbrock

Russell Wilson's ascension to elite QB ranks

Wilson definitely played great -- there is no mistaken that. Especially for somebody who has played pretty awful and been the heel of the team for months now, you have to be very excited with his performance.

However, as others have stated. Very little was required of him (not his fault) and the numbers he put up were merely piling onto a really bad situation for Denver. Good on him, no doubt. He didn't make the boneheaded mistakes. He was efficient, etc.

I can't say he really did much wrong other than look pretty damn shaky to start (and that is to be expected in the Super Bowl to a degree). But it isn't like he carried the team (nor had to), and the contributions he did make were in a game that was already over.

• Upvote 1

The game was 29-0 before Wilson even threw his 1st TD pass (which was a ridiculous play by his receiver)...

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

Perhaps he's already surpassed their level, but if not, I hope we don't look back in a few years and add Wilson to the group that contains Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

The Seahawks would have won yesterday's game with fucking TJack at QB lol. That says enough.

The Seahawks would have won yesterday's game with fucking TJack at QB lol. That says enough.

A high school QB could, very literally, have gone out and won that game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Russell Wilson is not and probably never will be a top 5 QB in this league.

^This. He's not a prolific type, and won't ever be, and BC....don't ever compare Wilson to Ben, again. Just dumb.

After his last 9 games in this season, I don't think Wilson even cracks my top 10. He was awful for most of it. It's time to call a spade a spade, folks, and Wilson had the least to do with any Super Bowl title in recent memory. Like, it isn't even close. Arguably the worst overall Super Bowl winner of the past 5-10 years even carried his team (Flacco).

There's a difference between making plays when you need to because you sometimes have to carry your team, and then there's making plays when you need to because your team carries you, otherwise. The former is guys like Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc. The latter is Russell Wilson.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 1

Russell Wilson was never brought in to throw 50 times a game. We was brought in to WIN GAMES for a running and defensive playing football team. You bet your ass he's a fucking Seattle legend. He handled the ball with care, improvising first downs on multiple occasions, and outplayed Peyton Manning.

Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB at this point and was damn near the Super Bowl MVP.

Our division of labor might not be the flashy, traditional, gun slinging type of pussy ass arena football type of offense, but our methods work, and our quarterback is fucking good.

Kick rocks.

failroad.jpg

• Upvote 1

In the NFL, the quarterback gets way more praise than deserved in victories, and way more scrutiny in losses than deserved. Unless you're the quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.

Football is the ultimate team game :shrug:

In the NFL, the quarterback gets way more praise than deserved in victories, and way more scrutiny in losses than deserved. Unless you're the quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.

There wasn't a quarterback on your roster who'd have lost yesterday's game. That's the point. We aren't saying he deserves scrutiny, but he certainly is getting a ton of unwarranted praise.

"Russ is only 5'11, and because he pulled a Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson, we have to act like he's the second coming."

I don't think Wilson should be faulted for his team playing well. He didn't do much in the Super Bowl because he didn't have to, but he was efficient when the Hawks needed him and he didn't hurt them with turnovers to potentially let Denver back in the game. There have been times where Seattle has needed him to step up and win a game for them and more times than not he does just that.

The way I look at it is Wilson can do whatever you need him to do. He moves well the pocket. He can hurt you in the pocket and he's shown he can step up and deliver strikes. He can throw on the run and and he can pick it up himself on the ground, he can hand the ball off and work the short passing game and let his defense win games and he has the fortitude to bring his team back from big deficits. He's shown all this and it's only his second year. Sky is the limit for Wilson. Oh and he's a leader.

Edited by seanbrock

There wasn't a quarterback on your roster who'd have lost yesterday's game. That's the point. We aren't saying he deserves scrutiny, but he certainly is getting a ton of unwarranted praise.

"Russ is only 5'11, and because he pulled a Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson, we have to act like he's the second coming."

That's not the point. The point is he would have had 3 TD passes and 300 yards, and probably a bunch on the ground if he didn't play on such a good team. There will come a point in time where the division of labor will be much different. Until then, I'll settle for these "pedestrian" 200 2TD Super Bowl winning performances.

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't understand the Dilfer/Johnson comparisons. Russell Wilson is only in his second year and, due really to nothing more than a Super Bowl win in which his defense did the heavy lifting, we're already relegating him to eternal mediocrity? Why?

Let me put it this way. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers can all carry their teams to the Super Bowl. Could Wilson have done that if the Seahawks had a mediocre defense?

Guest Phailadelphia

Let me put it this way. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers can all carry their teams to the Super Bowl. Could Wilson have done that if the Seahawks had a mediocre defense?

Why does he have to be compared to those 3?

Brady NEVER carried his team to a Super Bowl. Are you serious dude? The Pats teams that won the 3 titles were stacked.

The year the Packers beat the Steelers, they had a pretty good defense.

Saints D wasn't the greatest the year Brees won it, but they did create lots of turnovers, including the Tracy Porter pick 6 that won it.

A QB can never entirely carry a team to win a Super Bowl on his own. I don't see how this continues to be a talking point.

I'm not saying that Brady was the one who won those SBs by himself, but instead that those teams have a shot at the big one every year. They are almost always locks for the playoffs and every time they get there it's a 1/12 shot at winning it all. Look at the Pats this year. They got to the conference championship with an extremely weak team. It was excellent coaching, yes, but Brady has the ability to take control and lead his team to victory. There are some other guys who could do it too. Luck is beginning to look like he could join the club. A massive comeback against the Chiefs showed it. When you have an outstanding QB you will always have hope to win it all (Though I can't argue that defense is usually what WILL win the big game.)

Why does he have to be compared to those 3?

Those 3 have an extremely good shot every year.

And with that, this thread is closed.

/thread.

• Downvote 1

Wilson doesn't turn the ball over unlike Kaepernick with his idiocy

Wilson doesn't turn the ball over unlike Kaepernick with his idiocy

Unless you watched the NFCCG in which both guys were trying to lose the game. lol

Guest Phailadelphia

In no way shape or form did Wilson yesterday prove he's an elite QB.

In his place, would Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees have had to prove anything? I feel like we're discounting Wilson's skillset because defense and special teams were so good. This thread seems to be operating under the assumption that Wilson is no more than a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson simply because QB heroics weren't needed to win.

I think some are also forgetting the dude is in his 2nd year. How long does it take most QBs to really enter their prime? 3, 4, 5 years?

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1