Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Teams that NEED to draft/upgrade at QB

:Titans:

-Fitzpatrick is decent, but he needs an elite team around him. Which you don't have.

I don't entirely disagree with the assessment that the Titans need to draft a new QB, but I think it's a pretty egregious oversight to not mention Locker, his health is enough of an issue that I don't think we can rely on him as our #1, the one thing he's got going for him is that you could categorize any of the injuries as fluky, it's not like he's re-injured the same joint three times, but when you have three fluky injuries in two years it's tough to consider them just flukes

The Cardinals do need to draft a QB for the future yes, but Carson Palmer is a perfectly legit stopgap.

Since this is in smack. I think you're a fool for calling Eli a goner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Eli's career is done. Even if he doesn't throw 50 INTs next season, typical Eli is merely average on his best days.

The Bears definitely need to upgrade, and that they will with both their QBs hitting the open market this year. Under Trestman, McCown has proven to be a more than reliable short-term guy. Can he carry that over next year? I think the Bears should signed McCown to a 1-3 year deal for a couple million and draft a QB extremely high (depending how their board falls or where they see value)... Let him sit there, get a full grasp of the offense, and let him take over for McCown whenever that may be.

Overall though, I can't really argue with the list. Well done, man. +1

Edited by Favre4Ever

I don't support riding on Cassel's tails, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for one more year and focusing entirely on drafting defense this draft.

As to the post in general, very well done. I laughed at more than a few of your lines. :laugh: I was a bit surprised that the Chiefs didn't make the "barely missed the cut" list. The jury is still out on Smith with me, but he's looking more promising than I originally anticipated. This year's playoff run will be very telling, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't support riding on Cassel's tails, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for one more year and focusing entirely on drafting defense this draft.

You should be very, very opposed to this. All it takes is one half of a season with Cassel to go 2-14. He's terrible. He has moments where he makes a few good plays, but you'd better hope that doesn't cloud the front office's judgement concerning this guy. He's a vacuum.

It starts with a TO that "wasn't really his fault." Wait, didn't he have one of those against Philly that almost let them come back and steal that game away last week? That will generally lead to him forcing a throw, which could be construed as "understandable in that situation." Then his feet start dancing in the pocket. Maybe he holds onto the ball a half a second too long, and the ball gets stripped out, but "hey, it happens." After the blowout, he's got three TO's all by his lonesome. The thing is though, they were right there. They had a chance to win that game. It was just bad luck. It happens.

Then it happens again the next week. "They were in the game, man. They should have won that game walking away. If they (Cassel) can just get the turnover problem under control, they'll be fine. It's only two games." The next game, Cassel plays pretty well. The problem is, AP—while rushing for 127 yards—fumbles twice. In the fourth quarter, down by one score, Cassel does his best Tony Romo job and throws a pick, leading to the lead-extending score to seal the game.

The defense played great, but you can only ask so much of them. They're starting to get annoyed with putting the offense in a position to win games only to have offense put them back in a position to lose them. On top of that, this defense that you've spent time and effort into drafting is now starting to look, on paper, like a waste of both.

After a couple more games littered with TO's, dropped passes, and errant throws, the fans start turning on the team. In threads with titles like "Start studded defense underacheiving" and "Why can't we win with AP?" every avenue leads to Cassel. "It doesn't matter how good the defense is. Cassel ruins everything." "Who cares how good AP is? Cassel is just gonna fuck everything up anyway."

When the sun doesn't shine as bright, it's Cassel's fault. When your coffee gets cold, it's Cassel's fault. It consumes everything and everyone around the team. Suddenly the defense isn't playing with urgency. The receivers are dogging routs. The O-line is starting to struggle, and it's all because no matter how well any of these units were playing, Matt fucking Cassel would always find a way to make their effort moot.

The frustration sets in, and the season is lost. Now the front end is on the hot seat, Frazier is on his way out of town, and the fans are on a which hunt. It's all because the team decided to ride out one more year with Cassel while they put the rest of the team together—a team that is staring at the possibility of being dismantled now because Cassel sucks so hard that he's sucked everyone into a hole with him.

This is the lesson that the Cheifs learned. Just something to think about.

Edited by B-isforBowe

I don't entirely disagree with the assessment that the Titans need to draft a new QB, but I think it's a pretty egregious oversight to not mention Locker, his health is enough of an issue that I don't think we can rely on him as our #1, the one thing he's got going for him is that you could categorize any of the injuries as fluky, it's not like he's re-injured the same joint three times, but when you have three fluky injuries in two years it's tough to consider them just flukes

If you can look at yourself seriously in the mirror and say "Jake Locker is the future and will get the Titans over the hump." without having any part of your face twitch, then I have a few doctors I could recommend for your condition.

Since this is in smack. I think you're a fool for calling Eli a goner.

You're a fool for thinking Eli is anything above average. Other than the two years where the Giants won the Super Bowl with mind you an obscene amount of talent surrounding him and a few good playoff games, what has Eli done? He's peaked and it will be a very tough decision for the Giants, but it would be the right one to start looking for his replacement as soon as possible. Now is not the time to be stuck in the past, because Eli won't be taking them anywhere in the future. The sooner the Giants see that, the better. It's not an easy decision, but it's the right one.

If you can look at yourself seriously in the mirror and say "Jake Locker is the future and will get the Titans over the hump." without having any part of your face twitch, then I have a few doctors I could recommend for your condition.

I'm not saying he's undoubtedly the future of the position, note that I didn't really question the Titans' inclusion on the list and to be entirely honest at this point I'd say it's doubtful at best that he lasts more than one more season with the team, but he's undoubtedly a part of the QB picture for next season (if only because he's only costing us about $2M, $4M against the cap) which is why I found it to be an oversight to completely ignore him

I'm not saying he's undoubtedly the future of the position, note that I didn't really question the Titans' inclusion on the list and to be entirely honest at this point I'd say it's doubtful at best that he lasts more than one more season with the team, but he's undoubtedly a part of the QB picture for next season (if only because he's only costing us about $2M, $4M against the cap) which is why I found it to be an oversight to completely ignore him

Yes he will be on the Titans roster next season. I concur with this statement. Didn't mean to "oversee" Locker, just more stating that I personally think Fitzpatrick is a better quarterback than he is.

Seriously? People on here were rating him above Peyton two years ago. Let's go find the thread. He also is one of the best postseason quarterbacks. And you say his career is done? I think with a good supporting cast he will have at least a few more playoff wins. Quarterbacks don't need 5000 yards and 40 Tds to be successful. 4500 yards and 35TDs with 12 or fewer picks is more than fine. I'm expecting to see lines like that again numerous more times.

• Downvote 2

Eli has never had a 4500 / 35 / 12 year. Lmao.

I agree with Bowe, but something must be said about having much, MUCH better receivers than he did in KC. It's not even close. That could be making the difference, right now.

I actually like Ponder as a player because he has guts, but at least Cassel can find Greg Jennings. Ponder drops back and starts playing Where's Waldo until it's too late in the play and bails to Rudolph/Carlson.

Imagine Tony Romo with Arizona. Immediate contenders.

Think about it, Jerry. Rebuild. From scratch.

Seriously? People on here were rating him above Peyton two years ago. Let's go find the thread. He also is one of the best postseason quarterbacks. And you say his career is done? I think with a good supporting cast he will have at least a few more playoff wins. Quarterbacks don't need 5000 yards and 40 Tds to be successful. 4500 yards and 35TDs with 12 or fewer picks is more than fine. I'm expecting to see lines like that again numerous more times.

yes, some people on here have had Eli over Peyton, and those people are stupid, Eli had two great playoff runs, that's it, to use your numbers, Eli has had 4500 yards once in his career (2011) he's never had 35 TDs in a season, and he's had 12 or fewer picks twice, one of which was his rookie year when he only played 9 games (7 starts) and still threw 9 picks, so even by your numbers Eli doesn't measure up

oh, and FW, the only thing Fitzpatrick has over Locker is the apparent ability to play 16 games in a single year

Edited by oochymp

oh, and FW, the only thing Fitzpatrick has over Locker is the apparent ability to play 16 games in a single year

Well isn't durability one of the most desirable attributes of a quarterback? Gimme the average guy that can gut it out over the quarterback with all the potential in the world that has to remain on the sidelines.

Kinda like how the Bengals felt about Greg Cook back in the day.

Imagine Tony Romo with Arizona. Immediate contenders.

Think about it, Jerry. Rebuild. From scratch.

Are you suggesting the Cowboys trade Romo to Arizona?

Well isn't durability one of the most desirable attributes of a quarterback? Gimme the average guy that can gut it out over the quarterback with all the potential in the world that has to remain on the sidelines.

Kinda like how the Bengals felt about Greg Cook back in the day.

and if you'd stated that in the initial post I would have had no issue, it was just the fact that a QB who was very recently viewed as the Titans' QB of the future and will almost undoubtedly be on the roster next year was not mentioned in a post stating the team needs a new QB that seemed off to me

• Upvote 1

I am surprised Cowboy fans even trust Jerry to rebuild... Isn't it all going to just end the same way? :laugh:

Definitely on the notion that it's time for the Cowboys to move on from Tony Romo. His back is a major concern right now, and he's going to hit a slippery slop soon to begin his decline. If the Cowboys don't start looking now, they may just miss their chance and end up another mediocre team without a quarterback that can carry the team.

As for Andy Dalton, why are we so quick to derail the Bengals and Dalton being a force? Does he make a lot of mistakes? Absolutely. But he's improved every year he's been in the league. Although, we can just as easily point that everything improves yet his interceptions have gone up every year too. The problem with Dalton at this point is that he's Jeckyl & Hyde. One or two weeks in a row the guy will throw gems, the next one or two weeks he'll look like Christian Ponder. He just needs to find his consistency, and he'll be good quarterback.

Ah, what the hell am I saying. My team has Matt Ryan at the helms. :shifty: [/jokesonownteam]