Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

State of the Franchise: Atlanta Falcons

I keep hearing Clowney talk with the Falcons being interested in him, crossing fingers he don't end up in ATL. You all do need some serious O-Line help though Robinson would be huge or Matthews where you all sit at in the draft.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said it still bothers him that Atlanta's offensive linemen didn't go after Saints S Kenny Vaccaro when he laid a questionable hit on Matt Ryan in Week 1.

The Falcons have made it a priority to get tougher up front. They inked RG Jon Asamoah, a nasty run blocker with a mean streak, and re-signed C Joe Hawley, who gave the unit a backbone when he was inserted into the starting lineup. Atlanta could get even more ferocious by drafting Auburn OT Greg Robinson.

I think our offensive line is really gonna pick up the slack next season. I like the fact we re-signed Hawley. Not great, but def gets the job done.

If Sam Baker gets his life together...I think our offensive line can do big things next year...esp. if we add Robinson or Matthews and someone in the later rounds.

I honestly believe we should bring in CJ at the right price. S-Jax can't do it alone..and while I expect Quizz to be used more. The retirement of Snelling hurts greatly in the passing dept. CJ would be a nice addition.

Has nothing to do with Bakers life, he just has to stay healthy. He battled knee and foot injuries all season even when he was playing. He never came out of pre-season right. Adding Asomoah was huge, in fact it's so huge for us that it could make even more sense to take a rookie tackle at this point. Give the rookie duties next to Asomoah, it may take a lot of pressure off them.

Then again, it still makes sense to go after a pass rusher as well. It's so up int he air at this point as to what Dimitroff does.

Personally the closer the draft gets,I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back and take a much needed coverage safety in the first. Or at least, I think at this point I'm hoping for that. Dwight Lowery is no longer a starting safety in this league. 1. Pass rusher, 2. Safety, 3. OT.

As you can see, my draft hopes continue to change as we go. I'm sure I won't be upset with any player we take at 6. Mack would still be amazing.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said it still bothers him that Atlanta's offensive linemen didn't go after Saints S Kenny Vaccaro when he laid a questionable hit on Matt Ryan in Week 1.

The Falcons have made it a priority to get tougher up front. They inked RG Jon Asamoah, a nasty run blocker with a mean streak, and re-signed C Joe Hawley, who gave the unit a backbone when he was inserted into the starting lineup. Atlanta could get even more ferocious by drafting Auburn OT Greg Robinson.

I think our offensive line is really gonna pick up the slack next season. I like the fact we re-signed Hawley. Not great, but def gets the job done.

If Sam Baker gets his life together...I think our offensive line can do big things next year...esp. if we add Robinson or Matthews and someone in the later rounds.

I honestly believe we should bring in CJ at the right price. S-Jax can't do it alone..and while I expect Quizz to be used more. The retirement of Snelling hurts greatly in the passing dept. CJ would be a nice addition.

Has nothing to do with Bakers life, he just has to stay healthy. He battled knee and foot injuries all season even when he was playing. He never came out of pre-season right. Adding Asomoah was huge, in fact it's so huge for us that it could make even more sense to take a rookie tackle at this point. Give the rookie duties next to Asomoah, it may take a lot of pressure off them.

Then again, it still makes sense to go after a pass rusher as well. It's so up int he air at this point as to what Dimitroff does.

Personally the closer the draft gets,I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back and take a much needed coverage safety in the first. Or at least, I think at this point I'm hoping for that. Dwight Lowery is no longer a starting safety in this league. 1. Pass rusher, 2. Safety, 3. OT.

As you can see, my draft hopes continue to change as we go. I'm sure I won't be upset with any player we take at 6. Mack would still be amazing.

I know it's not his life. Just being a dick :p

But yeah, I don't think we can go wrong at 6....unless his name is Anthony Barr out of desperation if Mack and Clowney are both gone.

I see it as us taking a Pass Rusher/OT if we stay 6/38. I think we could take OT at 6 and then a guy like Attaouchu out of GT at 38.

Personally, I'd like to see us grab Mack at 6, Morgan Moses at 38, and then LaMarcus Joyner with our third rounder. 3 huge holes filled right there.

Apparently, the Texans have asked the Falcons for "RG3 like deal".

Citing "word on the street," ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that the Texans are asking the Falcons for a Robert Griffin III-like trade haul to get from No. 6 overall to No. 1.

In 2012, the Redskins sent the Rams three first-round picks and a second-round pick to jump from No. 6 to No. 2 overall, where they drafted RG3 behind Andrew Luck. The move made more sense with Washington pursuing a quarterback. Clowney has a chance to be great, but even if he has a Hall of Fame career, would not offer the impact of a franchise quarterback. Per Werder, the "dialogue" between the Texans and Falcons is "legitimate, and continues as we speak."

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter what caliber player Clowney is. He could be the next Reggie White for all that matters, and he still wouldn't be worth a trade like that. Would he be worth trading up for? Absolutely. Look at it this way though, you can argue that what the Redskins traded to the Rams for RG3 wasn't worth it, I don't think it was. That was for a quarterback. I just don't think anyone can argue that a defensive lineman can bring the kind of impact to a football team that a franchise quarterback can, no matter how good that guy is.

I hope to all that is above us that Dimitroff doesn't pull the trigger on this deal. It would be dumb. Mortgage the farm on a defensive lineman, who's heard of such a thing.

Even more so, the Texans have no leverage in this one. They're going to have to accept less knowing that we can have an easy trade partner in the Rams at #2 for much, much less than what we would have to give up to move to #1. Or even better, we could stay put and get a starting caliber (possibly future pro-bowler) player at another position of need, or even on the DL at #6.

At this point, I'm almost positive that the Texans don't want Clowney. If they did, there would be no influence to trade down in the draft. I really do think that the Texans want Manziel or Mack but they don't want to take them at #1 knowing they could both fall out of the top 5. Then there's another part of this where I don't even really believe the Texans know who in the heck they want.

I will be terribly disappointed if the Falcons move up to number one to take Clowney.

I am not a fan anymore. I wish we could get Mack in some way though..but I guess I'll have to settle with Matthews or Robinson :sigh:

I will be terribly disappointed if the Falcons move up to number one to take Clowney.

I really doubt that we give up that much to move up to 1 when all is said and done. The Texans are at zero leverage right now. No one wants to give them as much compensation as they are asking I don't think. We have two great trade partners in the Jaguar FO and the Rams FO. I think we are going to pressure the Texans into taking a first and a 3rd this year (at the most, who knows what we give next) if we do move up. Worst case scenario if we want one of those elite pass rushers (Clowney or Mack) we move up to #2 or 3 for much less.

We need a ready to start and be a real impact pass rusher or blocker. I don't feel like we get that at 6 right now unless someone falls. I'm not confident in Lewan, they're saying he's a plug and play starter at tackle, I don't buy that at all. Robinson and Matthews are the must have targets for our need.

Let's say we do trade huge for Clowney. We will all be horribly upset, especially if he busts. If the Falcons plan on being contenders again though, it could be another shot to get an extreme playmaker like when we got Jones. Despite me not feeling like Clowney is worth it, I can't sit an say I would be disgusted with the move. He's ridiculously talented and just needs the right environment to unlock his potential. If anyone can make him a pro-bowler, it's Mike Nolan. You are getting with Clowney, Mike Nolan's favorite type of player. An in the dirt impact 4-3 end, and a standing impact 3-4 lineman who has the athleticism not only to get to the QB, but to cover. If he is as dedicated as he actually comes off as in his interviews, Clowney is a no brainer for us.

So you see, I can really defend both sides of it here. Clowney sounds like a pipe dream player, but if he turns out like they say, man what a stud we could have on defense tht we've missed for years.

Rumors now saying that the Falcons could trade a 2nd round pick to the Chiefs for Safety Eric Berry.

It would be an 8.5M cal hit this year, and like a 5.7 M cap hit next year or something like that. We have 8.5M in cap space now and get another 4.7 or something like that on June 1st. That deal would make us real tight on cap space

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas (A&M)
  2. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota
  3. Dezmen Southward, FS, Wisconsin |
  4. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State |
  5. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame |
  6. Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue |
  7. Marquis Spruill, ILB, Clemson |
  8. Yawin Smallwood, LB, Connecticut |
  9. Tyler Starr, OLB, South Dakota |

Overally...

I am very pleased with this draft class. But the big thing for us was...we got bigger, we got tougher, and we added players who are not injury liabilities.

The reason why the Falcons took Southward over Brooks boggled me at first, but as I started digging a little more..it seems that Brooks has some spine concerns..which is never a good thing. Southward never missed a game for the Badgers, and I like his upside.

My fav pick of the draft is Freeman.

Small like Rodgers, but runs with a bigger heart. He is the receiving back I think Matt Ryan has yearned for..for a long time. He's very effective in pass pro too.

I'm pretty excited, not a lot of big names, but I def. think the Falcons as a group are trying to take the 'Iron Sharpens Iron Mentality' with the players they have brought in this off-season. We're not going to be pushovers like before..and starting from the inside out is a good thing.

I don't do grades, but overall I am very pleased with this class.

Good Work Falcons, last year really had me questioning..but we are taking steps in the right direction.

:Falcons::yep:

Matthews will help Matt Ryan out a lot, but I will say I'm glad the Falcons didn't get a pass rusher. It's obvious they want and need one. But not a horrible draft otherwise, things didn't fall their way and they made out as well as you can expect.

Not happy my boy Freeman is playing for Atlanta. :sigh:

I like the Hageman pick. He could be a stud if he's coached along properly. We have the right people in place to make him a force in the middle I think, Nolan loves guys like him.

Also, anyone see our UDFA? Highlight guys for me were:
Jerome Smith - He could actually work out as a solid running back in the league. First he has to make the team. Him being an UDFA falls under the "running backs aren't worth much anymore" category that the league is going by now.

Roosevelt Nix - http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2014/4/14/5613342/2014-nfl-draft-roosevelt-nix-kent-state-dl-scouting-report

Great read on Nix, they've brought him in as a full back, but he has huge upside on the defensive side of the ball as well. He could possibly play LB.

It's been difficult.

Roddy's brother just was killed...and now Julio's was shot, but is alive.

Still can't believe this.

The shootings of both their brothers will only further motivate them, at least I believe so. It's always sad to see that kind of stuff happen. Much more only a couple of weeks apart. What are the chances?

The more and more I hear about Devonta Freeman, the more I get excited about the kid. He may be the playmaker we've been looking for. Then again, he may just be another filler too. Way too early to tell.

We've certainly needed a home-run hitter at running back for a few years now. The last time we had one was when Norwood was on the field, and that was when he was healthy. He was made of glass. Too bad too, he was a great player when healthy - I digress....

Edited by Rain Man

Norwood just absolutely couldn't stay healthy. I have HOPE for all the rookies that the Falcons drafted. However I am going to be patient and try not to be overly enthusiastic since so many have failed to produce in the past.

Falcons signed ILB Tim Dobbins.

Dobbins, 31, appeared in three games for the Texans last season before getting his pink slip and spending the rest of the year on the street. He was a six-game starter for Houston the previous season when he racked up 43 tackles and received positive marks from PFF as a run defender and cover linebacker. Dobbins will compete for a roster spot in Atlanta after the Falcons lost Sean Weatherspoon to a torn Achilles' and traded away Akeem Dent to Houston.

We also acquired TJ Yates. Actually, I'm sort of excited about this move. It'll be nice to have a guy who can complete a couple passes if Matt Ryan were to go down with an injury.

Dobbins is nothing more than depth. He's no better or worse than Akeem Dent.

Yeah, serviceable back up QBs are a must in this league so this was definitely a good move by the Falcons.

The handwriting was on the wall that Drew Davis was gonna be cut too. Hopefully the Falcons don't NEED Yates though.

I like what we're doing right now.

As much as I loved Drew Davis, he wasn't taking the next step, and looked horrendous in pre-season games.

I feel a little more confident with Yates behind Ryan in case something did happen, can maybe be like a Redman kind of insurance policy.

Also like the fact we didn't go out and waste money on Vilma. Vilma is an alright player, but his knees are made of glass, and I just hate the guy...so good move there.

We have plenty of talent at LB, and we don't need a veteran who might play a full year stunting the growth of our younger guys.

Good for the Falcons to get TJ Yates, about time they get an upgrade over Matt Ryan. :smug:

:troll:

LOL okay so I goofed. I will readily admit that my brain doesn't always work right!