Vin

49ers @ Panthers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20140112029&home=29&vis=25

(AP) -- While San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick aims to continue his postseason success with a much better performance than his last against Carolina, the Panthers' Cam Newton won't make too much of his playoff debut.

Trying for an eighth straight victory that would send them to their third consecutive NFC championship game, Kaepernick and the visiting 49ers look to avenge a regular-season loss to Newton and the Panthers on Sunday.

In perhaps the roughest of his 27 career starts, Kaepernick went 11 of 22 for a season-low 91 yards with an interception, was sacked a career-high six times and rushed for 16 during San Francisco's 10-9 home loss to Carolina on Nov. 10. By holding the hosts to a season-low 151 yards to win their fourth straight in the series, the Panthers also cooled off a 49ers team that at the time was riding a five-game winning streak during which it averaged 34.8 points.

"We owe 'em," Kaepernick said after he threw for 227 yards and ran for 98 during a 23-20 wild-card victory at Green Bay on Sunday.

Bucking the elements by not wearing long sleeves, Kaepernick improved to 3-1 in the postseason. He defied the bitter cold and harsh winds to complete 16 of 30 passes, including eight for 125 yards to Michael Crabtree and a key fourth-quarter 28-yard scoring strike to a well-covered Vernon Davis.

Kaepernick averaged only 32.8 rushing yards during the regular season, but he often used his legs to keep drives alive against the Packers. His 11-yard run on third-and-8 set up Phil Dawson's 33-yard field goal as time expired.

Kaepernick has gained 362 yards while averaging 11.3 per run in his four postseason games.

"Our defensive ends can't get too far past the quarterback or he takes off and it gives him huge lanes," said Panthers defensive tackle Dwan Edwards, who took down Kaepernick for two of his three sacks this season. "It's important that everyone stays in their lanes and when someone does get out of their lane we have to cover that up quickly."

The Panthers understand containing Kaepernick a second time likely won't be easy, even for a defense that was second in the NFL with 301.2 yards and 15.1 points allowed per contest, while topping the league with 60 sacks. During the 49ers' current seven-game run, Kaepernick has averaged 231.7 passing yards, thrown 11 TDs with two INTs and averaged 6.7 yards per rush while posting a 101.7 passer rating.

"I expect the young man to come out and play well," said Ron Rivera, the once-embattled Carolina coach who will guide the Panthers to their first playoff appearance in five seasons after going 12-4 to win the NFC South.

"All you have to do is watch the way he has played down the stretch," Rivera added.

Kaepernick also will have a stronger supporting cast this time.

Crabtree, who missed the first meeting with the Panthers while recovering from a serious Achilles injury, has 28 receptions for 410 yards and three touchdowns in his last four postseason games. Davis, who left that contest early with a concussion, has 24 receptions for 583 yards with six TDs in six career postseason contests.

Frank Gore was held to 66 yards on 20 carries last weekend, but scored a TD for the fourth straight postseason game.

"It's a team game and it's going to take a little bit from everybody," Crabtree said. "I think we got those key players."

So do the Panthers, none more important than Newton.

After a sub-standard follow-up to his stellar 2011 rookie season, Newton bounced back in 2013 to set career highs in touchdown passes (24), completion percentage (61.7) and passer rating (88.8) while also rushing for 585 yards and six scores. He's helped the Panthers win 11 of 12, leading four game-winning drives during that span.

Now, he will try to push aside the hype of his first playoff experience to help Carolina end a two-game postseason slide. The Panthers are seeking their first playoff victory since a 29-21 win at Chicago on Jan. 15, 2006 in the divisional round.

"You don't want to be overthinking things," Newton said. "I have yet to experience a playoff game, but I know the atmosphere will be hectic to say the least."

Newton, however, must improve after Carolina's offense was held to 17 or fewer points in two of the past four games. He completed 57.1 percent of his passes for 330 yards with three TDs and two INTs in the last two, but beat New Orleans and Atlanta.

"I need to be better, not missing throws that I'm capable of making," said Newton, who went 16 of 32 for 169 yards with an interception at San Francisco (13-4) this season.

Newton hopes to have receiver Steve Smith back after he injured his knee against the Saints and missed the regular-season finale against the Falcons. Though Smith has not caught more than six passes or recorded more than 69 receiving yards in a game in 2013, he has seven touchdowns in eight career postseason contests.

Smith, however, says his knee isn't getting much better. He practiced for the second straight day Thursday on a limited basis, saying, "It didn't feel as great as I thought it'd feel."

Smith caught six passes for 63 yards Nov. 10 against the 49ers, who have outscored their last seven opponents 182-114.

Carolina has posted a 200-84 scoring advantage while winning seven straight home games since a 12-7 season-opening loss to Seattle.

The Panthers last made the playoffs in the 2008 season, also finishing 12-4 to win the South and earn a first-round bye before losing 33-13 to Arizona. Taking the next step after a stellar regular season will again be the focus for Carolina.

"It is one of the goals you set for yourself and for your team," Rivera said. "We accomplished that first one (by winning the division) but there is a lot more left to go."

I love that the Panthers are underdogs despite being in our home stadium and beating them earlier in the season.

I keep hearing about their injuries during the week 10 game. "The Niners didn't have Crabtree, Vernon, Reid, or Aldon for that game."

The Niners had Vernon- we knocked him out.

They had Reid- he tried to tackle Tolbert.

They had Aldon, albeit being used in a limited role- he did nothing.

The only one they have back that they didn't have for that game is Crabtree. And they don't have Manningham any more. Not to mention the refs gifting them three points during that game by calling a clear Vernon Davis fumble an incomplete pass. And that this is a totally different game.

This of course doesn't mention the numerous starters we had out as well.

I also hear about Kaep being red-hot: newsflash! He was red-hot prior to getting hit in the mouth by the Panthers defense last time as well. (102 passer rating in six games prior to the Panthers game in week 10, 103 passer rating in the last six games the Niners have played now.)

I get that the Niners are hot. I am also not saying 100% the Panthers are going to win it. But all the pundits and all the "experts" are talking as if the Niners are already in the NFC Championship game playing Seattle, (discounting the Saints as well, while we're at it, that's a totally different team than the one that got spanked by the Hawks).

I hope the team takes a look at how everyone is counting them out and use it as motivation. Carolina can win this game. They have the talent to do it. Assuming Shula and Rivera don't revert to their pre week 3 selves, we can beat the Niners. We did it once on their turf. We can do it again on ours.

:49ers: 16

:panthers: 20

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Downvote 1

Hmm. I think the 49ers have the experience to win in a close slugfest, Kaepernick has been steadily improving throughout the season and I think he can make the game winning plays when it matters. Plus Phil Dawson kicking field goals? Panthers plz.

:panthers: 13

• Upvote 1

Run the ball, play defense, you win in the playoffs. Both of these teams do that in spades. I think this game comes down to trench play, where the Panthers have the ability to dominate san fran, and keep Craepernick in the pocket while keeping Gore in check. Also, don't be surprised if Cam has a big day throwing the ball.

:panthers: 27

:49ers: 20

If the Panthers win just don't let either NO or SEA make the SB. >_>

The reason I like the 49ers here is because they've been here. They're a proven winner in January. Game could go either way.

I honestly feel like the 49ers will take this one from the very first snap.

:49ers: 21

:panthers: 10

• Upvote 1

If the Panthers win just don't let either NO or SEA make the SB. >_>

So long as you do the same.

Especially if its Nawlins.

I honestly feel like the 49ers will take this one from the very first snap.

:49ers: 21

:panthers: 10

The Niners ain't getting in the endzone three times. Unless that's seven field goals.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Downvote 1

No, that's 3 TDs with the likes of Davis, Crabtree, and Boldin on the field, and all healthy.

The 49ers have the best arsenal of weapons remaining that's also paired with a great defense. If Denver had a great defense, it would be different, but what the 49ers have right now, and have healthy, paired with that great defensive group, is absolutely fantastic.

The 9ers NEED to win it this year, or they aren't going to any time soon.

This game to me is the most up in the air game in the week. I think that as long as Carolina's D shows up and Cammy-cam doesn't absolutely suck (a repeat of his performance in the 49ers game earlier in the season isn't going to get it done in the playoffs) the Panthers should have it.

I'm not going to be surprised with whatever happens though.

Edited by Vin

"We owe them.."

Yeah, we do!

49ers - 27

Panthers -17

I'd love to know why you think SF is going to score more on Carolina than they did on GB.

• Downvote 1

Not sure why the 49ers seem to be taking the majority of everyone's picks. Without Carlos Rogers, and Steve Smith active, it just makes the Panthers that much more dangerous.

I like the Panthers in this one. They are going into this game confident, but I doubt arrogant. To me, this could be the best playoff game of the 2013 playoffs. Two absolutely great defense's and overall teams, it should be a great game.

As long as Cam doesn't get too crazy and turn the ball over. I think Carolina will win this in a close game.

Who is going to run the ball better? That's who wins.

49ers LCB Carlos Rogers (hamstring) is inactive for Week 19 against the Panthers.

Rogers didn't practice at all this week and wasn't expected to play. Tramaine Brock and Tarell Brown will handle outside cornerback duties, with Perrish Cox manning the slot.
Also inactive for the 49ers are TE Derek Carrier, OL Ryan Seymour, DL Quinton Dial, OL Joe Looney, WR Jon Baldwin, and LB Nick Moody.

Steve Smith (knee) is officially active for Sunday's Divisional Round game against the 49ers.

As expected. Smith's game-day status was never in real doubt, but his availability remains a question mark. Brandon LaFell, Greg Olsen, and Ted Ginn are going to have to contribute if the Panthers are going to win.
Inactive for the Panthers are Jonathan Stewart (knee), WR Tavarres King, WR Marvin McNutt, CB Josh Norman, LB Dan Connor, OL Travis Bond, and DE Wes Horton.

Panthers gonna beat the Niners deep multiple times to set up a sustainable running game and take it to the Niners. BOOK THAT SHIT!

(my predictions are usually wildly inaccurate, I am sorry Carolina).

Panthers playing D like they need to to win this game. Let's see what the offense has... BLOW OUT CITY upcoming.

I know this is cheating since I'm late, but...

:panthers: 13

I was looking forward to an AFC North style game, and so far it seems to be just that: very physical, lots of defense. Let's see what $cam can do.

Love the way the Panthers have played today.. LOVE IT. If they don't pull through, I am going to be so pissed.

Quite the travesty that the Niners are up right now. If you are the panthers, that has to be super deflating.

My football erection has long since disappeared.

I R So Disappoint.