Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Colts @ Pats

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20140111017&home=17&vis=11

(AP) -- In just two seasons, Andrew Luck has shown an uncanny knack for winning close games with the Indianapolis Colts.

His lone appearance against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots was anything but close.

The Colts suffered their worst loss with Luck last season at New England, but the stakes will be higher in Saturday night's AFC divisional playoff matchup at Gillette Stadium.

Indianapolis (12-5) turned in the most stunning performance of the postseason to this point by rallying from a 28-point deficit in the second half last Saturday for a 45-44 home win over Kansas City. Luck was the catalyst, throwing for four touchdowns and 443 yards - many of which came after the Colts' fate seemed doomed thanks to his three interceptions.

"It was a tremendous performance coming back in the second half," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "They did a really good job in all three areas of the game. This is a team that's well coached, that's had a real good season. They beat some of the best teams in the league, in both the AFC and the NFC. They've just been impressive."

Luck's Colts are now 14-2 in games decided by seven or fewer points.

These teams met in 10 straight regular seasons before that streak ended in 2013, and New England (12-4) cruised to a 59-24 win Nov. 18, 2012, in the last matchup. Brady went 24 of 35 for 331 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions, while Luck was 27 of 50 for 334 yards, two scores and three INTs.

"I don't want to dwell too much on last year," Luck said. "They do a great job of forcing turnovers, getting to the quarterback. We know it's going to be a dogfight."

One notable effort from last year was T.Y Hilton's six catches for 100 yards and two scores. The Patriots will no doubt have their full attention on the second-year receiver after he caught 13 passes for 224 yards and two scores against the Chiefs last week.

"He's productive at all three levels of the defense," Belichick said. "He's a vertical receiver, he's a good intermediate receiver and he's a good catch-and-run short receiver that can turn short plays into big plays."

The Patriots will counter with one of the best cornerback tandems in the league in rookie Logan Ryan and Aqib Talib, who combined for nine interceptions for the AFC East champions.

One concern for New England is an injury-plagued group of linebackers down to six - three who have seen little action. That trio doesn't include backup Dane Fletcher, who will start in place of Brandon Spikes.

"Everybody has to step up," Fletcher said. "Everybody's role kind of increases on defense, especially in the linebacker unit."

It hasn't been a vintage season for Brady, whose 87.3 passer rating is his lowest in a full season since 2003. He has been sacked 40 times, the most since his first full year in 2001.

The number of times he has been dropped no doubt adds to his awareness of Robert Mathis, who led the NFL with 19 1/2 sacks in the regular season and added one last weekend.

"He's a great player and been a great player for a long time," said Brady about Mathis. "We've played these guys a bunch over the years. We kind of know what we're up against. He's having one of the best years of his career."

The Patriots' offense hasn't been the same with Rob Gronkowski out for the season with a knee injury after he only saw action in seven games. That came after the embattled Aaron Hernandez was let go and Wes Welker departed to Denver.

What Brady did have at his disposal was a running game in which Stevan Ridley and LeGarrette Blount combined for 1,545 yards and 14 scores. Brandon Bolden and Shane Vereen have also been a factor running the football.

"It's a heck of a challenge," Colts coach Chuck Pagano said. "What LeGarrette is doing and Ridley and certainly with Shane coming in, and Bolden is no slouch. I mean, they've got a stable of guys that are all more than capable."

Brady's preferred target in 2013 was Julian Edelman, who posted career highs of 105 catches and 1,056 yards receiving.

One of Brady's former receivers, Deion Branch, was signed Monday by Indianapolis. Branch, a former Super Bowl MVP with New England, started four of 10 games for the Patriots last year.

"Having had some time spent there, we figured that the questions were going to come up 'If you're signing this guy who spent time in New England, is it just a coincidence or do you need the guy to help you win a football game?'" Pagano said. "We think we got a heck of a football player."

Branch was signed since Darrius Heyward-Bey injured a hamstring last weekend.

The Colts also have numerous injuries on defense. Starting cornerback Greg Toler (groin) and defensive end Fili Moala (knee) were placed on injured reserve this week while safety LaRon Landry is dealing with a concussion.

Landry was a full participant at Wednesday's practice and coaches are hopeful he will play.

The home team has captured all three postseason meetings, with New England winning twice.

Two teams who can under-perform for 3 quarters and then find a miraculous way to win. That said, I don't believe that the Colts will be able to eek past Tommy Terrific like they did the Chiefs.

:patriots: 41

:Colts: 30

Biggest blowout of the week. Colts get TY Hilton removed from their gameplan by Aqib Talib.

:Colts: 21

:Patriots: 41

I'm scared.

Edelman will have 15 catches on 20 targets because Brady has no one else to throw to. Forecast is rain which I think works in our favor. I think we're better equipped to handle the Northeast weather than the dome team is.

Rain and wind won't help the dome babies. :nope:

:Patriots: 30

:Colts: 17

You might focus on T.Y. Hilton, but that just leaves Lavon Brazill and Da'Rick Rogers to eviscerate you. The Colts can only be stopped by themselves, since they never get penalties called on them, and they scarcely turn the ball over. They may better coached than the Pats. =O Put me down for the upset.

:Colts: 37

:Patriots: 30

I think New England's lack of weapons is going to backfire, hardcore. Not that the Colts are a very good team, but the Patriots are just missing too much to compensate.

:Colts: 31

:Patriots: 13

• Downvote 1

I think New England's lack of weapons is going to backfire, hardcore. Not that the Colts are a very good team, but the Patriots are just missing too much to compensate.

:Colts: 31

:Patriots: 13

You're fucking stupid, Bware lol.

Colts just got torched for 44 points by a shitty ass depleted Chiefs team and yet you not only think the Colts will win, but blowout the Pats on the road, in the wind and rain? Dumb motherfucker lmao.

Excuse me for not fearing the Hobbit Squad + Tom Brady.

Excuse me for not fearing the Hobbit Squad + Tom Brady.

Pats have played pretty much the entire year with basically half the team on IR and yet all they've managed to do is go 12-4 and get a 1st round bye. This Pats team might be heavily injured and not have the most talent, but they have a shit ton of heart and can go toe-to-toe with any team in the league.

Bware probably still salty over the Ravens (his 4th favorite team) getting their asses kicked 41-7 in Baltimore by a depleted Pats team with zero weapons...

django-unchained.gif

And once again you're going to have a great regular season only to lose by double digits in the playoffs. It might not happen this week, but I think it will, and it certainly will next week.

And once again you're going to have a great regular season only to lose by double digits in the playoffs. It might not happen this week, but I think it will, and it certainly will next week.

They probably won't win, but they ain't getting blown out by Chargers/Broncos. Sorry your anti-Pats bias gets in the way of realizing that, brah.

As for Saturday night, enjoy the Colts eating shit at Gillette...

smug_obama.jpg

Colts in for a letdown game.

31-10 Patriots

Andrew Luck, with the aid of the weather gods, is going to do in one year what it took Peyton three years to do: beat the Pats in the playoffs.

:bookit:

They probably won't win, but they ain't getting blown out by Chargers/Broncos. Sorry your anti-Pats bias gets in the way of realizing that, brah.

As for Saturday night, enjoy the Colts eating shit at Gillette...

smug_obama.jpg

Oh so Brady's going to will you to a win with absolutely no weapons?

Nah. He's not. Y'all are done, and it doesn't even matter that these Colts aren't a great team.

I'll take the happy medium road. The Patriots aren't gonna steamroll anybody, but the Colts defense will be exposed.

:patriots: 24

:Colts: 13

Shane Vereen (groin) is active for Saturday's Divisional Round game against the Colts.

As is Kenbrell Thompkins (hip). Vereen played through his groin issue in Week 17, and is ready to roll in rain-soaked New England.
Inactive for the Patriots are WR Aaron Dobson, OG Chris Barker, DE Jake Bequette, LB Steve Beauharnais, DB Justin Green, DT Isaac Sopoaga and TE D.J. Williams.

Darrius Heyward-Bey (hamstring) is inactive for the Divisional Round against the Patriots.

As is saboteur Deion Branch. A special teamer, DHB will likely be ready to go if the Colts advance to the AFC Championship Game.
Also inactive for the Colts are WR Josh Lenz, CB Sheldon Price, LB Daniel Adongo, C Khaled Holmes and OG Joe Reitz.

Pats 27 Colts 16

833021378.gif

in before Phil "lolBware"

i'd like to thank the tampa bay and the buccaneers for the nice and fun things to win this game

• Upvote 2